As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    From the Guardian blog: Curtice's own analysis of why Corbyn isn't likely to get a majority.
    He said the issues for Labour included Corbyn’s personal unpopularity with voters (although he also noted that Johnson was “the most unpopular new prime minister in polling history”), and the fact that they had lost both remain and leave votes through a middle-ground approach to Brexit.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    On the night of the referendum, we went to bed as 'Great Britain' and woke up as 'little Britain' and that is a tragedy.

That's a campaign slogan right there.

For a competent campaign, yes

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    It's utterly infuriating that the Remain side can't get their fucking act together Jesus Christ.

The problem is that, ultimately, the labour leadership are not on the remain side and never have been. Some of the party are, sure, but the overall approach to remain voters has been to ignore them while demanding they vote labour.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    From the Guardian blog: Curtice's own analysis of why Corbyn isn't likely to get a majority.
    He said the issues for Labour included Corbyn’s personal unpopularity with voters (although he also noted that Johnson was “the most unpopular new prime minister in polling history”), and the fact that they had lost both remain and leave votes through a middle-ground approach to Brexit.

Hence why the Lib Dems aren't doing it. They know they're not going to win, they're running on a "right side of history" platform. This is some 4d chess shit so in a decades time they can say "look we were the only party to actively oppose Brexit".

It is political suicide to tell people that voting to leave the EU was a massive mistake and they've voted to fuck themselves economically.

You can't tell the voting public they fucked up.

• Options
    I think you can, but you can't if you plainly don't believe they have. A strong, credible Labour leader who cogently and enthusiastically argued for staying in the EU might have been the way to get a second referendum.

We'll never know, and I could be entirely wrong, but I'm never going to stop resenting the absolute pig's arsehole Labour made of their Brexit position, and how happily they got right behind the calls to end free movement.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    to her credit diane abbott has been publically saying today labour should back free movement

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    to her credit diane abbott has been publically saying today labour should back free movement

It's a day after Len McClusky said they shouldn't, so well done again on presenting a clear line for people to follow, Labour.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

It's a day after Len McClusky said they shouldn't, so well done again on presenting a clear line for people to follow, Labour.

I imagine the party is pretty split on the issue, 30%/70% in favour, like the are with Leave/Remain.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Politics Home editor, quoting the Beeb's stats and polling boffin. Absolute galaxy brain move not to try some sort of Remain alliance with the other parties, guys.

Not Corbyn's fault that Lib Dems hate social democrats more than they hate Hard Brexit.

I think we might have stumbled upon labour's campaign slogan.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »

I imagine the party is pretty split on the issue, 30%/70% in favour, like the are with Leave/Remain.

If only they had someone at the head of the party to argue the case for one or the other and not try to constantly please everyone at once by being deliberately vague!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Politics Home editor, quoting the Beeb's stats and polling boffin. Absolute galaxy brain move not to try some sort of Remain alliance with the other parties, guys.

Not Corbyn's fault that Lib Dems hate social democrats more than they hate Hard Brexit.

Labour apparently has rules against electoral alliances but it was difficult to find where those rules are written down
    Unite to Remain confirmed that they approached Labour early on in these discussions, but were “very heavily rebuffed” by senior figures on the front bench. This is partly because of the Labour Party’s own rules, which preclude pacts.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/11/guide-remain-pact-between-liberal-democrats-plaid-cymru-and-greens

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Can't believe Binface and Buckethead are splitting the vote like that.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Corbyn: I don't want another independence referendum
    Earlier, before his interview with the BBC, Mr Corbyn told a heckler on a campaign visit to Scotland he didn't "want another independence referendum”.

As the Labour leader addressed a crowd in the West Lothian town of Linlithgow, the woman stopped to ask about reports he would work with SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon and help her secure the so-called indyref2.

Mr Corbyn attempted to reassure the heckler by saying he would not want another vote - contradicting a previous suggestion that he would consider one.
    From the Beeb live feed.

I see we've got all our ducks in a row on election policy once again, Jeremy.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    If you are wondering how SCons are approaching this election then they are going for an exciting "Less Democracy" angle.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Hence why the Lib Dems aren't doing it. They know they're not going to win, they're running on a "right side of history" platform. This is some 4d chess shit so in a decades time they can say "look we were the only party to actively oppose Brexit".

It is political suicide to tell people that voting to leave the EU was a massive mistake and they've voted to fuck themselves economically.

You can't tell the voting public they fucked up.

Isn't that functionally what you do when you're in the Opposition? Tell people they fucked up by putting bad people in charge?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yes, but the best Labour has to offer is "vote for us, and we'll do the bad and stupid thing in a way that's totally not bad and stupid but awesome, really!"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Who are these clowns? And Bobby Smith?

• Options
    Comedy candidates are part of political life in the U.K. and are excellent value for election night photos.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Binface is the original Buckethead.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Good lord if Lord Buckethead got more votes than Boris ..
    then again, if the Tories win and Boris isn't elected as an MP he can still be made PM, right?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

In fairness McClusky isn't part of the PLP. He's just a wanker people give too much time and attention to when he opens his stupid fat mouth.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Binface is the original Buckethead.

From the horse's (bucket's?) mouth

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    then again, if the Tories win and Boris isn't elected as an MP he can still be made PM, right?

Yes. There are no constitutional requirements to be PM.

Buuut its a good excuse to bin him and install a different PM. And there are a few dolts in the tory party stupid enough* to want the reigns right now.

*alternately: smart enough to know this is their only chance

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »

Yes. There are no constitutional requirements to be PM.

Buuut its a good excuse to bin him and install a different PM. And there are a few dolts in the tory party stupid enough* to want the reigns right now.

*alternately: smart enough to know this is their only chance

if that happens I expect we'll get to watch Gove and JRM have the noodliest slap fight in the history of parliament.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    one of those farce fights where both combatants injure themselves and/or the scenery while attempting to do violence to their opponent, ending in a double (self) knockout.

*sigh* we can dream.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    one of those farce fights where both combatants injure themselves and/or the scenery while attempting to do violence to their opponent, ending in a double (self) knockout.

*sigh* we can dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FfrnOXGHg

Jazz on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Corbyn: I don't want another independence referendum
    Earlier, before his interview with the BBC, Mr Corbyn told a heckler on a campaign visit to Scotland he didn't "want another independence referendum”.

As the Labour leader addressed a crowd in the West Lothian town of Linlithgow, the woman stopped to ask about reports he would work with SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon and help her secure the so-called indyref2.

Mr Corbyn attempted to reassure the heckler by saying he would not want another vote - contradicting a previous suggestion that he would consider one.
    From the Beeb live feed.

I see we've got all our ducks in a row on election policy once again, Jeremy.

Corbyn is clearly only saying this because he needs the voters in Scotland to gain majority support for Brexit in a second referendum. Pretty bad look.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    43169h2xhoql.png

for calibrating your interpretations of different polls, by the polling observatory

@surrealitycheck This was super interesting, thanks!

I thought it might be neat to throw that into a spreadsheet with conditional formatting to highlight trends, although it was probably just a waste of my time. Reds are above average, blues are below average, whites are close to the mean.
    9d10t3c6ntqi.png

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    43169h2xhoql.png

for calibrating your interpretations of different polls, by the polling observatory

Am I reading this wrong or are those all very small biases?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    43169h2xhoql.png

margin of error in most cases but that’s enough to completely swing things in today’s climate

i think the conclusion here would be 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♂️

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Small but in a tight race a 1% difference can be quite big.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Labour now promising free fibre broadband to everyone. Saying by 2030, paid for by taxing tech giants (that'll go down well with them in this day and age, I'm sure). Part-nationalising BT (not a surprise). And free as in actually no monthly sub cost.

It's a bold strategy Cotton, etc, etc.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'll believe that one when I see it, just like Bojo's "full fibre" by 2025 promise

of course if in 5 years time I've got something that isn't 3mbs downhill with a tailwind and a prayer behind it then I'll eat a very small edible hat but for now it's rough chuckles from me.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I mean it's nice and certainly represents a good step forwards for inclusivity in the digital economy, but I dunno if this is a paradigm changer in terms of vote capture.

• Options
    I'll believe that one when I see it, just like Bojo's "full fibre" by 2025 promise

At least this is a more realistic timeframe and cost.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I absolutely believe McDonnell when he says people are always telling him about broadband when he goes round places though. I know it's the number one actual day to day issue for me, but I am in the relatively unique position of being in a small village in central Devon that has had its broadband rollout, except it completely missed us on three sides and I can literally see the end of fibre optic coverage from my house. It stops about 500m away from the exchange box as the crow flies and it's infuriating that the response was "lol guess you're fucked then" Oh you can get this wireless thing except you can't because there's these things called "trees".

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    43169h2xhoql.png

relatively small, but if you think about two polls coming out back to back eg survation vs yougov that means you end up with one reporting 25% lab and the other 29% on average

which is a big deal, especially when compared to other parties!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

of course if in 5 years time I've got something that isn't 3mbs downhill with a tailwind and a prayer behind it then I'll eat a very small edible hat but for now it's rough chuckles from me.

Well they plan to spend 20 billion pounds instead of 5 and nationalize part of BT to achieve it, so it's at least more realistic than what Johnson promised.

I don't know enough about the situation to say whether it is actually realistic though. I didn't know that getting full FTTP coverage was such a major political issue to be honest.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It's been a thing in Scotland for a while, I don't know about nationally

https://www.gov.scot/publications/reaching-100-superfast-broadband/

Although my guess would be that Scotland probably has a larger area that the private providers aren't willing to fund

This discussion has been closed.