As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    On the one hand you have Boris Johnson evading the question of whether protecting the NHS was discussed with Trump. On the other, Corbyn bungling a question about what he does on Christmas Day.

One of these will get swept away with barely a passing mention, the other will be brought up repeatedly to highlight why Corbyn shouldn't be PM.

Well, to be fair, BJ avoiding anything Trump ain't stupid.

Are you sure it's not an impostor?

That's not the kind of caution I expect from a man that thought it was a great idea to quote Kipling in the middle of Myanmar.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Well this isn't good

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-50658437
    Investors in the UK's biggest commercial property fund - worth £2.5bn - have been temporarily prevented from taking out their money.

Investment firm M&G said withdrawals from its property portfolio fund had been suspended after investors consistently withdrew their savings.

The firm blamed "Brexit-related political uncertainty" and difficulties in the retail sector for the situation.

The fund has shrunk by £1.1bn so far this year.

One of the main issues affecting M&G has been the state of retail. The High Street has been having a torrid time.

As more and more stores have closed, that has put pressure on property funds. Returns from these have been less than great recently and so many investors have been pulling out their cash.

M&G admits it has been struggling to sell buildings with sufficient speed to be able to match the demand from investors wanting their cash back. Hence this suspension.

Some analysts warn several other property funds could follow suit.

One point worth noting, also made in the article is that this happened in 2016 following the referendum result, so best not to panic yet.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm rarely concerned about investors since they're the ones driving those rental prices up and helping the demise of retail.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It's more about what it says about the state of the property market than the investors per se (though always worth pointing out that if you have any kind of pension, chances are a decent chunk of it is invested in property)

Whether or not brexit will lead to a property price crash has been one of the hotly debated topics, so things like this speak to the general level of nervousness about one actually materialising

• Options
    Fair enough. A housing price crash is the only benefit I could see of Brexit since I could maybe afford a house, but then the mortgage rates would probably be 40 times higher so you'd be locked out another way.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yay, more obstacles to moving house

Edit: y'know, on top of the rest of the shit show

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fair enough. A housing price crash is the only benefit I could see of Brexit since I could maybe afford a house, but then the mortgage rates would probably be 40 times higher so you'd be locked out another way.

A housing price crash is probably going to either be part of, or the start of, an economic downturn.

So, unless you've got the money to pay cash, and weather the recession, it's probably not going to do much for you.

It's usually the rich that make money and accrue assets in circumstances like this. Sean Hannity (yes, that square headed motherfuck) is reported to have bought hundreds of houses following the sub-prime market's housing crash.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

A housing price crash is probably going to either be part of, or the start of, an economic downturn.

So, unless you've got the money to pay cash, and weather the recession, it's probably not going to do much for you.

It's usually the rich that make money and accrue assets in circumstances like this. Sean Hannity (yes, that square headed motherfuck) is reported to have bought hundreds of houses following the sub-prime market's housing crash.

Yeah I was gonna say it will just end with the rich owning more property and then keeping the poor poor through extortionate rent, more so than me picking up a 4 bed for 20,000.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Bogart wrote: »
    FT correspondent. A totally trivial matter, easy to just say "Sure", even if it's a lie, and move on, but he doesn't, because he's fucking shit at this, and looks evasive and shifty because it's obvious the answer is no but he doesn't want to say so. He won't lie, but he also won't tell the truth, and looks like a berk.

It absolutely doesn't matter at all to me whether he watches the Queen's Speech. Only 10% of the country does. But I will never understand how he manages to screw up a question like this.

He's so afraid that what taking a position will be used against him that he just doesn't. If he says he doesn't watch the Queen's speech (and he obviously doesn't) then he's an anti-Royalist (which good) which will lose him some votes.

I'm of the opinion that if you've not got kids, 3PM is a perfectly acceptable time to be the morning. You'd barely of finished having turkey breakfast by then.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Yeah I was gonna say it will just end with the rich owning more property and then keeping the poor poor through extortionate rent, more so than me picking up a 4 bed for 20,000.

It also destroys the wealth of the middle class while doing that.

Housing crashes don't benefit anyone worth benefiting.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    e
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Some Extinction Rebellion protestors, dressed as bees, have apparently glued themselves to the Lib Dem bus.

The bus is electric.

I read this as electrified, and was picturing bee-dressed protesters being shocked and rolling on the ground going "noo, don't taze me!"
    I mean, that would be a horrible thing, but also, in the dark recesses of my mind, kind of funny.

Same, I was chuckling in dark amusement at someone in a bee costume getting shocked, then I reread the sentence and got it.

It’s still funny because irony though.

It's not really irony though. They're not protesting the type of fuel used in campaign busses. Their problem is that the Lib Dems climate proposal is to be carbon neutral by 2045*, which is too little too late.

*numbers might be inaccurate, going off memory.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Nobody is blaming the EU for not stepping in, the point is that EU membership does not prevent the government from destroying people's lives. Therefore, staying in the EU is a secondary concern.

Also, it sounds like you think austerity is some sort of natural phenomenon rather than deliberate government policy. It is nonsensical to say EU membership makes opposing austerity easier, because to not have austerity merely requires not having its proponents in power. A better economy or funds to help the poorest are irrelevant. Brexit doesn't make getting rid of the "Bedroom tax" any more difficult. A weaker economy might make alleviating poverty harder, but it has no effect on the difficulty of reversing welfare reforms. The economy doesn't affect Parliament's ability to pass laws.

I guess the line about austerity being a natural phenomenon is meant to be an insult or paint me as being all for it, but I can't see how you got there from what I wrote. I don't know why you are unable to understand that a government with less money and more people out of work and a less stable economy would be less able to implement a sweeping and expensive raft of proposals to help those in need, but there you go.

Yes, the economy affects Parliament's ability to pass laws, if those laws mean more money has to be found from somewhere, and a sinking economy means there's less money. They could pass a law to reverse all the cuts the Tories made, but if they didn't have the money to pay for it all it wouldn't matter. Brexit makes the country poorer, which makes the government poorer, which makes paying for stuff the Tories cut harder.

The government can just borrow the money by issuing bonds. Labour is also proposing to raise taxes to pay for things, but just in general it is nonsensical to talk about governments "needing to find money from somewhere". Governments don't run out of money like that, they can't run out of money like that. If the government budget is more than its revenue then it automatically issues bonds to make up for the deficit. The line about austerity was because it seemed you think this is not the case.

The recession following a Brexit is also precisely the right time to increase the deficit. “The boom, not the slump, is the right time for austerity.” as Keynes says. When the economy is doing bad, the government should increase public spending. Reversing the Tory-Lib Dem cuts would be one of the best and most obvious things to do in that situation.

Austerity is just the policy of reducing the budget deficit. Which for the UK programme was mainly done by reducing public spending in the form of cutting benefits. You can just increase the deficit again by increasing public spending, the economy doesn't have an effect on that. The reason that some countries got into trouble during the Great Recession is that they couldn't pay back their loans, which is not going to be an issue for the UK.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    A better economy and fewer poor people makes it easier to oppose austerity because it makes it easier to sell spending programs... which means its easier to campaign against its proponents...

Never mind the fact that EU spending in the UK is in and of itself anti-austerity and so necessarily prevents austerity.

Edit: to make it as clear as possible. Written as a consequential statement youre saying “In order to make oppose Austerity Labour is not going to fight against Austerity”

I don't think fewer poor people makes a difference to people who believe the government shouldn't give any money to poor people. I don't think a better economy makes it easier to sell spending because these people are ideologically opposed to public spending in this manner.

also, EU spending in the UK is far less than UK contributions to the EU. Brexit would hardly be an issue if it wasn't. I don't know what you mean by EU spending being in and of itself anti-austerity, because again austerity is just the policy of reducing the budget deficit (by cutting benefits in this case). I don't understand what you mean.
    moniker wrote: »
    Doesn't being a member of the EU prevent, say, Boris Johnson allowing the importation of chlorinated chicken? That the EU doesn't prevent duly elected member governments from doing all the horrible things that they can to the constituencies that empowered them doesn't mean the EU doesn't prevent any.

Oh sure, but I was talking in the context of cutting benefits and such. Loads of EU regulations are pretty nice, and staying in the EU is the better option. But not having to eat chlorinated chicken doesn't really seem super important if you have trouble getting enough to eat in the first place. Plus the EU could totally allow importing that shit at some point.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    every single thing I've seen about Extinction Rebellion bangs of "drama students getting ready for their first Edinburgh Fringe" and I hate it

We've had them call the office and DEMAND to know our plans for tree planting, and WHY are we so secretive about it.

The completed forest management plans are always publicly available, and we have several public consultations for plans currently being worked on. Go back to watching Planet Earth in the dorm halls and let me get on with my job!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rees-Mogg's appalling sister is one of four Brexit MEPs who are either resigning the whip or have had it removed, apparently, over the election strategy.

I'm enjoying, in a "good band on this here Titanic" kind of way, the unravelling of Farage's political party shaped dictatorship fantasy.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    The submissions to the EHRC commission investigating anti-semitism within Labour have been leaked and make for unpretty reading. A long and ongoing thread which highlights excerpts.

In "Tories are still, always awful" news Sajid Javid was about this morning denying the crash of 2007/2008 was a global economic crisis and was instead entirely down to Labour. Johnson is still dodging difficult press interviews. The scumbag tabloids predictably went with Corbyn's needless, stupid attempt to blag his way out of admitting he doesn't watch the Queen's speech.

Javid was also making wild promises that we'll definitely have financial equivalence as part of the trade deal across all sectors we'll definitely get done in 11 months, which is about as blatant a lie as you can imagine. It's quite something that there's still a cabinet full of people pushing the "quick, easy and home in time for tea" trade deal lie after three years of endless bickering and failure before trade negotiations have started. Possibly they figure, possibly correctly, that they just need to tell the thirsty public there's an oasis over the next sand dune to win the election, and then it won't matter.

Bogart on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    So just for some context the leak is a submission is from the Jewish Labour Movement, a membership organisation of Labour. They have a history with Labour going back 100 years, and for the first time will not be campaigning for Labour at an election.

Some of that stuff in the submission is grotesque, and likely to dominate the next fews days at the very least. It puts to bed the lie that this has all been dealt with, and frankly there can be no complaints about this dominating coverage when they've had ample time to deal with it.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I loathe international for profit property investors and would ban them and indeed any large scale landlord happily. But it is a worrying sign to see investment just disappearing.

Solar on
  • Options
    Javid also claimed that Labour were responsible for the increase in homelessness. We're well into the campaigning stage of blaming the other party for everything now. Just tell the lie and get off stage fast.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It's kind of blowing my mind that after nearly a decade in power the Conservatives are still running with the stance that things are massively shitty and it's totally Labour's fault and it's apparently working.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah because there are a large number of fucking stupid people in this country

Starting to get really sick of British idiots. I like foreigners, we should get some more in to balance out the home grown scum.

• Options
    Peston at least challenged BJ.
    Boris Johnson appears to believe the UK will be legally out of the EU after January 31, if he wins the General Election. Appearing on ITV’s Peston on Wednesday night, the prime minister insisted that everyone will stop talking about Brexit after the new year because ‘we’ll legally be out’ of the bloc.

The PM and the broadcaster’s political editor, Robert Peston, clashed dramatically, after the journalist pointed out that the UK will be in a transition period after January 2020 and is still subject to EU law.

Mr Johnson said: ‘Yes, we’re legally out, we are legally out, and it is an amazing thing… ‘We have taken back control, we are legally outside the jurisdiction of the EU… We are able to begin the work of doing free trade deals.’

Taken aback by the comments, Mr Peston argued: ‘No, we’re not out until we’re through the transition… No, you know this. ‘Come on, you know that we’re not out properly until we’re through the transition… We’re still subject to EU rule making, even new directives we’re subject to.’

The PM retorted that the UK could choose to terminate the transition period at any time and would then legally be outside of EU jurisdiction, but if he chooses to do so ‘the decision is ours’ and ‘it’s a fantastic moment for this country’. Mr Peston continued to ask when ‘are we coming out then?’, to which Mr Johnson admits: ‘Well the transition period ends, as you know, by the end of 2020.’

And my favourite part, a bank (that he can't name) "told" him that there's lots of money coming if he can just get out of the EU.
    He probed: ‘You constantly talk about this tidal wave of investment that’s going to come into the UK when we leave the EU, so name a deal that you know is going to happen.’

The PM pointed out that Goldman Sachs told press that there is ‘£150 billion pounds’ worth of investment waiting to come in just if we can get my deal over the line’.

He added that a ‘big bank’ which he won’t name has told him of investment, adding: ‘I have come across plenty of people, which I don’t wish to talk about now, who want us to get Brexit done because they see huge opportunities in this country’.

Whatever happens next week, I hope all parties can come together in feeding BJ slowly to a snake feet first.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The submissions to the EHRC commission investigating anti-semitism within Labour have been leaked and make for unpretty reading. A long and ongoing thread which highlights excerpts.

Jesus christ that thread is damning. And it just doesn't stop.

There's even a whole section on Corbyn that is nuts. The main new one, and at least to me in many ways the most damning, is the one where he wrote a forward to a book that apparently argues that the banks and the press are controlled by the Jews? Holy shit.

This whole part is probably the most damning though I think:

And there's a WHOLE lot of followup about this. This seems kinda the thrust of it though:

• Options
    The book thing isn't new, and Corbyn admitted some of the language in it was 'deplorable'.

The worst thing that popped out at me was one CLP secretary demanding home visits for 25 orthodox Jews who had applied for membership. No home visits for any other applicants were demanded.

• Options
    Johnson underwent an interview by Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby this morning, neither of whom are Andrew Neil. He made the coward's apology of being sorry for any offence caused about some but not all of his many, many appalling comments in the past.

• Options
    Johnson underwent an interview by Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby this morning, neither of whom are Andrew Neil. He made the coward's apology of being sorry for any offence caused about some but not all of his many, many appalling comments in the past.

They took a selfie with him too. I've watched Schofield since he was on Saturday morning tv when I was a kid and I'm really disappointed in him.

• Options
    It was Johnson's own phone, apparently, and it was his suggestion. That's not to excuse Schofield and Willoughby posing for it like he's a pop star but, one detail is delicious.

It was a Huawei phone.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It was Johnson's own phone, apparently, and it was his suggestion. That's not to excuse Schofield and Willoughby posing for it like he's a pop star but, one detail is delicious.

It was a Huawei phone.

That's just poetic.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the funny thing about that corbyn book thing is that it tells u more about a different failing than anti-semitism - that he does not read fucking anything

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    the funny thing about that corbyn book thing is that it tells u more about a different failing than anti-semitism - that he does not read fucking anything

Sure he does, he multitasks while watching the Queen's speech.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I see the latest Corbyn antisemitism news has been the cue for yet another round of "Hi, we're the lefties who spent the 2016 US election going on about how you aren't owed our vote you have to earn it and voting for the lesser evil is still evil, and we're here to say you're morally obligated to vote for Jeremy because Boris is worse." Getting pretty sick of that.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Video in which Corbynites are show examples of antisemitic actions by Boris, and swiftly label him unfit for office. It's then revealed they are actions and words by Corbyn.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Labour's anti-semitism issue is like the emails/honesty issue for Clinton - nothing is ever good enough but the media will always derive incredible pleasure over bullying out more responses and attempts to fix the problem, thus legitimizing even more equally obsessive coverage of the issue. I lack the capacity to discern where the real magnitude and extent of the issue ends and the hysterics and anti-Labour bias begins.

Absalon on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Labour's anti-semitism issue is like the emails/honesty issue for Clinton - nothing is ever good enough but the media will always derive incredible pleasure over bullying out more responses and attempts to fix the problem, thus legitimizing even more equally obsessive coverage of the issue.

"Nothing is ever good enough" seems to avoid answering whether, throwing out any bad faith expectations and sticking to the scale of the worst we can do to the best we can do, we're doing pretty good or pretty bad. Where do you think Labour falls on that spectrum, and how much do you think that matters?

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I don't think it matters, because only one side of the electorate cares about bigotry and only one party is held to a decent bar which will inevitably be raised. There is no incentive to be better even though I agree that morally this is something that can't be ignored, morally.

Absalon on
  • Options
    The incentive to be less accepting of racism shouldn't be derived from electoral advantage, especially from the party supposedly being all about social justice.

Also even purely from an electoral view, disenfranchising the Jewish community is dumb. Making yourself toxic to so many people, who aren't willing to ignore what's going on, is dumb. Being in a position where your party is the second to be investigated for institutional racism (after the fucking BNP), is dumb.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

It was a Huawei phone.

That's just poetic.

I don’t get it.

I barely know much about international trade on this aside from China doing something with 5G, so what’s the joke with Boris and Huawei?

I love irony so I’m chomping at the bit to know!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    1*7vE7TMtEYEh8uv7z9ssbDw.jpeg

"If I say tomorrow that a Tory will say something misogynistic/racist/homophobic/classist/generally offensive, nobody panics. Because it's all. part. of. the. plan. But if I say that Labour has a problem with anti-semites, well then everybody loses their minds"

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Jazz wrote: »

It was a Huawei phone.

That's just poetic.

I don’t get it.

I barely know much about international trade on this aside from China doing something with 5G, so what’s the joke with Boris and Huawei?

I love irony so I’m chomping at the bit to know!

Huawei being involved with 5G networks is something the Trump administration has been pressuring the UK government to stop (because supposedly concerns about China snooping through backdoors etc). Johnson made vague noises at the NATO summit about maybe giving Huawei the boot, presumably mostly because of the Tory Holy Grail of a trade deal with the US. And here he is, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with his very own Huawei phone.

Jazz on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Labour's anti-semitism issue is like the emails/honesty issue for Clinton - nothing is ever good enough but the media will always derive incredible pleasure over bullying out more responses and attempts to fix the problem, thus legitimizing even more equally obsessive coverage of the issue.

Corbyn has certainly tried doing nothing, and it doesn't seem to have worked.

This discussion has been closed.