As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    You know after watching Enter the Florpus the inspiration that Eva had on Invader Zim is really obvious.

Anyway I don't know how I feel about either that or the Rocko special. Both pretty much just re-establish the status quo* and go back to the classic formula for another story. If you've seen Invader Zim you've seen this plot more or less ten times. The tone is slightly different from the show but it could have easily been trimmed into a two parter from back in the day. Neither feels like the capper for the end of the series that I expected them to be. The Arnold Jungle movie was a straight up end to the series but this is just a reminder that the show existed. My first thought is that vasquez see's the opportunity to do more of these specials and wanted to leave things open but I found it pretty disappointing from that angle as well. No shift in the status quo or push for a version of the ongoing story they had been moving towards before Zim got cancelled. I enjoyed the special well enough but I have zero hype for any more specials.

*The obvious exception being obvious

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zim does it better than Rocko because I think they treated this as a reboot where Rocko was more "here's one more for fans".

Like I want to go into detail on Zim at some point becuase I was not expecting to like it so much.

Rocko as a series doesn't really need an ending. Rocko just has weird experiences while living his life. I mean Rachel is probably the closest thing to wrapping up a character arc the series could have

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    is it just me or was mindhunter season 2 kinda weak

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Scientists should study whatever dark alchemy has led to Marc Maron and Alison Brie having great screen chemistry

Just wait (full season spoilers)
    until they kiss. The worst kiss I've ever seen on TV
    I honestly dont know what was going on with this subplot or how I was supposed to feel about it because it was very gross.

WheatBun01 on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Is it one of those bullshit emotional vampires

Hey, don't insult Colin Robinson like that!

Quick side note: What We Do in the Shadows (TV) is now on Hulu and yes, Colin Robinson is the best EV.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    is it just me or was mindhunter season 2 kinda weak

Halfway through but I'm liking it even more than season 1, so far. We'll see how it finishes up, though.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think Zim did pretty well as a capstone:
    Dib finally worked things out with his father, who was himself humbled and a little lost at the end. That’s major character growth for both. Gaz was always fine, but she got some great moments supporting her family.

Zim’s still Zim, but he’s at peace. He’s not so stupid he doesn’t understand what’s happening to the Tallest on that screen, but he’s calling it a win because he had fun fighting with Dib and not totally blowing it for once.

And those are the stakes now. Dib and Zim are going to keep going at it because that’s their happy place, but it’s not really going to be about taking over the Earth for the Irken Armada anymore.

It’s just Dib and Zim giving each other meaning. That’s a nice plan to end.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I think Zim did pretty well as a capstone:
    Dib finally worked things out with his father, who was himself humbled and a little lost at the end. That’s major character growth for both. Gaz was always fine, but she got some great moments supporting her family.

Zim’s still Zim, but he’s at peace. He’s not so stupid he doesn’t understand what’s happening to the Tallest on that screen, but he’s calling it a win because he had fun fighting with Dib and not totally blowing it for once.

And those are the stakes now. Dib and Zim are going to keep going at it because that’s their happy place, but it’s not really going to be about taking over the Earth for the Irken Armada anymore.

It’s just Dib and Zim giving each other meaning. That’s a nice plan to end.
    “You improve them, my boy! Can’t you see that yourself? You stimulate them! You make them think and scheme. You drive them to poetry, science, religion, all that makes them what they are for as long as they last. You are, so to speak, the brute existent by which they learn to define themselves. The exile, captivity, death they shirk from—the blunt facts of their mortality, their abandonment—that’s what you make them recognize, embrace! You are mankind, or man’s condition: inseparable as the mountain-climber and the mountain.”

• Options
    I had a very different interpretation of those last couple scenes.
    Dibs dad still doesn’t think aliens are real and I expect him to be status quo Membrane by the next episode and I also expect the Tallest to be right back to destroying planets in the anything in the future. Pretty sure this was an “everybody turned to meat” ending.

If not I’m honestly more disappointed. I want them going into space and leaving earth like it had always been the plan. I’m not interested in them setting up a status quo in which the two fight over and over again.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Dibs dad still doesn’t think aliens are real and I expect him to be status quo Membrane by the next episode and I also expect the Tallest to be right back to destroying planets in the anything in the future. Pretty sure this was an “everybody turned to meat” ending.

If not I’m honestly more disappointed. I want them going into space and leaving earth like it had always been the plan. I’m not interested in them setting up a status quo in which the two fight over and over again.
    Look at Dib in that scene. He’s happy and not begging to be believed that Zim is an alien. He’s made his peace with his father, who he knows supports him and loves him. Plus, it’s no mistake that his dad’s last line is a plaintive “I’m so confused.

Likewise, Zim finally let his impervious fortress of denial fall for a bit and realized his place in the Irken Armada. He put it right back up, but he also isn’t particularly concerned about the opinion of the Tallest anymore. Even in the context of Zim’s denial and dumb, “I’m going to take that as a yes” is some cold shit.

The movie was about putting to bed the show’s biggest conflict - Dib and Zim’s mutuality insecurity and desperation to please their father/alien overlords. Now, they are fighting because that’s what they love, not because they have something to prove.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Look at Dib in that scene. He’s happy and not begging to be believed that Zim is an alien. He’s made his peace with his father, who he knows supports him and loves him. Plus, it’s no mistake that his dad’s last line is a plaintive “I’m so confused.

Likewise, Zim finally let his impervious fortress of denial fall for a bit and realized his place in the Irken Armada. He put it right back up, but he also isn’t particularly concerned about the opinion of the Tallest anymore. Even in the context of Zim’s denial and dumb, “I’m going to take that as a yes” is some cold shit.

The movie was about putting to bed the show’s biggest conflict - Dib and Zim’s mutuality insecurity and desperation to please their father/alien overlords. Now, they are fighting because that’s what they love, not because they have something to prove.
    The more I think about it, the more I believe the entire movie was Jhonen Vasquez’s advice about what to do about shitty parents.

If they love and support you, stop killing yourself trying to change them, make peace with their flaws, and love them while doing your own thing.

If they don’t love and support you, say goodbye, hang up the phone, and move on with your life.

Phillishere on
  • Options

I mostly agree about Dib but find that change very unsatisfying and while I disagree about Zim it doesnt really matter because if that what they are going for I hate it. I find the idea of tearing down the pretense of their conflict leave them playing an elaborate game to be unsatisfying. It is exactly the opposite of where I wanted the show to go as a kid and now. I was also pretty much over the whole “Were going to do this forever you and I” thing three seconds after the Dark Knight did it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Honestly Enter the Florpus felt VERY series finale to me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wait is invader zim good

I really only know it as that thing the worst people in high school were obsessed with

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    invader zim is mostly good, with some very insufferable stuff mixed in -- and that's the stuff the hot topic crew latched onto

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I haven't revisited the original series in some time. But I always loved it.

Actually was having some drinks with a comic buddy of mine, and she and I pretty much came to the conclusion that it probably is super influential on a lot of comic artists in the indie ends of the industry.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    invader zim is mostly good, with some very insufferable stuff mixed in -- and that's the stuff the hot topic crew latched onto

Got it

I ways thought it was basically Deadpool

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Wait is invader zim good

I really only know it as that thing the worst people in high school were obsessed with

It has a very distinct feel that you might vibe with or not. If you like sci-fi weirdness, extreme cynicism, non sequitur jokes, body horror or the word “dookie” you might like some or all of Invader Zim.

Also fun fact: my username is taken from that show. God I would I could change it at this point.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Wait is invader zim good

It has a very distinct feel that you might vibe with or not. If you like sci-fi weirdness, extreme cynicism, non sequitur jokes, body horror or the word “dookie” you might like some or all of Invader Zim.

Also fun fact: my username is taken from that show. God I would I could change it at this point.

I like that first one and the rest of that list sounds right in line with the bad stuff I always saw from it so it's probably still a skip for me

• Options
    I could see an easy trajectory from Invader Zim to Rick and Morty in both pros and cons

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    There is an episode where Zim infects Dib, his human enemy, with something that slowly turns him into Bologna So Dib tricks him into being infected too so he’ll make a cure. If that sounds like it might be your bag you’re potentially a fan of invaders Zim.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I could see an easy trajectory from Invader Zim to Rick and Morty in both pros and cons

I’d say it’s where gravity falls meets Rick and Morty yeah.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I was always partial to the episode where Zim was stealing organs from all of his classmates

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I was always partial to the episode where Zim was stealing organs from all of his classmates

I really like Irken lore so I was always partial to the space stuff but I also liked any episode that focused on Gaz. The one where she tried to buy the new Gameslave especially and also Keef. That episode is fascinating in how far it goes.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah Zim got away with some shit

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Got it

I ways thought it was basically Deadpool

deadpool is a good comparison because he, too was a multi-faceted character boiled down to his most insufferable by that same crowd!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Honestly Enter the Florpus felt VERY series finale to me.

This I cannot deny but ultimately for me it wasn’t a satisfying return. It feels to me like I half measure and ultimately doesnt really address what I wanted more of for the show.

With the exception gf minimouse. That guy is delightful.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My main takeaway from Invader Zim is shouting "Leave me alone! I just want to go home and be all normal!" when people are ganging up on me in board games.

Is it streaming anywhere, by the way? I imagine I'd be surprised at the number of phrases from that show that I'm still using, given what a big part it played in my high school cohort.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    My main takeaway from Invader Zim is shouting "Leave me alone! I just want to go home and be all normal!" when people are ganging up on me in board games.

Is it streaming anywhere, by the way? I imagine I'd be surprised at the number of phrases from that show that I'm still using, given what a big part it played in my high school cohort.

Wait, is it just the movie on Netlfix? Streaming rights are so weird.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Wait, is it just the movie on Netlfix? Streaming rights are so weird.

Yep

The entire rest of the show is on Hulu

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Kevin Smith is showrunning a He-Man revival for Netflix that will be a direct continuation of the 80s cartoon

I am

mildly intrigued

Smith in comedy mode doesn't do anything for me nowadays but I can find him kind of interesting outside of that niche and it seems like it ain't going to be a parody or goofin on it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have never watched anything Invader Zim.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kevin Smith is showrunning a He-Man revival for Netflix that will be a direct continuation of the 80s cartoon

I am

mildly intrigued

Smith in comedy mode doesn't do anything for me nowadays but I can find him kind of interesting outside of that niche and it seems like it ain't going to be a parody or goofin on it

Hmmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this! I never watched He-Man, growing up, so I don't really have any nostalgia for it, but I do really like the new She-Ra series that's on Netflix, and I don't think Kevin Smith has the skillset to do any of the things I like about the new She-Ra. It's a pretty hard sell for me, probably, given that the only reason I watched She-Ra is that Noelle Stevenson was attached.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the last he-man revival was one of the worst cartoons I've ever watched and I wasn't allowed to watch the 80's run

I dunno, this is very much wait-and-see for me

• Options
    This will be my final post on the topic I swear and I’m sorry for getting marked down and all this negativity.

I feel like with both specials the creative teams didn’t really have all that much interest in returning to the project as it was. I think both had a specific emotional fo that they wanted to get through
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I am

mildly intrigued

Hmmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this! I never watched He-Man, growing up, so I don't really have any nostalgia for it, but I do really like the new She-Ra series that's on Netflix, and I don't think Kevin Smith has the skillset to do any of the things I like about the new She-Ra. It's a pretty hard sell for me, probably, given that the only reason I watched She-Ra is that Noelle Stevenson was attached.

This honestly makes me nervous because I expected that there would be an inevitable cameo or season in She-ra about He-man and Im far more interested in Noelles version then whatever Smith would do.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Kevin Smith was one of my very favorite creators for a solid two decades. Movies and podcasts and all.

I absolutely do not trust that dude to bring He-Man into the modern generation that She-Ra has created. He may have a niche where he can create productive art these days, but he hasn't really been displaying the capacity lately.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    This will be my final post on the topic I swear and I’m sorry for getting marked down and all this negativity.

I feel like with both specials the creative teams didn’t really have all that much interest in returning to the project as it was. I think both had a specific emotional fo that they wanted to get through
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I am

mildly intrigued

This honestly makes me nervous because I expected that there would be an inevitable cameo or season in She-ra about He-man and Im far more interested in Noelles version then whatever Smith would do.

I think she's said there aren't any real plans to bring He-Man in, but I could be misremembering. Either way, I don't think I'd expect him before like, the series finale

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am fine with He-Man and She-Ra being two distinct shows/universes but do think that if they are going that route He-Man will need to bring something more to the table than it has in the past in terms of representation and theme and what have you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    what gives me pause is i haven't really been into any of the netflix revivals, so the track record isn't there.

i recently read through the entire masters of the universe mini-comic collection and i think what makes he-man work is just how fucking dumb everyone's name and story is.

i think to revive it you absolutely have to base the bulk of your episodes around introducing new members of the pretty ridiculous roster, and that just runs counterintuitive to how netflix shows are released/watched.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I like both and absolutely am loathe to admit it because the fandoms for both are goddamn the worst

This discussion has been closed.