As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Was this after Haruhi ruined anime for a generation?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't remember man I can barely remember what aired last year

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Love Hina doomed us to like a decade of romcom harem and they all needed some sort of gimmick to make them stand out from the others.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Love Hina doomed us to like a decade of romcom harem and they all needed some sort of gimmick to make them stand out from the others.

I think that was Tenchi, actually.

Love Hina just kind of refined the formula into the thing that everyone copied.

And by refined I mean made it extremely generic.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They should bring back the Slayers anime.

• Options
    yeah I don't know how they managed to recapture the animation style and writing of the 90s Slayers series so well in the '08/'09 revival but they did a good job there, do that again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    crunchyroll recently put sorcerer hunters up, which is something i've wanted to watch for the last...twenty years, since it was in mixxzine. it's very slayers-y, if you're interested

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Let's not forget the Moe Invasion, led by Manabi Straight and K-On!

sig.gif
  • Options
    I've never really been able to tell the difference between moe art style and anything else, I can tell if something's from the 80s or 90s pretty well but everything that doesn't have a very idiosyncratic style in the 00s and 2010s looks pretty similar to me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i'm down for a miserable and punishing show but this show sure is wallowing in it to a point where even I'm turned off

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i'm down for a miserable and punishing show but this show sure is wallowing in it to a point where even I'm turned off

It gets better!

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    crunchyroll recently put sorcerer hunters up, which is something i've wanted to watch for the last...twenty years, since it was in mixxzine. it's very slayers-y, if you're interested

Oh Sorcerer Hunters! Talk about a horny blast from the past - only realized years later that the garrote-wielding red head only had suspenders to cover her top instead of a tiny jacket. Excellent ED tho.

• Options
    yeah it's horny as hell and i didn't even think to mention it, sorry. my gauge is a little broken

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    yeah it's horny as hell and i didn't even think to mention it, sorry. my gauge is a little broken

You've been in the horny weeds to long Whippy. Time to come home

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    n-no! i only have 3 episodes of the testament of sister new devil BURST left, and then....8 episodes of chivalry of a failed knight....and i'm 12 episodes into my rewatch of food wars! i live in the dumpster and my name is dumpster girl, "HORNY" and "WEED" are the only words to describe my life right now

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    n-no! i only have 3 episodes of the testament of sister new devil BURST left, and then....8 episodes of chivalry of a failed knight....and i'm 12 episodes into my rewatch of food wars! i live in the dumpster and my name is dumpster girl, "HORNY" and "WEED" are the only words to describe my life right now
    Well at least you have weed

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

I think there's an OVA for Testament Burst. Released around the beginning of this season, probably so people would see it when scanning episode 1s for series descriptions.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It's my day off today so I am binging Yu Yu Hakusho

Beasteh on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well at least you have weed

I think Monster Masume could fit into that list.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

But Haruhi was very good, and K-On was also good.

Honestly if anything Haruhi was a positive for the anime industry, because it made KyoAni roughly all the money and got us an explosion of shorter, more character-focused series.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    there was definitely one season where there were three running at the same time.

one was bad.
    the other was worse.
    and the third was ahahahahahahahaha.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So week 3-4. Lets see everyones watch lists.

Mine:
    (Names are loosely translated to english)

Saturday
    Deku
    Demon Deku
    Sword art Deku
    We don't learn Deku
    Music Deku

Monday
    Ordinary girl Deku

Wednesday
    Perverted Wrestler Deku
    Cautious Deku
    Book Deku
    177031 Deku
    Board game Deku

Friday
    Stone Deku
    Food Deku

Weird how concentrated the days are. Last season everything i watched was like on two days as well.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to figure out which day Legend of Reinhardt's Hair Growing is airing I just caught up last week

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Drascin wrote: »

Honestly if anything Haruhi was a positive for the anime industry, because it made KyoAni roughly all the money and got us an explosion of shorter, more character-focused series.

Haruhi was good, but the hundreds of shows that all tried to ride those coat rails were bad.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode of Humanity Has Declined last night. I'm not entirely sure if I get it, or like it. But the skinned chicken and bread robot scenes have earned it another episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I’m still basically just watching stuff on Toonami. Skipping Fire Force, of course.

Still bummed at Vento Aureo’s awful time slot, but since it’s not blocked from me by an hour of [x]ruto, I’ll probably watch it at the time anyway.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I am enjoying the Keikaku Keikaku Keikaku jokes coming out of last week's MHA episode.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Haruhi was good, but the hundreds of shows that all tried to ride those coat rails were bad.

You're always going to get the drek though. No exception in any form of media.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Um so what might be my favourite queer manga in recent years is getting a film adaptation next year, which is something I would never have expected and it's extremely exciting.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

It gets better!

ehhhhhhhhh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Mine:

Saturday
    Deku
    Demon Deku
    Sword art Deku
    We don't learn Deku
    Music Deku

Monday
    Ordinary girl Deku

Wednesday
    Perverted Wrestler Deku
    Cautious Deku
    Book Deku
    177031 Deku
    Board game Deku

Friday
    Stone Deku
    Food Deku

Weird how concentrated the days are. Last season everything i watched was like on two days as well.

Needs more Viking Deku

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    There needs to be an anime about a kid getting mad at video games, so we can have a series about Deku Scrub.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Mine:

Saturday
    Deku
    Demon Deku
    Sword art Deku
    We don't learn Deku
    Music Deku

Monday
    Ordinary girl Deku

Wednesday
    Perverted Wrestler Deku
    Cautious Deku
    Book Deku
    177031 Deku
    Board game Deku

Friday
    Stone Deku
    Food Deku

Needs more Viking Deku Bakugo

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    8sli7ksihavx.png

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    What about Competitive Poetry Listening Deku?

Everyone should be watching that!

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Deku is just green-haired Tanjiro anyway, change my mind

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    There needs to be an anime about a kid getting mad at video games, so we can have a series about Deku Scrub.

That's definitely Hi-Score Girl

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    chihayafuru: its pretty

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular

Mine:

Saturday
    Deku
    Demon Deku
    Sword art Deku
    We don't learn Deku
    Music Deku

Monday
    Ordinary girl Deku

Wednesday
    Perverted Wrestler Deku
    Cautious Deku
    Book Deku
    177031 Deku
    Board game Deku

Friday
    Stone Deku
    Food Deku

Monday - 2 shows
    Tuesday - 1
    Wednesday - 7
    Thursday - 6
    Friday - 5
    Saturday - 5
    Sunday - 5

Which leaves out just Psycho Pass which hasn't started airing yet. Think it airs on thursdays. My schedule is stupid since I watch just about everything.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Finally, the logical conclusion to this meme.

This discussion has been closed.