Options

[Steam] Fight the good fight, join the S-Team today!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Yeah I can't imagine Assassin's Creed with a KBAM. That game is a console game

The earlier ACs were really bad with KBAM but Odyssey (and I assume Origins) plays totally fine with KBAM. I've never owned a controller and I'm too old to learn to use one now so all games are either KBAM games or unplayable not-games.

Can confirm. 90 hours in Origins and 120 in Odyssey using KBAM, played fine.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just beat Abzu.

Only game I allow my nearly 4 year old to play (with me) at the moment. He just knows it as "The Diver."

That is absolutely adorable.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed Origins has been cheap lately, so I picked it up and started playing it. I'm playing on Uplay, but general impressions don't seem like a good reason to revive an AC thread from November.

I'm really bad at the combat, like almost every single aspect of it. Maybe I need to rebind the heavy attack key? It's Shift to block and Shift + attack for heavy attack, but the heavy attacks just bounce off shields? I think charged heavy attacks break those, but it seems like the charge up time is really long to get there, and sometimes it doesn't trigger so Bayek's just standing there like an idiot. Meanwhile the bad guys use attacks that break my shield blocks all the time -- like, I think that's all they use -- with no visible charge up. I'm also really bad at the timing for parrying. It seems like the response window is really small, and it changes depending on the weapons in play. Also I don't think I can block animals?

I can usually dodge more reliably, but it feels like I'm supposed to have a window to attack after the enemy commits to his attack and misses, but either the dodge or attack goes in the wrong direction and I don't pull it off. I might be mashing dodge when I should just press it once, I don't know. I might also need to lock targets more, and rebind that control, too; the middle click is kind of finicky and I often have to try a couple times to get it to stick.

I have no idea when to press the button for chain assassinations or to throw the weapon after an overpower attack. It shows a prompt pretty early, but there's no visual indication after I press the key so I usually just mash it, which usually works for the chain assassination but not for the overpower follow-up. Also, the chain assassination missed a few times, which bugged me.

Switching weapons, especially bows, seems really kludgy for however many games this is up to in the series. Gating a second weapon slot behind skills doesn't feel great. I'd like to have as many weapons as I want ready to switch between instead of going to the inventory screen and scrolling through the list. I'm sure I'm making life harder for myself by not scrapping all the weapons I'm not using, but it kills me to get rid of my only bronze khopesh, my only combat bow, etc.

I tried a chariot race tutorial and didn't find it fun at all. I hope that doesn't figure into the main quest.

I keep telling myself, "I'm just going to go 500m that way and hit that observation point. Easy. I'm not going to spend ten minutes getting into yet another neverending murder brawl with two dozen soldiers in the middle of the street, in broad daylight, ending with me being whittled down to my last health bar, running away and fleeing over the rooftops." Then some jerk on a horse goes by all, "Out of the way!" and I'm just, ugh, fine.

I wish people wouldn't keep recoiling in shock when I run by them on the street. Killing all these animals to upgrade gear and check off map boxes also feels kind of bad. I mean, it also seems awkward that when the Medjay says he going to help someone with their government problems, it means people are going to die. But the message is clearly, all those hundreds and hundreds of soldiers and functionaries and tax collectors had it coming. Bandits, sure, but it just seems like even a hardened killer would be hesitant to employ violence as the solution to so, so many problems. Is this really how it's been for over a dozen games? It feels like asking someone for help with an HOA dispute about fencing issues, with the full knowledge that within an hour my neighbor, the HOA board, and the bandits pulling their strings will all be dead.

I wish the assassin sight would use a different icon for arrows than for treasure, saving a lot of unnecessary trips up to the walls, towers and rooftops.

The character for the modern day stuff seems completely insufferable. It's like the worst of Rise of the Tomb Raider turned up even further. Maybe I should just skip all her cutscenes and watch it YouTube at double speed, or read the plot synopsis.

I'm pretty sure I didn't bother with charging heavy attacks to break through shields. If they're blocking, they're not attacking you and not a threat at the moment. It's not a bad idea to play more defensively in Origins as a whole. I would not recommend doing the same if you try Odyssey.

The biggest combat tip for Origins that I can give is that weapons that set enemies on fire are gold and punch way above their weight. Enemies that are on fire tend to spend time panicking instead of attacking or blocking. While it wasn't always quick work, I easily took down a lot of the named elite mooks by keeping my weapons with fire effects upgraded.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not quite as broken as the hidden blade counters in the previous games, but getting a parry or a well timed doge off lets you get in there and land a full combo on an enemy, which is often enough to do significant damage, if not kill them. Oh, and make sure to make liberal use of your overpower abilities (I think it's F? I forget), IIRC you start each combat with one, and you can upgrade it to have a full bar be multiple uses. It does a good chunk of damage, and might put enemies in stagger? It's been a while since I played ACO, and I'm pretty sure ACO's power bar is different (and not as effective, that's for the skills).

Also, try out the different weapons. Spears were great at keeping enemies at a distance, and IIRC could maybe stunlock non-lieutenants? Daggers do a ton of AOE. Just figure out which ones you like the best

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fire bombs are amazing in Origins. The first one applies DoT and panics then, and then you just sit there and rain fire bombs on them.

I killed most bosses this way. Just stand back and fire bomb.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Thank you to @CorriganX for Merchant of the Skies, and for your motivational words during this broke-ass time:
    6GFrezQ.jpg

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    So Broken Age is pretty good.

That is all.

Have you finished it, because it's definitely a game that was made in two chunks

I did indeed. I thought the ending was a bit of a stretch, but so was the overall plot, so it's fine. I laughed, and I think that's what the game's after.

In other news, I've been enjoying Hollow Knight, but I'm in the 5th or 6th or 7th area and there's no benches or mapmakers anywhere to be found, and bleh. I die, I spawn on a bench 4 sectors away with no quick way back and goddammit game I know you're not supposed to hold my hand but this is the shit that threatens to end a playthrough.

EDIT: Now at a point in the Royal Waterways where I literally cannot return to any other areas, just plunge forward into shit above my weight class. Fuck this.

Okay I've come down from Explosion Mountain, got some upgrades, killed a couple bosses I previously couldn't kill, and found a new (mapped!) area to explore.

I am back to saying that Hollow Knight is a pretty good Metroidvania game. But also, fuck, put some more benches in the game, jesus.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    A few more giveaways:

signature.png
    Congrats to @Elaro . Enjoy a side scroller about special forces chickens fighting nazi chickens.
    signature.png
    Congrats to @Gear Girl . Enjoy a game about medieval economics.
    signature.png
    Congrats to @cB557 . Enjoy the wordless indie game about delivering messages to townsfolk.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I can confirm that Divinity OS 2 is amazing. I'm at a part of the game where I've got about 4 chunky combat encounters to choose from and I felt like I was quite under levelled and under powered to take on any of them.

So instead of being infuriated and either cheesing the fights or bumping the difficulty down, the game allows you to completely, 100% top-to-bottom respec your characters. You still have to find/buy/steal equipment or spells to support your changes but I've never found myself short of a coin in this game so its not an issue.

I spent about 2 hours last night tweaking and adjusting all four of my characters to give them more nuanced secondary and tertiary roles when their primary ones aren't suitable (back-stabbing thief is now good at bows and lobbing grenades, pyro battlemage is now good at electrificying things and has summoning level 10, necromancy shieldmaiden can now heal, poison, curse and cure more strongly along with some water spells to compliment the battlemage, and polymorphing medusa-head melee damage dealer is now much more mobile)

Wish me luck for the combat encounters to come tonight!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    More game giveaways open to the PA and PA Adventure groups:

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Two games and some DLC. If you are a regular and not in the groups listed above, then let me know and I will work to get you an invite.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    r4ubdxe0l09o.jpg

Okay, Moze is definitely my favourite ever character to play as in the Borderlands games. I'm not even at level 40, and I've already specced her out to "Literally never has to reload again".

EDIT: And posting this screenshot on Steam appears to have gotten me a friend request from a gay woman in Canada, so that's nice.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Just finished Just Cause 3! That was a lot of fun. The Air dlc also made this the best Iron Man Simulator! I might go back and try to pick up some of these achievements! Thanks again to @Heatwave for the very fun game!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I can confirm that Divinity OS 2 is amazing. I'm at a part of the game where I've got about 4 chunky combat encounters to choose from and I felt like I was quite under levelled and under powered to take on any of them.

So instead of being infuriated and either cheesing the fights or bumping the difficulty down, the game allows you to completely, 100% top-to-bottom respec your characters. You still have to find/buy/steal equipment or spells to support your changes but I've never found myself short of a coin in this game so its not an issue.

I spent about 2 hours last night tweaking and adjusting all four of my characters to give them more nuanced secondary and tertiary roles when their primary ones aren't suitable (back-stabbing thief is now good at bows and lobbing grenades, pyro battlemage is now good at electrificying things and has summoning level 10, necromancy shieldmaiden can now heal, poison, curse and cure more strongly along with some water spells to compliment the battlemage, and polymorphing medusa-head melee damage dealer is now much more mobile)

Wish me luck for the combat encounters to come tonight!

One of the beauties of this game is that it has cross save support with the Switch so I just did what was previously a very difficult (failed twice with over 30mins committed to each- the pain!) fight in my lunch break. I'm up to what I hope is the last bit of it and I'm in a significantly better position! The bow-wielding back stabber is amazing and better positioning of my pro battlemage afforded by teleporting has him raining sweet, sweet death like thing else (helps that Fane looks like Death himself!)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Techyfriends, i am in need of a new mouse - any opinions on this?

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/logitech-g502-hero-rgb-high-performance-gaming-mouse/28741884

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/logitech-g502-hero-rgb-high-performance-gaming-mouse/28741884

That's my current one and I love it. Depending on your grip, you might find the thumb button to far away (I do).

I set all the weights in day one and haven't touched them since because otherwise it's to light.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular

I have not had much luck with Logitech mice but a lot of people seem to like them. Razer has been one dud after another.

I <3 my Roccat mouse.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Omg I missed some proper chaos! @karoz you madman! ❤

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

I have not had much luck with Logitech mice but a lot of people seem to like them. Razer has been one dud after another.

I <3 my Roccat mouse.

Yeah, same. My G502 didn't even last a year before two of the buttons (LMB and one thumb button) started double-clicking all the time... same as a previous Logitech mouse. I replaced it with a Roccat mouse recently and love this thing.

(my Logitech headset also died last week after less than a year and maybe a half-dozen uses, too, so I'm super sour on Logitech products)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I invested a bit in a Razer Naga a few years ago, and it's still kicking something fierce. Kind of pricey, but with the amount of MMOs I play, well...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Rewatching the feminist frequency video with the best arguement, I amend my game idea where the princess jump from the tower and breaks her legs to where she triages her broken legs metal gear solid 3 style and liberates the nation, Arya Stark style.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Rewatching the feminist frequency video with the best arguement, I amend my game idea where the princess jump from the tower and breaks her legs to where she triages her broken legs metal gear solid 3 style and liberates the nation, Arya Stark style.

By killing people she has no connection to?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    If they gods wanted them to live, they would not have let them be born as Frey

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I've got that one, and I love it, too.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I invested a bit in a Razer Naga a few years ago, and it's still kicking something fierce. Kind of pricey, but with the amount of MMOs I play, well...
    I tend to stay far away from razor products ever since they announced their initiative to let people opt-in to mining bitcoin on razor's behalf for prizes that they literally cannot get in the time limit of the points expiring.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular

I <3 my Roccat mouse.

Yeah, same. My G502 didn't even last a year before two of the buttons (LMB and one thumb button) started double-clicking all the time... same as a previous Logitech mouse. I replaced it with a Roccat mouse recently and love this thing.

(my Logitech headset also died last week after less than a year and maybe a half-dozen uses, too, so I'm super sour on Logitech products)

My G502 still work great but my work mouse M510 started double clicking. I opened it up and then popped the LMB switch open and repositioned the copper spring/contact. The spring had slid sideways out of alignment. I figured I had nothing to lose. So far it's behaving like new again. That switch was a pain to pop open though needed a very tiny screwdriver.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm currently rocking a used G502 that is still fine ~2 years now. I did pick up a new G502 Hero SE last Black Friday because I like the form factor and the price was right

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Alright, after 70 hours i beat Octopath Traveler courtesy of you monsters. Overall a solid older schooled turn-based JRPG. Basically all the comments about the art being awesome but the stories being somewhat halfbaked were accurate.

I chose Cyrus the scholar as my first character and was glad to see he's pretty OP, his story was amusing due to his naivety.
    Therion was good, his story is one of the more complete ones, but because you have to have him in your party to open locked chests means he pretty much has to always be in your party. And since you're 1st character is locked in until you beat their full story you might as well make him your first choice, I kind of feel like this lessens the impact of secondary jobs though.
    Ophelia's story was pretty decent.
    Olberic's story starts out strong if not cliche and ends somewhat anti-climatically, but not what i was expected so that's good.
    Primmrose was a decent character arc until the end.
    Tessa is just 100% adorable.
    H'annit's character was cool but all of her dialogue being some sort of weird medieval british that was either super accurate or super inaccurate to the 1400s made reading unbearable even for me.
    Alfyn's story was kind of all over the place but got better near the end.

A solid game for $40 or less but i'm not sure i'd justify it for the full $60. A lot of that 70 hours was a combination of save scumming to steal/interrogate people and the fact that i never run from battles, except to get the achievement.

Will probably spin up Hellblade so i can beat it before the next one comes out and i get spoilers ruined for me. Yes yes i know i should've already played it by now due to its awesomeness.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I haven't used the G502, but my Logitech G700s has been rock solid for at least four years now. I bought it to replace an old model G500 that died the double-click death after about ten years of use and a failed attempt at repair via YouTube tutorials.

Although if Logitech isn't your bag, I picked up a Glorious Model O from Glorious PC Gaming Race at PAX South this year, and that's become my work mouse since I'm working from home now. It's pretty nice. Very light, which is a big switch from the G700, but the buttons have a nice click to them, and the cord is bar none the best I've ever seen on a mouse.

Unrelated, but Junior Caster has gone all in on nu-XCOM lately. He just pre-ordered the XCOM: Chimera Squad game that's coming out this week. I suppose the shoe's on the other foot now, and after a few years of him borrowing stuff from my Steam library to play, I'll be borrowing this one from him.

shdwcaster on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I probably could have just RMA'd the G502. I'm sure the warranty is still good. But, truth be told, I hated the software with a passion, and the mouse itself was heavy as a brick so I wasn't sad to let it go. Even with none of the optional weights added in, it's a monster weighing in a full ounce heavier than the Roccat I replaced it with, which itself is an ounce heavier than the Steelseries I use at work.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

I <3 my Roccat mouse.

The 502 is a decent mouse if you like the form factor. My old one lasted forever. When it failed, their customer service was impeccable, gave me a 50% rebate on the then just-released G910, which is a wonderful bit of kit. Very light, wired-or-wireless, can be weighted, great ergonomics if you have wrist strain.

I know some people have had horrible luck with their Logitech peripherals, but my mice from them have always been great.
    The keyboards, not so much, but what can you do.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I bought a cheap wireless KBaM combo by Logitech. It mostly works, but occasionally double clicks on the title bar and shrinks windows. I struggle more with the occasional blocked signal. I wouldn't hype it, but I'm not dissatisfied.

• Options
    @McMoogle I highly recommend headphones when you play Hellblade. Also turn up the volume when you do.

One tip: mess around with your combat moves because the tutorial doesn't do a great job. I didn't realize I was missing a move until the end of the game, which would have made a problematic enemy trivial.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just beat Abzu.

Only game I allow my nearly 4 year old to play (with me) at the moment. He just knows it as "The Diver."

That is absolutely adorable.

My daughter also loves this game, she calls it "Fish Swimmy" or "Swimmy Guy"

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Will probably spin up Hellblade so i can beat it before the next one comes out and i get spoilers ruined for me. Yes yes i know i should've already played it by now due to its awesomeness.

As someone who first played Hellblade a couple weeks ago despite owning it since launch, doesn't matter that you should have already. You still can now, and it is very good. Also yes once you finish it watch the trailer for the sequel it is bonkers and implies some pretty great stuff.

Aistan on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

I <3 my Roccat mouse.

The 502 is a decent mouse if you like the form factor. My old one lasted forever. When it failed, their customer service was impeccable, gave me a 50% rebate on the then just-released G910, which is a wonderful bit of kit. Very light, wired-or-wireless, can be weighted, great ergonomics if you have wrist strain.

I know some people have had horrible luck with their Logitech peripherals, but my mice from them have always been great.
    The keyboards, not so much, but what can you do.

I know people swear by Logitech mice but I've had rotten luck with them. I had an old two button Microsoft mouse that lasted for years and years. That thing was a workhorse until the sensor started to fail. That set a pretty high bar for durability and reliability. This last time I around I had maybe half a dozen choices and I narrowed it down to either a Steel Series or a Roccat. I took a chance and picked the Roccat(Kone Pure Owl-eye...yeah they have some weird model names for mice) and I've been pretty happy with it.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    8ed42al9x8aw.jpg
    New Humble Bundle:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/square-enix-collective-2020

1€:
    Oh My Godheads
    Goetia
    OCTAHEDRON
    Deadbeat Heroes

BTA:
    The Turing Test
    Forgotton Anne
    Fear Effect Sedna
    Black The Fall

9€:
    Children of Zodiarcs
    Boundless
    Tokyo Dark
    BATTALION 1944

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Oh thats not a terrible bundle. Most of the things I havent heard of, but they look okay. The two I recognize is Children of the Zodiarcs (im a sucker for tactics like games) and Battalion 1944 was a somewhat-tactical competitive shooter right?

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    sn7oI73.jpg

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Zodiarcs was a Steam Thread darling a couple years ago.

The game changer for me for Logitech mice was the freewheeling scroll wheel. No more *scritch scritch scritch* to get to the bottom of a document or page.

If my Naga Hex had that wheel, I'd probably still be using it

Mugsley on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The COVID-19 bundle they had on Humble is still one of the best things I've ever done with my money. Hollow Knight alone was worth that price.

I thought I was nearing the end last night and then I found out I was way, way fucking wrong.

Twitch: Thawmus83
This discussion has been closed.