As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread: Back to your backlogs

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Saw a pop up that Jurassic World Evolution was getting original Jurassic Park content, which reminded me I forgot to keep playing it.

Grabbed the two current expansions. Frontier have been busy. as well as what I expected - add more Dinosaurs - they've slowly added more actual content. Each expansion has a campaign, and each adds a few buildings here and there. I thought the guest buildings were pretty thin last time I played, and there's more now. They've added Paleobotany research. They've even added to the Dinosaur AI. The upcoming expansion will let you set up an on-rails safari like the first movie, plus adds flying Dinosaurs (just Pteranodons at first) and an Aviary, plus Compies which I'm guessing will have their own building.

So I fired it and saw there's even sandbox mode now. I jumped back into the campaign and beat the second island. Still some gripes - you can't transfer money or speed up time, so islands going broke need to be bailed out by rich islands mining fossils and letting the broke islands sell them which is slow and annoying.

But the Dinosaurs are still awesome. And that's what I'm here for.

When I played it, it was without any DLC at all, and I've wishlisted all of it because by god I had a blast with the base game. It's good to know they've added even more to the game, I'll have to keep my eye out for a sale on the extras.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    KoopahTroopah gifted me with a copy of Disco Elysium by way of @Evil Monkey! Classy fella asked for his prize to be passed on to me d'awwwwww
    6W0vBAS.png

Isy Disco Elysium is amazing. Worth playing if you get a chance. Your skill points become characters of sorts, chatting at you or even arguing with you in your running mental dialogue. It's an incredibly interesting and stylish (and funny) game. I need to stop getting distracted by mechs and borderlands and get back to it!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Congratulations to @Sumanai for winning $100 in Steam Gift Monies!!

Thank you very much, @KoopahTroopah <3<3<3

I honestly did not know there were prizes involved, I just stumbled upon your Extra Life event and noticed you were really close to the goal.
    The monies will be saved until the winter sale and then put to good use, if you know what I mean! :twisted:

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I didn't win Koopah's donation contest but he got me Battle Chasers Nightwar anyway.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh, hello new Steam thread that's already five pages deep by the time I find it. How's it going?

That was made five days ago, apparently. I guess I ain't checking in as much as I should be.

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    woke up this morning to discover @KoopahTroopah had hit me with Superhot which is apparently rather innovative....

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @Mugsley gifted me a $10 credit voucher for helping koops! Thanks wrizzik!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    hdheediqgjrw.png

@Karoz trying to gift me a life.

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    We all help each other (increase backlogs and have fun doing it) around here!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    A good friend of mine speedruns The Messenger (no glitches, or at least very few?) so that has colored my reception of the game vis-a-vis difficulty and content.

Granted, he's good at and loves 'vanias / platformers and I play Mickey's Castle of Illusion and get taken out by a toy soldier.

The Messenger?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I burned through the last left of Mysteries of the Sith with invincibility on because FUCK THOSE DOGS!

Everything else was fun though. Really hope that the success of the Mandalorian gives us more games along the lines of Babylon 5 Brown Sector.

Although the footage of Saw Gurrera's entry is the sort of thing I could get behind.
    Mugsley wrote: »
    We all help each other (increase backlogs and have fun doing it) around here!

When I was tasked with reading the rules, my dumb tween ass thought you only got paid when you landed on payday. Not passed.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Thinking out loud:

Is there way to reset steam achievments?

On a per game basis, not the whole account.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Thinking out loud:

Is there way to reset steam achievments?

On a per game basis, not the whole account.

SAM might be able to?

https://github.com/gibbed/SteamAchievementManager

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, the whole "EA returns to Steam!" thing (with the new Star Wars game) is a bit misleading. You still need an Origin account to link the game to, and it downloads/runs a thin version of Origin. On the plus(?) side, the price is the same so EA gets less money if you buy it through Steam.

Also the process of launching the thin client only works with the latest Steam UI, so us holdouts have to suck it up and update if we want to run the game via Steam/thin client. Otherwise you can do a backup/update/restore dance to get the game registered with Origin, then just run Origin.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, the whole "EA returns to Steam!" thing (with the new Star Wars game) is a bit misleading. You still need an Origin account to link the game to, and it downloads/runs a thin version of Origin. On the plus(?) side, the price is the same so EA gets less money if you buy it through Steam.

Also the process of launching the thin client only works with the latest Steam UI, so us holdouts have to suck it up and update if we want to run the game via Steam/thin client. Otherwise you can do a backup/update/restore dance to get the game registered with Origin, then just run Origin.

That’s exactly how Ubisoft games work/worked. You actually own the game on both platforms, owning it on Steam also gives you Steam achievements, cards, etc. But launching from Steam just launches your uPlay/Origin version in their lite launcher.

I really don’t see the problem, but I also don’t have a problem with Origin or uPlay.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Aww man. Knew this'd happen

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Note that VNN is basically a source that you should never trust.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Labeling him as a "source" is giving him more credit than he deserves. He's just a Valve fanboy (I mean that in the nicest way) who likes to speculate a lot.

Even that image posted is just him going "Hey, a bunch of Valve employed changed their twitter bios from "working on In the Valley of the Gods" to "working on games for Valve", what up with that?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Labeling him as a "source" is giving him more credit than he deserves. He's just a Valve fanboy (I mean that in the nicest way) who likes to speculate a lot.

Even that image posted is just him going "Hey, a bunch of Valve employed changed their twitter bios from "working on In the Valley of the Gods" to "working on games for Valve", what up with that?

Half-life 3 confirmed!

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

Half-life 3 confirmed!

OMG IT WAS 3 UPDATED BIOS IT MUST BE TRUE!!!

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It’s ben 15 years since HL2. There’s no way HL3 could even come close to living up to the hype.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm afraid to say anything, but there's only three hours left. If you'd like to do anything for my birthday, please consider donating to my Extra Life instead of gifts if you haven't yet.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Koopah

I'm gonna change my sig back to normal after this week and call it done. Thanks you lovely people!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    It’s ben 15 years since HL2. There’s no way HL3 could even come close to living up to the hype.

The problem with this train of thought is it doesn’t have to live up to the hype. It just needs to be a good game.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Duke Nukem Forever was fucking boss!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is that tweet supposed to imply ITVOG got canceled, or that those Campo Santo people are now working at Valve proper instead of their own game?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

The problem with this train of thought is it doesn’t have to live up to the hype. It just needs to be a good game.

It can't just be a good game anymore is the problem. Hype has a corrosive effect on a game the longer it's generated, and HL3 has been generating hype for fifteen years. No matter how good the game is if it ever actually comes out, it will never be good enough to live up to that hype and it will fail as a result.

Better to let it remain a meme where it can be the greatest game of all time, existing in that quantum state of uncertainty before the waveform gets collapsed.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

It can't just be a good game anymore is the problem. Hype has a corrosive effect on a game the longer it's generated, and HL3 has been generating hype for fifteen years. No matter how good the game is if it ever actually comes out, it will never be good enough to live up to that hype and it will fail as a result.

Better to let it remain a meme where it can be the greatest game of all time, existing in that quantum state of uncertainty before the waveform gets collapsed.

It's funny... Vampire: Bloodlines came out around the same time as Half-Life 2 (also famously on the same engine), and while obviously not as much of a mega-hit, became a beloved cult classic. But the thing is that no-one ever expected to see Bloodlines get a sequel, whereas Half-Life 3 has been rumbled about consistently for, if not the last fifteen years, then certainly the last, what, twelve or so since Episode 2.

And yet, here we are fifteen years later with Bloodlines 2 actually a thing that is on the horizon, while Half-Life 3 remains as ephemeral as ever it was.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bloodlines was a one-off, while Half-Life is a franchise that didn't just revolutionize the genre once but did it twice, which leads everyone to expect a third paradigm shift.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Bloodlines was a one-off, while Half-Life is a franchise that didn't just revolutionize the genre once but did it twice, which leads everyone to expect a third paradigm shift.

Which makes me think, what was the last big paradigm shift in that genre? Has there really been one since COD4?

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Which makes me think, what was the last big paradigm shift in that genre? Has there really been one since COD4?

Battle Royale

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Battle Royale
    Inbetween those two, open world stuff probably was one as well.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Battle Royale

My problem with this is that battle royale multiplayer existed well before it got popular in the FPS space.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Duke Nukem forever was just fine if you put yourself into the right mindset before playing it. It's basically an early 2000s shooter with 2011 graphical quality that tries really, really hard to be Half Life 2, almost to the point of becoming a parody game. The environmental interactions are nice, and it at least tries to do something new and interesting with some of the levels (the shrinking stuff was fun). It just spent too much time in development and was pulled in too many different directions as a result.

Half Life 3 could literally just be Half Life 2: Episode 2 but in the arctic and I would be just fine with that. Not every game has to be some gargantuan paradigm shift. Just make a solid game that is fun to play and cleans up that fucking kick to the teeth cliffhanger from the end of Episode 2 and you'll have done great work.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

It's been 15 years since Shenmue 2. Don't count Half-Life out!

• Options

Duke Nukem forever was just fine if you put yourself into the right mindset before playing it. It's basically an early 2000s shooter with 2011 graphical quality that tries really, really hard to be Half Life 2, almost to the point of becoming a parody game. The environmental interactions are nice, and it at least tries to do something new and interesting with some of the levels (the shrinking stuff was fun). It just spent too much time in development and was pulled in too many different directions as a result.

Half Life 3 could literally just be Half Life 2: Episode 2 but in the arctic and I would be just fine with that. Not every game has to be some gargantuan paradigm shift. Just make a solid game that is fun to play and cleans up that fucking kick to the teeth cliffhanger from the end of Episode 2 and you'll have done great work.

Now I want Prey 2.

• Options

I feel like one of the few people who was 'fine' with Phantom Menace since I wasn't expecting a great movie after a sixteen year gap. (Would have been fine with TFA if it wasn't so boring.)

But then, tempering expectations is a fool's pursuit.

• Options
    Getting 2 obsidian drops one after the other is delaying my mental progress in titan quest

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I feel like HL3 has become a meme and then that meme died, so if anything comes out, as long as it's good, that'll be good enough.
    Is that tweet supposed to imply ITVOG got canceled, or that those Campo Santo people are now working at Valve proper instead of their own game?

More that it's implying that ITVOG is in Valve development limbo now.

Truthfully, I mostly just miss Important if True and Idle Thumbs :(

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Half Life 2 killed Half Life 3 by requiring Steam. Why make games when you can not and make more?

This discussion has been closed.