As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    There’s a nice bit of racing games on a new humble bundle. That’s on top of the F1 game on monthly.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I was thinking that if the whole season gets canned (which is possible) putting on one or two test sessions in the summer would be appropriate to replace the incremental testing you'd normally get.

I would expect testing to be doable with fewer risks or at least fewer people to reduce transmission risk, but that might not be possible

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Stoffel Vandoorne has also confirmed for #NotTheAusGP, as has Sacha Fenestraz (2019 Japanese F3 champion), Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid goalkeeper) and, of course, assorted esports people and Youtubers.

Could be a fun event! Race start is at 17:45 GMT (check your time zones as we haven't yet "sprung forward" our clocks).

Jazz on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    There's another one about 8-9 hours earlier, on rFactor 2 with Max Verstappen and a couple Indycar guys.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Ferrari have shut down both their F1 and road car factories for two weeks, as part of the wider lockdown in Italy.

Meanwhile, the FIA continues to hope that the season will start with the Dutch GP, but F1 is tentatively mooting Monaco instead. And "insiders" think it'll be neither, and might be Azerbaijan instead, perhaps with cramming in some dropped races into what's left of the season. (I guess the summer break may no longer be needed, so that seems possible for one or two races.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Former F1 racer Esteban Gutierrez has joined NotTheAusGP.

The full image is now also showing "In partnership with F1". This shit be getting semi-official!

Jazz on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    The real f1 drivers being there is cool and all but I'll be watching just for Jimmy Broadbent. Love watching Jimmer.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I continued "Drive to survive". The episodes about Mercedes (and Niki) and Red Bull. Absolutely fantastic. And I wasn't aware, that Christian Horner is married to a Spice Girl.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I continued "Drive to survive". The episodes about Mercedes (and Niki) and Red Bull. Absolutely fantastic. And I wasn't aware, that Christian Horner is married to a Spice Girl.

My favourite Spice Girl, at that. Lucky bastard :lol:

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’ve never really followed F1 at all beyond the Ayrton Senna documentary but I started Drive to Survive and I’m really getting into it.

I’m about halfway through the first season and there’s some things I don’t really understand. So many big changes seem to happen right in the middle of the season, unless I’m totally misunderstanding the timelines. Red Bull announces they’re going with Honda for their engines and it’s this big dramatic thing, but so they keep using the Renault engine for the rest of the season? Daniel Ricciardo announces he’s leaving for Renault and it’s this big dramatic thing, but does he keep driving for Red Bull for the rest of the Season? The Indian team gets put into administration and then the Williams guy buys them and his son is eventually going to drive, but what happens to Williams? Does this guy just own both teams for the rest of the season?

I feel like there’s a lot of F1 context I’m missing here.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    The real f1 drivers being there is cool and all but I'll be watching just for Jimmy Broadbent. Love watching Jimmer.

Ah, had no idea Jimmers was racing. If he's running his own stream that is likely how I'll time in.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, contracts for the year finish out, but the really big deal is because of context.

That was the big thing that changed for me. I could never get into watching racing. I enjoyed the highlights most times, and I love cars, but watching a full race was, well, boring.

But my friend, a huge F1 fan, got me to start watching them with him, and he took me through all the things that happen around the races. Once you get up to speed on all that, then you start to notice all the little things. Like, a single bad pit stop can have massive ramifications across the larger season. It's nuts.

Anyway, so Red Bull had been using Renault as an engine supplier for a long time, but Horner (Red Bull team principal) was complaining about them almost constantly, so it was the talk that they would make a change. McLaren were using Honda, and the engines were underperforming. Alonso famously said during a race that it felt like he was in a GP2 car. Even with DRS open, McLaren were being passed by almost everybody on the straights. So people were wondering if Honda could actually deliver a competitive engine (It's unlikely all of McLaren's woes were due to the engine, but Honda certainly was being looked at critically).

So amongst all of that, Red Bull announces they are dropping Renault and going with Honda. Huge fucking news.

Williams is owned by the Williams family, not Lawrence Stroll (Lance Stroll's father). However, Stroll is a billionaire and funded Williams (Lots of drivers bring funding to their teams, especially ones that aren't necessarily future world champions). When Force India went into administration, Lawrence bought it, renamed it Racing Point, and it was just assumed his son Lance would drive for them.

Which he has.

Williams is still independent.

• Options
    Six wrote: »
    I’ve never really followed F1 at all beyond the Ayrton Senna documentary but I started Drive to Survive and I’m really getting into it.

I’m about halfway through the first season and there’s some things I don’t really understand. So many big changes seem to happen right in the middle of the season, unless I’m totally misunderstanding the timelines. Red Bull announces they’re going with Honda for their engines and it’s this big dramatic thing, but so they keep using the Renault engine for the rest of the season? Daniel Ricciardo announces he’s leaving for Renault and it’s this big dramatic thing, but does he keep driving for Red Bull for the rest of the Season? The Indian team gets put into administration and then the Williams guy buys them and his son is eventually going to drive, but what happens to Williams? Does this guy just own both teams for the rest of the season?

I feel like there’s a lot of F1 context I’m missing here.

The so-called "Silly Season" you are referring to here is what happens in around August, when there's no actual racing happening. It's when a lot of contract negotiations happen for the next season so there's a lot of shuffling around of drivers and sponsors and so on. With the exception of some Red Bull driver moves, 99% of the time any changes will take place at the end of the current season.

This year was already going to be bonkers on that front as a huge number of drivers have contracts up at the end of the year so it's going to be open season come the summer.

Special note on the Stroll buyout of Racing Point/Force India, Stroll Sr was only a major sponsor of Williams, he didn't actually have any controlling stakes in running the team beyond very heavily weighted suggestions. However, he does end up effectively owning one team while sponsoring another for the rest of the year yes.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Just me or is that stream's FPS taking a dive? Looks fine over Jimmy's stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG15bPFkx-I

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Yeah, FPS issues, they're aware and trying to sort it.

• Options
    Esteban Gutierrez being overly aggressive against Jimmy in the beginning. :lol:

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Some really good racing in the end! Good battles all the way through, in the midfield at least, and the "director" did a fine job of keeping focused on the action.

I hope they do some more of those... and maybe that some more people I've heard of take part. (I'm not much of a Youtube follower, Tiametmarduk was literally the only one I was even vaguely familiar with outside of the F1 and ex-F1 drivers).

In other news, the McLaren team member who tested positive for the coronavirus is now symptom-free and recovering well.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I can't watch the vid at the moment, but can anyone confirm if youtuber SuperGT was present? Dude is a rocketship in sim racing and IRL karting

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I can't watch the vid at the moment, but can anyone confirm if youtuber SuperGT was present? Dude is a rocketship in sim racing and IRL karting

Yes he was.

• Options

He was in Toro Rosso with Jimmy Broadbent, and they were chatting in their respective streams while it was going on.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    The Isle of Man has cancelled this year's TT. Not a shock, really.

Also, in F1, a Pirelli team member has tested positive for the virus.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Lando Norris appears to have had a fun time at the Not the AusGP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0oSqJsh0DA

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    4xddrrs20541.jpg

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Oh man if F1 tosses some of the V10 era races up on Youtube to watch for free? That would be some A+ nostalgia. Or maybe some of the really crazy stuff like the six wheeled cars or the fan car.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If Marbula isn't enough, try some Die Cast Rally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3hEfwmzgDI

• Options
    My Formula 1 2019 racing experience feels like racing to the absolute limit of my abilities and hey also can you solve this rubix cube real quick and say the alphabet backwards to the tune of Mary Had A Little Lamb before the next corner.

How the hell do these drivers do it for real!? It feels insanely distracting but I understand it's essential to do right to win

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    My Formula 1 2019 racing experience feels like racing to the absolute limit of my abilities and hey also can you solve this rubix cube real quick and say the alphabet backwards to the tune of Mary Had A Little Lamb before the next corner.

How the hell do these drivers do it for real!? It feels insanely distracting but I understand it's essential to do right to win

I absolutely love the game but I came to realize no matter how much I practice I'm not gonna be racing with the big boys, even in Sim so I put the difficulty down to where I have a challenge but don't hate myself.

I still end up sweating at the end of a race weekend which doesn't happen with any other game.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

I absolutely love the game but I came to realize no matter how much I practice I'm not gonna be racing with the big boys, even in Sim so I put the difficulty down to where I have a challenge but don't hate myself.

I still end up sweating at the end of a race weekend which doesn't happen with any other game.

I like the difficulty of the racing, but I have no idea what the battery does and how I should stop using it because it's low, according to my race engineer. I'm sure there's a way that I can turn all those assists on that deals with energy management around the PU, and I just stick to the PU and pitting when they tell me to

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Here's something pretty stunning. As the Australian 'Supercars' racing series has been suspended until June, the entire sport - every team, every driver, will now be part of an eSports championship series on iRacing

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/supercars-eseries-championship-is-go-123394/
    Every team and every driver in the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship will partake in a new e-sports series raced in the virtual world.

The Australian Supercars Championship is on hold until June but the new Supercars eSeries season will kick off soon, broadcast on Kayo, Fox Sports pay TV and videogame streaming service Twitch.

Australian Supercars CEO, Sean Seamer: "So, between now and late June, Supercars will host, via Twitch, Fox Sports and Kayo, an eSeries Championship where fans will get to see our stars battle it out in a virtual world while we wait to go racing again for real."

Uhhhh that's pretty awesome

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A shame there isn't a super accurate sim for F1, or they could do the same.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

I like the difficulty of the racing, but I have no idea what the battery does and how I should stop using it because it's low, according to my race engineer. I'm sure there's a way that I can turn all those assists on that deals with energy management around the PU, and I just stick to the PU and pitting when they tell me to

Like everything, it's a balancing act.

You could, for example, deploy more power if you are chasing someone to get into DRS range. Or if your want to get away from someone in DRS range of you.

Going from memory, I think deployment is also tied to harvesting (which is a separate setting on the real cars), so lower deployment means more harvesting. This means you will slow more on off-throttle.

Harvesting is also increased when you lift and coast (which will also she you fuel), but it may cost you time. So it's better to do it on corners where is harder for someone to overtake you to prepare energy when you are more vulnerable.

There are also limits of how much you can harvest and deploy per lap.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Man, watching Schumacher out driving people in a Benatton would be awesome, lol. Remind people it wasn't just Ferrari having the best car for all those years.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    A shame there isn't a super accurate sim for F1, or they could do the same.

They had the... unreliable McLaren in iRacing. Which I think would be a rather sad option. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    How many of us on here have Assetto Corsa Competizone and F1 2019 on PC?

Wondering if anyone wants to do some evening races?

• Options
    I have F1 2019 PC. A few people in the G&T Steam thread who don't post in here have it since it was on Humble, too.

Evenings US time would be difficult for me now, but afternoons US time are do-able. Even the stupid virus can't affect time zones!

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    How many of us on here have Assetto Corsa Competizone and F1 2019 on PC?

Wondering if anyone wants to do some evening races?

Yes to both, and I agree with Jazz on the timezones. :p

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I have F1 2019 on steam, and have nothing to do so I am available at any time. Please hit me up for some racing. Edit: Maybe if we can get a regular thing going we can even do a full season or something

Also Forza 7, and... regular Assetto Corsa, not Competizone.

Veevee on
  • Options
    A full season would be amazing, but would definitely take some organizing. Especially, again, considering time zone issues.

This discussion has been closed.