As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neighbors are the worst

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm not sure I have upstairs neighbors at the moment. For quite a long time i had some with extremely noisy elephants children, and who would have very loud enthusiastic sex at exactly whatever time I'd be trying to sleep.

I have one neighbor a few doors down, who one evening knocked on my door to ask if my cat was okay because she hadn't seen her hanging out in the window for a few weeks. Cat was and is fine, just doesn't sleep there in the winter, but nice to know she was brightening someone's day.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have never really lived in an apartment before now.

One time though when I was at my Ex's we woke up her downstairs neighbor and I got super embarrassed.

I guess I'm lucky I only have to deal with the little girl upstairs throwing shit around and running and jumping all night... Well and her mother running the vacuum at like 1am sometimes.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    One side of me is a nice guy who we think just got divorced (his wife hasn't been around at all and neither has his teenage daughter, but his older son still lives with him). He mows our lawn sometimes and we do the same in kind.

The other side is an older couple, hes nice but shes really rude. Their daughter and grand kids hang out all the time and they are all really nice and the grandkids are adorable and love our cats.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    We had some rather sketchy neighbours who's pitbulls kept routinely getting out of their house/yard that I've returned to them about 3-4 times.

That is until last week when their house caught on fire. Apparently they had been cooking meth. Also, they found a 22 year old man duct-taped to a chair inside who had been set on fire. Both of the owners are now "on the lam".

Thankfully, despite abandoning the house while it was on fire the dogs are both ok. One managed to get out on its own while the other was actually at the vet already as it had been hit by a car the week before.

I dealt with a case just like that when I was a parole officer. Inmate ripped off a grow operation and tied up the dude running the op. He put duct tape over the victim's mouth and nose, apparently unaware of the need to have at least one of those things unobstructed to facilitate breathing. The victim died, inmate set fire to the house to get rid of the evidence.

He was a real asshole. Got busted for having a 20 litre brew in his cell the day before he completed the substance abuse program I was running. Needless to say he didn't get a successful completion on the program.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    To counter all the shitty neighbors:

I haven’t really interacted with my neighbors since childhood. The neighbors we had when I was between the age of 6-12 were great.

On one side we had an older couple from Italy who loved kids but had never had any of their own. This was great as we only had a low chainlink fence between us, and we were a pretty rowdy lot, but despite them sharing an inner wall with us they never complained.

Once when my brothers kicked their ball over the fence I went to ask for it back and the wife sat me down and fed me honey rings fresh from the oven. And the husband was always giving my mom things from his garden.

On the other side was a family with three kids of similar age to us, so occasionally we’d all play together in our shared driveway, which was a great breather for our moms. And they knew we were safe as the driveway was long and the only cars to use it were our cars.

The girl my age was named Michelle, and her mom was forever calling her and she always pronounced it ‘MEEEEEE-SHELL’, I can still hear her voice in my head.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    The girl my age was named Michelle, and her mom was forever calling her and she always pronounced it ‘MEEEEEE-SHELL’, I can still hear her voice in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBLi5eE-wY

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I have upstairs neighbors at the moment. For quite a long time i had some with extremely noisy elephants children,

Elephants actually walk almost silently, thanks to the thick, cartilaginous pads on the bottom of their feet and their slow, careful gait. They are downright sneaky.

Just, you know, in case you were wondering

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    i'm probs the shit neighbour but no I will smoke weed in my shed fight me

they did give my dad and I a mini key for christmas tho but I did do a lot of snowblowing for em cause I was off

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I should actually meet my neighbors someday. It's pretty quiet usually except for some kids in the unit opposite me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I live next to Ft Bragg, on the side over where all the special forces units are.

So we don't play 'firework or gunshot', because automatic weapons fire is easily identifiable so its ALWAYS gunshot. Instead we play 'thunder or artillery.'

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkqz5C62SM&t=4m40s

stupid not being able to link a time

4:40

Xaquin on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I have upstairs neighbors at the moment. For quite a long time i had some with extremely noisy elephants children,

Elephants actually walk almost silently, thanks to the thick, cartilaginous pads on the bottom of their feet and their slow, careful gait. They are downright sneaky.

Just, you know, in case you were wondering

That's how i knew it was rambunctious children! ;)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    We have lived in our house a little over a year now and have okish neighbors.

On one side we have this older couple who just says hello and is super cool.

On the other side, we have this family where the head of household is extremely manipulative.

When we moved in, the week after we got there, he came over and said he was a landscaper and would like to help us with our lawn. We said great, thanks! He mowed it for us and then told me that would be $40. Which I GET you should pay someone for their work, of course, but the way it was presented was like "Hey! New neighbors! Nice to meet you! I mow lawns and since you probably don't even have a mower yet, want me to do yours? Its neighborly!"

So after that I was cautious of just not accepting anything from him. The following week he asked, since we have a driveway and 1 car, if he could put a trailer he doesnt use to lug his landscaping gear - but one he didnt want to sell yet - in our driveway. I said I'd have to check with my wife, as a way to stall, and he went on and on about how the last people who lived there always let him use it and it wont be a problem since we dont need all that driveway. The next day I got home from work and it was there. He apparently waited for me to leave for work, and then just asked my wife himself, telling her I said it was fine!

But then, he regularly brings over all this food (he's from El Salvador and his wife is a great cook and they live there with their entire family AND he rents the basement out to one of his employees, so they cook huge amounts of great food), and I start to feel like he's ok and maybe I'm being too judgy or harsh.

But then he does something weird again like leave garbage he doesnt want in our yard and act like he's doing us a favor. Recently it was "I saw you walk to work. I left a bike that has a flat tire and broken chain in your back yard! Just fix it up and you can keep it for free!"

...th-thanks?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Both my neighbors suck. I don't talk to either of them, and to be honest them being shitty has made the idea of selling my house a little easier.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    We are AT WAR with the other next-door neighbors.

Bastards.

No but that sounds amazing.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    in NT the only thing you can be arrested for is being too sober

Wait in the where?

I wanna go there. I wanna be in that place.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    When we moved into our last place, our neighbours were pretty relaxed unless Liverpool were playing football - we worked that out by cross-referencing the TV fixtures with the nights that they were rowdy

They also smoked weed a lot, which led me to find out that I can't smell weed (or my wife can smell it super well)

Then they moved out and a family with young kids moved in

They were no trouble for a few months, but one night I was woken up by an almighty crash and some yelling, which I initially attributed to the bigger houses across the street which would throw parties in the summer

The next morning I go outside and see that next door's window is smashed and the door has what looked like axe holes in it

Never did find out what that was about

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My neighbours on one side are friendly folk I've known for years, they've been a big help in the past.

The neighbours on the other side fill their front and back lawns with junk (everything from umbrellas to play equipment to a medical bed frame), but the kind of junk they have cycles so I think they sell it? I'll take them over the previous tenants, who would party deep into the night, but it's still weird.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I once called the police because we could hear our neighbours having an argument and the woman was screaming "give me back my baby". Other than that I've never had very interesting neighbours.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I once called the police because we could hear our neighbours having an argument and the woman was screaming "give me back my baby". Other than that I've never had very interesting neighbours.

Sounds like they were just watching a Lifetime movie with the volume up really loud.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Or it was a dog or a stuffed animal.

• Options
    I could also hear a baby crying, which was probably relevant

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My neighbours on one side are friendly folk I've known for years, they've been a big help in the past.

The neighbours on the other side fill their front and back lawns with junk (everything from umbrellas to play equipment to a medical bed frame), but the kind of junk they have cycles so I think they sell it? I'll take them over the previous tenants, who would party deep into the night, but it's still weird.

There's a house a couple of streets down from us that always has a yard full of various junk but it's always changing, like you said. Broken down cars, exercise equipment, various electrical goods, their trailer is always filled to the brim with a variety of things like broken furniture and toys, but it's all constantly changing. I don't understand.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Your neighbors are Jawas.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    On north side, we have Flooded Kitsch Garden Man. Flooded Kitsch Garden Man appears to be in his 60's and live alone. His lawn is decorated with every piece of "folksy" bullshit that my grandma ever had to be talked out of buying from a Cracker Barrel. Farm animals made out of old tractor parts. Wooden signs with slogans about fishing. A million little ceramic statues of hillbilly kids in overalls in mischievous poses. And a very small patch of lawn in the middle. Then, once every couple of weeks during the warmer months, he'll turn on his garden hose and let it run until that very small patch of lawn is flooded to ankle depth. And then just leave the lawn bog to evaporate over the next 48 hours. The grass is rotted to shit, and all the hillbilly kid statues have had the paint eroded off the bottom halves.

I would very much like to ask why, but he also has an array of Blue Lives stickers all over the back of his truck, so I'm not really interested in communication any deeper than a tense nod if we accidentally make eye contact.

On the south side, there is Huge Dog Shit Man. I call him Huge Dog Shit Man because the sidewalk in front of his house is always full of Huge Dog Shits. But I've never seen any evidence of the Huge Dog, the Huge Dog Shits just seem to materialize at regular intervals. So it amuses me to imagine that Huge Dog Shit Man places them there, like as an artistic statement. He has a very tall fence, so I guess there could be a Huge Dog in there somewhere, but it's very quiet if so, and I don't know how it's getting its Huge Dog Shits out to the sidewalk without being seen.

I have also not spoken to Huge Dog Shit Man.

To the east, my driveway leads to two other houses that are tucked back off the street. One of them is where a guy I used to know pretty well in my churchin' days lives with his wife and kid, and they're nice folks, but I am a very different person now than I was back then, so there is some tension, and I think we're both avoiding each other. The other one is home to a single mom with like seven or more kids of various ages, or maybe some of those kids are just friends who are over a lot, or there are fewer of them but they're fast moving and I interpret the same one seen twice as two, I don't know. As a dude of ogre-like countenance, a thing I am not going to do is go up to a stranger and say "Hey, tell me more about your yard full of delicious young morsels." Our interaction has been limited to me shoveling their walk after a couple of snowstorms, but doing it early enough in the morning that they probably have no idea who was responsible.

To the northwest, across the street, is the row of apartments where I only see people if they're smoking on their front porches.

And then south of that, there is the house-that-is-too-nice-for-this-neighborhood, that belongs to an older woman who works at the same company as me, who often offers me rides to work. But that's a trap because she is like the JRPG Final Boss Evolution of the Church Lady character from early 90's SNL, and seems to have made it her personal mission to get my heathen ass into some Sunday Services. She won't bring that crap up if we're just at work, because HR has talked to her about CHURCHIN' HARD IN THE OFFICE, but HR isn't the boss of her car. So my standard excuse is that my walk to work is a deliberate part of my exercise plan, which is close enough to true that I can sell it convincingly.

And then in my actual house, all six of my roommates are Young People, and none of them know how to turn off a goddamn light switch when they leave a room. But they're mostly quiet, and keep different hours from me so that we don't run into each other in the kitchen a lot, so that's all right.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Maybe Huge Dog Shit Man just pissed off someone else who owns a Huge Dog and that guy just plans his walks very carefully.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    That's what I initially thought, but I haven't seen any huge dogs anywhere else on the block either. If it's a Covert Dog Shit Vigilante, they are highly skilled at stealth.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's a small dog that's just really good at shitting.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Please get a cam on that sidewalk.

I...i need to know.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    This is my house pre turning the yard into a wasteland of dirt
    8hrhod55v2kw.png
    r1hp079zgc1c.png
    This is the house I walk past full of plastic and glass bottles
    3p25f2sw9l4r.png
    And this is a quick pic of the house that has a yard full of wild grass
    8px3wuj0qv36.png
    I tried to be subtle about taking the last two pics as there was people around and this is ABQ where anyone will shoot you

• Options
    I posted the other houses as they are part of my argument of why did I get arrested for my overran yard? A fire hazard? Health? Seriously a yard with some vegetation is better than a blasted wasteland as when it rains or the wind blows it just carries the dirt and that is one of the causes of desertification

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    shackling up

Kinky!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Just wanted to jump in with a...

I'm standin' here on the ground.
    The sky above won't faaaaalll down.

::fistbump::

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I was at a friend's house and their kids invited me to "jump on their tramp" and I said I hope the tramp consented and they looked baffled while the adults cracked it

I guess that noun doesn't have the same rich set of meanings in us English

Lady and the tramp really narrowed it down

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Neighbors.... my house is at the end of a cul-de-sac or dead end street so I have 9 houses or neighbors
    Well I live around a lot of rentals as back around 2008-2013 expect for my neighbor to my right no one lived in most of the other houses. Those shows that talk about how nature will take back stuff over time well various animals[ Coyotes, skunks, feral cats, tons of rabbits and tons of birds moved in and have yet to leave} The neighbor behind me to the right was feeding the cats and was getting aggressive notes about she should stop and why {they don't know what animals are in town as deer, cougars, and bears have been seen} The house behind me was a Meth house as for a few months it smelled like laundry detergents omnipresent. After they left bikers moved in and wrecked that house. The current people there have tired to set my backyard on fire 3 times and put up a screen so they don't have to look at my house from thier's

One house that I am a neighbor with for 1 and 1/2 feet has a pool and can see down into my yard and 3 others but is a noisy party house whom the other day threatened to call the cops on us for using a weedwacker at 1900
    Now my long time neighbor is a old man sliding into grumpy
    Now it's a tale of dumb shit as back my father lived he and my neighbor got into it over the neighbor trying to start a HOA {he had tired 3 times since I have lived here} After my father died he felt we were calling the yard police Environmental Concerns because he was watering his lawn all the time. I had no idea who to call there was other bad blood as came over once saying he owed him 15k for the lost value on his house because ours was looking bad. There are tons of dumb things he has done but he figured out though his church he could use someone he knew As he started to turn us in for weeds This is what I got arrested for weeds! yes I went to court over having weeds in my yard! Because of last year and having a shitty schedule I was unable to care for the yard well I was unable because I was used to be up a night and I don't feel doing the yard at 3am would be been nice to my neighbors But the yard police are asses one suggested that I sell the house and get an APT I told him that would be worse another one talked about the broken windows theory which I told him that was very racist but he just went on saying why he felt we were bad for the area

Where the heck do you live? 'Cause I need to stay very far away from those people.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Albuquerque.

• Options
    Good thing I never wanted to move to New Mexico.

My neighbors are generally fine. But the house to our right has habitually been populated by renters ot young people who seem to have no concept they live in a neighborhood with other people.

The three young women who live there now are odd. At least one of them has a baby. But they ha e a ha it of being in their cars with the radioes cranked aloud as possible at all hours of the day or night. Not to mention lots of people comong and going 24/7. Mostly lots of different young men. Mom thinks they're either trafficking drugs, or there is sex work going on. I don't care, but the parties at 3 am are a little much.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Across the street from me is a family that routinely works on sick cars.
    That's the extent of my knowledge of the neighbors.
    There's probably one of them that's peeked into the house windows to see me half nakedly playing Beam Saber in the living room, so I like to think my neighbors know more about me than I do them.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Across the street from me is a family that routinely works on sick cars.
    That's the extent of my knowledge of the neighbors.
    There's probably one of them that's peeked into the house windows to see me half nakedly playing Beam Saber in the living room, so I like to think my neighbors know more about me than I do them.

"Sick" as in "rad" or "sick" as in "ill."

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    "sick" as in "ill" as in "rad"