As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'd suggest Those Who Hunt Elves next, but I guess that's technically an isekai...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    if it's a 90s "isekai" then it's probably fine, those tend not to have the overused wish fulfillment power fantasy story tropes I hate from the current isekai shows.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It's inexorably linked in my mind with Sorcerer Hunters, for probably obvious reasons. Those were the days.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    if it's a 90s "isekai" then it's probably fine, those tend not to have the overused wish fulfillment power fantasy story tropes I hate from the current isekai shows.

It's the one where they strip elf women to find magical tattoos.

Also a tank possessed by a cat's ghost.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hrm :?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    hrm :?

It's not sexual for them the majority of the cast is women in fact. And a bear that shits toilet paper. The story is more about 3 idiots who arguably couldn't function in the real world that become an effective force in this weird fantasy world while trying to get home.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Brett Weaver and Tiffany Grant were in both, and I saw them at the same panel back at my first or second convention. Beyond the name, that would explain why I associate the two. Lisa Ortiz and Crispin Freeman were there as well, it was pretty great.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Speaking of insane, Haikyuu's recent development!

I am impressed with the balls on the mangaka to just ignore expectations

I'd much rather a series being written to a conclusion over lasting forever, so I'm pretty behind the decision.

The series is pretty happy to cut to flashbacks, so I'm sure we'll see some of the last few years.

At least I hope so, because...
    I want to see Bokuto win the nationals before the time skip.

Also interesting that Shiratorizawa never managed to make it to Nationals once their third years graduated.

Kelor on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I realize most people have written it off, but Fire Force 14 this week was real good.

Also, Atsushi Ōkubo continues to draw the best faces of insane people. Definitely his hallmark.

• Options
    I realize most people have written it off, but Fire Force 14 this week was real good.

Also, Atsushi Ōkubo continues to draw the best faces of insane people. Definitely his hallmark.

I was bored of the Japanese nationalist fire dude being an asshole is that finally over?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

I was bored of the Japanese nationalist fire dude being an asshole is that finally over?
    He got over it? Then did some flashy things.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    wow was not expecting dr. stone to actually get some strong emotional reactions out of me. As a whole I only think it's kind of above average and that's mostly based on the inspired premise, but that was a good backstory in the last two episodes.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    wow was not expecting dr. stone to actually get some strong emotional reactions out of me. As a whole I only think it's kind of above average and that's mostly based on the inspired premise, but that was a good backstory in the last two episodes.

Oh you have no idea

• Options
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

Demon Slayer was really incredible but Dr. Stone is my favorite show this year and it kind of isn't close

It is a delight every week

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    yeah those sorts of backstory episodes usually dont do it for me but I really liked them

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I wanna see Belldandy suplex someone now

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    They're actually doing a spin-off backstory manga about Senku's dad and the astronauts!

First chapter should come out tomorrow.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Dr Stone this week
    Rebuilding human population and society focused solely around having them be useful for your petrified son under the confident assumption that he someday, potentially eons later, will reanimate and be capable of saving the world is one hell of a called shot

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Been watching Dr Stone on Toonami myself. Last week's episode ending, with his electricity experiment creating electric light for the first time in milennia, was stunning.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Dr Stone this week
    Rebuilding human population and society focused solely around having them be useful for your petrified son under the confident assumption that he someday, potentially eons later, will reanimate and be capable of saving the world is one hell of a called shot

I mean
    it’s pretty clear his dad has/had immense faith in his son’s ability to learn and grow and embrace science, he knows/knew he was special, so not as a crazy a called shot as one might think.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I recall that the dub actors of Belldandy and Keiichi got married after meeting on the show.

Their email was 'BellAndKei@aol.com', if memory serves. They were super nice.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Been watching Dr Stone on Toonami myself. Last week's episode ending, with his electricity experiment creating electric light for the first time in milennia, was stunning.

It's those held moments with the sense of wonder about things we take for granted which are the real treasure of that series.

There's two more that should be coming soon-ish, if memory serves.
    drinking cola

The sensation of seeing a sunflower through glasses for the first time

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Dr Stone this week

I mean
    it’s pretty clear his dad has/had immense faith in his son’s ability to learn and grow and embrace science, he knows/knew he was special, so not as a crazy a called shot as one might think.
    There's being confident in your kid being a science wiz

and then there's being confident that petrification is not death, that your kid specifically will some day be reanimated and be capable of curing petrification for everyone else, and that your other descendants will continue to pass on these stories you made so that they will be encouraged to emigrate to Japan so that they will be ready to help out your reanimated son once they figure out the whole sea faring thing

I'm not complaining

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    the creator of D. Gray Man is believed to have developed a pretty serious degenerative illness. She's really reclusive though so it's hard to tell. People just know that she's been hospitalized a lot.

I'd believe it. Her hiatuses last for like a year or more at a time.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ross....

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    So i just learned that andrew freaking w.k. covered a bunch of gundam songs and that is just so amazing in so many ways

• Options
    That album is great

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Huh, it looks like Toonami dropped Boruto. I wonder if it'll come back later once one of the shorter series ends or if it's gone for good One Piece style.

• Options
    I heard they ran out of episodes?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    speaking of which, just got back and I thought stampede ruled

Honestly, I wasn't sure I would enjoy Stampede nearly as much as I did. Just wall-to-wall fanservice (the good kind, not the creepy kind) celebrating 20 years of meticulous world-building.

Though one thing bugged me.
    They referred to Law as a Warlord, even though he had been stripped of that title a while ago. Weird.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    The two parts in Stampede that got the biggest cheers from my audience were
    When Luffy retaliated against Bullet's Conqueror's Haki with his own burst of Haki, and at the end when Luffy crushes the Eternal Pose.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Yep, the moment was just so fucking well done.

• Options
    Zython wrote: »
    speaking of which, just got back and I thought stampede ruled

Honestly, I wasn't sure I would enjoy Stampede nearly as much as I did. Just wall-to-wall fanservice (the good kind, not the creepy kind) celebrating 20 years of meticulous world-building.

Though one thing bugged me.
    They referred to Law as a Warlord, even though he had been stripped of that title a while ago. Weird.

i actually hadnt even thought of that

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Started up Cautious Isekai. Ain't no kill like overkill, I guess?

(Yes I know the why behind the behaviour.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dr St9ne prequel manga
    They added a robot. This is odd and I assume the robot will come up at aome point

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Oh you have no idea

I still don't get the love for Dr. Stone.
    I mean I'm watching it but with a few exceptions its been very "meh...guess I'll keep watching it'. Like everyones all emotional about this last episode...but I couldnt stop questioning the fact that the 6 only people in the world thought it was a good idea to stay on a primitive island for three years instead of moving to the mainland and living in I dunno..an actual city with things like food and hospitals full of medicines. something that obviously was possible since the last survivor was able to move himself and a ton of children from a south american island across the pacific all the way back to japan to form his settlement. I mean you have 6 astronauts (well 5 and one tourist)... you would think they would have the engineering knowledge to build a stable boat. not to mention they didnt go into the reason they were at the island in the first place at all. which was to find the source of the blast that petrified everyone. they find one petrified guy, and never mention it again? This could have been presented so much smarter. the 100 stories is also rather idiotic. The Libraries didnt turn into stone...the buildings didnt just collapse for hundreds of years. and the biggest 'wtf' was that his dad got all the way back to japan and didnt bother to go to his sons school, find his petrified corpse and I dunno..protect it somehow??? Hes just going to rely on it saving the world wherever the hell it is, and not even bother trying to do anything himself??

Yes I get I'm about to apply real science to an anime....but thats what the show is friggin about so I'm going to do it: Nitric Acid, the 'destoning' substance is present in so many things that it makes no sense that he woke up first.
    1) It's an ingredient in Hot Dogs, and garlic is high in it. So anyone eating a hotdog or italian food at the time of the flash would likely have woken up before Senku.
    2) It's an ingredient in Fertilizer. anyone who got stoned and fell down into a garden would have woken up first.
    3) It's even more proof of my "WTF" that 5 people who should have been pretty damn smart people didnt even try common things to break the petrification.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    azith28 wrote: »

Oh you have no idea

I still don't get the love for Dr. Stone.
    I mean I'm watching it but with a few exceptions its been very "meh...guess I'll keep watching it'. Like everyones all emotional about this last episode...but I couldnt stop questioning the fact that the 6 only people in the world thought it was a good idea to stay on a primitive island for three years instead of moving to the mainland and living in I dunno..an actual city with things like food and hospitals full of medicines. something that obviously was possible since the last survivor was able to move himself and a ton of children from a south american island across the pacific all the way back to japan to form his settlement. I mean you have 6 astronauts (well 5 and one tourist)... you would think they would have the engineering knowledge to build a stable boat. not to mention they didnt go into the reason they were at the island in the first place at all. which was to find the source of the blast that petrified everyone. they find one petrified guy, and never mention it again? This could have been presented so much smarter. the 100 stories is also rather idiotic. The Libraries didnt turn into stone...the buildings didnt just collapse for hundreds of years. and the biggest 'wtf' was that his dad got all the way back to japan and didnt bother to go to his sons school, find his petrified corpse and I dunno..protect it somehow??? Hes just going to rely on it saving the world wherever the hell it is, and not even bother trying to do anything himself??

Yes I get I'm about to apply real science to an anime....but thats what the show is friggin about so I'm going to do it: Nitric Acid, the 'destoning' substance is present in so many things that it makes no sense that he woke up first.
    1) It's an ingredient in Hot Dogs, and garlic is high in it. So anyone eating a hotdog or italian food at the time of the flash would likely have woken up before Senku.
    2) It's an ingredient in Fertilizer. anyone who got stoned and fell down into a garden would have woken up first.
    3) It's even more proof of my "WTF" that 5 people who should have been pretty damn smart people didnt even try common things to break the petrification.
    Isn’t the miracle fluid a combination of nitric acid and alcohol in specific ratios? They weren’t able to make it work until they made alcohol.

If I understand correctly, Senku and Taiju broke out early because they managed to stay conscious for the whole period of their petrificafion (Senku by counting and plotting, Taiju by his single-minded focus on protecting Yuzuriha). The energy consumed by the act of thinking weakened their stone shells over time, causing Senku to break free because he was also in a fortunate location, and Taiju to break out 6 weeks later. Everyone else needs the full-strength revival formula.

As for finding the formula, Senku did have a cheat of sorts in that he broke out early, so he had his own example to start from.

Enlong on
This discussion has been closed.