As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKpCmqtZ_jQ
    I see, this is how I'm supposed to be playing

Yes. Chen, if kitted properly, will produce insane amounts of rice, more than enough to feed you and any commanderies. Right now in my campaign, the warring commanderies are so poor with food, that I am getting 1000+ a turn EACH from Yuan Shao, Liu Bei, Sun Jian and Kong Rong for 5 rice a turn each.

It also helps to keep them on the hook, because if they attack you, there goes their reserves.

EDIT: That video. Good lord. He's got that "English YouTube Voice."

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Cao Cao's special military farming rice building gives +10% replenishment faction wide (unlike the grain version that is local). Its something worth making the trip down south for.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I just wanted to discredit my boy Zilong so he'd leave Gongsun Zan's service since whatever event there is supposed to be never triggered.

That's a nope...

I was wondering about this as I never got him in my Liu Bei game until Gongsun Zan conceded emperorship and I got him through confederation. As it turns out, the event to get him is triggered by fighting Yuan Shao's forces in battle as Liu Bei, which makes sense I guess. Still don't know if there's still an element of random chance to it, even then.
    Goddammit...yeah, I'm fighting Yuan Shao finally now...except Gongsun Zan's in his alliance and my guess is that disables it. Also haven't managed to get Huang Zhong or Ma Chao but I haven't done managed to figure out the Liu Biao event either or gone all the way over to the west yet.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Is the rating for your trustworthy score really only supposed to go down/up by 1 every 10 turns?

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Three Kingdoms has sold over a million copies in a week according to a Facebook status they just put out.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    From what I've ready 3K has been selling like gangbusters in China.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    The game recently recommended I turn the campaign difficulty down to easy :(

Me too. It seems clear that there are mechanics that I'm just not getting, because the dude I was fighting at the time had managed to field three almost full stacks on four total settlements while I could only just afford one on about 7. Then again, the AI always seems to cheat even on normal. I'm slowly getting the hang of things, but some AI factions blob really quickly and I still don't understand the diplomacy well enough to avoid getting stabbed in the back.

Vic on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    The game recently recommended I turn the campaign difficulty down to easy :(

Me too. It seems clear that there are mechanics that I'm just not getting, because the dude I was fighting at the time had managed to field three almost full stacks on four total settlements while I could only just afford one on about 7. Then again, the AI always seems to cheat even on normal. I'm slowly getting the hang of things, but some AI factions blob really quickly and I still don't understand the diplomacy well enough to avoid getting stabbed in the back.

I constantly get a prompt to turn it down to easy. It's because of military strength comparisons. I make 10k+ a turn and have 10 commanderies and just threw money at the Shu-Han Duchy to vandalize them.

I'm Kong Rong and armies lower my trade dominance.

Also if that guy has 3 commanderies but 4 full stacks he also probably has vassals (and is yuan shao). Each vassal gives 20% their income to their overlord. Who then uses that to bribe a new guy into vassalage, snowballing their economy and meaning they reap all the profits without incurring any buildup costs.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Am I right in thinking that I’m the emperor stage I only need to take the capitals to win?

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that I’m the emperor stage I only need to take the capitals to win?

Yes.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    This is very doable. I’m not even at war with them and cao cao is within marching distance of lu bu

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    It's also pretty great because 9 times out of 10 the Kingdom of Wu is one of the three seats.

You take one look at their territory (y'know, HALF OF CHINA) and wonder how you're gonna motivate yourself for that slog.

Then you remember that they never move their capital from Changsha, so you just need to sail an army up the Yangtze river and burn that place down in a surprise raid.

In my experience though, the other Emperors concede their seats long before you actually reach their capital.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    I have not found spies very useful

I have yet to have a spy be hired. They leave for a few turns and always come back.

Even if they don't get hired, they scout the locations for you.

If they do get hired, they can do some neat things with trade routes and satisfaction to start with. Not to mention constant up to date information on all of their stats (Under the spy page it'll show all of their income, items, generals, you name it)

If they become a general, they can wipe out a full stack when you go to war with that person.

You can steal territories if they are an administrator

I haven't gotten anyone up into the ruling family yet. That ones hard. Hopefully it lets you just take out the faction leader and annex them

I managed to get my spy to take over from Yuan Shao, but without any input on my behalf. I noticed that she was selected as heir, and while I was waiting for the cover to build to be able to assassinate Yuan Shao he died anyway somehow and she inherited. From there everything carries on as normal unfortunately with no option to either transfer ownership through espionage or diplomatically. There is an option to instigate a civil war however. This causes your spy to break away as a new faction with some random settlements and generals, obviously at war with the previous faction. I’ve joined in on my spy’s side but as yet not managed to finish the war thanks to the other ongoing wars with Dong Min, Cao Cao and Liu Biao. I can peace out with Yuan Shao’s faction but that’s only me personally, nothing to do with the civil war. Still no way of merging with my spy through espionage, and confederation is disabled while a faction is in a civil war, apparently.

It seems the most useful thing from all this is you spawn a new faction who has a high opinion of you. The other options to enhance trade, or cause army attrition are far more useful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    So I started my first game away from the north and yall were not kidding about yaun shao. Without me up there acting as something of a blocker to him he has vassalized everyone but gongun zan up in that area. I dont even know how i am gonna break that mess up when i finally have to turn that way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I think Yuan Shao needs a hotfix of some kind, because it seems like right now he causes every endgame to become a giant clusterfuck with every faction on the map as his vassal and no chance for peace. He declared war on me for no real reason, but I can't make peace because he's at -150 for At War With My Allies and like man you really suck that's no good.

I just want to have a big slug out with Cao Cao! Leave me alone!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The way war works with someone's vassals needs another pass. If someone declares war on one of your vassals, you shouldn't have to take the diplomatic penalty to defend them. Last night Shao and all his vassals declare war on one of my vassals. I could either take a diplo hit by breaking my vassal agreement or breaking my trade and non-aggression pact with Shao. He should have to be the one to break these treaties and take the hit rather than me.

• Options
    I took control of the Emperor before the end game so I have all of Han as a vassal and I was surprised to discover that it's fucking huge.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The number of armies that Yuan Shao is throwing at me is...shocking. I wiped out 2 armies in Cao Cao's center plains area and moved north to recapture Luoyang (the old capitol). This was the 4th time it has changed hands in this campaign. Only to find that I needed to retreat immediately to the province south of it because 6 full stacks swarmed through there.

Sun Ren, Lady Sun, and Dong Li (let's just say she's a Sun cousin; she's related and I have no idea how). These three ladies are captain marvel level of woman power on this map. I had them lay in ambush south of the city, and when 3 stacks came swarming in assuming it was empty, they found these three.

My game literally was stuttering for 20 minutes. The AI's commands were being issued no problem. But my units would just sit there. The towers and the catapults probably killed half the army on their own. The rest was a trial of patience and divide and conquer. Isolate a group of warriors of he, charge my merc cavalry into the rear or flank, and watch them melt. Rinse & repeat.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Yea it is. Between wars with liu biao as sun jian I have been gobbling up han lands in the south and theres just too much of it jesus.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ambush battles in this game fucking own

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

It makes it hard to play anybody else rather than Zhang Yan.

He has a good solid starting position, but the main thing is his default army stance is stalk. Ambush all the time every time.

edit: I also really like Huang Shao, but the Yellow Turbans not being allowed to trade is a deal breaker for me. Might see if there's a mod that changes that.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    I was surprised to discover that apparently this doesn’t have cloud saves

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I was surprised to discover that apparently this doesn’t have cloud saves

It does, you just have to click “save to cloud” every time you make a manual save

Kind of annoying!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I love how well thought out the tech&building tree is. Overall. Grain silos seem rather useless, but otherwise it's great! Even tax collectors (which first struck me as kind of bad due to how high the orderpenalty is) are really useful since they allow you to individually adjust the tax level for a province. Sure, I doubt I'll even build the biggest tax collector, but they don't cost money to build (only time and a slot), so that's A-OK.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

It makes it hard to play anybody else rather than Zhang Yan.

He has a good solid starting position, but the main thing is his default army stance is stalk. Ambush all the time every time.

edit: I also really like Huang Shao, but the Yellow Turbans not being allowed to trade is a deal breaker for me. Might see if there's a mod that changes that.

They get to trade eventually. The higher enlightenment they get, the more diplomacy is allowed

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I love how well thought out the tech&building tree is. Overall. Grain silos seem rather useless, but otherwise it's great! Even tax collectors (which first struck me as kind of bad due to how high the orderpenalty is) are really useful since they allow you to individually adjust the tax level for a province. Sure, I doubt I'll even build the biggest tax collector, but they don't cost money to build (only time and a slot), so that's A-OK.

Grain silos are theoretically useful in border provinces that you want to survive being sieged for a long time. Stack the silo supply and the military supply and the city can last for a lot of turns.

You can also use it simply for the public order. Stack the silo, military, and temple public order bonuses to complety offset the -30 public order for max population + tax collector in a peasantry income focused province. It takes a lot of turns to max out but I think it can hit 4k gold a turn.

The build would be land organization (food merchant), government support (peasantry income focus), tax collector, silo, garrison, temple, in a commandery with one or two peasantry income settlements. Use an administrator and an assignment for corruption reduction. You can't support more than one or two of this kind of province as the food cost is enormous and it needs the administrator and assignment slots for corruption reduction.

Kong Rong does this kind of province very well with his trade influence bonus from population and his special +growth, +public order building (replace the grain silo lol).

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah the big thing with the tax building is that peasant income scales with population, so while it seems underwhelming early on it can be quite effective in bigger cities. Peasant income can be buffed pretty easily on top off that too.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I did a fair bit better with building management this time. Basically it was:

Does it have built in commerce or industry? If yes, spec for income
    Does it have built in food production? If yes, spec for increasing food
    Does it have neither? If yes, spec for general/prestige
    I don't have any military focused commanderies, because I did fine with just basic militia.

The reform system is still totally overwhelming and kind of obtuse though.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I did a fair bit better with building management this time. Basically it was:

Does it have built in commerce or industry? If yes, spec for income
    Does it have built in food production? If yes, spec for increasing food
    Does it have neither? If yes, spec for general/prestige
    I don't have any military focused commanderies, because I did fine with just basic militia.

The reform system is still totally overwhelming and kind of obtuse though.

How so? It's basically just a tech tree with 5 sections depending on what you focus on

Blue for commerce
    Purple for industry
    Green for food
    Red for military
    Gold for admin

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    It's got a lot of hidden requirements and it's also pretty difficult for a new player to know which tree they should focus on/if they should mix and match.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    The most important reforms IMO are the +10% replenishment and +15% campaign movement speed ones. After that its just what you need in the moment for your economy, usually corruption reduction or higher tiers of your main income building types. Public order is also nice if you have a faction leader with reduced public order (Ma Teng as an example).

The +1 trade agreement reforms are good but since you need a trade partner, just unlock it to check if there is an available agreement partner and reload if there isn't.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    The most important reforms IMO are the +10% replenishment and +15% campaign movement speed ones. After that its just what you need in the moment for your economy, usually corruption reduction or higher tiers of your main income building types. Public order is also nice if you have a faction leader with reduced public order (Ma Teng as an example).

The +1 trade agreement reforms are good but since you need a trade partner, just unlock it to check if there is an available agreement partner and reload if there isn't.

How do you check the number of Trade Agreements you can make?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I couldn't find it in the UI anywhere explicitly. Its a pretty bad oversight, unless I'm blind lol.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

I couldn't find it in the UI anywhere explicitly. Its a pretty bad oversight, unless I'm blind lol.

It's in the Diplomacy screen in the lower-left part where you see who you're at war with, your non-aggression pacts, etc. There'll be one there that'll read "1/2" or whatever.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular

Open up diplomacy. Above who you/your target is at war with there's a bit for trade agreements. It'll tell you how many you have / how many you can have.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

You want to visit an optician. It's right there in the diplomacy screen where you see what treaties you currently have.
    Personally I try to have +1 trade agreement (unless I have other research priorities). Trade is good, and if you have an open trade agreement slot then trade agreements will come.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

When you are in a Diplomacy negotiation screen with another faction, bottom left will show your current/max trade agreements, bottom right will show theirs.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I betrayed Kong Rong when I realized he had the Emperor and had the gall to move him next to my capital. I'm dissapointed that he's just a an empire status buff. As Liu Bei I thought a happy event would happen, rescuing his nephew and all.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I did it. After years of bloody slog at the end, and the loss of my son Sun Ci, Sun Ce conquered the imperial seat of the Kingdom of Song, bringing the Empire of Wu to the last thrown and uniting China under one emperor. The same turn, I met with my good, dear friend Lui Bei (allies for a good portion of the game, and he was my vassal for most of the endgame), who also came from poverty, and offered him the chance no one else would get: confederate with me, and join my dynasty. He of course did so (with threat of war if he didn't). That gave me enough counties to officially finish the campaign and unite China under Sun Jian. Who, despite being a field general for most of the game, and it ending in 225 CE, was still alive. And even more beautifully, a couple of years before becoming emperor of all China, he got to destroy the obnoxious asshole Yuan-Shu under his boot.

This game was shit tons of fun.

never die on
This discussion has been closed.