As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ITT: omg college wtf.

15678911»

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    jesus was a carpenter.

look how he turned out

He got nailed.

I loved his work that much.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oden wrote: »
    Hey air are you still going to go do a business degree at macq?

I'm dropping out of engineering at the end of the year to try and do architecture or science
    because engineering is not for me

it's quite depressing really

what year did you finish highschool oden?

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    American University scares the shit outta me, you pay a MASSIVE amount of money to go to a decent (or hell, an average) school and you still en up sharing a room with someone in most places. I know this isnt the biggest problem with your uni system at all, but it's always boggled my mind! What do they spend the money on?

If i lived in America i almost definately would not have been able to go to university, let alone one of the top ten in the country (which i just finished my second year here in the UK) as my family is pretty poor. However due to our system i qualify for government grants which cover my tuition (£1200 a year roughly) and give me some extra money for dealing with rent and books....and booze and whatnot.

Basically i get £5000 a year from the government, of which i pay back about £3000 and on top of that the government pays my tuition which i never have to repay.

Quirk on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Depends on the school.

For example, my friend goes to Stanford University. He's kinda poor. He pays basically nothing at all. At ALL.

Then again, I go to Columbia and my family drops nearly 50k a year on my school and housing, because we are not poor and don't qualify for any aid.

I think the living with people thing was probably made for a reason, the whole living together community thing. I dunno. There are tons of singles where I go. I had a single. Double next year though.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oh i didn't know you were in ny shaz

rock

a friend of mine goes to columbia

im in baruch

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ShinobiShinobi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There are grants and scholarships available for American schools but yeah I agree its way harder on people. Its always a shame to see the people that are financing their education wash out of college due to the pressure.

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    you know who else doesnt have to work if he doesnt want to and seems to be pretty successful in living out his dream

katchang

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    white middle class has it best

we get to pay for college in full! yay!

Faricazy on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

hooray

mrpaku on
  • Options
    ShinobiShinobi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

REPRESENT

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    canada <3
    $3000 a year education ftw

Zoolander on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »
    canada <3
    $3000 a year education ftw

w00t

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Today was my last day of HS... I'll be going to Georgia Tech this fall, out of state tuition with no aid yayayayayaya

I look forward to graduating with at least $150,000 of debt.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know i was generalising before, but it just kind of freaks me out that it seems like American Universities dont necessarily want the best students, but the ones best equipped to pay.

Shazkar thanks, now havent lost total faith in the world, though im still seriously glad i dont have to pay stupid money for an education...though i suppose there is a benefit in that people want to succeed more if they genuinely think they'll lose a lot by not completing uni, like if i failed this year i'd have to pay back about £6000, and even then only after i earn more than £16,000 a year and a US student could be in a MUCH worse situation and more likely to work harder i suppose

Quirk on
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My one close friend in high school got a pretty substantial amount of money to go to the same college I was going to.
    His GPA was lower then mine, he failed a couple classes junior/senior year in high school.
    So I called him out on it, he was only getting it because he was black,
    And he was like, “no man, I got it because I’m a hard wo-“
    He dropped out of college before the end of the first year.
    Got pretty good at this game “stepmania” though.
    :|

Trexy on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to U of H next year. I've already said this.

But because my family is an upper-middle class white family we can't get any financial aid. And because I'm exceedingly average, I had trouble getting scholarships. I also have a brother who's 2 years younger than me and a sister who'd need to go to college too. So now, I'm going into college unaided and burdened financially.

I also can't live on campus because my dad won't pay the room and board fees because he says we have no money for it. He also buys new TV's and other shit he definitely doesn't need all the time.

His response when accused "Why should I give up what I like to do just to help you?"

Because you're my fucking dad, douchebag.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My dad is the most economically sound person out there. He will drive his car in to the ground before he will buy a new one. In his free time he plays solitaire with a deck of cards.
    My mom on the other hand has converted my older sister and my rooms in to extra storage rooms for all the shit she needs to keep herself busy all day.

Trexy on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    At my freshman convocation, the outgoing Student Body President or whatever the fuck you call them gave us a speech about how his grades were bad and he didn't test well and he didn't do any extracurricular activities, but he got into the school thanks to affirmative action! So we should all support affirmative action, because otherwise we wouldn't have great people like him at the school!

And I was all "fuck you asshole".

But he did not hear me because I said it in my head.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i want some affirmative actions

think of the jews

someone help us

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    At my freshman convocation, the outgoing Student Body President or whatever the fuck you call them gave us a speech about how his grades were bad and he didn't test well and he didn't do any extracurricular activities, but he got into the school thanks to affirmative action! So we should all support affirmative action, because otherwise we wouldn't have great people like him at the school!

"Excuse me sir, but you are stating that you are grossly unqualified for your acceptance to this school, but due to the fact that you are not white you were accepted, thereby pushing out someone else who was more qualified and better suited to be here who just happened to have lighter skin?

AWESOME!"

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Accepting people based only on their qualifications is racist.

Trexy on
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I pay for my own education. Which really sucks because I was hoping affirmative action, although unbelievably retarded, would help me out, if for no other reason than I don't really like to turn down free money.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    are you black

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »

"Excuse me sir, but you are stating that you are grossly unqualified for your acceptance to this school, but due to the fact that you are not white you were accepted, thereby pushing out someone else who was more qualified and better suited to be here who just happened to have lighter skin?

AWESOME!"

Even the dumbass hippy fresh college crowd didn't applaud (much).
    It was that astoundingly dumb.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    are you black

Hispanic, or brown I guess.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    supersloth wrote: »
    are you black

Hispanic.
    be more black

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm working on it, the doc says my melatonin count should be up to 'base level black' by September.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'd say it takes balls to stand up in front of 10,000 people who just finished working their asses off to get where they are, and tell them "haha, I didn't do shit to get here, and you all need to help me make sure more undeserving buttholes get the same privilege".
    Except I don't think he realized the irony.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That’s what happens when you get places without actually learning.

Trexy on