As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Absalon wrote: »
    I don't think it matters, because only one side of the electorate cares about bigotry and only one party is held to a decent bar which will inevitably be raised. There is no incentive to be better even though I agree that morally this is something that can't be ignored, morally.

Disillusionment is a thing. If people who are not happy with the status quo are only ever givin the choice of your "No Change" or the opposition's "Even Worse" you're eventually going to start losing them, either to apathy or to a third party.

I would think this is a especially true in the UK, where unlike the US there are actual viable third parties that can win elections and have MPs in Commons. From what I understand, smug certainty that Scotland would never vote "against their interests" for the blatantly Anglophile Tories was a part of what led to Labour losing almost all their seats in Scotland to the SNP in the last decade.

You could say "beating Johnson is too important to let genuine moral outrage prevent you from voting Labour for a winnable seat," and maybe you're right, but it would be much better for Labour in the long run to expel the antisemitic fuckers in their party ASAP and make the message clear that party standing is not going to protect younif you start spouting conspiracies about Zionist plots.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    the funny thing about that corbyn book thing is that it tells u more about a different failing than anti-semitism - that he does not read fucking anything

You know, that idea had never occurred to me. Especially because his forward mentions the contents of the book. But yeah, maybe he never read the book at all and was just lying when writing the forward or didn't even write it himself.

• Options
    Labour's anti-semitism issue is like the emails/honesty issue for Clinton - nothing is ever good enough but the media will always derive incredible pleasure over bullying out more responses and attempts to fix the problem, thus legitimizing even more equally obsessive coverage of the issue. I lack the capacity to discern where the real magnitude and extent of the issue ends and the hysterics and anti-Labour bias begins.

I don't see how the two are anything alike. Clinton's problems were a bunch of bullshit the media harped on about for ages because they hate her. Labour's anti-semitism issues seem to be extremely real and non-trivial, unless you are saying the report quoted above is lying.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

well this went straight for the jugular

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    In 3 minutes he eviscerated Johnson more than 3 years of the opposition versus May and then Johnson.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    In 3 minutes he eviscerated Johnson more than 3 years of the opposition versus May and then Johnson.

But does it work? Does it move the needle? My guess is no.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular

Nah, Johnson played him for a fool, no one but politics junkies will pay attention to this.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    And he's just given Johnson a list of the questions he'd ask.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    eEK! wrote: »

Nah, Johnson played him for a fool, no one but politics junkies will pay attention to this.

Maybe...I also would assume that there's a bunch of other questions that'd get asked, especially about why this took so long.
    With a point being made at the same time, that this whole thing is still about honesty.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    consistent labour bounce observable in last few days of polling, i would say something like 3%, perfectly timed to make the yougov MRP less helpful than everybody wanted it to be

EDIT: this is dominic raabs constituency

please please please narrow further

This is my parent's constituency.

What has two thumbs, hit them up for a bowl of chili, and went canvassing for the LibDems last night?
    This guy!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Labour's anti-semitism issue is like the emails/honesty issue for Clinton - nothing is ever good enough but the media will always derive incredible pleasure over bullying out more responses and attempts to fix the problem, thus legitimizing even more equally obsessive coverage of the issue. I lack the capacity to discern where the real magnitude and extent of the issue ends and the hysterics and anti-Labour bias begins.

I don't see how the two are anything alike. Clinton's problems were a bunch of bullshit the media harped on about for ages because they hate her. Labour's anti-semitism issues seem to be extremely real and non-trivial, unless you are saying the report quoted above is lying.

This but then the other way around.

Ok not really because yeah the Clinton thing was overhyped as hell, but it is just silly to see the comparison be contradicted like this. You don't have to assume the whole report is lies to question the interpretations of parts of it. For one it keeps putting in objections to the IHRA definition as straight examples of antisemitism. Plenty of bias there.

You don't have to think the issue is trivial to recognize the way it is pushed. The Clinton comparison specifically is apt because there is very little talk about the same issue in the Conservative party.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Julius wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

This but then the other way around.

Ok not really because yeah the Clinton thing was overhyped as hell, but it is just silly to see the comparison be contradicted like this. You don't have to assume the whole report is lies to question the interpretations of parts of it. For one it keeps putting in objections to the IHRA definition as straight examples of antisemitism. Plenty of bias there.

You don't have to think the issue is trivial to recognize the way it is pushed. The Clinton comparison specifically is apt because there is very little talk about the same issue in the Conservative party.

What the hell are you even talking about?

In the end, Clinton handled emails in a way that was not great but also not against the rules or law. The press and her political opponents made a HUGE deal out of it though.

Labour's anti-semitism problem is very very real. It is not at all like Clinton's email scandal because it's an actual thing that actually happened and is actually pretty bad. It is not, from anything I can see here, being overhyped. It's legitimately bad.

Again, unless you are deciding to complete dismiss the report talked about above. Which, frankly, it seems like you are in order to try and hold some sort of line here so you can claim this is mostly the press being unfair rather then it actually being a legitimate issue. You want to very roundaboutly claim the report is bullshit and this is all overhyped.

But the reality is that even just all the stuff highlighted there is fucking bad. And I've seen no reason, from you or anyone, to cast any serious doubts on it.

shryke on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guardian blog, on a poll in Scotland projecting likely results.
    Seat projections from the poll see the SNP up from 35 to 46, Tories down from 13 to 8, the Lib Dems sticking at 4 and Labour losing all but one of their 7 Mps.

The SNP nabbed Remain voters and lost very few Leave voters, and are thus doing very nicely, thank you very much. More than one seat is still very marginal, though.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    The issue might go away if, instead of complaining how unfair it is, labour actually dealt with the anti Semitism in their party

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Quote lifted directly from an answer to a question about immigration which didn't specify the race of those immigrants.
    Johnson wrote:
    “I’m in favour of people of colour coming to this country but I think we should have it democratically controlled.”

Why bother with a dog whistle when you can just be racist openly?

Bogart on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    We're counting Poles as people of colour now?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Channel 4 have already taken the video down, as the Tories are claiming he said people of talent. Could get messy.

EDIT: From Channel 4

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    Hmmmm. It’s possible, I suppose. Listening to the audio that word is a little unclear.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    daveNYC wrote: »

white has always only meant ethnic groups the majority approves of

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    I guess he didn't say it, then. It makes sense, I suppose, as "people of colour" is a construction of words he probably wouldn't naturally use, on the grounds that it's too sensitive and PC.

Damn. I want his barely in place mask to slip very badly, like his father's did when he said people were too stupid to spell Pinocchio.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

white has always only meant ethnic groups the majority approves of

Quite, but actually using the phrase 'people of colour' is taking it to the next level.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Guardian blog.
    Boris Johnson has unveiled a new election poster in a visit to Kent. It declares: “Get Britain out of neutral.”

The poster does not state which gear the Conservatives want to put Britain in. The gearstick has a choice of gears one to five and reverse.

It must be nice to get paid for deadpan comedy like this.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Guardian blog.
    Boris Johnson has unveiled a new election poster in a visit to Kent. It declares: “Get Britain out of neutral.”

The poster does not state which gear the Conservatives want to put Britain in. The gearstick has a choice of gears one to five and reverse.

Would that we had something as pithy as the American "D to go forwards, R to go backwards".

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Guardian blog.

Would that we had something as pithy as the American "D to go forwards, R to go backwards".

PRNDL

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Why stay in Neutral when you can shift to Park?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    2a6kqxmc9jec.png

*chefs kiss*

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I guess he didn't say it, then. It makes sense, I suppose, as "people of colour" is a construction of words he probably wouldn't naturally use, on the grounds that it's too sensitive and PC.

Damn. I want his barely in place mask to slip very badly, like his father's did when he said people were too stupid to spell Pinocchio.

The man has publicly used the word 'piccanniny' within recent memory. If outright racism was gonna bump his polling he'd have hit zero long ago.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    2a6kqxmc9jec.png

*chefs kiss*

I - I finally understand politics!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

More than one person reckons he said "people of colent", as if it was a mid-syllable correction to a Freudian slip

Which is hearsay, but seems plausible

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I'm just wondering what in the name of fuck having immigration "democratically controlled" would mean.

Does everyone pile into the immigration office and are made to dance while baking a cake and the public will vote on whether or not you get to live in the UK?

sig.gif
  • Options
    It doesn't mean anything, really. It just plays into the idea that our borders are controlled by UNELECTED EUROCRATS right now.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's basically more pro-Brexit blather. "The people have spoken and they don't want any more immigrants."

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    eEK! wrote: »

Maybe...I also would assume that there's a bunch of other questions that'd get asked, especially about why this took so long.
    With a point being made at the same time, that this whole thing is still about honesty.

What's the reputation of Metro? I'm not familiar with it. Good news source, trash, other?
    Why does the rottweiler have gauntlets?

• Options
    It's a free paper given away on public transport. It was once pithily summed up as "Yesterday's news, tomorrow!".

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Metro is DMG Media, of Daily Mail fame

A lot of copy is reproduced across both papers because there isn't a huge amount of overlap in their readership

Metro is a bit more clickbaity in tone and less racist

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    2a6kqxmc9jec.png

*chefs kiss*

There's a handful of these out there. Not nearly enough, but worth GIS'ing "Jeremy or Boris meme".

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Here's a video with Boris that I actually recommend clicking on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI87PRgIKks

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Debate time. Again. Johnson & Corbyn this time.

There isn't enough alcohol in the world.

• Options
    Johnson incapable of uttering a sentence that doesn't include the phrase "get Brexit done", and Robinson naturally not shutting the soundbites down like he said he would.

• Options
    So who had a fiver on Johnson saying "tampons" this much?

This discussion has been closed.