Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Bastion/Bap is way too easy. Bap can camp the high window on the wave defense phase. Throw in Orisa and Zen and stuff just melts.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I got my glass cannon clear on Hog, who is surprisingly strong if you've got a good feel for his alt-fire range and are comfortable using your huffing face to tank for your mates. I was accompanied by Orisa/Torb/Mercy. Only that second turret Bastion in the last room really gave us an issue.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Okay so I barely used teleporter but Sym does pretty okay in Uprising in terms of damage output. The key is to really think about placing turrets on away-facing corners so that enemy aggro spots players first.

This strat falls apart a bit against larger groups and Bastions where face tanking isn't an option, but most of her kit gets good use, it's just less optimal than plenty of the rest of the cast.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Do the bastions keep spawning on the final push in glass cannon uprising or is it a set limit? Because they sneak up from behind once you take that first Orisa out or maybe that happened because we were trying to snipe that bitch ass bastion camping on the corner

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Do the bastions keep spawning on the final push in glass cannon uprising or is it a set limit? Because they sneak up from behind once you take that first Orisa out or maybe that happened because we were trying to snipe that bitch ass bastion camping on the corner

I really need to just learn the spawns for that. There is at least one that spawns behind after you take down the first Orisa. Not sure if there are more or not. Really need to learn to just turn around and wait for that fucker.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Sounds like the rumors of a new hero (Echo) Thursday were true.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Someone on Reddit had a theory that Echo is, in fact, Liao, or at least a simulation of her consciousness, an 'echo' if you will. This would tie in well with this new lore snippet; maybe Liao uses her digital copy to explore the link between life and AI.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I really need to just learn the spawns for that. There is at least one that spawns behind after you take down the first Orisa. Not sure if there are more or not. Really need to learn to just turn around and wait for that fucker.

I THINK there are infinite on a timer on Legendary, but only 1-2 that spawns on the lower difficulties at a chance with each Orisa killed, and can spawn either behind you, or in the regular player spawn (ie where the turret Bastion starts out).

E:

That datalog screams Echo to me. Honestly not sure what she's meant to be from the cinematics though. Would have said support from the McCree one, but the more recent one has her flying all over and blowing shit up, which is... really neither support nor tank. Still really want a Paladins Ying type support. I didn't play that game much, but I loved her kit and playstyle, and there's nothing like it in Overwatch yet.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Still really want a Paladins Ying type support. I didn't play that game much, but I loved her kit and playstyle, and there's nothing like it in Overwatch yet.

Essplain dis Ying ting.

Chance on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

I THINK there are infinite on a timer on Legendary, but only 1-2 that spawns on the lower difficulties at a chance with each Orisa killed, and can spawn either behind you, or in the regular player spawn (ie where the turret Bastion starts out).

E:

That datalog screams Echo to me. Honestly not sure what she's meant to be from the cinematics though. Would have said support from the McCree one, but the more recent one has her flying all over and blowing shit up, which is... really neither support nor tank. Still really want a Paladins Ying type support. I didn't play that game much, but I loved her kit and playstyle, and there's nothing like it in Overwatch yet.

Athena is Winston's personal AI, and the voice of the announcer. She's long been rumored as a hero, but the hints are not usually this on the nose. Echo seemed to have her own personality but maybe she's connected to Athena somehow.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Still really want a Paladins Ying type support. I didn't play that game much, but I loved her kit and playstyle, and there's nothing like it in Overwatch yet.

Essplain dis Ying ting.

Her basic gimmick is that she lays down clones, which are basically single target healing turrets. She can then swap places with clones, or turn them into kamikaze bombers. Paladins also has that thing OW2 is doing where you can change some aspect of the kit, and the kamikaze bombers can be changed to a short range healing burst instead. Her ult is a bland team-wide heal over time. She's like if Sym and Tracer had a big-boobed Chinese baby with a pew-pew laser sniper barrage primary fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSKnX-1IVw

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I had some pretty up-and-down comp games last night. Won most of my support games, went 2-7 on tank, but the few DPS games I got went very well, including the best Sombra game I've ever played. I don't play her a lot in comp since she doesn't usually get a lot of value at my elo, but I was feeling spicy and got crazy value with her on Volskaya. Hacked people out of their ults multiple times, and managed to use my ult to cancel two enemy ults at once at the perfect time on second point attack (McCree and Hog) to win the point. Felt very fucking good. If only it didn't take 10 minutes of queue to get to do that...

• Options
    Finally won glass cannon, it was me as Ashe, Torb, Sigma, and Lucio, and we just hugged that back L wall to flank the side on the final push with Bob being a distraction and the turret getting the splicers. Might try lava but I think it's kind of meh as a gimmick and the normal damage means the fights will be longer on top of wiggling around the lava, maybe later in the week.

• Options
    I haven't played any of the PvE stuff. I'm just backstrokin' my way through QP, earnin' loot boxes.

• Options
    I haven't played any of the PvE stuff. I'm just backstrokin' my way through QP, earnin' loot boxes.

The PvE stuff seems to give out semi-random loot boxes not linked to XP or Arcade wins. I thought maybe it was first wins in challenges but I got it in a normal UPrising run so dunno.

• Options
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Someone on Reddit had a theory that Echo is, in fact, Liao, or at least a simulation of her consciousness, an 'echo' if you will. This would tie in well with this new lore snippet; maybe Liao uses her digital copy to explore the link between life and AI.

Yeah I think that's what it is, she's deffo dead but she will have made an AI imprint of herself onto Echo, thus the name. Then every single one of Echo's voicelines are going to be some version of robot consciousness philosophy from Westworld.

Zek on
  • Options
    Terribad games last night. Didn't play for as long as I usually do in a session, but as I recall it was literally loss after loss, and my best game was an attack on Dorado that we didn't even get to the first point.

No, wait - we won a super-easy Horizon attack round with me just fucking around on McCree. I got the gold medal for 2 elims on point - flashing a Genji and Hog before my brother killed them.

The best game of the night - Dorado attack - was only awesome because the enemy Widow was absolutely vicious, and every time I killed her it felt amazing. Got PotG for sticking the Moira, who backed behind her Reinhardt's shield and faded just in time for it to kill their Lucio + Rein, and then I went ahead and shot that Moira to death.

So that was cool. Terrible games :( sad Tracer.

• Options
  • Options
    Date 3/23? Aww, I was really hoping it was tomorrow.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Date 3/23? Aww, I was really hoping it was tomorrow.

Agreed.

Teases are fun when the tease itself is, for lack of a better term, pleasurable. This is mostly just irritating.

Maybe it's the recession, maybe it's the stop smoking meds, maybe it's the debilitating depression that has scuttled my life entire, maybe it's the fact that my home is a literal insane asylum, housing patients who really should be in a full care home but are instead under my threadbare protection, perhaps it's the pandemic that's sweeping the globe or - more likely - the panic and anxiety of the very thought of that - but...

...I really would've enjoyed a hero reveal this week.

Oh well. At least we'll get PS4 specs tonight :( and at least it was a good PotG.

• Options
    Maybe the release got a little delayed what with everyone working from home. Or maybe we'll have the lore drop today and then get some streamer content released tomorrow with gameplay.

All the early rumors were for the 19th being The Day, because of streamers announcing special OW streams for that day.

• Options
    Baptiste had his origin story dropped a day or two before going up on PTR. I distinctly remember people trying to figure out his kit from his design. Wouldn't be surprised if similar happens today for Echo, especially since this is a really early and weird time to post a new thing. Or going up on PTR today and live on 3/23. Or the 3/23 means nothing. Seems weird if they were going to 'tease' what's now obviously her for another 4 days.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Baptiste had his origin story dropped a day or two before going up on PTR. I distinctly remember people trying to figure out his kit from his design. Wouldn't be surprised if similar happens today for Echo, especially since this is a really early and weird time to post a new thing. Or going up on PTR today and live on 3/23. Or the 3/23 means nothing. Seems weird if they were going to 'tease' what's now obviously her for another 4 days.

I remember calling the notion of a "healing grenade launcher" based off just the picture of his weapon and everyone was like "no, that's insane."

^.^ yeahhhh. We've known what Echo looks like for what, a year and a half? And we have no idea. We think she flies lol.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/WeKUX6a5Nws

what is her kitttttt

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    It's typically reveal + PTR on the fourth day IIRC, so I had assumed that was tomorrow. Hopefully it still can be, at least a full reveal with abilities shown. It was never going to be live servers this week though.

I remember calling the notion of a "healing grenade launcher" based off just the picture of his weapon and everyone was like "no, that's insane."

^.^ yeahhhh. We've known what Echo looks like for what, a year and a half? And we have no idea. We think she flies lol.

The OW2 trailer shows her flying and shooting lasers that explode on the ground after a time delay.

• Options
    I don't know what to expect from the character but just no burst healing plz k thx.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Sigma was released to PTR the day after his origin story was released, so I'm optimistic that we'll see Echo up tomorrow

• Options
    https://youtu.be/WeKUX6a5Nws

what is her kitttttt

K that was more enjoyable but enough with the TEASE we've been waiting way too long!!!

• Options
    Seems like she must be a support given that she was created to help the world after apparently accidentally instigating a killer robot apocalypse. Also, the very soft and demure design really don't feel like they go with DPS. Maybe the delayed explodey pew pewing shots in the cinematic were part of her ult? I don't know. She pretty much vaporizes a bunch of robots in a flyby, which seems about as far from a robot designed to help rather than blow shit up as you can get.

Then again, given that virtually everybody in the Overwatch universe is about 3 minutes from a failed experiment turning them into a cackling lunatic, it's also possible Liao is just really really fucking bad at NOT turning everything she touches into a killer robot.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    On the one hand, every support has a gun. She can have lazers and still be a support. On the other hand,
    Seems like she must be a support given that she was created to help the world

That's why Tony Stark made Ultron and look how that turned out!

But yeah she's mos def a support. Or the weirdest tank I've ever seen - but she's not a DPS, I reckon.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Haha she's still got such a fat ass like in the cinematic, Jeff blesses the artist patreons in this time of crisis

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    all characters are dps, some are just more dps than others.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Sigh...

Edit: Also. Tim? C'mon, man. Show us ML7 puttin' her through her paces.

Chance on
  • Options
    They did the same thing with Sigma, and I assume there will still be a developer update.

• Options
    I mean ml7 will be streaming her soon enough. But Tim's a big name streamer these days and will get a lot of people watching who aren't necessarily keeping track of OW news. ML7 is great and all but all of his viewers are gonna be hardcore into Overwatch anyway.

• Options
    I completely get why they'd go with someone like Tim, but it's just kind of a bummer because he basically never plays anymore and when he does, all he does is complain. That's true of a lot of folks who still stream the game of course, but boy is it exhausting. I'm sure Tim will be on his best behavior in this case, but still

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Kana wrote: »
    I mean ml7 will be streaming her soon enough. But Tim's a big name streamer these days and will get a lot of people watching who aren't necessarily keeping track of OW news. ML7 is great and all but all of his viewers are gonna be hardcore into Overwatch anyway.

K opening the game up to a wider audience is, yeah, a good notion but
    it's just kind of a bummer because he basically never plays anymore and when he does, all he does is complain. That's true of a lot of folks who still stream the game of course, but boy is it exhausting. I'm sure Tim will be on his best behavior in this case, but still

And he just like stopped playing for almost a year or somethin'. He screams so much he's like one step up from Chipsa for me.

...I do like that he tends to have a sense of humor about his screw-ups, though. Like Emongg in that regard.

Chance on