As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm shocked people still think rick is someone worth emulating after the episode where he and morty go to a spa

I haven't seen Season 3 yet, but Rick and Morty does veer back and forth a lot between showing Rick as a monster and humanizing him by hinting at his inner pain. He's very much the classic charming sociopath.

That's not to say that I think it's a bad show or deserves the weird toxic attachment to the character the fans have generated. I'm just saying that Rick and Morty has a much harder, darker edge than Zim, which is actually a pretty sweet and wholesome show underneath all the weirdness and body horror.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm shocked people still think rick is someone worth emulating after the episode where he and morty go to a spa

i mean, pickle rick has this monologue in it and it's still somehow become the touchstone for shitty assholes who idolize rick:
    Rick, the only connection between your unquestionable intelligence and the sickness destroying your family is that everyone in your family, you included, use intelligence to justify sickness.
    You seem to alternate between viewing your own mind as an unstoppable force and as an inescapable curse. And I think it's because the only truly unapproachable concept for you is that it's your mind within your control. You chose to come here, you chose to talk -to belittle my vocation- just as you chose to become a pickle.
    You are the master of your universe, and yet you are dripping with rat blood and feces. Your enormous mind literally vegetating by your own hand.
    I have no doubt that you would be bored senseless by therapy, the same way I'm bored when I brush my teeth and wipe my ass. Because the thing about repairing, maintaining, and cleaning is it's not an adventure. There's no way to do it so wrong you might die. It's just work. And the bottom line is, some people are okay going to work, and some people well, some people would rather die.
    Each of us gets to choose.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    rick and morty is a good show!

it's just made by two guys who...kinda suck, a little bit, and has some fans who range from annoying to toxic

• Options
    edited August 2019

it's just made by two guys who...kinda suck, a little bit, and has some fans who range from annoying to toxic

Rick and Morty definitely feels like it is coming from the mind of someone who has used their talent combined with massive amounts of work to rise to the top of their profession, and all they've gotten for it is personal pain, a failed family life, and the growing existential horror that they don't even know what success and happiness would mean for them anymore. It's very Evangelion-like in the feeling that you are watching and enjoying someone's mental breakdown.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/6-kdBlzCG7w

Hey @Zonugal Netflix harvested your subconscious for a show

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rick and Morty is the only show that I stopped watching because of the fan base.

I just couldn't enjoy it anymore.

• Options
    Rick and Morty is the only show that I stopped watching because of the fan base.

I just couldn't enjoy it anymore.

I won't say that I stopped watching it, exactly, but I sure am taking a long time to get to the third season for a show I liked so much at the start.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Like, the show has established that literally all of Rick's catchphrases sayings are fucking lame as shit and no one likes them. All his sayings are fucking stupid and respected by no one, except for that one which an expression of how much of a broken, miserable POS he is (and that one also very explicit, there is no subtext here).

And yet that doesn't stop people from calling out, "I'm pickle Rick!" like it's the funniest thing ever. Are you folks even watching the same show while you're enamored on how "cool" this dude is?

• Options
    ...is buttmunch actually an offensive thing, or is that the joke

• Options
    ...is buttmunch actually an offensive thing, or is that the joke
    I think that is the joke, I've never heard it treated as an offensive thing but I can see how it could be?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah working at comic-cons means I have dealt with Rick cosplayers on the scale of triple digits. And it's removed every ounce of enjoyment I would ever get from the show.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Like, the show has established that literally all of Rick's catchphrases sayings are fucking lame as shit and no one likes them. All his sayings are fucking stupid and respected by no one, except for that one which an expression of how much of a broken, miserable POS he is (and that one also very explicit, there is no subtext here).

And yet that doesn't stop people from calling out, "I'm pickle Rick!" like it's the funniest thing ever. Are you folks even watching the same show while you're enamored on how "cool" this dude is?

That episode in particular makes it clear that Rick is an emotionally stunted shithead who's actively harming his family, and that Beth's desperation for his approval is damaging her kids and preventing them from emotionally processing the shit going on in their lives.

Like. I don't know how anyone likes him as a character!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Oh man, was rewatching some friends , and I think I might have a contender for worst episode.

How about the one where the moral is " Maybe you shoulda just taken advantage of and fucked the drunk woman"

there is an upsetting amount of 80s-aughts sitcoms where this is the case

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

That episode in particular makes it clear that Rick is an emotionally stunted shithead who's actively harming his family, and that Beth's desperation for his approval is damaging her kids and preventing them from emotionally processing the shit going on in their lives.

People have a lot of trouble distinguishing between protagonists and heroes.

Like, that's essentially it. By making an unlikeable/immoral/tragic person your main character, you've put them in a place where people will view them as the hero, no matter what.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Y'all

You know people idolize the joker and eric cartman right

Some people want to be nihilistic shitheads

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    people still want to be scarface

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited August 2019

harmon and roiland seem like dudes who are very aware and are often on the right side, like when "fans" claimed that a woman couldn't POSSIBLY be a writer on R&M and they told the fans to fuck off, and also occasionally say some very stupid and upsetting things

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    like "why do people idolize this bad person" means you have the viewpoint that people do not actively desire to be assholes

Some people choose to be douchebags, knowing that's what they're doing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

everytime I would watch Cribs and a hiphop artist would have a dedicated scarface room or whatever I would just die a little more inside

he's the goddamn villain in his own story

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A B S H O W

• Options
    like "why do people idolize this bad person" means you have the viewpoint that people do not actively desire to be assholes

Some people choose to be douchebags, knowing that's what they're doing

Tucker Max, Charles Bukowski, Celine, the dude who wrote Jarhead...

Stories about “awesome” assholes written by assholes pretending to be warning others against being assholes is an old genre. Rick and Morty rides the line between being one of those and a critique of those kind of stories in a way that shifts from week to week.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/6-kdBlzCG7w

Hey @Zonugal Netflix harvested your subconscious for a show

Yesssss

And my main man, Dylan McDermott is cast in it???

OH YEAH

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

everytime I would watch Cribs and a hiphop artist would have a dedicated scarface room or whatever I would just die a little more inside

How many assholes do you know who idolize Don Draper?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

Or Walter White?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    never die wrote: »

personally? none thankfully

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    oh i absolutely want to be don draper
    because he's dead

jon hamm is dick whitman

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    How many people watch Barry and don't realize Barry is the bad guy?

still only at the end of season 1, but I'm not seeing how that character turns the page... like ever.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My unrequested take has always been that those people get bullied by shitheads and feel powerless, so somehow shitheads in media end up being their idea of a perfect powerful person and they want to be like them because the powerful people in their own lives are shitheads.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    How many people watch Barry and don't realize Barry is the bad guy?

still only at the end of season 1, but I'm not seeing how that character turns the page... like ever.

well it's hard to say without seeing where they go, but...yeah, no, I don't think the show is about redemption

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There are people who think Tony Soprano is a "pretty decent guy".

In a show full of fucking monsters, he's one of the worst! James Gandolfini had so much charisma he could make a serial murderer and dangerous sociopath into a character people sympathise with...

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The best thing that Dan Harmon and Justin whathisface were a part of was Yacht Rock.

Yacht Rock also has some problems.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Didn't he quit Arrow saying headlining a show was taking up too much time which he wanted to spend with family?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Didn't he quit Arrow saying headlining a show was taking up too much time which he wanted to spend with family?

I thought Arrow had just run its course.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    the difference is one being an eight-episode premium cable season and the other a network drama where every season is minimum 22 episodes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Oh christ my brain is leaking

The High School Musical Disney+ show is, apparently, about a bunch of high schoolers performing a production of

High School Musical, the actual play that Disney wrote and licensed out to real life high schools

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Oh christ my brain is leaking

The High School Musical Disney+ is, apparently, about a bunch of high schoolers performing a production of

High School Musical, the actual play that Disney wrote and licensed out to real life high schools

Whoa... So meta.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Glow, episode 7
    I don't know how to feel about both female leads having romantic plotlines with men 20+ years older than them

even if one of them is my beloved Toby Huss, it's still odd

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    the difference is one being an eight-episode premium cable season and the other a network drama where every season is minimum 22 episodes
    That he was also the star of; the only actor who would put in more work than him would probably be Emily Bett Rickards.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think Steven just didn't want what happened to the Supernatural guys to happen to him. That being locked into a cw show for 13 years.

Clearly getting a premium cable show proved it the smart move.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.