As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it was my impression that the invader zim fandom is the same as most fandoms in that it's just a little annoying

whereas a large swathe of the rick and morty fandom is basically proto-fascists

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    it was my impression that the invader zim fandom is the same as most fandoms in that it's just a little annoying

whereas a large swathe of the rick and morty fandom is basically proto-fascists

“ large swaths” feels like a bit of an overstatement.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think if invader zim came out now it would have about the same number of proto fascist fans as rick and morty has

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I think if invader zim came out now it would have about the same number of proto fascist fans as rick and morty has

Knowing Jhonens politics and lack of tact I am confident that he would make it impossible for them to enjoy the show. After all the last time he developed a case of scummy fanitis he devoted a whole comic to have his main character murder a fan expee and literally scream in his face that he is the bad guy.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kevin Smith is showrunning a He-Man revival for Netflix that will be a direct continuation of the 80s cartoon

I am

mildly intrigued

Smith in comedy mode doesn't do anything for me nowadays but I can find him kind of interesting outside of that niche and it seems like it ain't going to be a parody or goofin on it

Smith is all over the place for me.

I enjoyed a few of his movies thought most of them sucked, but then I can watch those spoken word things repeatedly and just listen to him tell stories and talk about pop culture. I really like Comic Book Men, too!

He should just do more spoken word things and tell weird stories about Hollywood, getting high, almost dying, losing weight and getting getting healthy.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I did just see that Masters of the Universe is on Prime Video the other night, and you bet your ass I put it on my watchlist

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    what's jhonen vasquez even been up to in the past decade

i went from being extremely obsessed with his work to being really embarrassed about how obssessed i was and just kinda shunting all that stuff as far down into my brain as i could cram it

the zim special was good though! kinda makes me wanna rewatch some of the tv show with grown-up eyes

• Options
    edited August 2019

i went from being extremely obsessed with his work to being really embarrassed about how obssessed i was and just kinda shunting all that stuff as far down into my brain as i could cram it

the zim special was good though! kinda makes me wanna rewatch some of the tv show with grown-up eyes

Mostly the answer to that seems to be not a lot. He’s talked
    at times about having really difficult writers block and it seems like invaders Zim more or less set him up to no really have to do anything anymore if he doesnt want.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the last he-man revival was one of the worst cartoons I've ever watched

Wait, what? You mean the one from 2002? I thought that was pretty good.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Mostly the answer to that seems to be not a lot. He’s talking at times about having really difficult writers block and it seems like invaders them more or less set him up to no really have to do anything anymore if he doesnt want.

yeah I think he made enough money from it and from his other projects that he hasn't had to work that much, so he just does the odd thing here and there

i.e. that art he did for Bioshock 2, and apparently he did the character designs for Randy Cunningham, a cartoon from seven years ago which I've never heard of before and sure does sound an awful lot like Juniper Lee

Shorty on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I never actually did read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. Is there a way to purchase it legally digitally? Or do I need to hunt down a physical copy?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Man, Leverage is so good

I've rewatched the entire first season over the past week, and it's still great

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i have been messaging @zonugal a lot while rewatching leverage, mostly about how elliot spencer is just wolverine

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    If my memory is accurate I wanna say I Feel Sick was Vasquez's best comic

But iirc pretty much all three of his comics were just different characters going through the same plot

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think Squee was my favorite. But god I have no idea how any of them would land for me now

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Boy uh

Young Justice season 3 you could have at least pretended to be a kids show still

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Man, Leverage is so good

I've rewatched the entire first season over the past week, and it's still great

The showrunner is really really great, both professionally and as a human being

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    He's the guy who wrote this great observation:
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I really should have posted more of my feelings about She-ra so I had more positive stuff to say but I'm afraid I'm about to finish the last season of Voltron and I just do not like it. I'm gonna write a longer thing tomorrow but in short it just doesn't seem to make good use of the time that it has. Nobody seemed to have grown much up to the end of last season and now they are finally a functional team all at once. Some romance options feel both gross and also completely unearned and in the entire series they didn't spend enough time fleshing out the cast but this season especially they just don't seem to have anything for much of the cast to do.

EDIT: Oh and basically all of the vehicle designs are so boriiiiiiiiiing.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Knowing Jhonens politics and lack of tact I am confident that he would make it impossible for them to enjoy the show. After all the last time he developed a case of scummy fanitis he devoted a whole comic to have his main character murder a fan expee and literally scream in his face that he is the bad guy.

Vasquez's work is also tonally wrong for that crowd. For all the body horror, rampant murder, and nihilism, most of his stuff is actually pretty positive. He thinks people should be better to each other, and his disgust with people is more despairing than sadistic or superior. That alone sets it apart from something like Rick and Morty.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    i feel like invader zim can come off as a little sadistic or superior

like every other background character is a fat slobbering moron that can barely string two words together

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

like every other background character is a fat slobbering moron that can barely string two words together

I think that's more how Dib/Zim see the world.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It is physically impossible for me to be objective about Invader Zim, because it was one of the first things I got properly into as a teenager and my wife and I bonded over watching it on our first date. "I am a perfectly normal human wormbaby" is a phrase that gets a lot of use in my house.

But my god people incessantly quoting GIR is annoying and I don't blame anyone who never watched the show because of it.

Anyway thanks for reminding me the special came out, gonna watch that tonight.

• Options

It's also hard to see Dib and Zim as being superior to anyone. With the exceptions of Gaz and Tak, I'm not sure there are any competent characters in Zim.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Also Disney unveiled initial international rollout of Disney+

Canada and Netherlands get it same day as US (Nov 12). Canada is $9/monthly $90/year; Netherlands €7/month €70/year
    Nov 19 is Australia ($9/monthly $90/year) and New Zealand ($10/month $100/year)

Negotiations are ongoing for other territories

• Options

It's also hard to see Dib and Zim as being superior to anyone. With the exceptions of Gaz and Tak, I'm not sure there are any competent characters in Zim.

maybe superior's the wrong word

at its worst i think invader zim can come off as really deeply myopic and nihilistic. it's a world where good people don't and kind of even can't exist. You're either pure evil, or a big fat idiot, or a self-obsessed narcissist, or you're a decent person that those first three groups are going to relentlessly abuse and tear down until you become one of them. the only "winning move" seems to be to just not care about anything, like Gaz, or to lack enough awareness to understand how fucked the world is, like GIR.

I think there can be more to the show than that, but it can definitely carry that sort of attitude at times, which is frankly probably a big part of why it spoke to me so much as a moody teen.

One of the things i liked about the special is that it actually did a really good job of avoiding that trap. It managed to give all of the characters a little more humanity than i remember them usually having, while still feeling true to their characters.

• Options

I think Zim and Dib can be competent when they actually get serious

The episode where Zim is smart enough to know fufilling Dibs hero complex will get him to admit to assualting him with a Muffin is a pretty good example.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I really hate how excited I am for Disney+

• Options
    edited August 2019

The episode where Zim is smart enough to know fufilling Dibs hero complex will get him to admit to assualting him with a Muffin is a pretty good example.

One big difference between Zim and Rick and Morty is that, for all that R&M does paint Rick as as flawed character, Rick is always the coolest person in the room. Dib and Zim, by contrast, are both uncool outcasts who self-sabotage the abilities they do have on a regular basis.

Rick's the kind of guy nerds fantasize about being - damaged and dangerous. Dib and Zim are just dorks.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Also Disney unveiled initial international rollout of Disney+

Canada and Netherlands get it same day as US (Nov 12). Canada is $9/monthly $90/year; Netherlands €7/month €70/year
    Nov 19 is Australia ($9/monthly $90/year) and New Zealand ($10/month $100/year)

Negotiations are ongoing for other territories

Netherlands, huh? Almost, but not quite. Missed me by 70km.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA7D4_qU9jo

guess I'm subscribing to Apple TV Plus!!!!!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

One big difference between Zim and Rick and Morty is that, for all that R&M does paint Rick as as flawed character, Rick is always the coolest person in the room. Dib and Zim, by contrast, are both uncool outcasts who self-sabotage the abilities they do have on a regular basis.

Rick's the kind of guy nerds fantasize about being - damaged and dangerous. Dib and Zim are just dorks.

rick is still a monster, and that's made pretty goddamn clear

it's just idiots that want to be him

it's not really the same as Cartman

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rick is a piece of shit and the fact people idolize him really grosses me out.

• Options

Its not even subtext in the show. At least 5 characters have called him out directly in multiple episodes. People just see what they want

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Its not even subtext in the show. At least 5 characters have called him out directly in multiple episodes. People just see what they want

The last season was basically a season-long setup to massively dunk on Rick.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I practiced drawing GIR in various poses and outfits, both because he was fun to draw and also so I could draw them "spontaneously" at school to interest the goth girl that sat next to me in History.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I practiced drawing GIR in various poses and outfits, both because he was fun to draw and also so I could draw them "spontaneously" at school to interest the goth girl that sat next to me in History.

Get out of town! I can do Marvin the Martian!

• Options
    I'm shocked people still think rick is someone worth emulating after the episode where he and morty go to a spa

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Oh man, was rewatching some friends , and I think I might have a contender for worst episode.

How about the one where the moral is " Maybe you shoulda just taken advantage of and fucked the drunk woman"

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man, was rewatching some friends , and I think I might have a contender for worst episode.

How about the one where the moral is " Maybe you shoulda just taken advantage of and fucked the drunk woman"

I'm going to assume that's also the episode title.

This discussion has been closed.