As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Cog wrote: »
    There used to be a "Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition". It was a clearly discrete product, which is no longer sold. Everything is just "Minecraft" now. That physical copy should be fine.

You can play cross platform, yes. I do it with my daughter. You have to link your Microsoft and Nintendo accounts. It's slightly confusing but not terribly difficult.

I'm confused by the phrase "I'm leaning toward the physical so that he can take it over to his friend's place"

Would he not just take the entire switch if you bought the digital download copy? Just taking the cartridge would mean he'd have to use his friend's switch, where he wouldn't be signed in to his Nintendo account, and potentially have to go through signing in and linking accounts once he got there. It seems like the simplest solution would be to buy the digital download and have him take his switch over there. Join to wifi or dock it on his friend's dock, and commence gaming.

Since I have 2 kids and only 1 switch, i was thinking it would be better if he could just take the cartridge instead of the whole switch but that's a good point about the MS account thing. I guess I'll probably just get the digital version. At least I'll get some Nintendo coins that way

EDIT: And I think this is the version that was discontinued: https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games/detail/minecraft-nintendo-switch-edition-digital-version/

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Well, I'm bummed about Scarlet Saga Grace Ambitions. I had high hopes but after 5+ hours I've bounced off. I love everything 8-4 localizes and was sold on their gushing about it... but other than the slight spin on JRPG combat, it has no hooks in me. Instead... I finally caved and bought FFXII. God I love this game. Maybe this time I'll get through Mateus!

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    If you buy the Starlink physical starter edition, can you buy additional ships digitally, and how does that work, having the base ship connected to your controller, but you want to swap over to a digital ship? The low low price is tempting me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    This Starlink thing is like.... Starfox + amiibo?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Figgy wrote: »
    Not really Stardew Valley at all in that you're not really crafting or building a world so much as unlocking areas.

It's definitely golf, but old school and arcadey with light RPG elements. Sometimes you're playing an actual course, sometimes you're just dropping your ball to hit an objective in the world.

For example, one quest has you wandering a course and teeing off to hit turtles in water hazards.

All this Golf Story talk reminded me of my favorite achievement in the game.

At one point, you find yourself at an "old school" club where the members prefer outdated clubs and other gear, which they force you to use on their horrible course riddled with water. As the club's big tournament is getting into gear, local pro and all-around asshole Max Yards (yes, really) brags that he's going to crush this.

My response, first time through?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    This Starlink thing is like.... Starfox + amiibo?

I think it's a bit more like Skylanders in a space game, with a tiny bit of Starfox thrown in at the end.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    If you have any interest in Turn Based Strategy games, i can fully recommend Wargroove (https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wargroove-switch/) it's not on sale right now but it has been in the past.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    The biggest question I'm trying to answer for myself right now is if I blow a sizable chunk of my balance on Fire Emblem.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I wish Link's Awakening was 20$ cheaper this Xmas...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    If you buy the Starlink physical starter edition, can you buy additional ships digitally, and how does that work, having the base ship connected to your controller, but you want to swap over to a digital ship? The low low price is tempting me.

So if you buy physical, you can play digitally. Once you physically connect the ship(s) and weapon(s) and pilot(s) to your controller in a game, they "register" for a week or so. You can then drop out of the game, take off the Starlink controller piece, and play with a regular joycon/pro in digital mode, and swap things out in the menu system, rather than physically. This is also where you swap out items you've purchased digitally.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    67% off, 26 bucks for digital Starlink Deluxe edition, which I think comes with everything.

It looks like there's a second DLC pack that isn't included in the Deluxe edition, and costs $49.99 $19.99 at the moment.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, my wife got a Switch Lite recently as an early gift, and we're still futzing around with certain aspects.

Like there's this "primary" console thing. We both have the original as our respective primary, but is there any benefit to making hers the Lite? Any detriments?

As it is, she can still use her account there and download the games she's purchased and her cloud save data, so is it better to just leave well enough alone?

Primary console can do everything without needing to be online. If you ever plan on taking the Lite on a trip out of range of wireless, you might want it to be somebody's primary.

Any account on a Switch can play all of the primary's software without needing to be online.

Also important to note: if the Primary comes online while the Secondary is playing a game, the Secondary suspends no matter what they're doing. I've started to put my Switch (Primary) in airplane mode at home so my kid can keep playing Fortnite on his (Secondary). I'm not even playing Fortnite, I'm playing DQ11 or Scarlet SaGa.

This sounds like we're getting fucked somehow, no matter what.

Wait, when you say "if the Primary comes online while the Secondary is playing a game, the Secondary suspends no matter what they're doing," is that the same account?

I thought that each account had a primary console, is that not the case? Or if I stick to my account and she sticks to hers (if it's on the Lite), will we be fine?

On the same account. If he plays a demo or something on his profile, it's fine. The problem is he's brand new to the switch and has no games so he uses my profile.
    Or the other thing that people are doing is, identify the Switch that is played the most and is also most often within wifi range (probably a docked Switch). Make that Switch everybody's secondary. The fact that it's in wifi range means it can always succeed at the online check for verification. The fact that it's played the most means the other Switch (as the primary that can interrupt it) will interfere with its operation less often.

You could just keep the Lite primary and disconnected from the internet/airplane mode by default, and only go on when necessary. Then both Switches would be able to do anything they like almost all the time.

Okay, I think I get it, more or less.

Out of curiosity, is any other console a pain like this, or is this uniquely Nintendo?

Oh, and can you switch which is the primary as you please, or is this one of those things where you're allowed one per year or something?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    So, my wife got a Switch Lite recently as an early gift, and we're still futzing around with certain aspects.

Like there's this "primary" console thing. We both have the original as our respective primary, but is there any benefit to making hers the Lite? Any detriments?

As it is, she can still use her account there and download the games she's purchased and her cloud save data, so is it better to just leave well enough alone?

Primary console can do everything without needing to be online. If you ever plan on taking the Lite on a trip out of range of wireless, you might want it to be somebody's primary.

Any account on a Switch can play all of the primary's software without needing to be online.

Also important to note: if the Primary comes online while the Secondary is playing a game, the Secondary suspends no matter what they're doing. I've started to put my Switch (Primary) in airplane mode at home so my kid can keep playing Fortnite on his (Secondary). I'm not even playing Fortnite, I'm playing DQ11 or Scarlet SaGa.

Wait, when you say "if the Primary comes online while the Secondary is playing a game, the Secondary suspends no matter what they're doing," is that the same account?

I thought that each account had a primary console, is that not the case? Or if I stick to my account and she sticks to hers (if it's on the Lite), will we be fine?

On the same account. If he plays a demo or something on his profile, it's fine. The problem is he's brand new to the switch and has no games so he uses my profile.
    Or the other thing that people are doing is, identify the Switch that is played the most and is also most often within wifi range (probably a docked Switch). Make that Switch everybody's secondary. The fact that it's in wifi range means it can always succeed at the online check for verification. The fact that it's played the most means the other Switch (as the primary that can interrupt it) will interfere with its operation less often.

You could just keep the Lite primary and disconnected from the internet/airplane mode by default, and only go on when necessary. Then both Switches would be able to do anything they like almost all the time.

Out of curiosity, is any other console a pain like this, or is this uniquely Nintendo?

Oh, and can you switch which is the primary as you please, or is this one of those things where you're allowed one per year or something?

XBOX1 and PS4 are similar, in one console being the "main", and the others can access games if online, but can't if main is using them, etc. It's all a mess no matter which console you're using.

As far as I'm aware, there's no restrictions on how many times you can change the primary Switch console.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

XBOX1 and PS4 are similar, in one console being the "main", and the others can access games if online, but can't if main is using them, etc. It's all a mess no matter which console you're using.

As far as I'm aware, there's no restrictions on how many times you can change the primary Switch console.

Pretty sure people have played multiplayer games with two consoles and one copy of the game on both PS4 and Xbox.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Pretty sure people have played multiplayer games with two consoles and one copy of the game on both PS4 and Xbox.

It shouldn't "officially" work that way. They may have found a way to bypass the security though.

edit: Maybe XBox handles different user profiles differently. Found a reddit thread about it. Sounds similar to Switch's thing though.

edit2: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-switch-reportedly-game-share-two-consoles-same-time/

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah this kind of "sharing" is primarily oriented towards one person being able to access their digital library from any device. Not related people playing the same digital library on separate devices, although there's often enough loopholes to sort of do that.

Actual family accounts would be nice but the industry seems uninterested.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Couldn't help myself, had to post this in the Battletech thread even though it has nothing to do with it.

XGl0Rl5.jpg

Had to get it for the collection.

Further Sale gets:

Katamari Reroll ($17)
    Another World ($4)
    Into the Breach ($8)

On the fence:

Hotline Miami Collection
    Baulder's Gate Collection
    Golf Story
    Axiom Verge
    Civ 6

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Gamestop was having a sale and i managed to grab Vampyre.

I only watched the Trailer i hope it's good i want to be a Vampire.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Yeah this kind of "sharing" is primarily oriented towards one person being able to access their digital library from any device. Not related people playing the same digital library on separate devices, although there's often enough loopholes to sort of do that.

I may be missing something, but why would the industry ever want to do this?

Is it not still true that they make more money from software than the hardware? Even if not by margins alone, certainly by quantity. They have very little incentive to allow you to play the same digital game across multiple consoles. I get that it would be nice to not have to buy two of a game for two different people to play it on two different consoles... but duh?

Again, I may be missing a nuance here.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options

Is it not still true that they make more money from software than the hardware? Even if not by margins alone, certainly by quantity. They have very little incentive to allow you to play the same digital game across multiple consoles. I get that it would be nice to not have to buy two of a game for two different people to play it on two different consoles... but duh?

I think it's just a family thing, going back to having a cartridge you could hand off to sibling or child.

Digital makes things much more difficult though, and from what I've been reading, it is possible to pretty much only have to buy things once now.

I know Steam has family sharing, but I think that still doesn't allow you to play it in two locations at the same time.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Picked up Golf Story since it was on sale. Not sure when I'll dive into it, but happy to have it at a discount earlier than I expected.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Yeah if I buy a game physically then I am able to let my kid play it on their Switch when I am not. Why shouldn't I be able to do that with a digital game?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Apple also lets you fully share bought apps with the family's devices. Although that doesn't apply to in-app MTX which is 95% of mobile game revenue, but I think you can get apple arcade for everyone for just $5/month. Steam's family sharing isn't much more than what every console maker already allows though, which is that multiple profiles generally can access the same purchases on one device. It again gets messy in Steam if you try to play with multiple people on multiple devices.

I don't think there's huge incentive for Sony/MS to go for these since its not too common to have multiple of the same TV console active in a house, and just opens up more loopholes for remote abuse. But it is becoming an issue with the Switch when houses transition from one-per-household (like a home console) to one-per-person (like the Switch lite), which was one of Nintendo's stated goals. Of course the point of that transition is to sell more software copies, but at the minumum I'd have liked something like a one-time transfer of games to another profile so the new Switch owner can take "their" games with them. Better would be allowing a few profiles to play different digital games at the same time. Making the initial experience shit isn't the best way to convince people to buy more devices or to keep playing them so that they buy more software, and making it crap compared to the relative ease of lending a cart within the house may end up pushing buyers away from those digital margins.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I guess I played WAY more hours (and games ... huh? 19? doesn't feel that way) than I thought:
    832slizoo4aj.jpg
    ... Also, the September 0 reminds me of that event which happened ...
    tepxsscrccya.jpg

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    That's one of the advantages of digital for Nintendo/etc. They would rather you go full digital where they don't pay for physical distribution, you can't easily share/lend the game, and.you can't resell it.

Everyone thought the 2-game voucher program was some kind of promotion. Nintendo was driving digital installs up alongside the release of the lite console.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    And the consumer unfriendliness grows.

It really surprises me that digital has gotten as popular as it has, considering all the drawbacks: No resale, no savings vs retail, no (or little) sharing...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I would gladly pay 50 or 60 for the family plan if it allowed me to share games across a family group like Goggle Play does. So I suppose that's potential money for them.

If that library could be shared I think we'd probably buy more Switch games instead of Xbox (my son and I can more easily share on that system), we'd buy a third console for my wife and we'd go all digital which I assume has a higher profit margin.

It would be great to really solidify it as a family friendly console but I'm not sure I see that happening anytime soon.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Just to correct some wrong information in here, Xbox game sharing is 100% superior.

Here's how it works. Bill and Ted each have an Xbox. Bill goes into system settings and marks his Xbox as Ted's primary, likewise Ted selects that his Xbox is Bill's primary console. Now Bill purchases a digital copy of any game. Ted can instantly download that game for free at his home too AND they can play it at the same time from their own units, including online with each other. This works vice versa when Ted buys digital games too.

Even better, only one of Bill or Ted need to pay for an active Xbox Live sub. Even Gamepass is shared.

Final note, MS is fully aware this is a thing and have stated in interviews that they have no plans to change the system to not work this way, they consider it a perk.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Microsoft has been the best company for consumers this generation. Between the game shares, BC, and buying a game on XB1 giving you access on the PC. It's really cool of them.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I mean, you're comparing a console that's strictly a home console to one that can be made portable. Nintendo has to take extra precautions, especially since they've been burned by stuff like that in the past.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I mean, you're comparing a console that's strictly a home console to one that can be made portable. Nintendo has to take extra precautions, especially since they've been burned by stuff like that in the past.

Yeah, they'd be burned by two friends in different houses, on different devices, buying games and services only once. That's half their revenue out the window. Which is precisely what MS is cool with.

Like you can't come up with a worse scenario for the platform manufacturer than the one MS embraces, and being portable doesn't really change anything.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And the consumer unfriendliness grows.

It really surprises me that digital has gotten as popular as it has, considering all the drawbacks: No resale, no savings vs retail, no (or little) sharing...

Well I never resell, usually get savings vs retail and don't share anyway. Digital is 100% better for me. Not to a ton of people, agreed, but it is for me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Other benefits: Not buying more over-packaged plastic trinkets, not having to keep track of the carts, not having to get off the couch to change games.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I’m 100% digital for all the above reasons. Plus, the wife gives me shit for my existing DVD and game collection taking up space. So adding more cases to the mix for virtually no reason would drive her bonkers.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Ahahaha so I bought Another World (Out of This World originally in NA) because my dad and I played it together back in.. ohh say 92 or 93 when I was 5. It's one of the only video games he's ever played. I turn the game on.. show it to him and say, know what this is? Literally before the elevator opened and the main character walked out my dad said "basaloahvuh" which is a sort of jibberish thing the alien buddy says in the game.

I literally bought the game just to do that and it was so, so worth it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    Other benefits: Not buying more over-packaged plastic trinkets, not having to keep track of the carts, not having to get off the couch to change games.

I LOVE OVERPRICED PLASTIC TRINKETS

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I have digital for a very simple reason:

I can play Pokemon or Animal Crossing whenever I want. Not in the mood? Switch to my JRPG du jour. Spontaneously hanging out with friends? I have Mario Kart and Smash right there. I don't have to worry about carrying cartridges. I don't have to worry about switching cartridges. It's just all there. Also, I hate plastic trinkets and cases and stuff, hate going to the store to buy stuff, hate having to worry about shipping, etc.

I'm a single person who doesn't share a ton of games with people though so I am not a universal use case and I respect that. Like, I'd love to pass along Xenoblade 2 or DQXI to a friend, but most of my friends aren't actually interested in playing it, and even back in the Gamecube/ Switch days I didn't do a lot of game sharing. For what I am looking for, digital is perfect, the downsides don't matter to me, and I can't imagine going back.
    Ahahaha so I bought Another World (Out of This World originally in NA) because my dad and I played it together back in.. ohh say 92 or 93 when I was 5. It's one of the only video games he's ever played. I turn the game on.. show it to him and say, know what this is? Literally before the elevator opened and the main character walked out my dad said "basaloahvuh" which is a sort of jibberish thing the alien buddy says in the game.

I literally bought the game just to do that and it was so, so worth it.

I played this back when it came out on WiiU! Cool game. Definitely a product of its time though.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    If it weren't for indie games not being on cartridge, I wouldn't have anything digital. As an old timer, I find that for them not needing to produce/ship anything, makes no sense for the price to be the same. I appreciate the digital sales but it still does not compute in my head.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I have a mix depending on expected use, expected sharing with my wife (and eventually daughter, although she's only 18 months at the moment), and whether or not it comes with a banging collector's edition like Xenoblade 2 and Octopath.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I don’t share games, I don’t resell games, and I’m not a fan of taking up space with game cases. Plus the regular digital sales tend to be better than what I find locally in stores. Also the majority of random stuff I ever got in CEs hasn’t exactly been display quality.

I don’t see a reason to buy physical anymore.

-Loki- on