Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Watching The Shining for the first time in years. Those two or three dozen sheets of typed paper may be the single greatest and most effective prop in all of cinema.

excuse me, I believe you are forgetting Austin powers’ Swedish penis enlarger pump

One book...

Swedish-Made Penis Enlarger Pumps and Me: This Sort of Thing Is My Bag...Baby

Written by: Austin Powers

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I would like to watch ... a British horror movie. British cast, British setting. What are my options besides 28 Days Later?

For some bleak "Folk-Horror" Blood on Satan's Claw makes a great double-bill with The Witchfinder General (Conqueror Worm for its USA cinema release). That last one does star Vincent Price, but it's about as British as it gets.

There are a load of great Hammer movies - Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein and The Revenge of Frankenstein are early greats whose many sequels gradually drop off in quality but all have their moments. Probably my favourite output from the studio is a tie between The Hound of the Baskervilles ( one of the best Sherlock Holmes adaptations) and The Devil Rides Out (Christopher Lee vs Satanist Charles Grey! Screenplay by Richard Matheson!!).

Amicus put out a string of nifty little portmanteau films in the sixties and seventies. The best two are probably Asylum! and Dr. Terror's House of Horrors.

And once you've watched all of the above follow it up with Steve Coogan's six-episode TV show Dr. Terribles House of Horrible - Coogan's greatest creation :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHwnYiJir0

For more modern fare there's Alice Lowe's Prevenge, or Ben Wheatley's films Kill List, Sightseers (also written by Alice Lowe I think) and A Field in England.

Or you could do yourself a big favour and watch all five seasons of the BBC's Inside No. 9 - there's some right proper horror in there (The Devil of Christmas!).

I’d also recommend Garth Marenghi's Darkplace if you are interested in a 1980’s horror tv series.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Watching The Shining for the first time in years. Those two or three dozen sheets of typed paper may be the single greatest and most effective prop in all of cinema.

excuse me, I believe you are forgetting Austin powers’ Swedish penis enlarger pump

One book...

I kind of want to watch that again but feel like it might not hold up.

Tommy Boy / Black Sheep too.

Haven't watched any of them in 15+ years and don't want to ruin what I remember, but god they were good funny movies.

Should I just stick with the memories / jokes / sayings? I seem to remember Austin Powers had some very ehh transphobic stuff in it played for laughs that probably didn't age well.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

One book...

Haven't watched any of them in 15+ years and don't want to ruin what I remember, but god they were good funny movies.

Should I just stick with the memories / jokes / sayings? I seem to remember Austin Powers had some very ehh transphobic stuff in it played for laughs that probably didn't age well.

I think it's still held up in that most of the jokes hit like they always have. It's very silly and broad, but it was always that. But it's also, you know, old at this point and so it's like any older movie in terms of things you just gotta accept about the time it was made.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

One book...

Austin powers 1 holds up pretty damn well, it’s only really the sequels with fat bastard and mini me where the joke is punching down (in mini me’s case, uh, literally)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Austin Powers has a running transphobic gag about men in dresses.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod

One book...

If you can get past the admittedly awful transphobic stuff, the movie holds up well. I watched it a few years back, and it wasn't as hilarious as I remembered, but still very funny. The opening credits are still glorious.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching Color Out of Space. I definitely got 4 dollars worth of Nicholas Cage being crazy. Not much else though. Good concept, middling execution.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I feel it's more a play on the opening to Thunderball, than transphobic.

(For those who haven't seen it, a SPECTRE assassin poses as his own mourning widow. Which is revealed when Bond casually suckerpunches him.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I feel it's more a play on the opening to Thunderball, than transphobic.

(For those who haven't seen it, a SPECTRE assassin poses as his own mourning widow. Which is revealed when Bond casually suckerpunches him.)
    It's also used as an example of how out-of-date he is, since he punches Basil Exposition's mother with the cry "that's a man, baby!" It doesn't really land, as he follows up with "well, you have to admit she is very man-ish", so it's still pretty uncomfortable.

Nowhere near as bad as Ace Ventura 1, when it is oh-so-hilarious that the entire police force vomits when they find out their chief is trans.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Got to see a double feature in an actual real life movie theater today. Great seating plan and service; I felt better about it than shopping or the other times I've had to be in enclosed spaces with others since this whole thing started. Going back soon because man I missed it.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    See I like Dark Crystal and the new one too, but Farscape? I dunno, the muppets looked to muppety and there was some fucking old guy in a bondage suit what? What is? Imma pass on this one.

Oh no man you gotta watch Farscape

It rules

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Keep in mind that the ending of Farscape, thanks to the usual fuckery of the dumbass Sci Fi channel, is actually in the Peacekeeper Wars films. Sci Fi cancelled the show after a cliffhanger season ending, and then the showmakers were forced to wrap everything up in a couple movies instead of a whole season.

It's still some great stuff, just remember that the ending of Farscape is not included with the series itself. The point where the series itself ends is an insanely awful way for a series to end, if you don't know that isn't the ending.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Though as I thought/said at the time: "yeah, that's about their usual luck."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that the ending of Farscape, thanks to the usual fuckery of the dumbass Sci Fi channel, is actually in the Peacekeeper Wars films. Sci Fi cancelled the show after a cliffhanger season ending, and then the showmakers were forced to wrap everything up in a couple movies instead of a whole season.

It's still some great stuff, just remember that the ending of Farscape is not included with the series itself. The point where the series itself ends is an insanely awful way for a series to end, if you don't know that isn't the ending.

Farscape was amazing. Nothing else has come close, in terms of space sci-fi shows.

• Options
    Someone please donate some vacation time to me so I can rewatch Farscape.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Nowhere near as bad as Ace Ventura 1, when it is oh-so-hilarious that the entire police force vomits when they find out their chief is trans.

Huh, I had it in my head that the end of Ace Ventura was due to "the worst case of hemorrhoids ever seen", but looking up the scene: no. I hadn't understood what it was going for. How awful.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular

Huh, I had it in my head that the end of Ace Ventura was due to "the worst case of hemorrhoids ever seen", but looking up the scene: no. I hadn't understood what it was going for. How awful.

IIRC the film also played music from The Crying Game during that scene.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Blizzard named an NPC in WoW after that scene in Pet Detective. He originally was in the endgame dungeon in vanilla and then they brought him back for the 3rd expansion.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    John Saxon, famous bad ass, has died. Also Olivia de Havilland, who can claim to be the last star standing of Hollywood’s golden age.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Wow, she was 104.

Captain Blood has been on a few times this month. The final battle between his ship and the two British ships is still an amazing piece of miniatures action work.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I've actually got a copy of that I've been meaning to watch forever. Seems like as good a time as any.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

If i recall its because the entire police force had been romantic with her.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

That was my interpretation

Still not great, but a callback to the "I kissed a man" sequence from earlier rather than simply "Oh no, a trans lady"

And then you get into the whole "was she truly trans or doing it for revenge" which fuck that noise, let's just call the whole thing a mess and go straight to When Nature Calls

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I finally got around to seeing John Wick. It was pretty good, I guess, but possibly not as good as I’d been led to expect.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a

Ever see the walk of life project? Where they put the song at the end of every movie?
    http://www.wolproject.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Fsgj_yrzs

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I am watching Invisible Man. Picked it up for $10 on iTunes. Totally worth it.

Don't click on this unless you've watched the entire movie.
    I didn't think the "open mouth susprise" face was actually a legit face that people make in reality. I thought that was just a dramatized bit of exaggerated nonsense. Emojified faux-reality. But I just made that face involuntarily.

I...um...wow? I think if you have seen the film, you know what scene I am talking about. And if you haven't seen the film, you should not have clicked on this spoiler.

I don't think I've ever been as genuinely surprised by a movie scene in my entire life. Like, of course that happened at that moment, but Jesus that was unexpected and brutal.

I am not going to post this yet. I somehow have ~50 minutes left in the film. I'm going to finish it before I post this. But I wanted to get the above out of my fingers before I continue on with the film.

[50 minutes later...]

Okay, wow. That was MUCH better film than I was expecting, even despite the reviews and everything.

I kind of wish the Tom stuff had more time to marinate but it's a 2 hour film so I get that it couldn't be much longer.

Are you talking about
    The restaurant scene

Yeah that and moss’ reaction to it were pretty amazing

The suit was so fucking creepy

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

That was my interpretation

Still not great, but a callback to the "I kissed a man" sequence from earlier rather than simply "Oh no, a trans lady"

And then you get into the whole "was she truly trans or doing it for revenge" which fuck that noise, let's just call the whole thing a mess and go straight to When Nature Calls
    The whole plot is (intentionally) bananas, and it probably would have been nothing more than a little side eye if it weren't for the round the room retch sequence.

As it is, it's a case of "sigh... 90s... why you gotta remind me of the bad parts too".

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

See for me I read that and I respect Gene Hackman. That movie meant something to Stiller, but to Hackman it was just getting paid and he didn't hide that. I mean Ben could be upset but Hackman was probably more honest than a lot of other actors would ever be.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm a simple man, I just want every movie to end on a cliffhanger set to Yes' Roundabout.

• Options
    a

Ever see the walk of life project? Where they put the song at the end of every movie?
    http://www.wolproject.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Fsgj_yrzs

I think every film could be improved by having the protagonist jump in the air and it freeze-frame with "September" playing.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

How Farscape the series ended was some really bad timing.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    That was on the boat, right?

Should have cut it
    Right before turning into superballs. Maybe have the ship flying towards them.

When it aired did they know? I don't remember.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    RE: farscape

The shock I felt watching that last episode as it aired, knowing it was the series finale. Omg. The fact that there were movies later that resolved the plot never really fixed that feeling. I had already accepted the other ending.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

See for me I read that and I respect Gene Hackman. That movie meant something to Stiller, but to Hackman it was just getting paid and he didn't hide that. I mean Ben could be upset but Hackman was probably more honest than a lot of other actors would ever be.

I swear every old actor who's respected and been around for ages has this story. Most of them did a ton of movies just to get paid and are now old and well-known enough they don't feel the need to pretend otherwise.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    That was on the boat, right?

Should have cut it
    Right before turning into superballs. Maybe have the ship flying towards them.

When it aired did they know? I don't remember.

I believe they made that ending after having been told they would get a final season, then the show was cancelled afterwards. Then they got to make the Peacekeeper films as the "final season", because it turns out that Farscape was almost the only thing they had worth a shit at the time and viewers weren't happy about it getting shafted. So then they had to cram a whole season into a few hours, which they did a pretty good job at doing but it's a damn shame it didn't get a proper final season so the slew of bigtime events could get some breathing room.

• Options
    As I recall, the creators described it as "deciding to abandon a house instead of putting a coat of paint on it."

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Also shows that Hackman was committed to doing good work on a role he didn't care about. The mark of a true professional.

This discussion has been closed.