As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Anime] Strikes Back

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    why do you think his dialogue is a reference to that famous line from pippa passes, other than that the old translation made it to be

So your suggestion is that this is the one time they weren't referencing Paradise Lost or other famous Judea Christian stuff, they just strung words together at random that one time? And used that random string as a logo? That strikes me as unlikely. In the extreme.

Is the seele chairmain's line a japanese translation of the browning line?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Also can I just say that I feel that as someone who's understanding of Eva for years was based on its extensive merchandising, now that I've watched it, I find the whole concept of wanting any Eva merchandise utterly bewildering.

Not because it's bad, mind you, but because it almost feels antithetical to the nature of the show as I perceive it.

would you mind explaining that a little? I never thought of Eva as particularly anti-consumer.

It's less of an anti-consumer thing, and more of the series beating the viewer over the head over and over again that despite giant mecha being cool in theory, holy shit is it kind of a fucked up terrible thing to have literal teenagers piloting these nightmare machines in practice.

Like, I could not look at a lunchbox of Rei without feeling sad. Which, maybe I'm weird, but I don't want my lunchbox to depress me.

I mean,

This is every Gundam show ever made not named G or Build *something*.

In the original Gundam, Amuro is a barely responsive mess who isn't eating, stays awake for days, and never really recovers, even into other shows.

Hell, early in Victory gundam
    An enemy soldier sees the gundam is piloted by a like, 13 year old, has a mental breakdown and blows himself up with a grenade while sobbing.

Even a more lighthearted shows like ZZ ends with
    Judea being so disgusted with his commanding officers and the Federation that he punched Bright Noah in the face and fucks off to Jupiter for the rest of his life.

But they sure make a lot o gundam models.

Hell one of Mobile Suit Gundams most famous lines is Amuro reacting to Bright slapping him for refusing to go out and fight to the death.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Studio Ghibli animated Episode 11 of Evangelion.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Toonami is getting Gundam: Origin and Food Wars starting next week.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I wonder how censored that first episode of Food Wars is going to be.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I had heard so many good things about Food Wars so I watched the first episode and ah hmm

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I had heard so many good things about Food Wars so I watched the first episode and ah hmm

How good is it compared to Fighting Foodons?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

yeah the first handful of episodes are very

ah

hmmm

uh

okay

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

and then when they stop doing that stuff constantly and dig into the meat of the show it gets really cool

• Options
    And then the food consultant retired and the story kinda spiraled into oblivion, sadly.

First epilogue chapter was actually pretty good, though.

• Options
    This probably isn't going to surprise anyone but the artist for Food Wars was doing H-books before Food Wars. It takes a couple chapters for him to tone it down a bit. Just a bit though that series likes it fan service.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    So I've been continuing to read the new Jump comics aside from Nationalist Ninjas. Some thoughts.

Hachimaru is okay, but has its needle pointed WAY too hard towards "world building" compared to plot. Every chapter seems to throw more "this is how everything works!" While giving next to no reason to care about any of the characters. It looks like we're getting our first real villains, so hopefully that will address that lacking, but my interest is getting thin.

Taisei is...weird. The characters care about shogi, but I'm not convinced the author actually does? He seems to just be using shogi as the medium with which to tell a different story, and that story seems to not have a direction at the moment, so it feels a bit...listless? I don't see this one laying long at all, to be honest.

Beast Children is a by the numbers sports manga this far, but in this case seems to come from a genuine passion for the sport. I have no idea how long it'll last, but it seems to be from a place of interest, so I hope it does well.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Peas wrote: »
    The new SPY x FAMILY chapter is très élégant as usual
    https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1002420

Contains image from latest chapter

Manga Plus finally figured out how to do double pages on their vertical scroller. The images are tiny on the horizontal scroll.

E: It's just for Spy X Family? All the Jump series split the double pages in half.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah the first episode of Food Wars was very horny in a way I did not expect

then I read some of the comic and yeah, still horny

It doesn't seem bad, it was just a bit of a surprise.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Well hell so Totalbiscuit wasn't exaggerating about Food Wars then...

https://youtu.be/vRbjkc95lZ4

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I really don't need to hear what TotalBiscuit thought about anime.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Not sure how I feel about Food Wars coming (ha) to Toonami. I’ll probably give it a look when it airs, but I’m not too hopeful from what I’ve heard and seen.

A more eloquent person than me could probably describe why Food Wars is likely to bug me, while I’m totally fine with stuff like Lupin or Space Dandy.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about Food Wars coming (ha) to Toonami. I’ll probably give it a look when it airs, but I’m not too hopeful from what I’ve heard and seen.

A more eloquent person than me could probably describe why Food Wars is likely to bug me, while I’m totally fine with stuff like Lupin or Space Dandy.

Because the characters are in high school.

• Options
    xmwkjgkevsq5.jpeg

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    OMG that Jojo's image is perfect.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Food Wars will always have a special place in my heart

One of my culinary school classmates introduced me to it, and I've actually made a few of the recipes from the show at home

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

You can't defeat my stand, [DEAD PRESIDENTS]

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Nonono, it's [POLITICAL POWERS].

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

Because the characters are in high school.

Yeah, that pretty much nails it. Also, there’s a difference between stories where the characters have opinions and wants WRT sex, and stories where characters have sexy stuff happen to/around them.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Nonono, it's [POLITICAL POWERS].

[CULT OF PERSONALITY]

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    has to be a band or a song, this is jojo rules

I think Living Color would approve

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Part of me is like food wars is way too horny and I definitely agree with the criticisms listed above, but another part of me remembers the first bite some of the best meals I’ve ever had and frankly the show might be a documentary.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I am sad now because I never had any food before which is so good that it made my clothes explode
    edit: Having sichuan mala hotpot was the closest i guess due to how spicy and oily the whole thing was

Peas on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    D-Ux_RlUIAAxEll.png

Called the fuck out

Beasteh on
  • Options
    New OPM RAW is out, and the first page is an animated gif.

Murata is insane.

• Options
    I've heard that the man is going to animate Season 3 all by himself

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    D-Ux_RlUIAAxEll.png

Called the fuck out

What series is this from?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    So far in MHA I’m probably most fond of Iida, I empathize with his character more than the others.

I’m looking forward to seeing more, though! The whole cast is pretty likable. Between this and MP100 and YoI I have three feel-good shows with fantastic casts that have genuinely boosted my mood lately.

• Options
    It’s so weird how the anime streaming services handle their new season announcements.

Like, a couple dozen new shows are about to start or are already starting, and we have only a vague idea who has what and when.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    It’s so weird how the anime streaming services handle their new season announcements.

Like, a couple dozen new shows are about to start or are already starting, and we have only a vague idea who has what and when.

It's almost all decided last minute in a chum pit full of sharks

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the thrilling saga of woolie versus supereyepatchwolf begins a new chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqetAtMgMnU

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

And that’s stupid as hell!

• Options
    Iida is a good boy

A stubborn boy at times

But a good boy

• Options

And that’s stupid as hell!

If you want a complete list of shows regardless of streaming status there is Anichart.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.