As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    ....so can anyone explain the new Wyvernblast on Light Bowguns?

Sometimes the mine detonates for 50-ish damage, and sometimes it detonates for a lot more.

They call it a "counter" in the help tips, am I supposed to use it like one?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Sometimes the mine detonates for 50-ish damage, and sometimes it detonates for a lot more.

yes, shoot it out at a charging monster and it will do like 400-500

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Hunting in Hoarfrost is such a visual pleasure.

Gunlance is like really good now.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Okay, cool. What's the timing on that like? Just shoot it at them or do I have to make it detonate on them?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Okay, cool. What's the timing on that like? Just shoot it at them or do I have to make it detonate on them?

I've shot it at a charging Banbaro. Seems it doesn't really matter if it hits directly, or it lands on the ground and they run into it. That said, it seems hit or miss on whether it stops the charge. I've had them flinch and stop, and I've had them keep on chargin' and knock my ass down because there's no chance to dodge now.

Speaking of light bowguns, I think I'm in love with this rapid fire Pierce 2 bowgun.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I've shot it at a charging Banbaro. Seems it doesn't really matter if it hits directly, or it lands on the ground and they run into it. That said, it seems hit or miss on whether it stops the charge. I've had them flinch and stop, and I've had them keep on chargin' and knock my ass down because there's no chance to dodge now.

Speaking of light bowguns, I think I'm in love with this rapid fire Pierce 2 bowgun.

I'm pretty certain that whether it'll stop the charge or not is simply down to whether it triggers a flinch - which will follow all the usual mechanics for damage thresholds on the body bit it hits.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So for those that don’t know, Tailraider mounts not only will get the tracks and to the hunt quicker but you can use items while riding.

Quaff that drink and sharpen that stone while chasing is soooo good.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Oh. I just saw an image of what they did to the Brach dual swords design.

Oh no.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Oh. I just saw an image of what they did to the Brach dual swords design.

Oh no.

Your palico gets the glav GS and hunters dont is just salt in the wound tbh

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the decisions made about weapon visual design in monster hunter world is easily the biggest disappointment in the game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Shame that the game isn't living up to how the playerbase always talked about the weapons looking in past entries

Makes one wonder how far along Iceborne was in terms of planning when the original game launched, and if implementation of wilder weapon designs (or a better layered armor system) just couldn't fit into the docket for some reason

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    eh, honestly though if you think the model is bad, at least on PC, you can mod in a different version.

but on the list of things I pay attention to, what my weapon looks like is towards the bottom of the list, especially when I am in a fight.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I'm back! Woo!

Thanks for the hunts last night guys!

I'm still working on getting my sea legs. I've completely forgotten how to charge blade, but I'm feeling good about my Gunlance skills again. I was surprised that my old HR GL set still did just fine against the starting MR stuff. The only piece I've upgraded so far is my helm (which was a Barroth alpha. I upgraded to a Barroth beta+ :P)

My daughter wanted to see the Glaive, which I didn't really give a chance to before, and found myself enjoying it so much I built the Dodogana(sp?) one from parts I had left over and tried it out against MR Great Jagras and found myself having a pretty good time!

Ok Fire Emblem, thanks so much for the good times, but I think it's time to put you down for a bit...

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Nice hunts last night!

Highlights:

Abusing on Nightshade Lumu with the CB:

Getting to use Gunlance to its full potential against a poor Tobi:

I forgot who was using the LBG last night, but did your shots proc the additional explosions from the GL's "thing" that attaches to the monster?

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Sleepy balloon wasn't so bad for me, though I had a hell of a time getting the thing to land at all ever.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    ironwall/expert jewel

yeyeyeye

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Sleepy balloon wasn't so bad for me, though I had a hell of a time getting the thing to land at all ever.

It's a giant target of weakpoint while airborne though for stuff that can reach it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    is the barroth hammer better than diablos now

rank 10 has higher raw and affinity, similar sharpness and two slots instead of one

wtf

• Options
    From what I used the CB last night, I see the meta has definitely changed. It used to be that affinity wasn't such a big deal, since you were doing most of your damage through the SAED blast, but now with the multiple hits in the charged axe mode, I can definitely see focusing on damage from that instead, so it's back to slotting weakness exploit + expert in CB builds, and trying to fit power prolonger, focus, guard, offensive guard in there too :P

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Nice hunts last night!

Highlights:

Abusing on Nightshade Lumu with the CB:

Highlight of that first clip is you launching me into the air at around 13 seconds, and then me using the new glaive downward spike RIGHT on his dang 'ol head

Great hunts, gang!

• Options
    the buffed stun on hammer is fuckin wild

getting KOs all the fuck over now

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i wish this game had cross save.

the xbox population for mhw got so dire i stopped playing, i can't imagine iceborne is any better. it's such a bummer, i wish this shit didn't suck.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »

I beg your pardon

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

I managed 4 mounts on a single 2-player fight, I think they might have toned down the absolute nerfs on status effects they did in MHW.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i wish this game had cross save.

the xbox population for mhw got so dire i stopped playing, i can't imagine iceborne is any better. it's such a bummer, i wish this shit didn't suck.

I'd like to help...but a couple things are holding me back:

1) my Xbone hunter is currently only HR9
    2) I'm spreading myself pretty thin as it is with my PS4 hunter and just now starting to play Gears of War 4 (to get ready for Gears 5)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    is the barroth hammer better than diablos now

rank 10 has higher raw and affinity, similar sharpness and two slots instead of one

wtf

I'd recommend the Banbaros hammer. You get the parts early, it's off the Kulu Ya Ku tree, and it's all the stupid high damage without the negative affinity.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So I'll be honest, I was planning on skipping iceborne. After 200 hours in world I felt like I had enough. But then they went and added in entire second trophy list with a new platinum. So I guess in addition to borderlands 3 I am getting this. Someone want to toss me a link to the major changes? Anything general is nice and I pretty much just okay long sword and I can find that in my own I think.

I have to say them bringing back the crown trophies is a real dick move though. Literally no one has fun doing those even with the events.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    If I had a Master Rank set could I go back and whoop on Behemoth with it?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Hammer changes are nice. The brutal moose hammer is good for raw early on and you can slap a free element on for a quick and dirty ice hammer. Jay Leno's r10 hammer is good for fire. But nothing beats doing a level 3 power charge, firing off a shotgun blast, doing your slam and then yo-yo spinning into the monster to soften its head to mush

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    If I had a Master Rank set could I go back and whoop on Behemoth with it?

Definitely, specially if fully upgraded. Better yet if you have a mid-tier set at the least (Think Tigrex/Glavenus).

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    At the very least, there's no more FF music playing in Astera if you still have the quest.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Has anyone talked about the limited event where if you complete it you get a macaque... for a helm?!

k8pznr56fvnj.jpg

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    So I'll be honest, I was planning on skipping iceborne. After 200 hours in world I felt like I had enough. But then they went and added in entire second trophy list with a new platinum. So I guess in addition to borderlands 3 I am getting this. Someone want to toss me a link to the major changes? Anything general is nice and I pretty much just okay long sword and I can find that in my own I think.

I have to say them bringing back the crown trophies is a real dick move though. Literally no one has fun doing those even with the events.

Biggest would be clutch claw attacks (L2+circle weapon drawn or not) and a few new moves for the every weapon. Extra note for HH used for heavy impact/ground effects, long sword quick sheath to attack/counter, etc sort of stuff.

Scaling for 2 players (but not 3) added. That sort of stuff. Don't have a list handy though.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Also, QoL change:

Dropped items now have a more pronounced sparkle-effect. It's not as prominent as the PC mod, but it is MUCH easier to spot pieces of monster-candy.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

Biggest would be clutch claw attacks (L2+circle weapon drawn or not) and a few new moves for the every weapon. Extra note for HH used for heavy impact/ground effects, long sword quick sheath to attack/counter, etc sort of stuff.

Scaling for 2 players (but not 3) added. That sort of stuff. Don't have a list handy though.

I'd recommend just putting "[weapon name] iceborne" on Youtube, and you'll see videos by Arekkz Gaming. They're short and concise, so great for knowing what are the changes to each weapon you use. As for how to use the clutch claw, once you start Iceborne, about 2 or 3 quests in, the chief guy will give you a 1-Star optional quest that is a clutch claw tutorial. It's actually really well done and shows you how to exactly use it, so go for that.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I had to jump through a couple of hoops to get my PS4 going and downloading Iceborn but it's happening now.

Gonna do my nails or something while I wait.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Also, in true Japanese gaming style, Capcom has decided to continue the tradition in fighting games where you can have a fish as a weapon.

go6yuafddx62.jpg

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I think every version of MH has had a fish weapon.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I think every version of MH has had a fish weapon.

Usually several. GU has at least 2 (Sharqbite lance and big frozen fish GS).

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Sub leaders for the squad!

Best expansion ever.

Seidkona on