As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Anime] Strikes Back

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Dr. Stone premieres this Friday, doesn’t it?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I was reminded today of the very weird, very dark, uncomfortably intense Flowers of Evil. The manga was a lot better done than the anime, but the anime adaptation was... interesting.

Probably NSFW, though the only nudity is a bit of dudebutt
    https://youtu.be/DeAtzp7ig1k
    In the original manga, the characters are in middle school, while the anime ages them up to late high school. It feels weird to say, "This dark, sexually charged story needed to be about middle schoolers," but it kiiinda did. The inciting incident is Kasuga stealing the gym clothes of his crush, which is definitely weird and not-ok, but for a middle schooler it's a little more understandable. He doesn't even really know why he does it, it's just a burst of adolescent stupidity that he pretty much immediately regrets. Like he has sexual desires but he doesn't really have any kind of understanding of them yet. Then his classmate Nakamura finds out, and blackmails him into increasingly weirder, sexually charged performances. Nakamura is depressed and probably self-harming, and also abusive towards Kasuga, often with a sexual tinge to her abuse. The manga never comes outright and tells you why she is the way she is, but it's pretty heavily hinted that her father is sexually abusing her, and that she is in turn acting out sexual abuse on Kasuga. Nakamura and Kasuga go into a downward spiral together, culminating in them attempting a public suicide attempt at a festival.

Luckily they're stopped before they can hurt themselves, and then the manga timeskips forwards to Kasuga in his last year of high school, basically still trying to get his life together and to form healthy relationships.

The mangaka also wrote Inside Mari, which is a pretty interesting take on the whole freaky friday body swap scenario, although he pretty blatantly loses interest in it in the final third and the quality plummets.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    It’s so weird how the anime streaming services handle their new season announcements.

Like, a couple dozen new shows are about to start or are already starting, and we have only a vague idea who has what and when.

It's almost all decided last minute in a chum pit full of sharks

And that’s stupid as hell!

If you want a complete list of shows regardless of streaming status there is Anichart.

That’s worthless to me as it doesn’t tell me when or where I can actually watch them

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Ooh, Dr. Stone premieres this Friday, doesn’t it?

And Fire Force. There's a few things this week, but Friday is when we hit critical mass for premiers.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    It’s so weird how the anime streaming services handle their new season announcements.

Like, a couple dozen new shows are about to start or are already starting, and we have only a vague idea who has what and when.

It's almost all decided last minute in a chum pit full of sharks

And that’s stupid as hell!

If you want a complete list of shows regardless of streaming status there is Anichart.

That’s worthless to me as it doesn’t tell me when or where I can actually watch them

I think live chart links where to watch things as soon as it's known.

• Options
    if a show seems interesting just type in the title on google + "streaming", 95% of the time one of the first 3 links will be the official stream.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    if a show seems interesting just type in the title on google + "streaming", 95% of the time one of the first 3 links will be the official stream.

Of which, the vast majority of said official streams are still either unannounced or just say TBA.

Look, I can figure out how to watch a thing, I’m just saying the haphazard way that streaming services actually announce their schedules is bad and does very little to actually promote most of their shows.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    has to be a band or a song, this is jojo rules

I think Living Color would approve

C'mon now, this one should have been a layup.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Beasteh wrote: »
    D-Ux_RlUIAAxEll.png

Called the fuck out

What series is this from?

Naughty Succubus "Saki-chan"

it's a lot more wholesome than it sounds!

(as in it contains absolutely zero lewdness/H etc)

(just IMPLICATIONS for COMIC EFFECT)

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I do not like the penguin in Eva

it feels so out of place!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    honestly most of the time i forget that Eva has a penguin in it.

a penguin that drinks beer.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    It's Japanese live action rather than anime, but I'm watching Documental on Prime

Basically, a bunch of comedians are gathered and asked to pay a million yen entry fee

Then they're placed into a room

If you laugh, you're eliminated. Last one standing gets the whole pot

Much of the comedy revolves around them taking their clothes off and doing stupid shit

It's incredibly tacky and stupid, and I am in enjoying it very much

• Options
    BcowsHD.png?width=562&height=569

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

Oddly enough, that sounds like something I've heard crows actually say out in the world.
    the thrilling saga of woolie versus supereyepatchwolf begins a new chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqetAtMgMnU

No need for Wolf to put a Gon to Woolie's head like that...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I read a bit of that one. it's not very interesting?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

crows are smart though. like they are way smarter than almost all other birbs

• Options
    theres a crow that lives in the field near my house thats pretty tame

i feed him sometimes

• Options
    crows can recognize different individuals. that birb knows you. trusts you. and you go sharing anti-crow propaganda on the internet?

have you no shame? no integrity?

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    I read a bit of that one. it's not very interesting?

From what I've heard it's got one hell of a title and not much else. Which already puts it ahead of some other isekai, sadly.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Of which, the vast majority of said official streams are still either unannounced or just say TBA.

Look, I can figure out how to watch a thing, I’m just saying the haphazard way that streaming services actually announce their schedules is bad and does very little to actually promote most of their shows.

Is it the streaming service, or just the actual schedule being decide super late?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

And with a bunch of Isekai series coming this is still somehow in the running for one of the better if not best of the batch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    has to be a band or a song, this is jojo rules

I think Living Color would approve

C'mon now, this one should have been a layup.

I think Cult of Personality works better given some of them aren't presidents, honestly

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I've watched up to the 13th episode of Eva now and I think I'm getting bored, it's starting to feel repetitive and samey

here's three scenes establishing the character-based storyline this week, oh no an angel!!, let's spend the next 15 minutes of the episode fighting the angel, and a 2 minute wrapup of the character story and maybe one little worldbuilding hint

it's still good, but after the first 5 episode that were outstanding it feels like a letdown seeing it just be a regular ass TV show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Go just a little further.

I mean it’s still angel attacks but you’re definitely in the part that feels more like a typical giant robot show

• Options
    I know it's supposed to change in some kinda way as it approaches the end, I'm just taken aback by how conventional a lot of these episodes have been so far

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    ah yes, the creamy middle episodes of eva, lulling you into a false sense of security

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    what is dr stone about

I hear about it in passing but im not familiar

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    what is dr stone about

I hear about it in passing but im not familiar

All of humanity is turned to stone one day.

~3700 years later, one strong willed dude busts out of the stone, and finds his friend had done the same. The friend knows all the Science, so from caveman level technology the two of them attempt to survive, then depetrify other people, then rebuild society.

It's written by the Eyeshield 21 author, and drawn by Boichi, who did Sun Ken Rock, among other things.

I like it a lot. The science bits are especially interesting.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    neat, I will probably check that out

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Yeah, it's worth a look. It's basically Shonen Civ (how will we rebuild civilization!) but also with some conflict, and it...how to put it? It reinvents what the challenge of the time is pretty regularly, which works well for it.

Also it's got some of the best reaction panels of any manga, so hopefully that translates well to anime.

At this point I'd say its primary weakness is the style with which Boichi draws females? It's kinda odd.

Also it's got like NCIS levels of "science" in terms of what would actually work but we handwave it because manga.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Speaking of new anime season, crunchyroll has the first episode of the first new series of the season, To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts.

The concept for it made it sound like it could have potentially gone in an interesting direction. The idea is that during a civil war, one faction uses genetically engineered monster soldiers to turn the tide, but what happens to them once the war is over?

Unfortunately it appears to have just turned into good monster man fighting monster people who have lost themselves in monster mode, and his motivation is that the big monster man shot the girl he loved.

I mean, maybe they’ll be smart and have it go an x-men route where some of them join the obviously wolverine inspired hero, some of them join the villain (whose name is goddamn Cain Madhouse...who decided to give him powers again???) and some are just trying to get by. But right now I’m doubtful.

rhylith on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's real goofy, but fun. It's way more exaggerated than his usual art, so it should adapt pretty well to anime? And it stays pretty high energy without a million fight scenes, which is nice.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah, it's worth a look. It's basically Shonen Civ (how will we rebuild civilization!) but also with some conflict, and it...how to put it? It reinvents what the challenge of the time is pretty regularly, which works well for it.

Also it's got some of the best reaction panels of any manga, so hopefully that translates well to anime.

At this point I'd say its primary weakness is the style with which Boichi draws females? It's kinda odd.

Also it's got like NCIS levels of "science" in terms of what would actually work but we handwave it because manga.

Yeah my biggest criticism of it is that basically every female character is drawn in this really cheesecakey way.

Also the latest storyline may dip into “haha man dressed as a woman” jokes which is... not great!

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »

It’s never explicitly mentioned in the series IIRC, but it’s a memento from her father’s trip to Antarctica. edit: see below.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

It’s never explicitly mentioned in the series IIRC, but it’s a memento from her father’s trip to Antarctica.

...and based on a real life pet penguin that was popular in Japan at the time.

• Options
    Oh, I didn’t know that!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Apparently I was making stuff up. In the manga PenPen comes from a previous research facility Misato worked at and she took it home to spare it from euthanasia when that lab closed. Here’s what Anno had to say about it:
    Series creator Hideaki Anno explained in an essay on his official website how the character of Pen Pen was created and named (italics are inserted info by Evapedia):
    "Super straightforward naming, but I thought the repetition sounded cute. His name has officially become the 2nd power of "Pen ("Pen" being short for "penguin," repeated as " Pen² "). I was reluctant at first, but we thought we needed a mascot character, so we had an animal appear in the show. As it happened, the show is set in Hakone, which is famous for its hot springs, which in turn are associated with monkeys (the Japanese Macaque monkey is famous for bathing in hot springs, such as in Hakone [1]). But that is no fun, so we decided to make it a penguin, the animal most unsuited to a hot spring. I'm positive that "hot spring penguin" was Sadamoto's idea."

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I was reminded today of the very weird, very dark, uncomfortably intense Flowers of Evil. The manga was a lot better done than the anime, but the anime adaptation was... interesting.

In the original manga, the characters are in middle school, while the anime ages them up to late high school. It feels weird to say, "This dark, sexually charged story needed to be about middle schoolers," but it kiiinda did. The inciting incident is Kasuga stealing the gym clothes of his crush, which is definitely weird and not-ok, but for a middle schooler it's a little more understandable. He doesn't even really know why he does it, it's just a burst of adolescent stupidity that he pretty much immediately regrets. Like he has sexual desires but he doesn't really have any kind of understanding of them yet. Then his classmate Nakamura finds out, and blackmails him into increasingly weirder, sexually charged performances. Nakamura is depressed and probably self-harming, and also abusive towards Kasuga, often with a sexual tinge to her abuse. The manga never comes outright and tells you why she is the way she is, but it's pretty heavily hinted that her father is sexually abusing her, and that she is in turn acting out sexual abuse on Kasuga. Nakamura and Kasuga go into a downward spiral together, culminating in them attempting a public suicide attempt at a festival.

Luckily they're stopped before they can hurt themselves, and then the manga timeskips forwards to Kasuga in his last year of high school, basically still trying to get his life together and to form healthy relationships.

The mangaka also wrote Inside Mari, which is a pretty interesting take on the whole freaky friday body swap scenario, although he pretty blatantly loses interest in it in the final third and the quality plummets.

I wish they had done a second season for this but the Blu-Rays sold abysmally in Japan.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I wish they had done a second season for this but the Blu-Rays sold abysmally in Japan.

It's an interesting idea, but the execution on the rotoscoping and stuff was pretty dire, tbf.

Like that video mostly picks from better done sequences, and they DO get better at it as the series goes on. And I like that the art style is a little ugly and uncomfortable. But sometimes it was just baaad.

• Options
    you know, I'm no scientist, but I feel like giant robots shouldn't roar or have stretchy limbs or bleed

just one man's take

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.