As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Well
    Senku somehow ended up in what looks like a bat cave (Given that he was on the second floor of the school building when the flash happened, its weird in itself that he survived what likely was the collapse of a building over time, leading into the formation of a natural cave), which would have only provided the acid. the part that you mention is basically the anime 'willpower is OP' bullshit part i can forgive...it is fiction after all. but everything else i said is still relevant. 5 people turning into a civilization could have researched the problem over decades with the tools that were still functional instead of just putting all there bets on 'oh i believe the people are alive in the stone and one day they will start to break out naturally' lets just teach them how to make fire then die.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    wow was not expecting dr. stone to actually get some strong emotional reactions out of me. As a whole I only think it's kind of above average and that's mostly based on the inspired premise, but that was a good backstory in the last two episodes.

I read the manga, so I assume you're talking about
    Byakuya and the space station?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well
    Senku somehow ended up in what looks like a bat cave (Given that he was on the second floor of the school building when the flash happened, its weird in itself that he survived what likely was the collapse of a building over time, leading into the formation of a natural cave), which would have only provided the acid. the part that you mention is basically the anime 'willpower is OP' bullshit part i can forgive...it is fiction after all. but everything else i said is still relevant. 5 people turning into a civilization could have researched the problem over decades with the tools that were still functional instead of just putting all there bets on 'oh i believe the people are alive in the stone and one day they will start to break out naturally' lets just teach them how to make fire then die.

Oh absolutely, the other stuff you said is still relevant. I responded to the part that I had an actual answer for, is all.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I was re-reading a bunch of "Actually I Am..." because I had some free time and it's really good.

I think Akane might be my favorite character? She's essentially the secretly-good-hearted prankster trope, but with both the "secretly-good-hearted" and "prankster" bits turned up to 11. It's also good because her pranks rarely stop or regress the plot, and usually move it forward instead (except in regards to Akari's love life). Plus the bit in Chapter 82 where Akari returns home from the field trip and Akane is acting weirdly nice so you know she did something horrible but nothing can prepare you for what she actually did. Or how she's the most powerful character in the series, but the only time she uses what is probably her strongest ability is to...try and cook baked potatoes faster.

It also doesn't hurt that she probably gets some of the best facial expressions in the series.
    pgioxrvs6zk7.png

Sequel series set in college when? I especially want to see...
    Them having to deal with pregnant Youko and the eventual vampire baby while juggling their studies and all the craziness their social lives bring. Also I want Aizawa to get a better ending.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Has there ever been anything set in college? I feel like if that were to happen, Japan would spontaneously combust.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    There's definitely a handful of shows set in college. Genshiken, Tatami Galaxy.... okay I can only think of two but still.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Does Japan have a typical college? Thought university was all they have because of their education system.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Everyone in japan turns into a background character the instant they graduate from high school

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Not so many, but there are a few I can think of (though honestly most probably aren't safe for the thread). There is "Cigarette & Cherry" and "Kanojo, Okarishimasu" though.

It does seem to be a bit of a blindspot with most things being high school or in the work force (or a NEET) though.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Has there ever been anything set in college? I feel like if that were to happen, Japan would spontaneously combust.

A lot of series are set in college. Their target demographics are people in college or who've just graduated.

A ton of stuff seems to be set in high schools because that's the target audience a lot of the time.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Genshiken is heavily about college life.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Golden Time was collage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Does Japan have a typical college? Thought university was all they have because of their education system.

I mean those terms are used pretty interchangeably in english.

But the post high school university life is what most people would mean when they say college and they definitely have that in Japan. Getting in just seems to be the most important part there.

• Options
    Almost forgot about Grand Blue which is about collage students who spend all their time drinking.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    there's plenty of anime about university students iirc

just nowhere near as many as there are about highschoolers

• Options
    With my original post, I was thinking that with like 200 chapters in the original manga, I thought "Actually I Am..." would be a good candidate for a college sequel since it already has a built-in fanbase.

Plus...
    ...it already proved you don't need to drag out the "will they/won't they" bit since Asahi and Youko got together before the manga was even halfway over, so you could easily continue it especially since they'll have new challenges with the baby and such.

But basically I just want more of that manga.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    wow was not expecting dr. stone to actually get some strong emotional reactions out of me. As a whole I only think it's kind of above average and that's mostly based on the inspired premise, but that was a good backstory in the last two episodes.

I read the manga, so I assume you're talking about
    Byakuya and the space station?

yup. what can I say I am a sucker baby for familial love.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

i hope she doesn’t think this means she’s won...

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Shamikowns

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    There's definitely a handful of shows set in college. Genshiken, Tatami Galaxy.... okay I can only think of two but still.

Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover.

Bakuman is briefly in high school but mostly post high school.

• Options
    The big advantage of doing a collage/university setting is you have a school setting without having to show them in class. Also your characters can drink, smoke, or be in a relationship that is past holding hands without any pearl clutching.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    A town where you live by seo kouji follows a couple for 8 or 9 years, hs, college and entering the work force.

• Options
    You know for a show that likes to focus on science, I find it funny that Dr. Stone:
    Glosses over how extremely screwed a population consisting of only six genetic donors would be, especially when four of those donors only managed to have four children between them before croaking. If you want to try and avoid the problems of extreme inbreeding you'd need to have as many kids as possible with as many possible mating pairs as possible. But in the scenario presented you have one possible mating pair and four children left so your odds become even worse than before. The only net positive they'd have going for them is being astronauts from different parts of the globe their starting inbreeding coefficients would be close to as low as you get. I guess maybe at some point in the story that'll come up and there will be some reveal or something.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You know for a show that likes to focus on science, I find it funny that Dr. Stone:
    Glosses over how extremely screwed a population consisting of only six genetic donors would be, especially when four of those donors only managed to have four children between them before croaking. If you want to try and avoid the problems of extreme inbreeding you'd need to have as many kids as possible with as many possible mating pairs as possible. But in the scenario presented you have one possible mating pair and four children left so your odds become even worse than before. The only net positive they'd have going for them is being astronauts from different parts of the globe their starting inbreeding coefficients would be close to as low as you get. I guess maybe at some point in the story that'll come up and there will be some reveal or something.

It seems like it definitely will come up again going by the current arc

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Well apparently genetic damage only comes out in this world as the ability to kick a football inbetween the females eyes.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Ahh Genshinken. It starts off as a realistic portrayal of being an otaku in college and then it morph into what otaku wishes it was like to be an otaku in college

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I mean, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Almost forgot about Grand Blue which is about collage students who spend all their time drinking.

I found it super entertaining how this is a manga about scuba diving, except that it's actually about male nudity, except that it's actually about drinking, except that it's, (buried fairly deeply behind some (okay, mostly one) pretty iffy characters), about friendship.

and facial expressions, of one kind:

KB2rEsP.png?1

and another (SFW, but possibly a bit unexpected)
    nl41KEj.png?1

• Options
    Finally had time and marathoned season 6 of RWBY. Still pretty good. It's interesting to see the art shift again.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ahh Genshinken. It starts off as a realistic portrayal of being an otaku in college and then it morph into what otaku wishes it was like to be an otaku in college

Personally, college was the only time in my life when being an otaku felt acceptable. (Also, it was where I got into V:TM, since it had a thriving LARP scene.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Finally had time and marathoned season 6 of RWBY. Still pretty good. It's interesting to see the art shift again.

Yeah they're definitely getting better and better utilizing Maya now that they've dropped poser.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    newest komi-san

the pain train continues 😭

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Oh no

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

that uh has nothing to do what I was talking about.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    so I just got outta Stampede. Not as rowdy or full a theater as Two Heroes was, which was nice. Whole lotta awkward kids, bless 'em

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Beastars is pretty neat and Legosi is a good wholesome boy.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options

Yeah they're definitely getting better and better utilizing Maya now that they've dropped poser.

Separate from the visuals, watching this compared to anime, I'm wondering if it's translation or cultural, but the characters in RWBY say "I love you" and physically express non-romantic affection (hugs/hand holding etc.) way more than any anime I can remember in a while.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    PiptheFair wrote: »

that uh has nothing to do what I was talking about.

I got confused until I actually clicked through into the link
    I'm pretty sure Pip was referring to the semi-titular antagonist in Parasite Eve, an anime-ass horror-RPG where the "science" such as it is makes absolutely no sense and just serves as a vehicle for the story

And for them to say "mitochondria" like, a LOT.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Oh god...todays Cautious hero...unexpected hilarious boobage.

This discussion has been closed.