As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Steam Holiday Sale on now!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    there's nothing wrong with killing and eating people

like there's no laws against it and morally I think it's fine

This is a refreshingly correct take on the hunting, killing, butchery and consumption of humans

It's bullshit that I can donate my body to science, but not to home ec.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Count Chocula probably fucks I guess

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

This is a refreshingly correct take on the hunting, killing, butchery and consumption of humans

It's bullshit that I can only donate my body to medical science and not oceanography or launching-corpses-into-the-vacuum-of-space science. Which is I guess astronomy? I dunno, I'm dumb as hell

• Options

It's bullshit that I can only donate my body to medical science and not oceanography or launching-corpses-into-the-vacuum-of-space science. Which is I guess astronomy? I dunno, I'm dumb as hell

That's a good point, chum.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    christ...

• Options
    Listen, you knew this job was likely to devolve into a cannibal cult when you took it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    lol good thing nels Anderson noped out as soon the acquisition happened

He left Campo Santo at least seven months before the acquisition.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/306338/Campo_Santos_Nels_Anderson_opens_new_game_dev_studio_Caledonia.php

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/21/17266690/valve-campo-santo-firewatch-steam

good for him either way

• Options

necrastromancy

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    anyway i made a shitpost comic to express my frustrations about games like kr0 being held up as "proof of games as art and literature", please enjoy

1f33k8sbrz61.png

It's not like I don't think that games aren't art.

But if someone was being all hoity-toity about what qualifies as "art," KR0 would be one of those games that makes for an easy counter-arguement.

And it will totally appeal to people who are "serious about literature" aka "love the smell of their own farts."

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    why would i want to argue with those people tho

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    why would i want to argue with those people tho

This is the Internet.

• Options
    but arguing with people who have established ideals about the purity and highness and lowness of art by trying to prove that there are singular exceptions within genres only serves to reinforce their views by showing them an exception that proves the rule, along with the damage to one's own values by warping your arguments to their standards in order to garner their attention and favour

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    What if one endeavours to argue without any held values of ones own

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

That's how Zucks got rich, baby.

• Options

then there's a lucrative career in conservative punditry waiting for you

• Options
    but arguing with people who have established ideals about the purity and highness and lowness of art by trying to prove that there are singular exceptions within genres only serves to reinforce their views by showing them an exception that proves the rule, along with the damage to one's own values by warping your arguments to their standards in order to garner their attention and favour

That's if I valued their opinion rather than just caring to expose them as a pretentious hypocrite.

• Options
    i mean suffice to say that i think people are very optimistic about how much they've owned someone in an argument compared to how often someone has actually been owned

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Well the dark truth we constantly forget is that no one ever wins an argument on the Internet.

But we also just can't leave someone who is wrong alone.

• Options
    well, to quote my trans friends on twitter, "please do not reply to people who hate my existence in order to dunk on them. you are still exposing me to their hate, no matter how much you think you owned them"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    well, to quote my trans friends on twitter, "please do not reply to people who hate my existence in order to dunk on them. you are still exposing me to their hate, no matter how much you think you owned them"

I don't think transphobia is comparable to somebody saying that video games aren't art.

Unless you're suggesting I should just report and block anyone whose media opinions I don't agree with?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Well the dark truth we constantly forget is that no one ever wins an argument on the Internet.

But we also just can't leave someone who is wrong alone.

caajj8ynlm0g.jpeg

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    you're allowed to argue about whatever you want to, my friend, i'm just observing that your desire to bring up something people weren't talking about in order to dunk on it has resulted in you already having to explain that it's not that you think kr0 is a superior example of a piece of video game art and that other games aren't art, but rather that it's an example of a game you would like to hit people you dislike with in order to tell yourself that you've owned them on the internet

this is the risk of the debate over art, what Is and Isn't, and what should be an Example and what shouldn't. in evangelizing it is easy to either give incorrect representations of one's opinions, or to reveal one's own classist biases. thus, my shitposting comic about visual novels (of which KR0 somewhat is), drawing comparisons to the way in which KR0 is treated as more legitimate than the niche visual novels that existed a decade ago (owing to its subject matter being viewed as being more mature subject matter), to the same way that people tend towards valuing 'subversive' VNs like the humour of Dream Daddy or the horror of Doki Doki Literature Club. to even begin debating about whether something is art in any way other than an outright rejection of the premise is to commit a gatekeeping, fixating on arbitrary metrics of Artiness that at best reflect an outdated methodology doctrined by monied nobility. i am less interested in debating art with strangers than i am in discovering art with excited friends.

anyway the real art is this watch i've created, whose time is set by chinchy being frustrated about kr0's release schedule, and darkprimus' responses about how magical a time they had with it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    That watch sounds cumbersome and impractical

• Options
    yeah i said it's art

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Its part of a series of a watches

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I agree wtih all of that. Also, stuff like tailing a moving target could be really good as a mission type - stealth, but with the added pressure of it being timed and you don't get to control every variable of your approach. That would also massively add to the utility of support spotters ("careful, when he turns that corner there's a guard patrol right there").

I loved the intelligence minigame as a minigame but yeah, it could absolutely have been harder. Also, it was fairly transparently a skin over a reward - you do a puzzle, you get a contact who will sell you body armor, or a new agent to hire, or whatever. Names turned up again and again ("Lighthouse," etc) but clearly didn't refer to the same people/places/things from one minigame to the next. I'd have really loved if that weren't the case: like if the game, when you started a campaign, actually generated every possible contact and informant and assigned them locations and code names, and those were persistent throughout your campaign, so when you finally figure out that Simple Simon is a gunrunner in Algiers it's a big deal that adds additional context to every puzzle you solve going forward.

Intelligence gathering based crossover between Phantom Doctrine and Heaven's Vault?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Anyway, having also just beaten Phantom Doctrine, I'd say the main problem I had with it was how clunky everything was.

In missions, you have to constantly finagle your characters to move in a certain way, including the fact that sometimes (but not all the time) they'd want to go a long route to avoid breaking a window, despite that not doing anything (there was an option that appeared to fix this, but maybe made them also want to run through enemy vision cones?). Also, you have to manually set overwatch every turn if you want it, even though there's no reason not to use it if you haven't shot something and you're already loud, and for some baffling reason it offers you not only the granularity between short-range full circle overwatch and long-range conical overwatch, but to pick how big a circle or a cone you want, so you're either moving your mouse waaaaaaaaay offscreen to max the cone size or finagling it to the precise circle size you want.

Then after combat, you're probably manually reassigning people to every station (or at least I was) because it pulls people off forgery and what not, but it doesn't automatically put them back on. And you're constantly spamming lockpicks or decoys every time, which means every five seconds you get interrupted to re-up the order, because for some reason the economy is partially based on the idea you'll keep building crap and selling it (and those sales themselves take like four clicks, or more if you're building the slightly-more-efficient overwatch items for sale), but you can't automate it. And while you're selling gear, you may as well sell one of the seven different variations on the same five guns (six? I never did figure out how revolvers and pistols were meant to differ) and also start transitioning to the slightly-numerically-better silencers you just unlocked. And while you're doing all this, you might be going through the three step process of "interrogate enemy agent, select one of three varieties of ways to force him to your side or the one way to make him a suicide bomber, release enemy agent", which takes forever, and you're probably hopping a new guy up on the 11-step drug sequence you use to get max action points and move distance, which is also stopping you every five seconds on a different timer from the four different guys making lockpicks and the two guys you're brainwashing, and then you've probably advanced literally twelve in-game hours over the span of setting 15 different actions in place in the home screen and then you probably discover one enemy base as one of those agents you made a suicide bomber blows up another one the instant it "spawned", making it somehow feel less-than-useless to have them kill stuff because it apparently doesn't actually let sabatoge keep you at zero hostile bases for any period of time.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oh, for those who have encountered the audio bug in Reach on PC, you have to change your audio quality to 32000HZ FM to fix it. Only workaround so far.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So is Phoenix Point basically just X-COM with Elder Gods instead of aliens?

Veldrin on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh, for those who have encountered the audio bug in Reach on PC, you have to change your audio quality to 32000HZ FM to fix it. Only workaround so far.

What bug is this? I'm wondering if there is an issue with my SFX. Music plays amazing and sounds phenomenal, but the in game effects are pretty subdued I guess.

Enjoying getting back into this, played a BTB then a bunch of firefight with a friend. Looks great, other then floors. Didn't hit me how much better the floors are in games now.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    You cannot reassign the push to talk key in Halo, which is bound to V for whatever the fuck reason (and text chat is... J???).

Yeah, well I didn't want to use the keyboard to play you anyway, game, ya got me.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Picked up Hollow Knight for cheap during Humble Store's black friday sales. It's pretty cool. Which I heard, but I also felt pretty certain it's the kind of game I will hit a pretty solid skill wall at some point that'll keep me from actually finishing it so I held off for a long time.
    I figure for $7 I can dabble with it and not feel guilty if I don't stick with it long term.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    When're we gonna get Kentucky Route 69 is what I wanna know

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Picked up Hollow Knight for cheap during Humble Store's black friday sales. It's pretty cool. Which I heard, but I also felt pretty certain it's the kind of game I will hit a pretty solid skill wall at some point that'll keep me from actually finishing it so I held off for a long time.
    I figure for $7 I can dabble with it and not feel guilty if I don't stick with it long term.

Personally, that wall was trying to play with a mouse n' keyboard. But you'll be okay! There's not really any walls, just some humps that can be intimidating at times!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    In the 'how carefully did you read that End User agreement' news, the SecuROM DRM for the game Tron: Evolution has expired, rendering every single version of the game - store bought or digital on Steam - completely unplayable.
    Players trying to launch Tron: Evolution are now met with a message telling them that the 'serial key has expired'. This applies to the retail version as well as the Steam version which is delisted from the store. Players who previously bought the game from Steam cannot play the game

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topic/4476-tron-evolution-securom-drm-expiration-makes-game-unplayable-9-years-after-release/

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    halo reach is p good

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

It does look a lot like that, yeah.

One kinda neat difference I saw when someone was talking about it was the option to mouse aim your shots. I'm sure it's still to some degree a % hit chance, but it looked like it enabled you to take some shots you were otherwise not allowed. Sounded like balance might be pretty bad currently, though.

But basically a step between old and new XCOM, fighting crabmen and mutants instead of aliens.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

Getting the normal (bad) ending seems pretty doable, still very challenging but like dark souls you can improve enough to accomplish it.

Trying to push past that ending is where I hit the wall due to a huge spike in difficulty and just threw up my hands in disgust.

Won't stop me from getting Silksong but I hope they can smooth over that spike so us normies stand a chance.

• Options

Not according to the XCOM player I trust, Beaglerush.

He's previously stated various reasons for not liking the beta, which I don't exactly recall but I believe one of the major ones was obfuscation of game mechanics in such a way that prevents good tactical decisions combined with clunky interface makes for unsatisfying frustration.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not according to the XCOM player I trust, Beaglerush.

He's previously stated various reasons for not liking the beta, which I don't exactly recall but I believe one of the major ones was obfuscation of game mechanics in such a way that prevents good tactical decisions combined with clunky interface makes for unsatisfying frustration.

Remember this is from the creator of the ORIGINAL XCom, not Enemy Unknown.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.