As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scorpions and Shujenga: Tabletop Games Folded 1000 Times

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I can only imagine that's going to be expensive as hell

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I can only imagine that's going to be expensive as hell

Im betting double their current prices.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would be stunned if Star Wars wasn't making justifiable money especially bundled with the "keep brand good will so star wars board games aren't effected" factor.

FFG sacked off the GW license, and that made them money too

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    No way, painting my hero forge minin is what makes it mine and mine alone

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The biggest loss for FFG's RPG dept would be L5R. Genesys is mostly a homebrew system, and SW is functionally complete. But L5R has a lot of future sourcebook material.

If this is true, though, Inhave 3 SW specialization books I should pick up...

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    At least I noticed that they finally got around to adding a Bayushi Bushi school

I kind of want to pick up the L5R stuff

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Time for stupid interpersonal drama in my every-other-Tuesday game.

One player fucking sucks. I'm not going to go into detail about how, but trying to share a game with him is pretty joyless, and apparently all of the other players have approached the DM privately with a "him or me" ultimatum. The DM has had several lengthy conversations with this player, but none of the advice seems to penetrate.

The wrinkle is, the problem player is my little brother, and the DM is our older brother. None of the other players are related to us, but they've held out for as long as they have because they appreciate the awkward situation our DM is in. Especially through the holidays, where we were spending a lot of time in physical proximity to each other. Nobody wanted the DM to kick our bro out of the game and then have to go to Christmas at his house.

Tonight is our first session in the new year, and the problem player is dropping out. I haven't had a chance to ask the DM exactly what went down, but I think the discussion may have become more heated than previous attempts to talk him into changing his ways. I'm in no hurry to pester the problem player for his side of the story, because to put it bluntly, we aren't close, and if I'd known in advance that he was joining this game I probably would have invented a scheduling excuse.

Anyway, we're doing a reboot session 0 tonight, getting together to talk about if we want to stick with the same characters or mix things up, continue on the current storyline or start fresh, etc. In addition to the personality clash, the DM just hasn't been happy with how some of the experimental aspects of this current story have shaped up. I've got a Rogue who's mechanically very solid, but his personality has never come together, partly because my dissatisfaction with the state of the game kept me from putting in the effort. Going to see what the other players think about some other ideas I've got, but if we can figure out a way to keep things fresh with the reboot, I may give the Rogue another chance.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sounds like -- at least for now -- you've solved the main problem with the game. It sucks when it's someone you're tied to.

I will say that it's amazing how much easier character and story stuff flow when you're with a group that's comfortable and clicking than not.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm going to order a colored HeroForge mini just to have one even though I don't have an IRL game going, I just fuckin' know it.

• Options
    Yeah I just saw the email with their preview of it and I'll probably get one to mess with it but I love painting my own

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well I just went ahead and got all the sourcebooks on D&D Beyond. I hope I use it to its fullest and also that it doesn't get abandoned like the 4e one (it will). Still I've spent more for less digital content before, sad as that is.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Yeah, I would be stunned if Star Wars wasn't making justifiable money especially bundled with the "keep brand good will so star wars board games aren't effected" factor.

FFG sacked off the GW license, and that made them money too

Yeah because part of the GW license was "you can't make miniature wargames" and FFG was like "well actually we're going to make more money with SW miniature wargames than with the GW license properties" and they were right.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I went ahead and got the SW books I needed (I don't care about books with movie character stats or gear reprints...). I'm not as worried about unowned L5R books since FFG owns that IP and can sell PDFs.

• Options
    It's not like FFG firing their RPG staff means they are going to not keep their already written RPG stuff in print.

I mean, I should probably grab some of the older Star Wars RPG stuff because that might have already gotten several reprints and they won't do any more, but like, in general? Ain't going to worry unless they say it's also kaput on all their other SW-branded games.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    g6tydsij7cpg.png

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh man I really need to get that book, Lancer keeps getting better and better

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lancer looks to have been the coolest roleplaying game of 2019 and is only growing in this new year.

I’m Shanghai-ing a couple of pals onboard my ship to playtest a fairytale inspired roleplaying game I’m making, and as of today the party consists of:
    A fallen star.
    The daughter of the Dark Lord.

Nice.

I confess, though my job keeps me busy, I feel inspired to really go for it this year after seeing all the work Abbadon is putting out even after Kill Six Billion Demons!

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    As per my earlier posts in this thread, shortly before the holidays I was asked by my D&D group to GM a game/campaign. I threw out a bunch of ideas, but the one they settled on was a dungeon crawling series of adventured tied together by the players running a 1-800-GOT-JUNK type ruin/dungeon cleaning business. I've got a big stack of dungeons and a whole whack of fun ideas to tie things together, including making good use of the Acquisitions Inc. book one of the other players owns.

I've come up with a short list of house rules based on some patterns I saw in the games I participated in as well as some feedback from the players. I was wondering if anyone saw any problems likely arising from any of these:
      1. Spells (and abilities duplicating the effects of spells) that involve teleportation cannot penetrate to an area that is entirely enclosed by more than 1 ft. of solid stone, 3 ft. of wood or earth, one inch of metal, and/or a thin coating of lead. The same restriction applies to scrying effects and most detection spells. This guideline, not only curtails “scry-and-fry” tactics, but also provides a rationale for the prevalence of both castles and dungeons in a game world in which dragons exist.

Kings therefore live in stone castles, not for defensibility from armies, but for secrecy; if a need to teleport or use scrying magic comes up, they can go to an outside room and open a leaded-glass window, but while inside an inner room with stone walls and a lead-lined door, their councils are protected from eavesdropping and teleporting assassins. Many wizards likewise live in stone towers with designated divining and transportation rooms open to the outside. Tombs and cultist headquarters are typically found in dungeons underground for similar reasons.

Dimension door effects within a dungeon or building itself are normally not affected, as the doorways, rooms, and corridors provide “open” pathways of effect within the complex itself. However, rooms with stone walls and thick stone or metal doors (such as all of the Tomb of Horrors beyond the Chapel of Evil and Stone Gate) would fall under these guidelines.

Specific exceptions to this guideline include discern location and teleportation circle, both of which are of higher level and are able to circumvent the protection normally granted by solid materials.
      2. Eliminate racial ability adjustments. The intent here is to reduce the impact of min-maxing on the core statistical underpinnings of the game. The argument for this, is we are going to be playing in magical worlds built not on our world of atoms and electrons, but instead on a world comprised of the aether made up of the classical elements. A small warrior gains their immense physical strength through their manipulation of their personal aether and not just because they’ve been doing forecep curls since they were 10 years old.
      3. Going with #2, the option to select the Heroic Array of stats (18/16/14/12/10/8) and distribute them as desired. Note that if racial adjustments are used, then the array becomes 15/14/13/12/10/8
      4. Character combat movement defaults to 30 ft per round and only comes in 10 ft/round increments. We are probably going to be doing theatre of the mind and quick sketches, so the 5 ft/round increments are mostly ignored anyways.
      5. When rolling for HP that player can opt to take the average, but they must choose to do so before rolling and cannot change this choice.
      6. Healing Potions can be drunk as a bonus action. Feed someone else a potion as an action. It allows people to still perform actions and feel heroic, while giving the option to make strategic potion use viable.
      7. Use the Talent Tree system with the Variant 1: Starting and Bonus Talent Points option. The intention here is to allow a greater degree of customization and special tricks among the party members. One other option would be to allow a player to opt to use the system at character creation or use the traditional system, but don’t allow mixing & matching.

These are all going to be voted on by the players during session 0, but I was hoping to weed out any potential problems before thowing these in front of the larger group of players.

Caedwyr on
    • Options
      admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      2-6 all seem fairly straightforward and I have nothing to say about them. 7 really depends on your group -- are these experienced 5E players with at least a few characters under their belt? If so it seems cool, if not I'd probably avoid putting it in front of them. Similarly 1 makes a lot of sense but seems very specifically high-level focused and will only make sense to experienced players.

• Options
      FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
      Any ideas on what the spring D&D book is?

• Options
      Part of the rationale for #1 is that we are going to be playing a dungeon delving game and looking through the Player's Handbook, I see a fair number of spells starting at spell level 3 that quickly start to obsolete the concept of a dungeon/castle/wizard tower. While I can start layering all sorts of Forbiddance and Hallowed effects everywhere, I'd prefer it if there was a non-magical reason for these places to exist in the first place organically, rather than something that only tangentially makes sense so long as you don't squint too hard.

#7 would be an option that a single player could elect to use, but they can't mix and match this and the traditional Feat system. We have a mix of experience levels and I wanted to promote creative problem solving approaches, which the Talent system seems to support to a greater degree than the much more limited Feat system in the Player's Handbook.

• Options
      DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      Fencingsax wrote: »

I'm hoping Spelljammer, or Planescape, or an entirely new setting. Failing that, something like a Xanathar's Guide: 2 would be nice

JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
      Darmak wrote: »

I'm hoping Spelljammer, or Planescape, or an entirely new setting. Failing that, something like a Xanathar's Guide: 2 would be nice

They were going to announce it the other day but delayed it till tomorrow.

• Options
      A Planescape book set X years after we last saw the setting would get me to buy a D&D book, for sure.

• Options
      FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
      iguanacus wrote: »

They were going to announce it the other day but delayed it till tomorrow.

That's why I was asking.

• Options
      Alt post: What can change the nature of a man?

A Canny Cutter’s Guide to Sigil and Beyond

• Options
      A Planescape book set X years after we last saw the setting would get me to buy a D&D book, for sure.

Planewalker.com did some good work at generating updated Planescape content. I'm not sure if they've done anything for 5E, however.

• Options
      I used to be on there! Those were the days... I don’t even know if it’s running now. I should check.

• Options

If its a Spelljammer book I don't know what I'll do with myself. Ravnica, Ebberon AND Spelljammer settings? My favorite 3 flavors.

My guess though is something like a Xanathar 2.0

• Options
      ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular

When asked, I confidently state Spelljammer.

I have no specific reason to say that, but if I say it often enough and confidently enough, maybe it will become true.

• Options
      JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
      GIVE👏ME👏DARK👏SUN

• Options
      3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
      If they release a 5e Dark Sun I will immediately teleport my party onto Athas with no forewarning or debate.

• Options
      tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
      Honestly, why not bring back Greyhawk? There are those who loved the setting.

• Options
      StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Huh. You learn something new every day.

• Options
      PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
      Council of Wyrms' time to shine, baybee

• Options
      DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Fuck it, throw in Mystara and Hollow World while we're dreaming of shit we'd like to see

JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
      edited January 2020
      Council of Wyrms' time to shine, baybee

I owned that as a kid despite not playing a real D&D game until 2019
      I like dragons ok

BahamutZERO on
      BahamutZERO.gif
    • Options
      SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
      If I had to choose between Armor Astir and Lancer to run a mech game. What would you all recommend?

8EVmPzM.jpg
    • Options
      Jacobkosh wrote: »
      GIVE👏ME👏DARK👏SUN

NOT👏UNLESS👏YOU👏ALSO👏GIVE👏ME👏A👏DARK👏SUN👏CAMPAIGN👏TO👏PLAY👏IN

This discussion has been closed.