As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Think they’ve got rid of the small number of tories that could be described as sane. It does look distressingly like an outright majority of Tory nutters is going to be the result of the election, and at that point I seriously worry about the damage they could do over 5 years.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I don't get how they can gain such a potentially overwhelming majority. Are there people who just aren't voting? Who are all these people voting conservative?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't get how they can gain such a potentially overwhelming majority. Are there people who just aren't voting? Who are all these people voting conservative?

Split 50% one way and split 50% three ways. Which ones bigger?

Those numbers are closer to 48%/52% from what I last saw but still not enough that the Right won't win if it isn't split and the Left is.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Split 50% one way and split 50% three ways. Which ones bigger?

Those numbers are closer to 48%/52% from what I last saw but still not enough that the Right won't win if it isn't split and the Left is.

Sure, but they shouldn't be pulling 48% to begin with considering.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

Legitimately baffled by how Lab can be down two and Con up one *this* week.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    RNG. Anyway the main takeaway is that that is a lot of “dont know” relative to “will not vote” and the margin of victory. If the dont knows go hard one way that side wins in a landslide. If the dont knows spit LD/Lab then its close but the cons still win

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that seems statistical noise.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Old people and idiots are going to give these maniacs another five years.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Old people and idiots are going to give these maniacs another five years.

Fuck the 5 years, brexit will grind UK into obscurity.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Old people and idiots are going to give these maniacs another five years months.

Fixed for FTPA

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Normally I would never post a tweet from the detestable Leave EU Twitter account, but I thought perhaps this thread might enjoy the statement from Leave EU Chairman Arron “Cambridge Analytica” Banks complaining that his Twitter account has been hacked, his personal data has been stolen and that this data is being used without his consent.

In other news it appears all of Bank’s DMs were dumped onto a public file.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.caymannational.com/ has also been revealed to have been hacked in the Isle of Man this week. The hack actually took place in 2016 but the hacker(s) just leaked over 2TB of stolen data.

I won't link to the data dump; but you can read their manifesto here, it's a heck of a read.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Normally I would never post a tweet from the detestable Leave EU Twitter account, but I thought perhaps this thread might enjoy the statement from Leave EU Chairman Arron “Cambridge Analytica” Banks complaining that his Twitter account has been hacked, his personal data has been stolen and that this data is being used without his consent.

In other news it appears all of Bank’s DMs were dumped onto a public file.

Carole is an Observer journalist who's worked extensively on uncovering Aaron Bank's dodgy dealings.

• Options
    Yeah, the Banks hack and leak happened yesterday. So far no news group has touched the story, but it looks like ALL his private messages were leaked, so... that’s quite the treasure trove for them to dig through.

Also as Banks points out in his statement his account is still hacked and the data is still sitting there, apparently because Twitter can’t verify him as the account owner.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Banks hack and leak happened yesterday. So far no news group has touched the story, but it looks like ALL his private messages were leaked, so... that’s quite the treasure trove for them to dig through.

Also as Banks points out in his statement his account is still hacked and the data is still sitting there, apparently because Twitter can’t verify him as the account owner.

I don't believe in god(s), I like to think that there's karma on some grand universe scale even though I know there isn't.
    But stories like that just make this teeny tiny part of my brain all warm and fuzzy.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Wait isn't cambridge analytica the firm that looked at everyone's data in order to manipulate them?

I just wanna make sure the exact irony level I'm seeing here.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Wait isn't cambridge analytica the firm that looked at everyone's data in order to manipulate them?

It's 2019, Sleep. Irony is dead and we killed it a long time ago.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Yes, Cambridge Analytica is the data firm that mined data from an unknown number of websites and social media platforms and then used it to manipulate people and spread disinformation on Facebook and Twitter, through the use of bot accounts and targeted misleading advertisements.

We are deep in world’s tiniest violin territory with this one.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Maybe this might make conservatives give a shit about the security and liability of social media platforms, and enact some sort of "Bill of Rights" that governs ethical practices.

Nah, of course not. They'll expect a specific provision just in this case, but steadfastly be pro-"do whatever the fuck you want".

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh I did the, honestly minuscule, legwork to make the connection here on who this guy was, and yeah can't say I can bring myself to say this is a bad thing. I mean I actually have an ethical framework so I do have a hard time calling any data breach good, but I'm having an awfully hard time feeling bad about this one here. It honestly seems a cosmically just reward. He used access to everyone's personal data to manipulate shit, everyone gets his personal data.

Sleep on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

I can't imagine the media ever commenting or writing stories about hacked private messages or emails.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    MorganV wrote: »
    Maybe this might make conservatives give a shit about the security and liability of social media platforms, and enact some sort of "Bill of Rights" that governs ethical practices.

Nah, of course not. They'll expect a specific provision just in this case, but steadfastly be pro-"do whatever the fuck you want".

Well I’ve had a casual glance through some of the stuff people are tweeting and so far I’ve seen DMs from Dominic Raab thanking Banks for the Farage pullout and saying to forget the North and concentrate on “the heartlands”, and Banks himself telling someone he’d just spent “£1000 of your money on tea with Priti Patel” so chances are the rest are probably desperately trying to remember what the hell they’ve been doing and coming up with cover stories.

*edit* Got that second one mangled! That was Daily Mail journalist Dan Hodges telling Banks that he’d spent £1000 of the money on tea with Patel.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Green Party Manifesto is out: https://campaigns.greenparty.org.uk/manifesto/

Green New Deal, Woo! Humanity maybe not going extinct, woo! 8-)
    Of course people aren't going to vote that way though, I sometimes think the whole country has a collective form of Stockholm syndrome after years of evil Tory rule.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Green Party Manifesto is out: https://campaigns.greenparty.org.uk/manifesto/

Green New Deal, Woo! Humanity maybe not going extinct, woo! 8-)
    Of course people aren't going to vote that way though, I sometimes think the whole country has a colective form of Stockholm syndrome after years of evil tory rule.

They're apparently actually spending less than Labour and the Tories overall, though Labour say their green spending is not that different from the Green's.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe they didn't offer the Brexit party as an option in areas they aren't standing, but even so they've seen a big drop-off in support.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Watching farage fold like a cheap suit has been the slimmest of silver linings, but I'll take it

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd take it if I thought it'd shut him up for one second, but he'll find a way to appear in the news no matter what.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    In this case the country as a whole would have been better off if he'd been selfish. The pro brexit vote would have been split and we could have had a good outcome. As it is we are now almost guaranteed a Tory majority the question is how big.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    In this case the country as a whole would have been better off if he'd been selfish. The pro brexit vote would have been split and we could have had a good outcome. As it is we are now almost guaranteed a Tory majority the question is how big.

Exactly. Farage knows that if he splits the vote and Team Brexit loses because of it he will get crucified by the base. Jonhson outplayed him in the contest to become Brexit leader, so Farage can now only beg for scraps.

• Options
    It's going to be such a fucking travesty when it turns out the popular vote is 48% for Brexit Parties and 52% for Second ref ones, but we press on regardless to No Deal Brexit.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Johnson already overrunning on his opening statement and talking over Etchingham. Great start.

Anyone else got the debate on?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    If any of you wanted to get rid of the last of your sanity, the party of scrupulously honest bus claims has decided to rename it's own twitterfeed as "Fact Check UK" for tonight's debate, purple tick logo and everything.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Johnson hammering Corbyn on which side he'd campaign on should Labour get a second referendum. Corbyn deflecting.

It's a shame because Corbyn has otherwise spoken well so far while Johnson is just sloganeering.

• Options
    Johnson outright stating the Union is more important than Brexit. Some hay could be made with that one by a savvy opponent...

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    any tube feeds on this?

• Options
    Johnson warning of a chaotic Corbyn/Sturgeon coalition.

Corbyn replies we've had "nine years of chaotic coalitions already".

• Options
    Johnson now claiming there will be no border in the Irish sea.

Johnson talking over Etchingham multiple times more.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.