As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

I guess he doesn't want to risk losing again to a man in a dolphin suit.

Appears Brexit party are still fielding candidates everywhere.

This from the man who rails on about 'unelected bureaucrats'.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    A reminder that he has stood to be an MP and failed, seven times.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    What an utter goose. It even made Dutch news. We are quite familiar with his character and that's not a meant as a compliment.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Government now promising to end benefits freeze. Fucking parasites.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    A 1.7% raise after a 5 year freeze (that was scheduled to end soon anyway). Doesn't come close to compensating for the cost of living increases in that time, not that the current levels have ever been close to adequate anyway.

• Options
    Yeah, that freeze was always meant to end next year. Trying to sell that as a "vote for us!" thing is disgusting.

About as disgusting as the freeze and benefit cuts themselves.

• Options
    Telegraph issues correction over Boris Johnson's false UK economy claim
    The Daily Telegraph has been forced to correct a column written by Boris Johnson, after he falsely claimed the UK is set to “become the largest and most prosperous economy in this hemisphere”.

The newspaper said that Johnson misrepresented long-term economic projections to give the impression that the British economy would overtake Germany “in our lifetimes” – despite no such data existing.

"Lying liar lies" shocker.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Daily Telegraph has been forced to correct a column written by Boris Johnson, after he falsely claimed the UK is set to “become the largest and most prosperous economy in this hemisphere”.

The newspaper said that Johnson misrepresented long-term economic projections to give the impression that the British economy would overtake Germany “in our lifetimes” – despite no such data existing.

The Prime Meridian technically bisects the UK, so he could pretend to have been meaning the other one.

moniker on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

The Prime Meridian technically bisects the UK, so he could pretend to have been meaning the other one.

The one with the US in it?

Ok yeah I can see the possibility

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Elldren wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

The one with the US in it?

Ok yeah I can see the possibility

Depends on how you measure it. Gross GDP? Nah. Any kind of per capita measure (ie, the ones that really matter)? I'd be surprised if it isn't damn close already.

Edit: just checked, and US 2017 GDP was 19.39 trillion (little better than half again China's) vs UK's 2.62 trillion (slightly ahead of India and half again Canada's). But per capita it was US 59,533.31 to UK 39,703.21. That's in US dollars, just for clarity. I'm honestly shocked by the gap.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Johnson has refused to listen to any calls for a Scottish Independence vote, so at least we can count on Scotland going full SNP.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Edit:wrong thread.

To say something on topic, surely nobody but his more ardent of supporters can believe Farage is not running so he concentrate on helping his party as a whole. The fact he lost 7 times, and most likely would lose again, shows what a gutless toad he is.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    What an utter goose. It even made Dutch news. We are quite familiar with his character and that's not a meant as a compliment.

Yes, he is quite well known all around. Here's the picture Yle, the Finnish public broadcast news, used in their reporting:

mkje89c.jpg

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    A minor note on NI politics, specifically the (largely irrelevant) UUP and the North Belfast constituency.

North Belfast is a fairly close seat demograpically, currently held by Nigel Dodds, and the DUP have spent years keeping it that way through every dirty trick they can think of (e.g. refusing new housing developments in nationalist areas because they'd swing the vote). Recently, the UUP got a new leader and one of the first tests was around electoral pacts - the same old shite really, leave only one 'unionist' candidate to ensure they win, because unionism is the only policy they have (and if you don't like it, tough). Anyway, new leader initially rejected an electoral pact, but a few threats from loyalist paramilitaries later and they've now dropped out of the running. Funny how the loyalist paramilitaries always seem to work for the benefit of the DUP, isn't it? It's also a neat indicator that the UUP shall remain irrelevant as their policies will either be entirely in line with the DUP, or they can't seem to bring themselves to oppose the DUP.

How this affects NI as a whole will be interesting, but it does not bode well for the UUP. It may work out well for the Alliance Party if they can pick up the disillusioned 'pro-uk' vote though.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    altid wrote: »
    A minor note on NI politics, specifically the (largely irrelevant) UUP and the North Belfast constituency.

North Belfast is a fairly close seat demograpically, currently held by Nigel Dodds, and the DUP have spent years keeping it that way through every dirty trick they can think of (e.g. refusing new housing developments in nationalist areas because they'd swing the vote). Recently, the UUP got a new leader and one of the first tests was around electoral pacts - the same old shite really, leave only one 'unionist' candidate to ensure they win, because unionism is the only policy they have (and if you don't like it, tough). Anyway, new leader initially rejected an electoral pact, but a few threats from loyalist paramilitaries later and they've now dropped out of the running. Funny how the loyalist paramilitaries always seem to work for the benefit of the DUP, isn't it? It's also a neat indicator that the UUP shall remain irrelevant as their policies will either be entirely in line with the DUP, or they can't seem to bring themselves to oppose the DUP.

How this affects NI as a whole will be interesting, but it does not bode well for the UUP. It may work out well for the Alliance Party if they can pick up the disillusioned 'pro-uk' vote though.

Neither reaction seems appropriate given the subject matter, so I just wanted to say that's interesting to read about, thanks.

Kind of makes you wonder why a party would voluntarily consign itself to irrelevance and then continue to operate in futility? Like, I get being scared off by paramilitaries, but you'd think they would just quit in protest at that point.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    An entry in "The Lib Dems totally moderated Tory policy during the Coalition"

Oops I meant an entry in the Lib Dems being duplicitous fucks who gladly threw their electorate overboard enabling Tory policy.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options

Oops I meant an entry in the Lib Dems being duplicitous fucks who gladly threw their electorate overboard enabling Tory policy.

Bear in mind the source material here.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Casual wrote: »

Even then, I don't think anyone's going to argue against the point that the Lib Dems fucked up tremendously with the tuition fees vote.

Burnage on
  • Options
    I'm catching a lot of homoerotic undertones from these Cameron stories. Obama tucking him in, Nick wanting to do things together no matter just how wrong others might see it. If the story doesn't end with Putin stopping him getting on that plane to college so they can spend the summer together, I don't know what to believe in anymore.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Considering what Clegg has been up to since (Vice-President for Global Affairs and Communications for Facebook), I’m not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Considering what Clegg has been up to since (Vice-President for Global Affairs and Communications for Facebook), I’m not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I still would have done until he took that post. But yeah, now, no. He gets no benefit of the doubt any more.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    In other news looks like Mothercare is set to go in to adminstration with the loss of 2500 jobs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50287153

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    If this means the end of those scary ass animatronic trees in shopping centres, then good.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Yes, he is quite well known all around. Here's the picture Yle, the Finnish public broadcast news, used in their reporting:

mkje89c.jpg

Getting kind of a Deep Ones vibe from this photo

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mean it's 2500 redundancies, it's very bad

High Street is absolutely dying on its arse

• Options
    I'm not saying you trust Clegg, I'm just advising you don't take Cameron or Osborne at face value just because they're saying things you want to hear about someone you don't like. They're both full of shit and always have been. That hasn't changed because they've been out of government a few years. I know the book has been out since well before the election was called but now is still a very good time for the Tory PR machine to take whatever they can use to sour people on the lib dems and possibly turn people off voting for them in those marginal seats

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

mkje89c.jpg

What is that lapel pin

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

mkje89c.jpg

What is that lapel pin

Dunno, but it is very non-Euclidean.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

mkje89c.jpg

What is that lapel pin

The poppy? It's a war remembrance symbol in the UK and is actually apolitical.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Gower Tory candidate apologises for Facebook post
    A Conservative general election candidate has apologised for a Facebook post in which she said people on a TV show needed "putting down".

Francesca O'Brien, who is running for the Gower seat in December's election, made the comments about Channel 4's Benefits Street in January 2014.

In the posts following the broadcast of the first episode of Benefits Street, Ms O'Brien said: "Benefit Street..anyone else watching this?? Wow, these people are unreal!!!"

Responding to another user's comment, she said: "My blood is boiling, these people need putting down."

Ms O'Brien said her comments were made "off the cuff" but admitted her "use of language was unacceptable".

Labour called for the candidate to be dropped.

But Welsh Conservative chairman Byron Davies has stood by Ms O'Brien, who is still set to run in the general election on 12 December.

Just re-phrase it and say you were talking about the TV executives who decided to vilify people on benefits, then I'd kinda agree.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I hadn't thought before about poppies being a UK only thing, although I guess it's kinda obvious having considered it for a second.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    jaziek wrote: »
    I hadn't thought before about poppies being a UK only thing, although I guess it's kinda obvious having considered it for a second.

Never need much of an excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

mkje89c.jpg

What is that lapel pin

Except insofar as wearing one is effectively mandatory for political figures.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

mkje89c.jpg

What is that lapel pin

Except insofar as wearing one is effectively mandatory for political figures.

Hasn’t there been a right wing co-option of the poppy and Remembrance Day? If nothing else, the right wing tabloids fanatically enforce its use by politicians.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Right wing scumlords are militant about wearing them, sure. Someone tweeted a picture today of someone with a swastika tattoo wearing one, which is hilaribad in its stupidity. But certainly not to the point that it stops me from wearing one or attending a memorial service.

The paranoid pinning of one on to everyone who appears on telly rather than risk the ire of some damn fool who thinks the sight of someone not wearing one signals the end of civilisation and DECENCY is stupid.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

mkje89c.jpg

What is that lapel pin

*stares in James McClean*

but to be less glib, it's absolutely political since it's inherently a symbol of the military. There's no such thing as an apolitical war

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

mkje89c.jpg

What is that lapel pin

Try wearing a white poppy and you'll find out how apolitical it is.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

It isn't. They're what the VFW hand out in the US when you drop some change in the bucket. They just aren't as associated since we decided to make Memorial Day different from Veterans day, and are more world war 2 focused than on doughboys.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.