As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't Stop Youtubin'

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/1_mZggt6aUg

I just wanted to he part of the cool kids club

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the cool kids club: we prey at night, we stalk at night

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I was born in the Year Of the Rat and I do not endorse this message.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Its also been defended multiple times in court that you can burn the flag in protest.

Honestly i think it desecrates the concept of the flag more when folks use it as 90% of their wardrobe.

Yeah, people very conveniently forget those parts of the flag code all the time:

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.

The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    【糸奇はな/Itoki Hana】74【Composed by Toby Fox】 3:43
    https://youtu.be/poKI_MY0Bkw
    糸奇はな Itoki Hana 「74 」- From 1st Album「PRAY」
    Composed & Guest Vocal by Toby Fox (https://twitter.com/tobyfox / https://undertale.com/)
    Lyrics & Arrangement by Toby Fox & Itoki Hana
    Illustration by Bani-chan (https://twitter.com/bossmonsterbani / https://onigiribani.wixsite.com/bani)

Peas on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I can think of no more wretched disrespectful use of a flag than to garb Kid Rock's ragged carcass

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I can think of no more wretched disrespectful use of a flag than to garb Kid Rock's ragged carcass
    But... he's an American Badass!

sig.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    His ass is pretty terrible, I imagine.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    on some level we should really disrespect flags more

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Mihn is confusing the US flag code, which is just the official protocols for how to respectfully display the flag, with actual laws.

the flag code is an actual law

they just don't try to enforce it because most of it is really obviously unconstitutional

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    There's a lyric in the song Cowboy where Kid Rock says "they told us to leave but bet they can't make us" and it always makes me think he's like...bragging about getting kicked out of a Wendys.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    There's a lyric in the song Cowboy where Kid Rock says "they told us to leave but bet they can't make us" and it always makes me think he's like...bragging about getting kicked out of a Wendys.

• Options
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    kid rock actually is what certain people think rage against the machine allegedly is

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    No one is more authentic

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    "fuck authority" *blurs out name of authority*

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    "fuck authority" *blurs out name of authority*

I have to give credit where credit is due to Kid Rock, he (or rather, his media team) are being proactive in not inadvertently creating a campaign of targeted harassment against a judge.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Don’t mess with Kid Rock his dad owns a dealership.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Whoever it is that insists on occasionally posting Peter Coffins videos in these threads:

b2zerh1tgav1.png

Consider this your official notice to knock that shit off.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    He glosses over soy milk's problem of growing it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXD7YOoHpAs

• Options
    Whoever it is that insists on occasionally posting Peter Coffins videos in these threads:

b2zerh1tgav1.png

The only part of this tweet that's wrong is the word "justifiably" because neolibs disingenuously using identity politics to continue their "woke capitalism" and then doing everything to crush the poor is absolutely isolating and a breeding ground for fascism. If you don't realize this you better start realizing this because Steve Bannon's been on it for years.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/EX_JQhjrtzY
    Black holes are a hassle

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/ASuo4DM6MT0
    It was a wild time

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

b2zerh1tgav1.png

The only part of this tweet that's wrong is the word "justifiably" because neolibs disingenuously using identity politics to continue their "woke capitalism" and then doing everything to crush the poor is absolutely isolating and a breeding ground for fascism. If you don't realize this you better start realizing this because Steve Bannon's been on it for years.

Describing games like Depression Quest or Gone Home as "woke capitalism" seems pretty off base to me.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

b2zerh1tgav1.png

Describing games like Depression Quest or Gone Home as "woke capitalism" seems pretty off base to me.

I would not describe Zoe Quinn as a neo lib

• Options
    To be clear. Neo libs absolutely love capitalism more than their own ethics almost as much as they like to feign giving a shit about human rights. Out of context that tweet is pretty spot on, which is why context is important

• Options
    Yeah I mean I can't recall goobergrape being mad about any actual mainstream games, it was pretty much all indie games made by women, queer people, and PoC that were ruining everything because Kotaku acknowledged they existed

• Options

b2zerh1tgav1.png

Which is why I didn't do that? Neoliberalism is the performative act of co-opting social justice and civil rights movements while pushing for austerity that often ironically systemically crushes marginalized groups. It's best summed up by this picture of Pete Buttigiege.

anti-homeless-gay-rock-has-got-to-be-peak-neo-liberalism-63537502.png

I mean how the fuck could Depression Quest even be capitalist? It's a free TWINE game played in a browser. That's part of what made the alt-right anger at it so stupid. It was literally costing Zoe Quin money.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    yeah, they later got mad at people Anita Sarkissian "infiltrating" AAA games but the initial blowback was against indie creators

Anyway, saying that the people of Gamer Gate "had some points" is dangerous fucking talking and is up there with people who still beat the drum that it was about journalistic integrity

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options

b2zerh1tgav1.png

Which is why I didn't do that? Neoliberalism is the performative act of co-opting social justice and civil rights movements while pushing for austerity that often ironically systemically crushes marginalized groups. It's best summed up by this picture of Pete Buttigiege.

I mean how the fuck could Depression Quest even be capitalist? It's a free TWINE game played in a browser. That's part of what made the alt-right anger at it so stupid. It was literally costing Zoe Quin money.

you said
    neolibs disingenuously using identity politics to continue their "woke capitalism" and then doing everything to crush the poor is absolutely isolating and a breeding ground for fascism

and I struggle to understand how it at all relates to goobergrape

because as I said, goobergrape wasn't mad at the neolibs and their "woke capitalism"

unless neolibs and "woke capitalism" somehow made Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian into targets

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

b2zerh1tgav1.png

Everything about that tweet is wrong. It's also important to point out the declaration,
    "neolibs using identity politics to continue their "woke capitalism" and then doing everything to crush the poor"
    has nothing to do with a tweet about gamergate, or that groups actual relationship with feminists.

Neoliberalism is a economic policy/philosophy completely capable of promoting the interests of large business over the interest of the average or impoverished individual, without ever connecting the dot to feminism.

The Clintons have economic policy that largely benefits corporate shareholders and the wealthy, and that sucks.
    The fact that they would push for public policy for equal wages for women, or access to birth control, family leave, etc. isn't a negative, simply because they also have shitty economic policy. You would be foolish to say, The Clintons are reason for why there were misogynists.
    I'm using The Clintons as an example of a neoliberal, but you could literally pick anyone.

Gamergate, an online deeply misogynistic harassment campaign over the awarding of a independent game award to a free twine game developer, has no bearing on neoliberalism.

They can't use the mere existence of shitty economic policy as an excuse for sending death threats while doxing personal, sexual and professional information of a marginalized game developer.

TLDR

The tweet suggests the fetishization of feminism (virtually indistinguishable from publicly being a feminist) is the basis for the growth of gamergate.

Misogyny is the basis for the growth of gamergate. It would be an even worse situation on that specific front, without even the section of neoliberals who happen to be feminists*, with economic policies we disagree with, who have used their positions of power to set up state laws around doxing, push for platforms for victims- ultimately pushing their collective weight for the tone of what is and isn't mainstream.

*there is a distinction here because there are absolutely neoliberal misogynists who participated in that harassment campaign

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

b2zerh1tgav1.png

you said
    neolibs disingenuously using identity politics to continue their "woke capitalism" and then doing everything to crush the poor is absolutely isolating and a breeding ground for fascism

because as I said, goobergrape wasn't mad at the neolibs and their "woke capitalism"

unless neolibs and "woke capitalism" somehow made Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian into targets

If anything, gg'ers were claiming that indie devs and journalists who they deemed to be "collaborators" were subverting capitalism by giving attention to games that--in their minds--would not otherwise deserve that attention.

Like, the core of the initial lie was that ZQ bribed someone with sex for a good review. That is not a lie based on frustration with capitalism. That's a lie based on anger that someone may have "cheated" and not done capitalism properly.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

b2zerh1tgav1.png

you said

Decades of neoliberalism fostered the environment right wing grifters like Steve Bannon and Milo needed to grow GamerGoop.

It was then weaponized against the likes of Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian.

One is a symptom the other is the disease.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    What I'm gathering is that if we destroy videogames, capitalism will follow

This discussion has been closed.