Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    For context CNN:
    Weinstein, 67, arrived to his sentencing hearing in a wheelchair and handcuffs. The former movie producer faced between five and 29 years for last month's convictions on first-degree criminal sexual act and third-degree rape.

Judge James Burke sentenced Weinstein to 20 years in prison for first-degree criminal sex act and 3 years in prison for third-degree rape. The sentences will run consecutively and both come with 5 years of supervision after release.

The charges were based on testimony by Miriam Haley and Jessica Mann, who both spoke at Wednesday's sentencing.

Given his age, this is an effective life sentence.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    For context CNN:
    Weinstein, 67, arrived to his sentencing hearing in a wheelchair and handcuffs. The former movie producer faced between five and 29 years for last month's convictions on first-degree criminal sexual act and third-degree rape.

Judge James Burke sentenced Weinstein to 20 years in prison for first-degree criminal sex act and 3 years in prison for third-degree rape. The sentences will run consecutively and both come with 5 years of supervision after release.

The charges were based on testimony by Miriam Haley and Jessica Mann, who both spoke at Wednesday's sentencing.

Assuming he's not out early on parole.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    For context CNN:

Even then. He appears to not be in good health. His lawyers argued even five years would be an effective life sentence for him.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    For context CNN:

Even then. He appears to not be in good health. His lawyers argued even five years would be an effective life sentence for him.

I'm highly skeptical about his health issues. Playing that stuff up before sentencing is an old trick.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    For context CNN:

I'm highly skeptical about his health issues. Playing that stuff up before sentencing is an old trick.

Yeah, in all the footage I've seen of him the last few weeks going to hearings he clearly wasn't needing the walker to actual help him ambulate, it was a prop.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Even if it was legit, we're in "world's smallest violin" territory.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Even if it was legit, we're in "world's smallest violin" territory.

But enough about his micropenis.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    For context CNN:

One news site reported that given where he was sentenced, and the type of crime in question, he will serve 85% of his sentence before parole being an option, so at around age 86?

Also, there's a separate trial in L. A.?

Regardless, fuck him and good riddance.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    A Quiet Place II comes out soon. Really curious if it's going to be any good, given how much of a phenomenon the original was and how poorly sequels tend to go.

• Options
    Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson have COVID-19 and are self-isolating in Queensland, Australia. They're both 63 years of age.

Everything crossed that they pull through.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Already seen one excellent joke about the staff at the hospital rolling a volleyball into the isolation ward to keep him company.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    We're going to see The Truth tonight, the new Kore-eda, before the government decides that cinemas need to be closed until summer and decides to give everyone free access to Netflix and Disney+ as a measure to combat Coronavirus. I'm a big fan of Kore-eda, and I am looking forward to the film, but at the same time I'm somewhat wary. It's his first film made outside Japan, and the characters also seem pretty different from what the director usually works with. I have this vague worry that something, an ineffable Kore-eda-ness, may be lost in translation. But perhaps I should just trust a director who has made so many fantastic, unique films.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Already seen one excellent joke about the staff at the hospital rolling a volleyball into the isolation ward to keep him company.

I can't believe that I havent seen the joke before with her name, but I saw comments about 'not the first time he has been isolated with Wilson'.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Best wishes for the Hanks's's, but I'm more mildly infuriated that an Elvis movie is being filmed in Australia.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Best wishes for the Hanks's's, but I'm more mildly infuriated that an Elvis movie is being filmed in Australia.

I think a lot of movies that are based elsewhere are filmed in Australia. Not sure why, besides the beautiful locale.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I think a lot of movies that are based elsewhere are filmed in Australia. Not sure why, besides the beautiful locale.

Government money, most likely.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I can't believe that I havent seen the joke before with her name, but I saw comments about 'not the first time he has been isolated with Wilson'.

He's even stranded on an island!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A Quiet Place II comes out soon. Really curious if it's going to be any good, given how much of a phenomenon the original was and how poorly sequels tend to go.

Paramount announced today that they're delaying the release

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Paramount announced today that they're delaying the release

The only thing scarier than The Quiet Place is The Empty Place.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

I made that joke this morning with co workers! So handy she goes by her own last name.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Man I didn't even think about Hollywood postponing movie releases, or what that will do to the theater industry. No income will be coming in if everyone is avoiding the theaters. :eek:

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Was supposed to go see Colour out of Space tonight at a smallish local theatre, but might just bail since I'm sleepy already. I don't think there's any COVID related reason to not go, we've had 1 or 2 cases in town and both were documented, quaratined and recovered. It's more of a "I'd rather see it when not half asleep."

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Been watching some 1953 stuff: I Love Melvin, an MGM musical starring Singin' in the Rain stars Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor. No Donen/Kelly connection here, and it shows. Very strange, furiously paced, with little logic to its storytelling or musical numbers. Reynolds is dressed as a football and getting kicked across a stage; O'Connor is crashing off a gazebo on roller skates. Its not that great, but I think it might deserves some degree of reappraisal for how lopsided and almost hallucinatory it is.

Also saw Ship of Condemned Women, an Italian film by this guy Raffaello Matarazzo. I really liked his 1933 film Treno Popolare, and this one is also quite good, but a very different item from that proto-realist ensemble piece. This film is a period melodrama that moves from scandal, to the courtroom, to the titular ship of female prisoners. Characters are well drawn and its last act is lurid and explosive without upsetting what came before. Maybe at some point I'll double back and try to dig up more of Matarazzo's films, because the guy's 2 for 2 in my book.

And The Bigamist, one of two films from '53 directed by star turned director Ida Lupino. Like The Outrage released a couple of years earlier, this is a sincere and socially concerned film from Lupino that's presented with a surprising amount of sincerity and insight. This one's about a traveling salesman who has two families, and it approaches infidelity with an interest in understanding it and its effects rather than spinning it into protag-antag melodrama. The Hitchhiker (Lupino's other '53 release) is a more visually interesting and dramatically fulfilling film, but I still like this one's approach to its material.

Got a bunch more to watch. 10 of them are Japanese. I've recently been reading David Thompson's Biographical Dictionary of Film, and in one entry he relates Japanese cinema to Medieval cartography: 'There Be Dragons Here'. Hard to disagree with that.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

#JusticeDeferred

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Also, I watched Colour Out of Space, and it was really really good, but also a really interesting companion piece to Annihilation. They both involve weird, unknowable shit coming from outer space and fucking everything up for Reasons, they're both visually striking and often relentlessly disturbing, and they're both fascinating portraits of dawning madness in the face of something truly alien. It made for a pretty great double feature.

Spoilers for both films:
    I'm trying to decide if I was more horrified by mother/son Cronenberg monstrosity, or skullbear that roars in the terrified screams of its past victims, and I'm stuck.

I am thinking of back to backing this with The Thing (John Carpenter version of course).

• Options
    New Mutants has been delayed. I mean, it's unsurprising this time, but still kinda funny. Time is a flat circle.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Summer is cancelled, apparently. Stay indoors, catch up on your backlogs. Watch that one show you promised your friend you would.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Summer is cancelled, apparently. Stay indoors, catch up on your backlogs. Watch that one show you promised your friend you would.

Also put a few bucks aside for the ridiculous amount of movies that will all be clustered together in 6-8 months time.

• Options

Also put a few bucks aside for the ridiculous amount of movies that will all be clustered together in 6-8 months time.

If the studios were smart, they’d be working on polishing scripts for next years’ projects. It’s the one thing that usually doesn’t get enough time in pre-production, and now everyone is basically getting a free year of development.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I just watched The Invitation. Wow, I hated that so much. Vague spoilers:
    I was bored out of my mind for the first 90 minutes, and the last 10 was utterly predictable and also boring.

I'm extra disappointed because I was waiting for Jason Bateman to show up and he never did; I thought I was watching The Gift.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Ill never watch that show, if he really wanted me to watch it, he shouldnt have mentioned it so many times, now I resent the show.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

Ill never watch that show, if he really wanted me to watch it, he shouldnt have mentioned it so many times, now I resent the show.

You jest, but I've got a mate who is exactly like that.

Jazz on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

You jest but there's a very real reason I strive to not endorse any show/movie to a friend with more than a "Yeah, it's pretty good, you should check it out" :P

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I haven't read the book but I saw the movie The Hunt for Red October and the more I think about it, Captain Ramius was a jerk.
    He murders his XO because the XO is a patriot who would never consider defecting and he destroys a sub full of Russians trying to prevent a stolen super weapon from falling into enemy American hands. All so he can raise rabbits in Montana or something. Had he lived, the United States would have taken in a mad man.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Guess who has two thumbs and subscribed to the Alamo Season Pass Beta less than two weeks ago. Whoops.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

2020 the year everyone finally watches:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Fleabag

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Not his XO. The political officer, who was essentially an overseer.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Fleabag

No. Never.
    I really hope there’s no one left who hasn’t!
    Meh.
    Yes. Definitely.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Fleabag

No. Never.
    I really hope there’s no one left who hasn’t!
    Meh.
    Yes. Definitely.

Get in the anime Atomika.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.