As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FATE/GRAND ORDER] Salt Always. The Queen Is Dead (Skadi)! Long Live The Queen (Castoria)!

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Why the heck is Astolfo trending on Twitter?

*clicks*

Oh...

Yeah, apparently Astolfo's VA had a similar reaction when they found out why the character was trending.

I haven't felt that sorry for a person since a customer at my old job just happened to be named Edward Cullen.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Now that the dust is settling, I think the chocolate event I enjoyed the most was Ivan's. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was pretty wholesome.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Yeah, the main event was pretty fun and I quite enjoyed most of the new VA for the scenes. It seems like they actually retranslated some of the gift scenes for voicing, I remember some of the dialogue being a little different; minor changes, to be sure. Took the time collect as many as possible, of particular note were the following that I missed or weren't available the first time around:

Saber Gilles - The game's most average dude tries to sell you on his Jeanne fanzine, until the genuine article sneaks up and gives him a chokehold. What sells it is the text box auto-scrolling as the actor breathlessly gushes about her, and it got steadily funnier just for the contrast.
    Assassin Emiya - I like how the protagonist is canonically still too young to drink alcohol, yet this guy gives you a fucking gun. Top-tier candidate for Most Responsible Father of the Year.
    Jekyll - Other than being a rubbish assassin hiding a lackluster berserker, he's a good dude that gets treats for other Chaldea staff. He's also one of the few male servants who gets close to propositioning the protagonist (I remember the original lines being a little more direct).
    Yagyu - Takes you to a VR recreation of Momiji Bridge, which sounds absolutely lovely in reality and is now on my to-see list should I get to visit Japan again. This guy's good people, and the more I field him, the more I like him.
    Ryouma & Oryou - These two never stop being entertaining; her only gripe about him getting chocolate is wondering where her share is, to which the MC replies by giving her some as well. If the new Carnival Phantasm doesn't do at least one Gudaguda episode it is some wasted potential.

Yu Mei-Ren - Goes on about how she's fundamentally different from humans and how they'll never get along, and is transparently unable to deal with an MC that takes it in stride and thanks her for the chocolate. Also she very definitely didn't hand-wrap the chocolate because she cares about you or anything, d-dummy.
    Fujino - Makes you the usual assortment of sweets, along with one shaped like a bridge. She suggests biting into it and pretending you're a kaiju or something destroying a building. Nice girl when you get to know her, definitely planning on taking to 100.
    Jeannezerker - Naturally tries downplay the act of giving you chocolate, only to run back in every time it looks like she's leaving to correct any possible misconceptions. She's trying so hard to look like she's not trying and it's just precious.
    MHXX - Takes you on a cool space adventure, in which Castle Cjeste Himeji Pyramid becomes the site of the world's biggest parking violation. I like to think her and Mecha Eli-chan are in a tug of war over who gets to call you their space buddy. And speaking of which...
    Mecha-Eli Mk. II - Where Mecha I gave you a command helmet, she gives you a custom seatbelt for when you eventually pilot the giant version of her. Naturally more subdued than her cohort, but it's a cute little scene all the same.

Honorable mention for previous characters goes to Shuten (dear lord but Aoi Yuuki's voice is a weapon in the wrong hands), Sheba (her being flustered never stops being entertaining), and Bedivere (his VA sounds airlifted from an otome game, where he was best boy and it wasn't even close). Good stuff all around, I really appreciate the effort that went into all this :+1:

Stolls on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Ryouma & Oryou - These two never stop being entertaining; her only gripe about him getting chocolate is wondering where her share is, to which the MC replies by giving her some as well. If the new Carnival Phantasm doesn't do at least one Gudaguda episode it is some wasted potential.

This was definitely one of my favorites. I'm very biased though, absolutely love these two.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Keeping up with tradition, Summer BB is one of the few servants who has an actual Bad Ending in their valentines scene. She sure is a problem, huh.

(The other two, for reference, are normal BB and Kiara.)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tamamo Cat stuck out to me the most. It's one thing to read her crazy, it's a whole other experience to hear all the emphasis she puts on random words.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Well, that was one of the worst Rolling session I ever had, 240 sq gave me one Lip and literały nothing else, just a lot of CE's. Im sad.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    After getting thrashed on my first attempt, I tried switching to Jeanne support for my KP stall team. Skadi met with an unfortunate accident but apparently Mash does much better stalling with Jeanne/Tamamo and I ended up wondering how long I needed to wait to finish her off.
    77aeYik.jpg

2.5M on the NP, never did find out how much the regular hits were. That was a pretty fun diversion.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Every now and then, luck arranges itself in such a way that could cause certain people to misinterpret it as some kind of preordained miracle. Uh, not me, though.

nJ9Ya9w.jpg

I threw a 'what the hell, I'm at a nice, even number' 10-roll at the banner for CEs and whahey Melt is NP2 now. What makes this kind of wild is she was actually my first 5* when I was still getting caught up; I'd barely gotten through Babylonia in time to finish the event. She's a bit dangerous to handle and I think she's actually trying to get the protagonist killed, but, well, a lot of people on the roster have tried that. It's just a $50 fine now.

Anyway! Back to feeding chocolates to Formal Craft. You will eat Serenity's poison chocolate and you will tell her it is delicious or so help me god

so help me god there will be consequences.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Kingprotea down. God damn but that took some doing.

Right, so the gist is she gets half a million more HP each round and periodically resets to 'just' 2 million, gaining a stacking set of debuffs each time. Thus you're meant to either blitz her down immediately, buff your DPS and backline them to wait for the right window, or tank through the onslaught until even your basic attacks are doing millions. All, sadly, require some pretty specific setups, though this is a situation where a borrowed David or two can actually work wonders due to class advantage. You're also counting on the fact that buffs on your backline don't expire, so those same supports can double layer them once your star servant is brought back in.

In my case I was trying to tough it out with Skadi, a borrowed Merlin, and a rotating lineup of hard-hitters trying to crit her down in the first window. Just lasting that long is difficult; she has a knack for punishing casters and your supports need a lot of protection. Notably, servants who tag in can miss the initial set of buffs, making it possible to heal them. Fran was one of my closest attempts ('Unwanted Bride' my fucking ass) getting within 100k of victory; a Buster instead of Arts crit woudl've done it. This all wholly depends on how the stars land, which can be difficult to set up the round before.

What finally did it was Jeannezerker, Hans, Skadi, borrowed Merlin, Mash, and d'Eon, with some leaning on sacrifice plays. I actually burned my CSs on earlier attempts but managed this one without, though it was close:

1) GUDAGUDA Poster Girl makes Hans an intentional early target, with Merlin to jump in after him. The plugsuit stun stalled KP long enough to charge Hans' NP, which, coupled with his crit buffs, gave Jeanne some extra muscle in addition to Merlin and Skadi (the latter at odds with the buster focus, but she was needed for her team evade).
    2) With Jeanne fully buffed, swap for d'Eon and start holding the line, cycling invuln for evade. d'EOn has Fragment of 2030 - crit stars will be essential later.
    3) When she switches to defense down on turn 7, d'Eon taunts and draws as much fire as possible, relying on class advantage to stay in the fight.
    4) Keep Merlin's NP running as often as possible; arts combos and regen become important when KP switches to the NP gain penalty at turn 14.
    5) When close enough to turn 22, Skadi becomes expendable (backline is positioned so Mash will step in first, which she does).
    6) On turn 22, swap in Jeanne. Pile on buffs and let the games begin.
    B6qHxdR.jpg

Variations I've seen discussed include different berserkers, or holding the line for longer and pumping up other damaging servants; Jeanne came recommended for the extra attack buff, but Ibaraki probably would've worked as well, and apparently it's possible for Herc or Kintoki to one-turn it with specific setups. Overall an interesting fight, if kind of overdesigned for my liking - you either need a lot of patience or about as much luck, and that's on top of having just the right servants to make it work.

Not gonna lie, though, it felt damn good to see those crit numbers. :+1:

Stolls on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Finally found the motivation/time for Kingprotea. Can report that a classic Merlin+Waver plugsuit slingshot to buff Jerker will kill even on NP only even with Waver dead already to not doublebuff from him. Merlin+Waver+Mash was sufficient stall to get most of the way there, Tamamo and Iri (lol) entered by around turn 19 but didn't have to do much.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    It took fourish tries and 61 turns, but solo Enkidu finally slew the giant.

Man, that stunlock sure is something.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I got all the way up to the KP fight with 10 minutes to go and I just didn't have the stomach for it after marathoning the first 9 fights. That bullshit with Ozy's break bar in particular...

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    I didn't do any of the black hole fights and just barely managed to kill Epilogue BB seconds before the clock struck the new day for 100 missions complete.

Not like I'm lacking materials anyway. I've got several hundred of most sitting around waiting for me to actually spend some resources.

• Options
    I didn't do any of the black hole fights and just barely managed to kill Epilogue BB seconds before the clock struck the new day for 100 missions complete.

Not like I'm lacking materials anyway. I've got several hundred of most sitting around waiting for me to actually spend some resources.
    It was a Grail, though...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

It was a Grail, though...

Oh is that what the final prize was? Didn't know that, but probably wouldn't have gotten me interested anyway since I still have 21 of those I haven't used.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I ran out of time and patience on that last fight.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Think it's about time to get MHXX skilled up.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The most recent batch of interludes has quite a curious mix. Of the three I was able to try out:

Nightingale - A dream ghost confesses to her but she vows to punch her way to a better world instead. Less tongue-in-cheek, it's a simple but decently presented exploration of her central contradiction, that of a legendary nurse consumed with a berserker's mania; dreams that demand she one day settle down are contrasted with a spirit origin straining to hold her together. For me, Fate tends to be at its strongest as a series of character studies, examining myths and historical figures by creating sentient constructs far removed from their circumstances. Here they acknowledge the fit doesn't make sense, suggesting a ruleset that isn't fully understood, and the question is how well such a paradoxical being can function in the long term. Naturally, through Protagonist Power, the answer is "pretty darn well if you give her a chance." Head Nurse gonna Head Nurse 'til the healing is done, even if that means using a live stick grenade as a melee weapon.

Yagyu - This guy gets cooler with every scene he's in. Like his fellow Shimousa participants, this one is partly about the difference between himself and his alternate world counterpart, though starts with Yagyu using the Holodeck simulator for something fun. Tomoe, Chiyome, and Saber Diarmuid tag along trying to find out what he's doing in the simulator so much, and it turns out he's just visiting random eras to try out food. There's a hidden purpose, of course, and that's where the Shimousa stuff comes in; the throughline is a servant who is uniquely grounded and self-aware, and thus more complete than his other self. This manifests as special buffs in the boss battle, which requires him to be there, and overall it's a neat little side story. I wasn't quite taken with the main plot of Shimousa, but the interludes involving that chapter and its cast are consistently well done.

Yu Mei-ren - AKA time to bully the consort. It's mostly about Yu still struggling to adjust; she keeps trying to test the protagonist's patience and is clearly unaccustomed to a human that isn't terribly bothered by her. Emiya gets roped into some amusing counseling that comes down to simulator fights to sort things out, which get progressively more jokey as the rest of the China gang joins in. Turns out she was faking more than her identity, and her skills as a master have not improved since the lostbelt. Ultimately we go back to square one and she just needs more time in the back of farming parties before becoming besties. Still, it's a fun interlude and everybody gets a few good quips in at her expense. Lanling steals the show here, getting a special solo fight at max stats and skills, which he easily handles. I really should try rolling for him again, that dude is all business in the right situations.

Stolls on
  • Options
    0X6fu6w.png

Boy, that went well. I never rolled for Kama on my JP account, but I always heard that she was pretty incredible. I guess I'll get to find out why!

• Options
    Well, this event's off to a running start. I was throwing tickets for event CEs and then this happens:

v0wZRlL.jpg

I used just three of the goddamn things. Figures Moriarty was a no-show after a serious effort even with Saber Fran on board, but the weird assassin girl that's probably far more evil? Yeah, sure, let's bring her on board! I see what's going on here!

("Luck creates false patterns that confuse me," is what's going on here. But hey, I ain't gonna complain. Welcome aboard, Kama! :+1: )

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I struck out.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    NP2 Parvati, NP3 Nitocris, and finally Kama at the 330 SQ mark. Phew.

Also the most lopsided CE distribution I think I've ever seen... 2 x 3*, 1 x 5*, 13 x 4*.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    A big pile of quartz in to try and get NP2 on Parvati. Only took like 180.

...also Kama came out the same roll.

And NP3 inferno on the way.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Been saving for this and it still took the lot, but managed to grab Kama NP1 and five copies of the 5* Event CE which actually looks really damn good even outside the event.

Now I start to build up my stock again for Summer.

• Options
    Another event where NP2 Anastasia is an all-star it seems. Assassins everywhere, NP looping them for days.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    No Kama, or event CEs but I did get Napoleon, so yay?

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Token rolls just for a CE/chance at Parvati for better looping, stopping on a gold...

Single 23 - 4* Event CE.

Oof. Well, all right...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Im not rolling this event, failure to get Melt made me sad, so now I am abstaining from rolling until 4th Anniversary and Summer, as Rider Da Vinci and summer servants are my targets.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    No Kama. I still don't have an SSR Assassin. Sad times.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    1st Floor

Went to the left to start, all the way to the left, and found a chimera boss but nothing else of note. Heading back to the previous junction and going north this time to see what's up there. I'm liking this dungeon crawling sort of thing, committing to a route until the end then exploring elsewhere to find new paths. The three Servant limit (which I hope gets removed eventually) is also perfect for Skadi comp.

Madican on
  • Options
    1st Floor

Went to the left to start, all the way to the left, and found a chimera boss but nothing else of note. Heading back to the previous junction and going north this time to see what's up there. I'm liking this dungeon crawling sort of thing, committing to a route until the end then exploring elsewhere to find new paths. The three Servant limit (which I hope gets removed eventually) is also perfect for Skadi comp.

Yeah, it's been pretty straightforward so far to clean out since all the fights just explode to any kind of AoE looping setup at all. (Or are single targets who blow up to the usual suspects)

• Options
    This event is generally really good. It's also pretty long, though. Certainly longer than it first seems.

I definitely advise abusing the shit out of the forced mystic code skills. It's definitely worth it if they speed things up at all.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    1st Floor

Yeah, while it's a bit clunky from the interface I get what they're going for with this event, and it's grown on me. The room descriptions remind me a bit of a text adventure with a map interface, telling part of the story and adding a hint of suspense for what's around the corner. Obviously there's only so much they can do within the game engine, but it creates a unique feeling of exploration, contrasting the normal VN approach of leaning on talking heads to depict movement. The tweak to the mystic code is neat as well, and reminds me of fighting Ivan in the Russian lostbelt. I enjoy it when they try little gameplay twists like this. :+1:
    This event is generally really good. It's also pretty long, though. Certainly longer than it first seems.

I definitely advise abusing the shit out of the forced mystic code skills. It's definitely worth it if they speed things up at all.

Seconding this. The crit star skill gives you an instant 50 of them, which in one case was enough for Nobu to singlehandedly demolish a big snake in a single turn.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Floor 1

I've found the way down to the next floor but I'm staying up here to clear up the paths I didn't take before moving on. Lancelot and Skadi continue to perform work and this new Mystic Code ability change is hilarious when I can use the stun to lock down a big boss while I chunk it for half its health on the first turn, recharge while it's stunned, then finish it off before it can do literally anything.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I finished off the final boss

I liked this event a lot- a nice change of pace from events that just involve running the same stage over and over or dealing with inflated HP pools

• Options
    Next welfare servant for JP: Mysterious Idol X Alter.

xfvn4ceugodv.png

• Options
    The main Servant for that event has some meme worthy pants

• Options
    Okay, cleared the event story.

Mechanically, I appreciate what this is doing though I think there are some technical issues that drag it down (minor loading hitch on hitting every node adds up and gets grating).

Story wise? I actually think this was one of the worst and just wanted it to end.
    Kama constantly chewing scenery and I couldn't possibly care less. Get the hell off the screen, I don't care about you, I eyeroll at your entire plot and existence, and the gauge twist was real obvious and we weren't allowed to comment on it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I struck out.

Holy shit

Same. I had 180 free quartz....and then mysteriously another 181 quartz.

Thankfully I didn’t black out from rage because I certainly had the money to make awful decisions.