As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think there's any issue saying he played Juno. That's just a fact.

Yeah the role is separate from the actor. And cis actors gender bend with characters all the time, eg “Cate Blanchett played bob dylan”

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This is the first actor I've known to come out as trans while currently working (assuming he is, I don't know his plans). Are there other examples? Be really interesting to see what effect this has on his career.

More high profile transmasc people is nice to see.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Yeah the role is separate from the actor. And cis actors gender bend with characters all the time, eg “Cate Blanchett played bob dylan”

Yeah and plenty of opposite gender cis actors playing trans characters anyway

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    It's more he played the pregnant woman. Naming the part doesn't feel bad, but the gender aspect feels weird. I think I am probably overly in my head about it. When in doubt though I bounce my weird thoughts off of others just in case. I don't tend to have the best internal sense when it comes to being polite.

Edit: I also hadn't thought about the reversal in any real way. Mostly because it makes me more than a little upset when it happens. I suppose this is a fair comparison, but I would much rather the practice just stop.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My attempt to communicate this news ran into the problems of my wife not recognizing actors very well, superhero movies not using codenames, and my inabilities to not finish a reference/quote or avoid a tangent.

"He was in the X-Men movies. Played Shadowcat."
    "Who?"
    "... no that's StarLord. *beat* Although in the comics... wait lemme start over."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Trans people with a body of work behind them- be they actors, writers or musicians- don't tend to want their previous work to be completely disconnected from them or buried.

Unless he states otherwise, there's no harm you're doing to Elliot by watching a film he was in. You're not outing him by referring to a role in which he wore a prosthetic belly to appear pregnant.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020

Yeah the role is the role. Like it is far from the first time a man has played the role of a woman in a film.

Edit: though I do hope he’ll continue to play Vanya in umbrella academy because he is so good

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Why do I keep remembering Page as a guy in Hard Candy?
    Probably hindsight bias...

Anyway, such a good actor and just an awesome brave person who's done so much to promote LGBTQ+ rights. Would gladly watch him playing any role (except I'm never re-watching Hard Candy which is too scary)

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    This is the first actor I've known to come out as trans while currently working (assuming he is, I don't know his plans). Are there other examples? Be really interesting to see what effect this has on his career.

I legit expect Vanya in umbrella academy to have a trans storyline if they do a third season, and I would be super psyched if they did!
    The costuming in season 2 already was very...familiar to someone who has tried to wear men’s clothes while having a female body and I am certain that Page had a lot of say in it (it was notably out of place and v interesting because of that).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

I legit expect Vanya in umbrella academy to have a trans storyline if they do a third season, and I would be super psyched if they did!
    The costuming in season 2 already was very...familiar to someone who has tried to wear men’s clothes while having a female body and I am certain that Page had a lot of say in it (it was notably out of place and v interesting because of that).

It really is the best option. To the point where I will be fairly pissed at the show for not doing it. At best they are perpetuating some shitty casting history through no fault of their own but still. At worst it takes some potential options for Elliot off the table in a shitty way. If he decides he wants HRT it is going to need to be addressed one way or the other. Just write the story so that he can decide without holding a job over his head.

• Options
    Sure hope you are all right!
    Elliot Page is awesome and I hope his decision to come out will change things for the better for all trans actors

On a different note, still can't believe they've ruled against children's right to choose puberty blockers : (
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cambridgeshire-55144148

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Told most of my friends yesterday and they all gave their support and started using my new name and pronouns!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Men playing women is the time-honored misogyny tradition of theater.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Seems no changes are being made to Vanya at all. I can't say I am super pleased by this, but honestly my opinion isn't the one that matters most. If Elliot Page is cool with it then that is what it is. Time will tell is he is or isn't so I will just wait for that.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Seems no changes are being made to Vanya at all. I can't say I am super pleased by this, but honestly my opinion isn't the one that matters most. If Elliot Page is cool with it then that is what it is. Time will tell is he is or isn't so I will just wait for that.

If Vanya was going to have a transition arc it likely wouldn't take place until S4 and I doubt they would announce a character arc.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Isn't that series based on a comic? So Vanya is a pre-made character? I wouldn't expect them to change it up just to accommodate something in the actor's personal life if so.

Also I think it would be kind of a lot for someone going through transition to have that turned into a plotline in an entertainment piece as it's happening. I mean I can't imagine transitioning as a public figure anyway, with all the scrutiny and gossip you'd get, but making it a Thing in the show you work on would be wild.

• Options
    The plot line is already wildly divergent from the comics. Their powers work very differently as the most basic example. I think there have been a few character arcs completely altered, and plot points erased. I agree with a more faithful adaptation, but this one has already taken a lot of liberties.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I imagine that if Page is willing to continue to play the character then he and netflix have come to terms with what this will mean and both parties are happy with it.

But yeah like Brovid mentioned I think it'd be extremely painful to be portraying a character going through transition right as you yourself are doing exactly that.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

I've known some VAs who transitioned while working but not any big name actors no.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    They are not actors but the wachowski sisters are examples of people who were publicly announced.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    They are not actors but the wachowski sisters are examples of people who were publicly announced.

and yet the Matrix films are still re-released by warner bros using their deadnames because fuck warner bros

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Damn, really? That's fucked.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »

If Vanya was going to have a transition arc it likely wouldn't take place until S4 and I doubt they would announce a character arc.

Yeah, I don't know where S3 is in development right now, but trying to shoehorn in an arc at the last minute would probably not be very well done.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today is my Fridax, so I'm trying a new eye shadow color, actually put some product in my hair (which is getting quit long for me), and am just being my most currently comfortable agen self at home today. Tomorrow though I've got to bake pies.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gundi wrote: »

I've known some VAs who transitioned while working but not any big name actors no.
    The original VA of Meowth for the Pokémon English dub was a trans woman, but I don’t even know if she was properly credited since coming out in 1999 would have been significantly different compared to now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »

The original VA of Meowth for the Pokémon English dub was a trans woman, but I don’t even know if she was properly credited since coming out in 1999 would have been significantly different compared to now.

I only found that out a few weeks ago, and then I found out she passed away in 2008 at 48 from a stomach virus. Taken way too soon. :( One of her coworkers said in a eulogy that the episode of the pokemon anime about how Meowth learned to talk inspired her come out as trans and transition.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

and yet the Matrix films are still re-released by warner bros using their deadnames because fuck warner bros

wait are you sure? I thought I saw somewhere that they changed that

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

last time I saw a Warner Bros thing for the Matrix films it still deadnamed them, or at least called them "brothers", maybe it's changed since then?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I tried to check but it's not streaming on any of my services right now and I'd rather not spend the four bucks without knowing that first

I could have sworn they changed the names! I could be wrong though, I could definitely see WB not giving a shit

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I always flush because I'm not gonna surprise somebody with dook or pee-pee water

I also always put the seat down because dammit it takes literally a second

Oh no if its number 2 or ypu had Asparagus you flush.

last time I saw a Warner Bros thing for the Matrix films it still deadnamed them, or at least called them "brothers", maybe it's changed since then?

It might be a union thing. The big guilds have confusing and strict rules about name credits.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Amazon has them listed separately but as Lily and Lana for the movies they directed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I really like this article commissioned by the British Psych Society defending the rights of transgender kids:
    https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/blow-rights-transgender-children

Now I understand why my friend who's parenting a kid with gender dysphoria is so scared of the possibility of their child transitioning. All the publicity around the puberty blockers court case has spread some dangerous misinformation and biased parents : ( grrrr

wish I knew of some way to help (I'm guessing taping parents' eyes open Clockwork Orange style and forcing them to read the research evidence would not work too well?)

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I tried to check but it's not streaming on any of my services right now and I'd rather not spend the four bucks without knowing that first

I could have sworn they changed the names! I could be wrong though, I could definitely see WB not giving a shit
    From what I understand, the packaging/marketing/etc credits them correctly, but no they didn't change the animated credits sequences

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you don't pay much attention to the bug subforum, Tube just posted a thread stating there is a pronouns setting in the user profile options now:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/238647/theres-a-profile-setting-for-pronouns-now#latest

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Credit goes to Geebs who pointed out that we didn’t have one.

• Options
    This feature was a happy surprise.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    at first i thought it was something that'd show up under our profile pic boxes in posts but this is still nice. i've just never looked at a user's profile outside of secret santa stalking them

• Options
    When I first started discovering more about myself, I didn't want to immediately do any kind of pronoun changes, but it's been a while now, and yeah I'm ready for it. They/them type please. And also thank you to everyone for creating an environment where I can make this post and feel safe.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So after a week of hormones, some things I've noticed:

1) I get cold easier and have to use the bathroom more often.
    2) I get hungry way more, which makes sense cause I've always been skinny and my body needs more energy for what it's going through.
    3) I wake up feeling more refreshed, and everything seems "clearer", if that makes sense.
    4) I've had chest pains for the last couple of days which has been both euphoric and uncomfortable in a good way.

It kinda keeps still hitting me in the face that this is real and happening.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    So uh.

Guess who has two thumbs, zero balls, and a brand new vagina

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
This discussion has been closed.