As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Dibby wrote: »
    love how i can place 4th and get one measly fucking MMR but place anything under 5th and lose 75

literally dropped from 5.7k to 5.5k today

like holy fuck i just dont fucking know anymore. i hit 4 or 5 and literally spend turn after turn just mashing reroll to try and find ANYTHING OF VALUE and i don't find SHIT

Ughhhhhh

Nvm I figured it out

Like, honestly? Legit, no joke? It's because I've been playing on mobile.

Literally eating into my turn timers and I end up with <40 second turns at the very tail end of the game. It's not even 40 seconds. It's more like 30. Rerolling ends up hitching and takes maybe 2-3 sometimes. Buying and selling definitely eats 2-3. Getting a triple is absurd; I've ended turns where I'm TRYING to buy the Triple, play it, play the Triple Reward, select the Triple reward, and play that one..... All the while my hand keeps minimizing back down so I have to keep pulling that back up for each step of the process (WHICH TAKES EVEN MORE TIME BTW). And then it's like, oh by the way you still had like 6-7 gold to try and reroll with but you fucking couldn't because you only had 40 seconds and these animations are eating into the limited turn timer.

The turn timer, btw, which actually just fucking lies and does not end at 1 second left, it ends at 5 seconds left. Literally counting down and it hits 5 and the turn is just over.

They need to fucking make mobile BGs perform way better cause I can't fucking play on mobile anymore. Literally playing on PC the other day vs mobile today is the difference between consistent Top 4 places and placing 5/6/7.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    yeah if I'd switched to PC around when I hit 5.5k I'd probably have been near 9k by the time I stopped instead of 7k

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I tried that dragon hunter out and gained like 2000 legend points which was rather tilting

Saw a shit ton of rogues and they just out tempo and shut me down every time

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I called BGs being unplayable on mobile from the start.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Mech Paladin blows up several games in a row and I'm back on the floor at 15.

I go with my bastardized Quest Warlock deck because it's fun. It's not the net recipe (no Godfrey, no Glinda, no Solarium) but as noted earlier in the thread, floor mad scientist stuff makes the world go round. Provided the opposition doesn't flambé your ass by round five.

I pull a Galakrond Warrior to start. Here's the board before my turn at 11. Alex/Zeph were not active at this time.

bimfsvt6gede.png

It feels good to play consistent Ain't Goin' Out Like That defense, start Round 14 eleven health down, and end it fifteen up and the opposition self-detonating the C4.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Guys. I did it. I was laughing too hard and didn’t get a screenshot, but I got the mythical double mecharoo ghastcoiler and died.

Also don’t use a BG calculator unless you want to be even angrier at BS RNG. That ghastcoiler loss was basically the only way to die from a 97.5% chance of winning (something like .02% chance of death).

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    love how i can place 4th and get one measly fucking MMR but place anything under 5th and lose 75

literally dropped from 5.7k to 5.5k today

like holy fuck i just dont fucking know anymore. i hit 4 or 5 and literally spend turn after turn just mashing reroll to try and find ANYTHING OF VALUE and i don't find SHIT

Ughhhhhh

Nvm I figured it out

Like, honestly? Legit, no joke? It's because I've been playing on mobile.

Literally eating into my turn timers and I end up with <40 second turns at the very tail end of the game. It's not even 40 seconds. It's more like 30. Rerolling ends up hitching and takes maybe 2-3 sometimes. Buying and selling definitely eats 2-3. Getting a triple is absurd; I've ended turns where I'm TRYING to buy the Triple, play it, play the Triple Reward, select the Triple reward, and play that one..... All the while my hand keeps minimizing back down so I have to keep pulling that back up for each step of the process (WHICH TAKES EVEN MORE TIME BTW). And then it's like, oh by the way you still had like 6-7 gold to try and reroll with but you fucking couldn't because you only had 40 seconds and these animations are eating into the limited turn timer.

The turn timer, btw, which actually just fucking lies and does not end at 1 second left, it ends at 5 seconds left. Literally counting down and it hits 5 and the turn is just over.

They need to fucking make mobile BGs perform way better cause I can't fucking play on mobile anymore. Literally playing on PC the other day vs mobile today is the difference between consistent Top 4 places and placing 5/6/7.

It's literally unplayable, always has been.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    A lot of competitors aren't too happy with Blizz. They are moving their Masters Tour from Indonesia to LA due to the Corona Virus and giving those who are in it $250 for their now worthless plane tickets.

As the plane tickets cost a bit more than that there is a lot of backlash from the players.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They should be fully paying for the cost of the old plane tickets and the new ones. They have so much money. Fucking corporate dildos.

• Options
    What a fucking joke

Blizzard is such a fucking joke, holy shit

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    "why isn't our competitive scene very healthy????"

• Options
    In.... somewhat lighter news (not to detract from this fucking shitshow, but), there was a 2020 Hearthstone Summit held by the HS dev team (yknow, which is to say, not the chucklefucks responsible for the esports clownfiesta)

And word on the grapevine is GOOD, fam:

Color me intrigued.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    To be clear, I don't fault Team5 for the travel thing at all, that's 100% on the upper leadership at Blizzactivision (who are dildos to a one).

• Options
    In.... somewhat lighter news (not to detract from this fucking shitshow, but), there was a 2020 Hearthstone Summit held by the HS dev team (yknow, which is to say, not the chucklefucks responsible for the esports clownfiesta)

Color me intrigued.

oh, have they figured out how balancing a game works after 5 years?

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Color me intrigued.

Like being completely and utterly honest they've been doing a really good job handling the balance for this expac with their new cadence. Turns out smaller tweaks more often ends up going a long way. For the first time in... ever? I actually feel pretty good about the way Team 5 is handling the balance nowadays.

They probably went overboard with the Shaman nerfs at this point though. ...Which isn't something I'd ever catch myself saying, but, here we are.

(and not to say that it didn't deserve those nerfs, because it ABSOLUTELY DID, but I think we're at a point where we might wanna look at... dialing a few back.)

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wow, I can't imagine what a financial and logistical problem it is to change such a tournament to a different locale in that timeframe.

I don't see a good outcome any way.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

Color me intrigued.

my money is on features that should have existed 5 years ago, like in client tourneys.

• Options
    It’s hard to balance card games with large, shifting format changes. Like crazy hard. Magic still screws things up occasionally and they have had far longer to learn.

I give the HS team a lot of credit. They’ve generally done a good job and seem to be improving their response time.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    They should be paying attention to what Legends of Runeterra is doing. That devs are really putting a lot of thought and love into the design and it shows.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Color me intrigued.

oh sick they'll make the game fun to play

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    also who thought the devs had given up on the game? it prints money.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    It’s hard to balance card games with large, shifting format changes. Like crazy hard. Magic still screws things up occasionally and they have had far longer to learn.

I give the HS team a lot of credit. They’ve generally done a good job and seem to be improving their response time.

The Magic team has arguably gotten worse at balancing in the past few years.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Color me intrigued.

Like being completely and utterly honest they've been doing a really good job handling the balance for this expac with their new cadence. Turns out smaller tweaks more often ends up going a long way. For the first time in... ever? I actually feel pretty good about the way Team 5 is handling the balance nowadays.

They probably went overboard with the Shaman nerfs at this point though. ...Which isn't something I'd ever catch myself saying, but, here we are.

(and not to say that it didn't deserve those nerfs, because it ABSOLUTELY DID, but I think we're at a point where we might wanna look at... dialing a few back.)

I agree with all of this, except the Shaman part. Shaman needs more nerfs. It needs to be nerfed into the ground, and then nerfed again. I want the game to preemptively uninstall itself whenever someone even thinks of playing a Shaman deck.

It's the only way to prevent it from immediately turning back into Shamanstone as soon as the next expansion comes out. :D

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    People are sleeping on Murloc Paladin, I tell ya! Sleeping!

No deck can beat a turn 4 tip the scales, which you can get with coin if you're lucky.
    Slower decks can't even beat a turn 8 Tip the Scales.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options

I think a lot of their best talent left for other companies or to start their own. This has been great for gamers but bad for Magic.

• Options

I think a lot of their best talent left for other companies or to start their own. This has been great for gamers but bad for Magic.

this is fairly baseless

they've tried to get a little too esoteric, and it sometimes bites them (theros is good and doesn't contain any 3feris)

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So highlander quest shaman is a joy to play. It’s not super great against anything, except priests it trucks priests, but it is very fun to play.

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    A lot of competitors aren't too happy with Blizz. They are moving their Masters Tour from Indonesia to LA due to the Corona Virus and giving those who are in it $250 for their now worthless plane tickets.

As the plane tickets cost a bit more than that there is a lot of backlash from the players.

There are quite a few events around the world being cancelled and rescheduled. I'm nearby Indonesia and work for an airline and things are going crazy. 250 per person is far more than most others are getting for other types of conferences and events.

Not sure what's offered by country but where I live it's standard to buy travel insurance for these types of things.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    People are sleeping on Murloc Paladin, I tell ya! Sleeping!

No deck can beat a turn 4 tip the scales, which you can get with coin if you're lucky.
    Slower decks can't even beat a turn 8 Tip the Scales.

I've definitely run it up to rank 5 a couple of times this expansion with zero new cards.

• Options
    Same here. And when I've had a Quest to play Shaman, I've been doing Murloc Shaman and it still works OK. It's not strong but it can still blow slower decks out.

• Options
    ColdrazorColdrazor Registered User regular
    Coming news sounds promising. Changing up seasons and standard/wild formats perhaps?

Also, people should talk more about our Lord and Savior, Dragon Hunter.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Mech Pally and I'm wondering why they haven't made a Pally legendary to change your hero power into making a 1/1 mech. You have it for Murloc so you should at some point make it for Mech.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I'm very interested to see what future developments they're talking about. I would note that "good news for hardcore player who plays the game as a full time job" does not always overlap with "good news for more casual players." I'm not making any judgments since obviously we have no idea what's coming and not saying it's not going to be stuff everyone will be excited for, but just putting it out there that not everyone's interests align.

forty on
  • Options
    The thing for me is that there's never been a Hearthstone Summit that didn't have people coming out heaping praise upon what they were hearing. The stuff always sounds good. And the thing is, that's generally been the trend with Hearthstone, is a lot of broad things that sound good, and then when you get into the nitty-gritty is when things start falling apart. At the end of the day, what makes Hearthstone good is "is the current meta fun to play in". And it doesn't matter what features they add, THAT is sporadic and based entirely on balance and individual card design.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Sometimes you just steamroll everyone.

x82v7cjs05mp.png

• Options
    The thing for me is that there's never been a Hearthstone Summit that didn't have people coming out heaping praise upon what they were hearing. The stuff always sounds good. And the thing is, that's generally been the trend with Hearthstone, is a lot of broad things that sound good, and then when you get into the nitty-gritty is when things start falling apart. At the end of the day, what makes Hearthstone good is "is the current meta fun to play in". And it doesn't matter what features they add, THAT is sporadic and based entirely on balance and individual card design.

i would say i am cautiously optimistic in regards to what people have been hinting about, because it sounds like it's something a bit bigger than just The New Expac or whatever. going from what's been said it sounds like some sort of... mechanics/system changes. just some kind of bigger underlying change like that. maybe some kind of updated progression system? who knows.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Is it sideboard? Make it sideboard.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I feel like the most reliable strategy for getting in the top 3 and often 1st in battlegrounds is chonky cleave. Pretty much all but 1 of my most recent wins had a heavy hitting cleave in them. The other 1 was the the big nafarian demon board where I would wipe their divine shields and just maul them.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    mAVJ80I.png

In which I pitched a 30/30+ Triple Wrath Weaver, two Bolvars, and tripled my two Righteous Protectors because Baron with double Ghastcoiler was way too fucking spicy of an option to pass up.

My final opponent was Yogg with Mechs, had two Foe Reapers and a Kangor's and two big-ass Cobalts. Zapp made short work of the Kangor's, the Foe Reaper cleaved onto my Selfless/Spawn. I could HEAR his brain scrambling as he was trying to figure out a way to deal with my Zapp, and.... on the final round he pitched his Kangor's and only had 5 minions.

Whatever that was, that wasn't it chief. Thanks for the win, homie~

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    bonus:

ERUUsBJWkAA48ey.jpg
    "boy, this is such an incredible AFKay start! there's no way i can lose!"

ERUYJc8WsAcSWhi.jpg
    he was wrong

(i ran into a fucker with a full-ass board of Brann/Megasaur'd Divine Shield/Poisonous Murlocs, wasn't shit i could doooo)

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png