Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Wow if you get dudes that can stun in draft yasuo is crazy. Opponent had 2 "stun weakest enemy" Yasuo leveled up and I lost bad.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ugh just got hit by a bug. Doing an expidition. Que for a game. Takes 2 minutes to load or so. Can see cards in my deck if I move my mouse around on the screen. At 2:30 matchmaking I say ok, it's bugged. Relog. Get a loss in the expedition. Sad.
    m7hmmvm69tb6.jpg

BoTP. Tried reporting the bug but don't think it worked?

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    Burst spells, ami right? ><

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So I guess I should stream expeditions or whatever because I went 7-6-7-7-2. It's an odd number because I thought there was no point to doing the second one because I got 7 wins on the first but apparently you can still earn exp. And then I was playing with house money on the 3rd one so I drafted some fuckin horrible jank. Maybe it's not that impressive because you need to do just over 50% winrate to go the distance. It's a fun format and a great way to try champions you don't have. Things I learned (spoilered for big):
    Fiora is really fun! And it's not that easy to go off with her. For every time you cackle with glee because you dropped barrier on her mid combat, they have a small damage spell to pop the bubble or other bounce or stun. But when it goes off, by god is it rewarding. I think her actual ability reads "draws a disproportionate amount of hate cards." I had a bunch of buff abilities like the heal to full and double stats, and I used them on Fiora sometimes but often times you can put them on some other dude and Fiora will still draw a ton of hate. And then sometimes she's a 12/12 or something stupid and a card without her text would have won anyways. It's really nice to drop her on turn 3 right after they play that spell that summons spiders if something died. It also goes without saying that her + Shen is the silliest thing and should be outlawed.

In a similar vein, control seems really strong. Ezrael and Heimer were a great combo, especially Ez since he builds up while he's in the deck and can easily go over the top to finish the game at 6 damage a turn by himself. Anivia is also a massive control payoff. She's stupid good upgraded. I drafted Lux a bunch in some of my spell heavier decks and I saw her like twice and both times she was really unimpressive. I had a lot of success with decks that play literally nothing on the two three turns so you can drop a dude with a spell up on turn 3, like a Fiora with barrier.

Overall I think you can afford to go slow. It seems difficult to cobble together a real consistent aggro deck, at least I think I played one game where I got blown the fuck out and it was a really bad draw.

Some random card evaluations, first the good:

I think my MVP card is the dumb 5/5 that gets lifesteal and tough if something died. It single handedly enabled me to come back in games that hemorrhaged life early to win late. Deny is SO GOOD. If you're playing Fiora get all the denies. Challenger is just really good overall, as is tough. I like a lot of the elites, Vanguard Redeemer, Cavalry, or Guard are great. Parade Electrorig is pretty dang dumb too.

Detain is pretty good but sometimes is just a dead card. For maximum value, cast it on stuff that resets when it comes back, at the very least it washes away buffs. Shady Character is a really interesting card, sometimes it's amazing, and sometimes they kill your thing in response and you spent 4 for a 1/1.

Ki Guardian is kind of much less useful than I thought. There's no guarantee you have a great barrier target, or even when you play it the barrier will be relevant that turn. At least it cycles. Mageseeker Investigator was also really underwhelming. I thought it was whenever you play a spell, but it's just when it comes in. Navori Conspirator was less good than I hoped, mostly because there's not a huge guarantee you have someone to bounce with it that early, and if you don't the 2/2 for 3 that draws a card is just better. It sat dead in my slower decks.

Apparently you can also do free expeditions forever after three, but you don't earn card rewards, but you do still earn exp?

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Apparently you can also do free expeditions forever after three, but you don't earn card rewards, but you do still earn exp?
    Correct. If you're good at it, and it sounds like you have the knack for it, start abusing it for XP to rank up your regions and get them sweet sweet rewards.

It apparently resets on Tuesday to requiring tokens / gold / shards for the first two.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Dammit this game got a hold of me and I am actively rubbing up against the anti-whale policies

I understand why they're there! I agree with it! I STILL WANT CARD!

letmeinmeme.gif

edit: being 1 card off of the deck I actually want to run and having no realistic way to attain it outside of slide-scaling experience is definitely frustrating

Vladimer on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    frankly as soon as i get past like 5 wins in expedition it's nothing but Anivia decks

absolute nut card

I drafted Aniva in my deck just for fun and to see how she plays. I'm at game, like ... 6 or so and she has never even entered my hand.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Refunded a ton of games on Steam that I got on sale because there's no chance I'm getting to them any time soon with this game out.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Correct. If you're good at it, and it sounds like you have the knack for it, start abusing it for XP to rank up your regions and get them sweet sweet rewards.

It apparently resets on Tuesday to requiring tokens / gold / shards for the first two.

I mean even if you're shit at it you would still get the regular exp, just a bonus at the end? As far as I can tell the only downside is that you can't use all the fancy constructed decks you earned those cards for. I guess it's nice for a change of pace option from constructed.

I built a Yasuo tempo deck that is a ton of fun, as well as a midrange deck with Vladimir and Darius since I had the champs for that lying around. After this it's just tough figuring out what direction I'd like to start committing stuff to. Probably just wait until Tuesday and see if anything I open with the vault pulls me one way or another. I think I'd like to get into Freljord but I'd need some Ashes and additional Braums.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

I mean even if you're shit at it you would still get the regular exp, just a bonus at the end? As far as I can tell the only downside is that you can't use all the fancy constructed decks you earned those cards for. I guess it's nice for a change of pace option from constructed.

I built a Yasuo tempo deck that is a ton of fun, as well as a midrange deck with Vladimir and Darius since I had the champs for that lying around. After this it's just tough figuring out what direction I'd like to start committing stuff to. Probably just wait until Tuesday and see if anything I open with the vault pulls me one way or another. I think I'd like to get into Freljord but I'd need some Ashes and additional Braums.

It does also save you from wildcard anxiety. I’ve been really reluctant to spend wildcards for constructed until a meta settles, so I’ve just been grinding expeditions and having a ton of fun.

Regarding meta and wildcard, have they said what happens if a card we own gets nerfed or changed? Do we get wildcards as recompense?

• Options
    The only wildcards I've been hesitant to spend are champions because I've never gotten one. Otherwise I look at a decklist I'd like to try and then I check and see if the cards are used in other decks, and if they are I feel it's a safe spend.

Also, something I learned yesterday: You can get an in client refund on shards or wildcards if you go to the purchases page, haven't used the card since crafting it, and it's within a week. This was nice because I could spend down cards to see how much I need remaining, and then refund them. Or I found a new deck that I'd like more, so I unspent cards on another partial build to move them to that.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular

It does also save you from wildcard anxiety. I’ve been really reluctant to spend wildcards for constructed until a meta settles, so I’ve just been grinding expeditions and having a ton of fun.

Regarding meta and wildcard, have they said what happens if a card we own gets nerfed or changed? Do we get wildcards as recompense?

I don't think they've said what their compensation policy is for nerfs. I'm curious about this too because they've said they want to be more aggressive about balance changes than other card games are.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I'm really loving this so far, but for the love of god can the game please let me click on the actual cards instead of the 'recall' button when I do a mulligan?

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    The only wildcards I've been hesitant to spend are champions because I've never gotten one. Otherwise I look at a decklist I'd like to try and then I check and see if the cards are used in other decks, and if they are I feel it's a safe spend.

Also, something I learned yesterday: You can get an in client refund on shards or wildcards if you go to the purchases page, haven't used the card since crafting it, and it's within a week. This was nice because I could spend down cards to see how much I need remaining, and then refund them. Or I found a new deck that I'd like more, so I unspent cards on another partial build to move them to that.

This legit saved me like an entire deck. THANK YOU

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Spider decks are so dumb in expeditions, since it will happily hand you all the pieces if you get Elise right away. And then you just run everyone over.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    Just curious: where are you players on ladder? Im gold 3, up n down on a Ionia/Nox deck.

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    Like, Bronze IV. I haven't played enough of it to climb much - nothing at this level stops dumb Zed beats it feels like.

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I'm really loving this so far, but for the love of god can the game please let me click on the actual cards instead of the 'recall' button when I do a mulligan?

I'm guessing this is for mobile players down the road since they may want to just look at the card.

I am piloting something I thought was a complete pile to 2-0 right now in expeditions before I had to leave for work. I felt like I picked so poorly I left the screen halfway through to play some ranked yesterday evening.

Speaking of ranked, the Yasuo tempo deck continues to be AMAZING. People have no idea how to play around it. I played Swiftfoot to bounce/murder all his shit, and then he plays The Empyrean and nothing else while I have the minotaur who stuns the weakest thing every turn. Just a free kill.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Troop of Elnuks just seems cruel in expeditions. It summons every elnuk in the top 10 cards of your deck when you play it. So I pay however much (4 or 5) for a 3/3, then I get probably two more big ole elnuks at the same time. It is rocking for me in this expedition at the moment.

• Options
    Just had an Epic Card from the region rewards level up to a Champion card. OK game. I'm fine with you giving me my fourth Jinx in the last expedition.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Also, I encountered literally the most bullshit single card I've ever seen.

Captain Ledros.
    An 8/6 for 8 mana that fucking halves the health of your nexus when you play him.
    Oh, and if he dies, he goes right back into your fucking hand. So you can play him again.

I was winning a game and a guy played Ledros and then made him elusive and literally did 16 nexus damage in 2 turns and instantly killed me. I had literally one card to play to somehow stop this.

If you have 1 health he also kills you on summon. I did that to someone my first expedition.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Also, I encountered literally the most bullshit single card I've ever seen.

Captain Ledros.
    An 8/6 for 8 mana that fucking halves the health of your nexus when you play him.
    Oh, and if he dies, he goes right back into your fucking hand. So you can play him again.

I was winning a game and a guy played Ledros and then made him elusive and literally did 16 nexus damage in 2 turns and instantly killed me. I had literally one card to play to somehow stop this.

If you have 1 health he also kills you on summon. I did that to someone my first expedition.
    That someone... was me. :0

(it probably wasn't but I did have that happen to me in my first expedition)

Also after not playing for a while I won all three games I played this morning so the game is Good Again.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Just had an Epic Card from the region rewards level up to a Champion card. OK game. I'm fine with you giving me my fourth Jinx in the last expedition.

How many shards did the dupe give you?

• Options
    So I've been having some pretty decent luck with this deck and it's not even where I want it to be. It slowish in the early going, however there are some really cheap bombs and removal: Death Mark and Dark Water Scourge can be played on your third turn (if you haven't played anything) and removes any big threat the opponent has managed to cheat out in the early game, while also getting you back up to health. Chronicler of Ruin on Rekindler can get you double the champion, same basic plan with Chronicler and Mist's Call on a Champion (Zed). Eventually I would like to have multiple Karma's and perhaps one extra Hecarim in this deck. Mark of the Isle and Death Mark are also cheap removal/minion buff.

I've found the win condition is either getting to end game with Karma or just exhausting their own removal on low cost units.
    ED! wrote: »

How many shards did the dupe give you?

Shoot I wasn't even looking I was so annoyed.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    My expedition came to an end after 5 wins with back-to-back bullshit.

1st try I get a Fiora on round 3, with a War Chef on round 2. He then apparently has a hand of literally all the exact correct buff cards because every single turn he dropped at least one buff card on Fiora to suddenly make her able to kill any unit I tried to kill her with. Literally 4 rounds in a row.

2nd time I get spammed with Lucians and Sennas and a massive number of buffs to prevent me from ever killing them before he had a Lucian (the 2nd one cause I already killed the first) and 2 Sennas and eventually just get overwhelmed. On like round 5 or 6.

Got a Kalista or whatever (the one that bonds) at least for the trouble and the chest randomly upgraded.

shryke on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    And this is what we call overextending:

c9sykj1e58l8.png

I had the 1/1 spider deathrattle dude and the undying skeleton guy on the board. They've just played the +2/+2 dude.

• Options
    I'm loving the free expeditions and they may get me hooked. Love that you can keep.doing them to get some practice in. Also it's a nice time to try new champs and see how they work

The bonus xp at the end is just icing on the cake.

• Options
    Added in a Ren Shadowblade to this deck I've been climbing with and it essentially locks the opponent out of playing any threats on my turn.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Well, I hit silver, went on a six game losing streak (one due to another computer crash), rebuilt my deck using Noxus instead of Freljord for more removal to deal with elusive, was about to win one and then my wife bumped the power out of our modem.

So the game is now Bad Again.

I am actually having quite a bit of fun with an almost purely Shadow Isles deck but if an elusive deck has a counterspell for my first removal spell I am generally dead before I can even cast The Ruination. Hopefully the switch to Noxus fixes that.

e: went something like 1-4 with this and it feels... very bad. Did not see much elusive this time around and it felt like I was sitting on 2 Culling Strikes when I died with nothing to cast them on most of the time. Probably need to cut some more spells in favor of bears because once I fall behind on units it feels impossible to catch up.

5nw4ywl6cfqu.png

I'm thinking -1 Culling Strike, Blade's Edge, and Black Spear and +1 Glimpse Beyond and +2 Elise.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I want to make a good teemo deck, but it seems like that might be a fools errand. Anyone have a link to a good teemo deck?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    God damn I wish this game could save replays. Some cat was running the Spoooder! deck and started off really well, getting me down to 2 to his 20, and he gives me the "Facepalm" emote. I have the 7 mana 7 Heal Draw 1 in hand and just need it to draw good (which it has a good chance of doing since I've drawn bad so far). I draw into Rekindler, Darkwater Scourge and Mistcaller. He plays a card, allowing me to play the Darkwater Scourge and then swings in with everything (of course). Block with the Scourge, give it +3/+3 dragging me back up to 17 health, and I block with the Hecarim I have on board. Cast Rekindler, and now I have two Hecarims. Win next turn.

Didn't have any emotes from the opponent on that Darkwater turn.

EDIT: Off that win I just unlocked the Champion Bundle (with Elise. . .sigh) but did get two Captain Ledros. I think those are going in as finishers.

ED! on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Man dawn and dusk is really op with anivia. Summon 2 copies that are epheral but the eggs that come back are not. I had 3 anivia for most of the game and another dusk and dawn in hand.

(Expiditions)

Edit I bet it works on trynd too

RickRude on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Man dawn and dusk is really op with anivia. Summon 2 copies that are epheral but the eggs that come back are not. I had 3 anivia for most of the game and another dusk and dawn in hand.

(Expiditions)

Edit I bet it works on trynd too

Yeah, there's a bunch of units like that.

Another good spell to get for that kind of thing is Death Mark. Let's you summon an ephemeral unit and then make an enemy unit ephemeral instead of your own. I think that spell is WAY too lost cost at 3 for how powerful the effect is.

shryke on
  • Options
    Ahaha.

20 power Ashe. Crystal Arrow, swing for instant kill because it applied frostbite to all 5 of their units (and even if they'd played another, Ashe would have zeroed it out too on attack).

• Options
    So is there any rewards for doing ranked?

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Only thing you get is shinier rank and tougher opponents.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Eh, wouldn't surprise me if they got some cosmetic rewards going on it at some point. But currently no.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    So is there any rewards for doing ranked?

PRIDE. I hit silver 1 yesterday and let me tell you those little wings on the side of the rank insignia really makes basking in the cold blue light of my monitor feel just a little warmer.

I assume there will be end of season rewards or something at some point.

The Yasuo deck continues to be the most fun thing ever, especially because it's the deck where I consistently pull wins directly out of my ass with 5 or less health while the opponent is spamming the Shen emoji. I won a game at two health that my opponent apparently thought there was no way I could win. I guess they forgot that Mina Swiftfoot would obliterate their board position while also giving my little bladetwirlers +6/+0 each.

Also the most bs card is the stupid freljord card that frostbites the biggest thing. Especially if you get TWO of them.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Trying to screw around with some new decks, I've noticed a few things:

#1 is that it's actually not easy to build a lot of different decks in this game. While cards are relatively easy to come by eventually, Champions are bloody pricey and put a huge barrier and/or price tag on putting together a new deck. And often I find you need multiple copies of your champion of choice to make them at all reliable in your strategy.

#2, which is what kinda led to the above revelation, is that The Undying decks do not seem to be very good. I've been trying to get a shadow isles deck together but all I've gotten in my champion pool is Kalista and Thresh and neither seem that good for the normal decks you'd run and I only have one of each anyway so you can't really make a reliable deck with them anyway.

But anyway, the basic problem I'm seeing is that The Undying can't block and tends to chew up a ton of space in your army, leaving you vulnerable to just getting your nexus beaten down before you can really get them big and beefy and killing their nexus in return. I have never been able to get it to work with any sort of consistency and usually end up dead with a bunch of beefy The Undyings just sitting their watching like goobers as my opponent goes face.

Interestingly I've actually stumbled upon an interesting late-game combo that I'm trying to figure out how to fit into a better deck. Because all the cards that let you repeatedly kill and resummon The Undying to get him buffed to hell also work on Commander Ledros (ie - Captain Half-health) Since every time he dies he goes right back into your hand, you can use a bunch of tricks to make ethereal versions of him or kill him and resummon him next round and just basically slam the enemy's nexus in half turn after turn while also deploying an actually useful big beefy motherfucker onto the field. The main issue is how long it takes to get him onto the field and get this rolling, so you'd need some sort of control deck to back it up or some way to cut his cost drastically.

shryke on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Agree on everything you said, Shryke. That's actually the deck I want to try to build next with killing / regenerating Ledros'.

That being said, the deck I'm running now (due to two Epic cards upgrading into Karma's) is this Shadow Isles / Ionian control. Yes, it has Undying's. And yes, I netdecked.

Champions -

Zed 1x
    Karma 2x
    Hecarim 3x

Followers -
    Oblivious Islander 2x
    The Undying 3x
    Darkwater Scourge 3x
    Chronicler of Ruin 2x
    Ethereal Remitter 2x
    The Rekindler 2x
    Rhasa the Sunderer 2x

Spells
    Vile Feast 2x
    Glimpse Beyond 3x
    Black Spear 3x
    Deny 2x
    Death Mark 3x
    Withering Wail 2x
    Vengeance 1x
    Ruination 2x

It's been working very well for me and Karma is hilarious.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).