As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Yeah, it used to be if you had a PS4 and a Switch you were covered for nearly everything that came out, since Microsoft kind of forgot that they needed to produce games of their own for a while there.

But Microsoft seems to be fixing that finally, especially with their game studio shopping spree last year. Business-wise they should have done that long ago, but it'll make things rougher for those annoyed by exclusives.

At any rate, I'll be curious to see what game announcements (if any) we'll get from those purchases. Seems like it would be way too early, but who knows.

Actually Microsoft just yesterday announced their commitment to bringing their games to not just the Windows Store but to Steam as well.

Even before this announcement their first party titles were available on PC too. If you bought one for Xbone you'd automatically have it for PC as well and vice versa.

Well, it was spotty. Sunset Overdrive didn't come over for years.

Though that's a cool announcement. Microsoft's been bending over backwards to be pro-consumer lately -- hopefully it lasts.

They did seemingly take some shots at Epic by saying, "We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games".

But yeah, it has been Phil Spencer's goal for years now to make Microsoft games available everywhere. After the disastrous Xbone fiasco they brought him in to fix things and he has basically 180'd the company's previous (arguably anti-consumer) philosophy.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The BC stuff on Xbox is always growing, even if the additions have slowed down somewhat

They recently added the Eric Chahi classic From Dust to BC. I long for a return to the glory days of XBLA and Summer of Arcade events.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Xbox One needs to have a certain atmosphere to it. You get that when you boot up a PS4.

The original Xbox had those weird sounds after you booted it up.

I liked that Rare games collection. I need to dig it out again.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    There was also the game that had streamed cutscenes on the Xbox. What was that called?

Quantum Break, right? The one with the cutscenes that were just tv episodes?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Xbox One needs to have a certain atmosphere to it. You get that when you boot up a PS4.

The original Xbox had those weird sounds after you booted it up.

Eh the boot sequence for the PS4 is the weakest PS startup of all the Sony consoles. Also the 1X has a cool "explosion" effect

• Options
    I like that lazy PS4 music.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/9mIuKntRXv4
    Nakey Jakey has spoken

• Options
    The original PS1 boot up is the best.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    There was also the game that had streamed cutscenes on the Xbox. What was that called?

Quantum Break, right? The one with the cutscenes that were just tv episodes?

Yes. That was it. There was an option to download all of them. I need to see if I did that.

Hopefully, that still works.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Beyond Good & Evil 2 wont be show at E3 this year, but there will be a live stream to show off progress on the 5th.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n37822/beyond-good-and-evil-2-e3-2019

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I don't really know what to think about BG&E. Some news is better than silence, but... I don't know. Ubi is just weird. The whole UbiArt initiative (unrelated, but a similarly independent offshoot within Ubi proper) kinda went nowhere after its first few releases, and I feel like Ancel's endeavor is similarly floundering. But who knows. Maybe BG&E2 will be the best game of all time.

I'm getting really hyped for E3 and all of the pressers. Just an exciting time, especially with (typically slower) summer looming.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Is BG&E2's co-op like Borderlands or online-only like Destiny?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    All Microsoft needs is to bring back 1 vs 100 for a return to Dominance.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

We barely know anything about the game as far as I know.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    All Microsoft needs is to bring back 1 vs 100 for a return to Dominance.

Still sad I never got all the achievements in that

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

Ubi probably has no idea what the game is either.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Ubi probably has no idea what the game is either.

I assume they are trying to relearn how to make games that aren't open world, Ubi-collectathons.

edit- Aw man, I just realized that they probably aren't. Now I've made myself sad.

Axen on
  • Options

GameCube is better. Hold buttons down to make the sound different!

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I always preferred the Dreamcast startup sound myself. Hearing it always takes me back to when the graphics blew me away. Was quite the summer when I got to rent that before actual release.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

They did a video of what they had a few months ago, basically a universe where you can land on planets to do stuff and then there was just space along an open-world concept. (Sorry Axen, but if that video holds true is' Ubi-World in SPACE)

In the demo, they started out in a city, flew around, got into a ship and broke orbit and then some other stuff happened. It was a while back. Conceptually it was very interesting, but practically/as a game it's unlikely to land that way, or at such a large scale. Was a fairly detailed city.

Also had that grafitti art thing, but yeah, there isn't much concrete information about it.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Speaking of Dreamcast, I was just reminded that Shenmue III is a thing and not only that but it has a release date of August 27th 2019.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but in my mind Shenmue III was something that would be released in some unknowable future. I mean I knew they were working on it and the reveal of it made my head explode. I just didn't think anything would come of it so soon.

I guess it has been, like, four years. Wow.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am sure Capcom will unveil Marvel vs Capcom 4 and say it's next-gen.

Infinite never happened, shut up.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

wait what

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

wait what

https://youtu.be/ctYQ08gxkqA

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly, even if BG&E winds up being Ubisoft in space I'm still a little impressed they're letting Ancel go nuts with wacky space critters that didn't sell all that well the first time around.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maybe Capcom will announce the first three Ace Attorney games for something else. Maybe they are making a new console - the Phoenixbox - and the only game they will ever make for it are Ace Attorney 1, 2, and 3.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Maybe Capcom will announce the first three Ace Attorney games for something else. Maybe they are making a new console - the Phoenixbox - and the only game they will ever make for it are Ace Attorney 1, 2, and 3.

And it'll come on a controller that looks like a giant "TAKE THAT!"

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    There's rumors going around about a new Mechassault game coming and with Microsoft's push for more first party titles I'm awful curious to see if it pans out at E3. It'd be an interesting franchise to revive in the modern era, that's for sure.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it used to be if you had a PS4 and a Switch you were covered for nearly everything that came out, since Microsoft kind of forgot that they needed to produce games of their own for a while there.

But Microsoft seems to be fixing that finally, especially with their game studio shopping spree last year. Business-wise they should have done that long ago, but it'll make things rougher for those annoyed by exclusives.

At any rate, I'll be curious to see what game announcements (if any) we'll get from those purchases. Seems like it would be way too early, but who knows.

Actually Microsoft just yesterday announced their commitment to bringing their games to not just the Windows Store but to Steam as well.

Even before this announcement their first party titles were available on PC too. If you bought one for Xbone you'd automatically have it for PC as well and vice versa.

Though that's a cool announcement. Microsoft's been bending over backwards to be pro-consumer lately -- hopefully it lasts.

They did seemingly take some shots at Epic by saying, "We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games".

But yeah, it has been Phil Spencer's goal for years now to make Microsoft games available everywhere. After the disastrous Xbone fiasco they brought him in to fix things and he has basically 180'd the company's previous (arguably anti-consumer) philosophy.

I mean, I will never get past this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzmVcasl3ZU

Even the reporter was clearly offended. I certainly was.

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    There's rumors going around about a new Mechassault game coming and with Microsoft's push for more first party titles I'm awful curious to see if it pans out at E3. It'd be an interesting franchise to revive in the modern era, that's for sure.

Bah, call me when they make Chromehounds 2.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

You can hear it in the reporter's voice. "THAT'S your message? You wanna take another run at that, chief?"

And he just digs his heels in. Amazing.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

You can hear it in the reporter's voice. "THAT'S your message? You wanna take another run at that, chief?"

From announcement to release Microsoft just kept doubling down.

Meanwhile Sony was all, "I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

There is a reason he was replaced by Phil Spencer not long after the launch. Probably should have been replaced sooner, but c'est la vie.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

From announcement to release Microsoft just kept doubling down.

Meanwhile Sony was all, "I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

There is a reason he was replaced by Phil Spencer not long after the launch. Probably should have been replaced sooner, but c'est la vie.

To be fair, there were definitely people on the internet and even on these very forums with similar responses. "Just get better internet!"

Not understanding that, for swathes of people (especially in rural areas), "better internet" was either unavailable or prohibitively expensive.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    You obviously never saw Geoff Keighley and Reggie Fils-Aimé go at it. There's a few other interviews where Geoff gets testy with Reggie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttrkOBBizo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izlnLgxgmJY

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Anyway, my predictions for E3 2019:

Nintendo
    - Pokemon
    - 30 minutes of Bowser puns
    - Smash
    - A "joke" announcing the absolute truth that Mother 3 will never come out (officially, in the US, for a current console)
    - Pokemon
    - Metroid Prime Pinball 2: The Other M Balls
    - Smash
    - An accidental airing of the old Wii U Tokyo Mirage Sessions trailer followed by a caption: "SMT 5: 2021"
    - Pokemon
    - Persona 5 Builders announcement
    - Smash
    - Unveiling of Xbox Live and the Xbox One X Two
    - Pokemon
    - Terraria for Switch cancellation announcement
    - Smash
    - Terraria 2 progress update and announcement that it will be coming to the 3DS in 2023
    - Pokemon
    - Corporate name change from Nintendo of America to Nintendo of Former Europeans
    - Smash
    - Absolutely no mention of Metroid whatsoever
    - Pokemon
    - Secret new reveal: Zelda Ice Ball Rollers for mobile phone

Microsoft

- Embracing the new partnership with Nintendo, the entire presentation will be in Japanese without any translator
    - 14 games they acquired via acquirings
    - (In Japanese) "Please watch Nintendo's conference later this week where they reveal our next console."
    - A $3,000 holographic headset exclusive to Windows 10

Bethesda
    - Announcement that Elder Scrolls VI's main platforms will be iOS and Android
    - Announcement of Prey: Typhoid Hunter, a direct non-sequel to Prey about fighting Typhoid Mary using a variety of laser weapons on ancient Earth
    - Remaining 85 minutes about new additions to the Elder Scrolls Blades real money store
    - Someone shouts out "hey, what about Elder Scrolls Online?" and the presenter genuinely scratches his head "what? That still exists? Next you're gonna tell me we never canceled Fallout 76 and actually released that shoddy piece of shit."

Devolver Digital

- Existential horror

Sony

- Sony will dominate the show
    - 30+ exclusive amazing new IPs the like of which gamers have never seen before
    - Complete re-envisionment of gaming as a hobby
    - PlayStation 5 announcement and deep diver into the technology and how it will revolutionize not just the gaming industry but EVERY industry from gaming to medical, agriculture, legal, nanotechnology, robotics, military, science, cuisine, and alcohol fermentation

Drez on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Isn't the other guy in that video Geoff Keighley or however his name is spelled? He isn't exactly Mr. Pro Consumer these days.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Isn't the other guy in that video Geoff Keighley or however his name is spelled? He isn't exactly Mr. Pro Consumer these days.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

• Options
    I don't know what any of that means. It doesn't really matter because I agree with him in that 17 second video. But now I'm curious. Either of you guys willing to PM me what you are referring to?

I don't really read or watch gaming news.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't know what any of that means. It doesn't really matter because I agree with him in that 17 second video. But now I'm curious. Either of you guys willing to PM me what you are referring to?

Oh it's not super serious or anything. He runs The Game Awards now and he tends to respond to video game news in a really tone-deaf manner, like when Activision laid people off he was like "yay company growth" or some shit.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Oh it's not super serious or anything. He runs The Game Awards now and he tends to respond to video game news in a really tone-deaf manner, like when Activision laid people off he was like "yay company growth" or some shit.

oh ok

This discussion has been closed.