As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Added Official Virtual F1 to OP, and updated Hot Laps information and made a couple of other very minor tweaks.

• Options
    Quoting for BOTP'd:
    Jazz wrote: »
    Virtual Bahrain GP updates.

Bad news:
    Update: F1 race drivers who will not take part

Sebastian Vettel
    Charles Leclerc
    Max Verstappen
    Alexander Albon
    Daniel Ricciardo
    Esteban Ocon
    Romain Grosjean
    Kevin Magnussen
    Daniil Kvyat
    Pierre Gasly
    Sergio Perez
    Lance Stroll

So, basically, not Ferrari, Red Bull, Renault, Haas, AlphaTauri or Racing Point drivers.

Verstappen:
    “I don’t play that game and I would have to adapt to it,” said Verstappen. “That would take a few days, and that doesn’t make much sense as I’m busy with other things, other games. I would have to switch too much, and that doesn’t work.”

“I would be running around the back, and I don’t enjoy that,” he added.

Good news:
    Drivers confirmed for Virtual Bahrain Grand Prix

(Excuse the shit formatting, middle column is driver numbers which is why most are TBC)

Mercedes TBC Stoffel Vandoorne
    Mercedes TBC Esteban Gutierrez
    Ferrari TBC Robert Shwartzman
    Ferrari TBC Dino Beganovic
    Red Bull TBC Philip Eng
    Red Bull TBC Chris Hoy
    McLaren TBC TBC
    McLaren TBC TBC
    Renault TBC Guanyu Zhou
    Renault TBC Ian Poulter
    Alpha Tauri TBC TBC
    Alpha Tauri TBC TBC
    Racing Point TBC Jimmy Broadbent
    Racing Point TBC TBC
    Alfa Romeo TBC TBC
    Alfa Romeo TBC TBC
    Haas TBC TBC
    Haas TBC TBC
    Williams 6 Nicholas Latifi
    Williams TBC TBC

Nico Hulkenberg, Anthony Davidson and Johnny Herbert will also participate, but the teams they will drive for have not yet been confirmed.

So you Jimmy Broadbent fans can get excited now! And good old Chris Hoy, top bloke.

Woohoo Hulkenberg, Ant Davidson, holy shit, Johnny Herbert! Absolute legend! Awesome! I'm now officially a bit stoked. :)

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Niiice.

Noticing Gabe's wallpaper on his desktop, too. :+1:

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I may have sent a reply indicating we have a competition going on over here. Not expecting a reply, but you know... Why not.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I may have sent a reply indicating we have a competition going on over here. Not expecting a reply, but you know... Why not.

I noticed it in the replies :+1: Worth a try!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    If F1 needs another driver, I'm not doing anything else later today...

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Now that this has been my "sim-drive all the things" weekend marathon, I decided to give the Automobilista 2 Beta a spin. Formula Vee's are as fun to drive as always, given that you get used to the idea of not going exactly the same way you're pointing on a regular basis. Haven't tried the weather system just yet, but hopefully it's nice.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Veloce Esports (who hosted NotTheAusGP last weekend) are also hosting a NotTheBahGP today at 6pm GMT, two hours before the official Virtual Bahrain GP. Lando Norris, Stoffel Vandoorne, and Nicholas Latifi are confirmed for that so far.

• Options
    I expect to see Lando's name as part of every virtual race for next couple months. If he's not in the virtual NASCAR series I will be disappointed.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Veevee wrote: »
    I expect to see Lando's name as part of every virtual race for next couple months. If he's not in the virtual NASCAR series I will be disappointed.

Seems odd that he's not confirmed for the Virtual Bahrain GP yet: https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/20/every-f1-driver-invited-to-virtual-bahrain-grand-prix-but-who-will-enter/

Jazz on
  • Options
    I say that, and the list of all drivers is published.

Mercedes TBC Stoffel Vandoorne
    Mercedes TBC Esteban Gutierrez
    Ferrari TBC Robert Shwartzman
    Ferrari TBC Dino Beganovic
    Red Bull TBC Philip Eng
    Red Bull TBC Chris Hoy
    McLaren TBC Lando Norris
    McLaren TBC Nicolas Hamilton
    Renault TBC Guanyu Zhou
    Renault TBC Ian Poulter
    Alpha Tauri TBC Matthew Trivett
    Alpha Tauri TBC Luca Salvadori
    Racing Point TBC Nico Hulkenberg
    Racing Point TBC Jimmy Broadbent
    Alfa Romeo TBC Johnny Herbert
    Alfa Romeo TBC ‘Cyanide’
    Haas TBC Anthony Davidson
    Haas TBC ‘Redeye’
    Williams 6 Nicholas Latifi
    Williams TBC Liam Payne

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Apparently there was a series of rFactor 2 races at Indy Road Course yesterday with a good mix of racers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a_RV5UY8mk

Max Verstappen
    Neel Jani
    Nico Hulkenberg
    Nicki Thiim
    Ed Jones
    Antonio Felix Da Costa
    Juan Pablo Montoya
    Sebas Montoya
    Philip Eng
    Charlie Eastwood
    Maximilian Günther
    Harry Tincknell
    Johnny Adam
    Ross Gunn
    Nelson Piquet Jnr
    Dani Juncadella
    Jann Mardenborough
    Nick Cassidy
    Wolfgang Reip
    Rudy Van Buren
    James Baldwin
    Jimmy Broadbent
    Steve Alvarez Brown
    Dries Vanthoor
    Abbie Eaton
    James Davison
    Callum Ilot
    Felix Rosenqvist
    Tony Kanaan
    Paul O'Neil
    Devlin De Francesco
    Lachlan De Francesco
    Tom Dillmann
    Bradley Smith
    Adam Christodoulou
    Juan Manuel Correra

Sim racers confirmed:
    Aurélien Mallet
    Bono Huis
    Brendon Leigh
    Erhan Jajovski
    Jernej Simoncic
    Kamil Pawłowski
    Kevin Siggy
    Lucas Blakely
    Mitchell de Jong
    Sebastian Job

Comms: Jack Nicholls and Jolyon Palmer

Veevee on
  • Options
    Abbie Eaton, hells yeah!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Lando's stream, if you're interested in that kind of thing

Or Stoffel Vandorne

Or Louis Delatraz

Veevee on
  • Options
    Somebody tell that race director that T13 has received sustained abuse of track limits. :lol:

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Man, Drovek, you are speedy on that track. I got myself down to 1:25.613, and really got the 3/4 turns down finally (though am braking a little early). Need to carry speed better in the 11/12 combo as well.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYsySLIMOGA

They're sitting too close together grrrrrrr

Jazz on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Nascar did an iracing thing and it was....fine? They had the Fox commentators and stuff and basically treated it like a regular race, and Alex Bowman's dog drove the caution laps when he went to the bathroom (probably not really but he was joking about having his dog do it)

First time in a while that the stands were full, I guess that's a plus. :P

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I finally finished Drive to Survive 2. Best line of the whole season? Raikonnen at the very end "Well, this is basically just a hobby for me, I don't need to do that" with a deadpan look at the camera.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Someone built an F1 car using the rarest materials available:
    zdOKeky.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Hahaha, Lando just called Carlos Sainz Jr., and Carlos had no idea who he was. Amazing.

Edit: And now George Russel is telling him to dive bomb turn 1 to win from the back.

Edit2: And now his game crashed. hahaha, oh man.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Ok, this second race just became much more entertaining than the previous one.

Edit: So turns out F1 is awesome if the cars are competitive and can overtake. :lol

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I wonder what difficulty they have the AI controlled cars at, and also wonder how much shit Lando will get for this race.

• Options
    Latifi on Salvadori, Gutierrez on Hulkenberg.

Fucking awesome fights.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    The first corner crashes were kinda bad, but there were some great fights in there in the end.

• Options
    Hulkenberg with an excellent pre-race interview as well.

Thoroughly good entertainment. :+1:

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    That was pretty fun (past the turn 1 carnage).

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    The first corner crashes were kinda bad, but there were some great fights in there in the end.

"Johnny Herbert on the lead!!!" is one hell of a T1.
    To bad about the track cutting, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    So... anyone for some F1 2019?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The race is won at turn 1 :lol:

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'd love to but I'm bloody exhausted after a long day. How are the next few days looking for you (and anyone else interested)?

• Options

I'd love to but I'm bloody exhausted after a long day. How are the next few days looking for you (and anyone else interested)?

Tuesday/Thursday I am available for a race pretty much whenever, MWF after 7pm GMT

• Options

So, I was thinking of taking a day or two off this week to look after the kiddo. She does however have a pretty lengthy nap in the afternoons, from 1-2:30 CST. Just ping me on here if y'all are doing a race.

• Options
    I had a little more of a prod around and Gabe has got heavily into motor racing in a very, very short span of time (something like the last couple of weeks, tops?). I've started watching the VOD on Twitch of him and Tycho with Motorsport Manager, embedded here: https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2020/03/14/motorsport-manager-

And a scant few minutes in I'm a) reminded of the original episodes of the DLC podcast that whiled away a few happy hours at work in the late '00s, and b) fascinated by seeing it all through the eyes of someone who's recently done a deep dive, and someone who knows almost nothing, but also with it being Mike & Jerry and the way they talk it's just... I may need to sit and digest this.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Man, Drovek, you are speedy on that track. I got myself down to 1:25.613, and really got the 3/4 turns down finally (though am braking a little early). Need to carry speed better in the 11/12 combo as well.

Well, my secret is that it's one of my favorite tracks and I've hotlapped around it more times than I can remember, at least sine F1 2013. I expect my performance to sharply drop off on most other tracks. :lol:

One final time for tonight. Would need to toy around more with the setup to try to get that to below 1:24, because it's borderline unstable in a couple of corners.

hc5w7z8yxngv.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The really impressive part of your screenshot there is not so much the time, although props, but mostly that you're consistently within a tenth of your previous times, lap after lap. Time consistency is so important.

I've been working on Brands Hatch in ACC and been working on that exact thing, when I started my times varied by a full second but now I've got the variance down to 3-4 tenths.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That F1 race from earlier is #3 trending on YouTube now. It’s pretty great! I hope they (FIA and the teams and drivers) take notice of how popular it could be to do this sort of thing during downtimes.

Also I’m hoping to get some track time in tomorrow. Gotta at least close the gap a bit.

• Options
    Annnnnndddd... Azerbaijan is postponed.

This discussion has been closed.