As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I've only cleared with the bow the sword and the rail yet? Maybe just the sword and the rail.

It's been a few months.

I can't for the life of me get past elysium with any heat.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sisyphus' keepsake got revamped, it now gives you +% damage to your attack/cast/special while you have no boons. This could lead to some interesting run styles.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What are those boxes under the keepsakes anyway?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

If you max out the friendship meters on the home characters they give you stuffed toys that can be used as summons in battle.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

If you max out the friendship meters on the home characters they give you stuffed toys that can be used as summons in battle.

I just got Mag's, and it's BEASTLY.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Sisyphus' is my favourite - he and bouldy drop in, bouldy doing a chunk of damage to whatever they land on, and Sisyphus drops some coins, darkness, and food. Not a ton of healing, but it can make the difference between losing a death defy on a boss fight or not, and if you have any uses left you can use them on the last few rooms before you face the final boss to heal up a bit more

• Options
    My first new hidden aspect unlock was for Exagryph(the gun). I see now why they hid the full name in the patch notes, not the aspect I was expecting though I'm not surprised. I really like it though, going to have to try a run with it.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I am so happy about the who the railgun aspect is.
    Lightbringer
    Lightbringer, as in Lucifer? Or am I missing a reference to something else?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    you are not missing anything

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh this new anvil thing is amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have been way into this lately and I can't believe how effective this is as a "just one more run" game despite the runs taking like 35 minutes on average

It's SO easy to get caught in an infinite loop of just going back over and over

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Sisyphus' is my favourite - he and bouldy drop in, bouldy doing a chunk of damage to whatever they land on, and Sisyphus drops some coins, darkness, and food. Not a ton of healing, but it can make the difference between losing a death defy on a boss fight or not, and if you have any uses left you can use them on the last few rooms before you face the final boss to heal up a bit more

There’s honestly not much of a reason to take any of the others IMO. The extra money and healing (especially once completely leveled up to 5 stars) outweighs a one-time-per-encounter damage burst in a few encounters by a lot.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also the new Hermes boon (Side Hustle) that gives you bonus gold just for entering a chamber combos really well with the mirror buff that gives you a % of your total gold after every boss, if you get it early. I bought out Charon’s shop completely in the last chamber and had plenty left over.

• Options
    Did one run to test the new waters.

Love the new changes to the Asphodel boss - much easier to read attacks, and it's possible to find safe spaces. Much more manageable fight.

The Elysium boss is somehow even more annoying and harder to read. Boo.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I would have so much more success if I was more patient using melee weapons

but dodging in and beating the final boss' face in a race of their health against my Death Defiances is so much fun

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ok finally got enough time in on Dead Cells that I got an achievement only 1% of players have gotten, beaten Binding of Isaac about a thousand times, and I don't see myself getting any father I'm Rogue Legacy.

Considering Badtion and Transistor are favorites of mine, how much will I line Hades?

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ok finally got enough time in on Dead Cells that I got an achievement only 1% of players have gotten, beaten Binding of Isaac about a thousand times, and I don't see myself getting any father I'm Rogue Legacy.

Considering Badtion and Transistor are favorites of mine, how much will I line Hades?

A lot

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Not super similar to Transistor, but if you liked Bastion and you like roguelikes, I think you'll be pleased with Hades.

• Options
    Hades is easily the best iteration of a roguelite to date, imo

• Options
    The run length in Hades is exactly perfect for me. It's not so brief that decisions feel pointless, it's not so long that death feels enervating. There are little morsels of story and character work whenever you're done. It is a deeply satisfying way to spend an hour.

Or eight.

• Options
    yeah at the end a full run in dead cells was feeling really long, and I'd know by the end of the second area if I was going to have a bad time or not

• Options
    It also helps that everyone in Hades is incredibly hot

• Options
    Isaac is still my favorite roguelite by far, but only because the sheer scale of it dwarfs everything else

Hades eschews the ridiculous number of item/buff synergies and is a much tighter experience, which is not a bad thing

Play Isaac if you want a massive game where two runs are nothing alike and there is potential to break the game in half over your knee

Play Hades if you want a relatively balanced roguelite experience with faster-paced combat and a much better story/characters

Really, though, play both

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Veldrin wrote: »

There's an archetype for everyone! Childhood friend, tsundere, genki girl, tomboy, twink, beefcake, bimbo, multiple flavors of himbo, mommy, daddy, granny, mysterious, skeleton, narcoleptic druggie, and boulder!

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Booted up Hades for the first time since around the initial launch and began a new file, since I wanted to see all the new stuff from scratch.

In only five runs I'd made it to Meg three times and defeated her on the most recent, which I'd never done before.

Also holy cow Nyx got a huge overhaul huh

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

There's an archetype for everyone! Childhood friend, tsundere, genki girl, tomboy, twink, beefcake, bimbo, multiple flavors of himbo, mommy, daddy, granny, mysterious, skeleton, narcoleptic druggie, and boulder!

I always save a nectar in my inventory to give to Bouldy :3

• Options
    So I'm not sure why they added this, but they added a new Daedalus boon that increases the damage of each consecutive arrow hit fired by the bow's special. This does work with the boon that increases arrows per special by +4. The Chiron bow was pretty strong before(but not broken imo), but now it's just ridiculous.

• Options
    Hmm yeah, I'm digging this. Got all the weapons unlocked except the last one. Love the shield and fists so far. I give all nectar to my good good doggie. Beat Meg and called it a night.

Can't help but notice there's room for two more weapons they could add

• Options
    CalciumtriceCalciumtrice Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I used the new bow aspect in my last run and its special with Zeus' lightning added and a +4 shots upgrade from a hammer?

Oh boy! That's a powerful one! You can just hold down the button, you don't even need to press for each volley.

Gonna go try out the new gun aspect now.

Update: The new gun aspect is... not my thing! Managed to get it to the surface though so I can safely ignore it now if I want to, I guess.

Calciumtrice on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ate shit on my first go at the new boss fight. Seems really hard for the reward

edit: hmm, the boss buffing debuff i had maxed out might have been helping him

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The new bonus boss seemed really predictable imo. Beefy as hell, sure, but also kinda just doing a lot of big super telegraphed attacks

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The new gun aspect is... not my thing! Managed to get it to the surface though so I can safely ignore it now if I want to, I guess.

I had a good time with it, but I was running with Athena's-dash and that was helpful since any sort of damage blows up the grenades.

Dio providing Hangover damage on the attack is also a recommendation since it's constantly stacking.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My current run with the rail, I have the aspect that makes me do extra damage when I'm in the blast radius*.
    I have a lvl 2 Epic version of the Aphrodite boon that gives it Weak and +186% damage
    I have the Daedalus upgrades that let me cast it 3 times in a row, and enemies hit by it are slowed and take +30% damage.
    I also have the boon that makes weakened enemies take extra damage.
    My attack does chill and has +92% from Demeter, and +30ish from Chaos.

I then in short order picked up the duo boon that makes my god effect auto charge to and cap at 25% in like 5 seconds for my Zeus call, and the one that makes my revenge effects (lightning and doom) fire automatically every 3 seconds.

it has gotten really silly.
    edit: Oh right the asterisk. Does the daedalus upgrade that makes the special do 200% centered on yourself actually damage yourself or is that just goofy flavor text?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The one with red text I think implies that you take damage as well.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I make some questionable decisions concerning Pact selections. I tend to choose the one that boosts trap damage because I am pretty good at not ending up in traps. This last run I decided to use the spear's hidden aspect and make it to Elysium without too much trouble and then proceed to walk in front of the statue spear traps twice in a row instantly killing me each time thanks to the weapon's health reduction.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I wish you could go up in heat without clearing the current heat level first and still get rewards

Its annoying to have every weapon stuck with one boss left at the current rank when I could definitely do at least the first two bosses at one or two heat higher and get bounties that are actually useful for making progress

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    That might be the kind of feedback they're looking for in their development - you could try suggesting that to them in a message or post or whatever!

• Options
    I had an awesome run with the spear tonight. Special +40% damage, special chains to up to 7 enemies and does +30% extra damage per, special sends out chain lightning, lightning deals Thunder damage when they attack next.

I just sat in corners hucking my spear and not even moving.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The spear is easily my least favorite weapon. The melee, charge attack, and throw just never sync up well together so it just feels like a worse version of other weapons. None of the aspects really make for a better play style either.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Whoever said the Hydra is easier now is a filthy filthy liar