Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    - there's no real tutorial or anything
    In the Year of Our Twenty 2020, you are expected to enter a brand-new genre with full knowledge of that genre, because it is assumed that everyone either streams or watches streams for at least 8 hours out of the day, and so are in the front row when a new game type emerges.

Also neckbeards complained about "handholding" enough times that some devs now think that it makes a game more HardxCore (==better) to not explain anything.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    "The best story is the one that the player creates for themselves, not the one that the developers tell them. So optimally, developers should tell them as little as possible. Nothing, even!"

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    aw, I lost synch or something. Game just sat there for a couple of minutes until I exited the program. Now it's trying to rejoin the game, but I don't see that working.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Have played about 2 hours of Journey to the Savage Planet now.

It's neat and fun.

It's an exploration, metroidvania thing. There's crafting but it's for specific upgrades, like the grappling hook or a charge shot for your pistol. Mostly you wander around, scanning flora and fauna, shooting the occasional aggressive fauna, and using your new powers to explore more of the planet, collecting mats to make upgrades. Your super chirpy, mildly condescending AI does all the talking and there are FMV videos from the CEO of the (4th best) corporation that sent you there and FMV commercials for their products, too. It's very silly, there's lots of fart and butthole humor, which might not be for everyone. It seems to know what it is and leans into it, like you get your pistol and the AI comes on says something like, "Great, you got your gun, you're ready to colonize!" It is a supposedly lifeless planet but uh-oh, there seems to have been an advanced civilization here at some point...Lots of solid animations for your actions.

It's good so far, it's $30 and apparently the golden path is like 6 hours or so but if you want to wander and find stuff (like I found a little puzzle are last night and solved a thing and got a rare resource) it can be double that.

Oh, Epic Store and consoles, BTW.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I might be into a trusted developer telling me literally nothing like comes up to me from behind real quiet while I'm waiting for a bus like "Psst, hey download this shit"

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

The Pedestrian is a 2.5D side scrolling puzzle platformer. You are The Pedestrian! Enter into a dynamic 3D world with stunning graphics and challenging puzzles.

You play by rearranging and reconnecting public signs in order to explore and advance through each engaging environment.

Jan 29 - The Pedestrian (Puzzle-Platformer)

pfft how pedestrian

seriously though this seems kinda neat

I thought that had a really cool and original presentation, but then they started moving the levels around and my jaw dropped.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

God this game really is like if you took the arty self-importance of a particularly opaque novel and filtered it through a nerd-ass medium

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Yeah, it rules.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah gimme that nerdy artist shit.

Straight into my veins.

• Options
    Oh I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I’m just saying I got a really specific self-satisfied vibe off that screen grab in particular

It surprised me how much it reminded me of other things

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I’m just saying I got a really specific self-satisfied vibe off that screen grab in particular

It surprised me how much it reminded me of other things

Well, they did say that they were influenced by David Lynch among others.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2020
    Video games are often so aggressively artless or downright contemptuous of the very idea of art that I think it engenders a lamentable if understandable tendency to oversteer in the other direction and make stuff that's very kind of, confrontational or showy about having different subcultural alliegiances.

It's like if you walked into a bookstore and the four walls were dominated top to bottom with nothing but Star Wars tie-ins, bad fantasy trilogies, Tom Clancy novels, and hentai and then in the corner was a dusty spinner rack holding one copy apiece of Gravity's Rainbow, Naked Lunch, and Beloved.

And then here's me, turning sad circles looking for the John le Carre books.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Hentai is art

Not all hentai is art, but all art is hentai

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    It's like if you walked into a bookstore and the four walls were dominated top to bottom with nothing but Star Wars tie-ins, bad fantasy trilogies, Tom Clancy novels, and hentai and then in the corner was a dusty spinner rack holding one copy apiece of Gravity's Rainbow, Naked Lunch, and Beloved.
    How the fuck did you get into my apartment, I'm calling the cops.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Hentai is fart

fixed

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hentai is art
    Anime is blood

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Video games are often so aggressively artless or downright contemptuous of the very idea of art that I think it engenders a lamentable if understandable tendency to oversteer in the other direction and make stuff that's very kind of, confrontational or showy about having different subcultural alliegiances.

And then here's me, turning sad circles looking for the John le Carre books.

Many thanks for expressing my sentiments far better and more eloquently than I ever could, Jacob

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    bad art is still art even if you don't like it

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'd like to see you prove that tough guy

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Technically, every thing everybody does is art.

Including... you're posts, pip.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hmm, yes.

Pip is posts.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Technically, every thing everybody does is art.

Including... you're posts, pip.

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm, I'm pretty sure Roger Ebert's ghost would disagree.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    roger ebert's ghost is too busy screaming to disagree

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    bad art is still art even if you don't like it

i agree!

when I say artless i'm not making any grand claims about something being or not falling into that category of human expression, it just means that I think the thing is clumsy and lacking in grace

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Is art measured by weight or volume

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Is art measured by weight or volume

Flux.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    pvxhh7mab5e4.png

Where can I report the Steam UI for cyberbullying?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    qcAw7oH.png

0/10 game deeply regret the life choices that have led me to this juncture

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    there's times i've considered hitting the thumbs down on factorio but mostly from an oh god save yourselves, go on without me sort of way.

they need a 3rd option for "yes, but consider the danger"

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Starting to get a feel for DOOM and FPS again. That game just plays so well. Rip and Tear.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'll give games i love a thumbs down if theres a game breaking bug.

"I love this game but theres a common game breaking bug thats been in it since early access, I'll change my review to a reccommended when its fixed but i can't honestly reccommend a game in this state."

I'll never get the chance to change my review. Sometimes I'll go back and add in more complaints about bugs tho.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Resident Evil 2 stopped being pretty good when I got to a point where there wasn't any ammo for guns I had and there were three giant unavoidable monsters between me and progression. Thanks for the four hundred smg ammo guys. I haven't got an smg nor do I have a usb dongle to unlock it.

I just turned on infinite ammo and stopped caring.

Then at the final boss I turned on infinite health too because fuck that.

It was ok.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2 stopped being pretty good when I got to a point where there wasn't any ammo for guns I had and there were three giant unavoidable monsters between me and progression. Thanks for the four hundred smg ammo guys. I haven't got an smg nor do I have a usb dongle to unlock it.

I just turned on infinite ammo and stopped caring.

Then at the final boss I turned on infinite health too because fuck that.

It was ok.

The older I've got, the happier I am to play things on easy/cheat.

I used to be one of those fuckwits who cared about gamer cred. WHY YOUNG KARL, THIS SHIT ISN'T IMPORTANT.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Also, the response to WC3 reforged has been hilarious in its vitriol.

Current metacritic user score: 1.6

Warcraft III: Reforged is a Bug-Ridden Mess and Gamers are Absolutely Livid

Karl on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't know how they messed it up so badly.

• Options
    I'm always amazed that buggy games make it out of QA.

I've worked QA. You have to document everything. Blizzard absolutely knew there were issues when they launched. At least have a day 1 patch you bunch of fucking amateurs.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm always amazed that buggy games make it out of QA.

I've worked QA. You have to document everything. Blizzard absolutely knew there were issues when they launched. At least have a day 1 patch you bunch of fucking amateurs.

Yeah, someone decided to ignore bugs or decided they weren't a priority. Plus the missing features I have to assume were cut for time.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I don't know how they messed it up so badly.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp, they retroactively killed the old WC3 client, netcode, ladder functionality and oh they added this sweet little cherry on top of that too.

Basically, any custom maps made on WC3:RM are now owned outright by Blizzard.

I like dan's answer to this honestly.

• Options
    We own all the shit you create using our tools

That's a bold move. I get the whole "we take a slice of the profits because it's our engine/game you're using" argument.

But....full ownership? How is anyone going to agree with that?

This discussion has been closed.