As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Fight the good fight, join the S-Team today!

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Probably gonna pick this up for Karateka and Double Dragon alone: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/dotemu-classics-bundle

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Skullgirls is really good if you're interested at all in fighting games. It's got one of the best tutorials/introductions to how to play fighting games out there.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Wait, what game is this??? Someone made a Hot Wheels racing game?

Forza Horizon 3, which has a Hot Wheels DLC. It fuckin rips.

https://youtu.be/MB6sbL3ZLOs

Huh, thinking about those cartoons I kept seeing ads for.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Skullgirls is really good if you're interested at all in fighting games. It's got one of the best tutorials/introductions to how to play fighting games out there.

Counter-point: when I just straight could not input the commands as they wanted me to in their tutorial, I threw up my hands in frustration assuming that they were expecting me to learn all of this in order to even be able to play the game, and I wanted no part in it. I uninstalled the game from its . . . demo? Free Weekend, maybe? And never looked back.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    Admittedly the tutorial combo made a lot of beginners quit, but you actually don't have to learn most of the game mechanics to have fun with the game. 6 Button fighting game on a 4 Button Controller can be a pain though.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Skullgirls has a very good tutorial compared to most of its peers, but it's still a fighting game (and a rather involved one at that), and no tutorial really is going to get you over that first hurdle of "Step 1: fighting games are opaque nonsense."

Under Night has probably the best tutorial in the business that that shit is still arcane gibberish to me, because anime gonna anime.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

She looks dope. Grats.

Looks purple!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952 wrote: »

She looks dope. Grats.

Looks purple!

This is purple.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Big thanks to @bloodatonement for a mystery code that turned out to be a copy of The Surge! Neat! I'm wary of Souls-likes since my dodge rolling/reading enemy signals/dance fighting is not the best. But Smokestacks write up certainly intrigued me (especially the single player only aspect), so I'm keen to give it a whirl.

Thanks again! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    If anyone I know would sell people on cutting limbs off their victims and wearing them, its @SmokeStacks

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Big thanks to @bloodatonement for a mystery code that turned out to be a copy of The Surge! Neat! I'm wary of Souls-likes since my dodge rolling/reading enemy signals/dance fighting is not the best. But Smokestacks write up certainly intrigued me (especially the single player only aspect), so I'm keen to give it a whirl.

Thanks again! :)

I recently got it on the PS4 and it's pretty fun. You can even crawl across the map carefully targeting and collecting any items you don't have. And yeah, no multiplayer was a good selling point for me.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Wew, finally completed a run of Factorio!

"You can beat Factorio?" Yes, you build and launch a rocket. They tell you right there at the beginning of every sandbox run!

It doesn't make itself easy, of course. You start off with naught but a combustion-powered mining drill, a stone brick furnace and a handful of steel plates. You must mine stone, copper and iron, smelt the metals into more plates, build more drills and furnaces and power them with wood and/or coal.

From there you graduate to electric drills, power lines running from a coal-powered steam plant. You can then build Research Labs and feed "research packets" into them, letting you develop higher-level technologies in automation. Splitters and underground belts are powerful tools in managing your conveyor system while assemblers take in materials to create new stuff, lifting the production load off your own manual crafting.

And then the factory grows. It starts with you automating the production of red science packs and feeding them into a daisy chain of laboratories, hoping to shorten the time required to get that juicy new tech. Then you have to start producing a second kind of science pack (blue) made of conveyor belts and robotic arms in order to research faster conveyor belts. Oh, what's this? Oil? Should I just run one long pipeline from the pumpjacks in the field, or maybe lay rails and have a train deliver it, pumping the crude out of the fluid wagons and into the refineries, providing you with delicious petroleum gas.

Twenty hours later and you've finally got that nuclear reactor online, just in time to retool your uranium centrifuges from refinement to enrichment because what the hell else are you supposed to do with six chests full of U-238? Now that electricity is no longer an issue, you should replace your old string of coal-burning furnaces with a fresh field of electric ones, serviced by a complex switchyard of trains because you depleted your starting ore deposits five hours ago. Four lanes each of iron and copper and your circuit board assemblers are still starved for resources, but you'd sooner run into a biters' nest (did I mention the biters?) than uproot your early game spaghetti and replace it with a proper Main Bus system, let alone fill up on grenades, dynamite and landfillers to clear enough space to start a new factory...

...There's a reason my friend calls it Cracktorio, y'all.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    I don't know how long I just sat & played Dead by Daylight in one sitting... but I have no life & no other game that I'm interested in playing, so fuck it. I feel like it might have been 12 hours.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    For some reason I was under the assumption Wolcen only had a default male player character.

Good to see it has prettiest princess dressup simulator

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Heatwave wrote: »
    For some reason I was under the assumption Wolcen only had a default male player character.

Good to see it has prettiest princess dressup simulator

They had a female character a while back, then got rid of her for the last year or two (or three?) of early access. Because if you have to pull one of your models so you can focus your beta on just making armor for one, naturally you pull the female one, amirite? :razz:

Anyway, she was available as an option again on release.

There's also some degree of character customization - a handful of faces, a dozen or so hairstyles, solid range of skin/hair/eye colors. Not bad at all for an ARPG.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    When I was a little kid I was really poor (I mean I'm still kinda poor, only now it's my fault), and I fucking loooooved Hot Wheels cars. I had a bunch (the benefits of enjoying a cheap toy, back then they were like $0.75 a piece), cars, tracks, you name it. Still though, I always wanted more, and it was to my great childhood cobsternation that I could not get hundreds of cars, thousands of cars, untold numbers of cars in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Anyway, sometime back in my early 20s I was thinking about my childhood desire to become a Hotwheels car baron, and I realized something - I was an adult, I made my own money, I could buy Hotwheels cars whenever I wanted to! I didn't actually do it, but it was this really cool, almost liberating feeling.

Anyway, now I am an ancient old man, but every once in a while, when I'm having a truly shitty day, I'll pick up a Hot Wheels car at the grocery store or wherever, and it always cheers me up. I have a couple on my desk, but outside of that I usually give them away or save them for Christmas toy drives. Still though, it always cheers me up.

Anyway, any hints or tips people can give me before starting Mobster Hunter?

Don’t write anything down.0

Watch Pro Jared's youtube guide to Monster Hunter.

There’s also these if you have questions about useless things beside sword and shieldweapons.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    When I was a little kid I was really poor (I mean I'm still kinda poor, only now it's my fault), and I fucking loooooved Hot Wheels cars. I had a bunch (the benefits of enjoying a cheap toy, back then they were like $0.75 a piece), cars, tracks, you name it. Still though, I always wanted more, and it was to my great childhood cobsternation that I could not get hundreds of cars, thousands of cars, untold numbers of cars in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Anyway, sometime back in my early 20s I was thinking about my childhood desire to become a Hotwheels car baron, and I realized something - I was an adult, I made my own money, I could buy Hotwheels cars whenever I wanted to! I didn't actually do it, but it was this really cool, almost liberating feeling.

Anyway, now I am an ancient old man, but every once in a while, when I'm having a truly shitty day, I'll pick up a Hot Wheels car at the grocery store or wherever, and it always cheers me up. I have a couple on my desk, but outside of that I usually give them away or save them for Christmas toy drives. Still though, it always cheers me up.

Anyway, any hints or tips people can give me before starting Mobster Hunter?

Don’t write anything down.0

Watch Pro Jared's youtube guide to Monster Hunter.

There’s also these if you have questions about useless things beside sword and shieldweapons.

These are ads, not tutorials.

...I am okay with this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    According to SteamDB Black Desert Online will be free to keep on Steam begining next February 27th. The promo will last until March 2nd:
    https://steamdb.info/sub/434999/

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Found the solution to my sword nun problems in Code Vein. Forget spells, forget parries, I slapped on Atlas Code along with a zweihander big enough to smack God and appropriate Veil then just blocked their hits before obliterating them with several tons of steel swung at high speed.

Got through Not Anor Londo, a vision inside my own head, and all the way through to when the plot starts to really kick off. Got plenty of exploring to do now!

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Found the solution to my sword nun problems in Code Vein. Forget spells, forget parries, I slapped on Atlas Code along with a zweihander big enough to smack God and appropriate Veil then just blocked their hits before obliterating them with several tons of steel swung at high speed.

Got through Not Anor Londo, a vision inside my own head, and all the way through to when the plot starts to really kick off. Got plenty of exploring to do now!

"Plot"?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Coffey wrote: »
    I don't know how long I just sat & played Dead by Daylight in one sitting... but I have no life & no other game that I'm interested in playing, so fuck it. I feel like it might have been 12 hours.

It’s so good! It has bumped out all my other games with daily quests, now that they have the tome to give me lots of weird tasks to work on.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Coffey wrote: »

It’s so good! It has bumped out all my other games with daily quests, now that they have the tome to give me lots of weird tasks to work on.

Yeah, I was doing chapter 3 quests all day. Trying to knock out all of the Survivor ones. I did quite a few of them. Trying to get every Survivor to level 50 right now & then I'll work on getting each of them all Perks. Right now, the only Survivors I have that have all the Perks unlocked are Jake & Meg. I kind of want to switch my "main" to Ash but I'm not sure yet. I just unlocked Jeff via Shards instead of buying the DLC with real money. So I only have three Survivors locked still.

I've been running Detective's Hunch, Inner Strength, Borrowed Time & We're Gonna Live Forever as my Perks. Inner Strength to heal myself so I don't have to take a Medkit or use Self Care because it's so slow & so many Killers are using Sloppy Butcher. Detective's Hunch to find Totems, for both Inner Strength & to counter No One Escapes Death as it's everywhere right now. Detective's Hunch is my flex Perk right now though & sometimes I switch it out for something else like Kindre or Lithe. Borrowed Time because he helps when trying to get stacks on WGLF & I run that one just for extra Bloodpoints since it feels like all I'm every doing is farming.

I've completely given up on paying any attention to Rank. Once you climb to the top, you realize it's not worth being there because the games are a lot less fun. I like Purple ranks the most. The PTB came out yesterday & the new Killer is super fun. I don't know how good he is but he's fun. A lot of comparisons to The Huntress, although not as good. Which is how I feel about Oni: he's super cool & fun... but he just feels like a worse Hillbilly.

I was duo queuing with a friend a couple weeks back & having a lot of fun with that - I definitely feel stronger with voice communication - but I think I prefer solo queue now. I can do my own thing & I don't feel like I'm potentially being sandbagged. It might be different if I were playing with a good teammate, not a fairly new one. Too many times I was getting farmed off a hook without Borrowed Time & immediately getting downed again. So, yeah, not doing that anymore. I was getting too salty & felt like I had to keep repeating myself with "stop doing that, you don't have BT..."

I could probably write about the game all day since I play it a lot & don't really have anyone to talk to about it. The official forums are trash. The Subreddit for the game is trash. Twitter is just people shilling their Twitch channels. So, yeah.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

"Get the biggest sword that you can, then swing it as hard as possible", has always been my Souls-style game go-to.

tbi1a6eroma8.jpg
    5flenk453hp3.jpg
    9xn4x508pb9m.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    header.jpg?t=1582139907
    Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord early access release date has been confirmed on its Steam page after a leak by PC gamer when an article get live by error: 31st March 2020 (for $49.99/£39.99)
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/261550/discussions/0/1749023254243969336/

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    header.jpg?t=1582139907
    Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord early access release date has been confirmed on its Steam page after a leak by PC gamer when an article get live by error: 31st March 2020 (for $49.99/£39.99)

I wonder how janky it's gonna end up being.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    United the land under another man's crown at 15 fps, so I expect armies of T's in glorious combat

• Options
    header.jpg?t=1582139907

All the jank. All of it. Every bit.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    header.jpg?t=1582139907

... the combat in the beta has been ridiculously fun, though ...

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    header.jpg?t=1582139907

Is it all players or does it involve commanding any npc soldiers? I'm confident they can make combat fun. It's stuff like trying to feng shui your infantry, archers, and cavalry before you get shot down by a lucky crossbow I worry about being janky.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This is intriguing

[clip of Hardspace: Shipbreaker which is a game where you cut up derelict spaceships]

Mugsley on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    header.jpg?t=1582139907

Is it all players or does it involve commanding any npc soldiers? I'm confident they can make combat fun. It's stuff like trying to feng shui your infantry, archers, and cavalry before you get shot down by a lucky crossbow I worry about being janky.

Both!

They've got both modes up and running, and you can queue for either or both.

I think there's still a lot of room for tweaking - light infantry was still kinda underpowered the last time I spent a weekend tooling around in it - and learning the commands takes some practice, but you can absolutely order your huscarls to form a shield wall to act as the anvil to someone else's hammer (make sure to take them out of shieldwall when you want to start killing things, though) or your legionnaires into a circle around the flag.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »

She looks dope. Grats.

Looks purple!

This is purple.

Also looks purplish, definitely not pink ;)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I'm extremely late with these thanks (In my defense, I was preparing to sleep outside in a tent/sleeping outside in a tent surrounded by snow/recovering from sleeping outside in a tent surrounded by snow for part of the time), but thanks to @Karoz, who told me that I needed to have a chat with Eliza sometime, and sent me a code for just that purpose.

Given that I am a happy ex-Washingtonian, this should be... interesting.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Just finished up Rage 2. This game feels like the platonic ideal of a 7/10. It's a fun game but has a lot of issues. I've already spelled out a bunch in previous posts. The main quest is pretty thin with only 7 real main quests outside of the tutorial. It uses a system where you do open world stuff to unlock more quests which is good for making you engage with the world but there are just so few of them.

I still think the game thinks too highly of its vehicles. Of course, it's not alone in that sin. More than a handful of games have decided that having the player go in a straight line but in a tank would provide a cinematic action packed experience during a main quest. In reality, the most powerful I ever felt was on foot bringing my array of powers and weapons to bear.

The powers are functional but fun. Think of the combat powers in Saints Row 4 but add more movement and you get the idea. You can get a dashing attack, a dive bomb attack, a tossed suction power, and a deployable barrier on top of the movement powers like double jump, a blink dash, and super sprint. I could barely remember to use the barrier because moving around was so enjoyable.

The weapons are really where the combat shines though. The arsenal rewards getting close to enemies and unleashing chaos with no scoped sniper rifles or suppressed weapons. It's loud, colorful, and actually translates the over the top atmosphere it has into its combat unlike Saints Row 3 or Just Cause. They even put in some of the actually good parts of Just Cause in the form of a gun that lets you fling shot enemies on a gravity tether.

Some of the best praise I can give the game is that I wish there was more to it so I could engage with the mechanics more. I was nowhere near fully upgraded when I finished the game but there wasn't any reason to keep picking up upgrades. No epic main quest warranted that time and effort which is a shame because clearing out areas for upgrade materials/currencies was always fun.

The writing still was awful and I still am not fully clear on the faction that was the big bad of the game besides that they thought amputating arms and tossing on robot bits (but not robot arms) was the ideal body. There is a villain that gloats about their plan because they're sure you're going to die in their trap. The game has some great mechanics and an enjoyable open world but couldn't figure out a good way to use it.

All in all, it was worth playing for a discounted price but it absolutely would not hold up to the likes of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey at full price. But I'll admit I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed setting enemies on fire as much as I have in this game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Did you get the Rise of the Ghosts DLC? If not, that’s very much ‘more Rage 2’. They add that island you see in the distance, there’s more powerful enemies on it, a new gun, a new power and a new outpost with more story missions and stuff to blow up.

The second DLC I haven’t tried because I’m not a fan of the supernatural angle it had.

• Options
    And Wolcen beated.

Now on to the endless grind post-game! :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

My friend and I were really excited about Bannerlord back in the 80s when they said it'd have coop. Did that make it, or did they axe it?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.