As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] so you didn't send the fish Jedi immediately because...?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm sceptical of the High Republic stuff. Trailer guy mentions "multiple interconnected stories", which is the worst concept in the world.

The multiple interconnected stories thing is (one of many) reasons I intensely dislike American comics, and a transparent ploy to try to get us to buy a never-ending tsunami of stories to have any idea what is going on with our favorite characters / the meta-story.

Or I could be wrong. But I'm not.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It depends how they decide to do it.
    If it's just that these various stories all happen in the same universe and have obvious effects on others, that's fine. Usually those can be covered with a few sentences of 'the Sith attacked this planet a while ago, but someone stopped them', which covers everything you need to know for this new story.
    The problem is when you end up with half a dozen "As told in 'Spectacular Star Wars Stories #31'" and "Missing the importance? Check out 'The Adventures of Unilek, Jedi Knight'!"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm down for the eventual KOTOR video game remake on new consoles. Or even a 100 Jedi/Sith parachute onto a planet Battle Royale.

I like how they're spreading each project apart though so I don't think it will be "read this to understand this!", like IDW is doing their comic series and Marvel is doing theirs, so I think it's more they're using the same lore bible and timeline than super interconnected stuff

Zavian on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Ugh, what the hell. Star Wars finally got to a place where we didn't know what was coming. But I guess they screwed it up and now uncertainty scares them? No matter what they do in this era, we know how it ends: stupidly, on Exogol. I am not curious about what it was like before. The only thing that might be fascinating is if the Jedi of centuries ago were just as hidebound and blind as the Jedi before the Clone Wars. That would potentially be interesting context.

I would much, much rather move centuries in the future and leave the Palpatine nonology behind.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Ugh, what the hell. Star Wars finally got to a place where we didn't know what was coming. But I guess they screwed it up and now uncertainty scares them? No matter what they do in this era, we know how it ends: stupidly, on Exogol. I am not curious about what it was like before. The only thing that might be fascinating is if the Jedi of centuries ago were just as hidebound and blind as the Jedi before the Clone Wars. That would potentially be interesting context.

I would much, much rather move centuries in the future and leave the Palpatine nonology behind.

Should be noted that they explicitly said none of the new films are set during this time. I'm all for having the books and comics and games set in the past, freeing up the films to be creative going forward. Otherwise you get a New Jedi Order situation with complicated lore that makes future films difficult and constrained. I think it's the best option. Last thing I want is more of the same stuff set in original trilogy/new trilogy that's handcuffed essentially

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The Skywalker Saga, clumsy as it’s been, is analogous to LOTR in that it marks a defining endpoint for thousands of years of lore building up to a climax.

I could definitely stand to go through some of that lore: seeing the Sith empire at full strength, seeing a functional administration of Jedi, seeing new worlds and revisiting old ones in ways we’ve never seen. We could see some of the old temples back when they were operational, like those on Yavin, Lothal, Ach-To, Jedda, and Korriban. We could meet some races we haven’t seen on screen yet, like the ancient Mandalorians and the Zeffo.

This is the time of the Silmarillion for the GFFA. Sounds fun. I’m in.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll watch a show about space paladins fighting evil space vikings in the space wild west.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Yeah I'll watch a show about space paladins fighting evil space vikings in the space wild west.

Right? 90% of us nerds on here play some kind of homebrew D&D nonsense with exactly this premise. Why not throw in lightsabers and yodas and Wookiees and shit?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The Skywalker Saga, clumsy as it’s been, is analogous to LOTR in that it marks a defining endpoint for thousands of years of lore building up to a climax.

I could definitely stand to go through some of that lore: seeing the Sith empire at full strength, seeing a functional administration of Jedi, seeing new worlds and revisiting old ones in ways we’ve never seen. We could see some of the old temples back when they were operational, like those on Yavin, Lothal, Ach-To, Jedda, and Korriban. We could meet some races we haven’t seen on screen yet, like the ancient Mandalorians and the Zeffo.

It only became that (barely) in the new trilogy, and then even only in the last movie. Rise of Skywalker (Gods, even the name doesn't make any sense) suddenly brings back Palpatine as this malevolent Force entity that has existed for millennium, Sauron-like in that he can't seem to be really killed. The PT and OT are quite happy to tell their stories in a setting that has a long history, but in no way do they tie into ancient events or even remotely look like they're setting the stage for some final confrontation.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    daveNYC wrote: »

It only became that (barely) in the new trilogy, and then even only in the last movie. Rise of Skywalker (Gods, even the name doesn't make any sense) suddenly brings back Palpatine as this malevolent Force entity that has existed for millennium, Sauron-like in that he can't seem to be really killed. The PT and OT are quite happy to tell their stories in a setting that has a long history, but in no way do they tie into ancient events or even remotely look like they're setting the stage for some final confrontation.

As far back as ANH, it’s hinted at and impressed that the old world, a world of peace and justice that long stood for thousands of years, is rapidly fading and will soon be lost to memory. The other films continue to embellish that notion.

Atomika on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the Jedi and a setting where they're at the height of their power wouldn't be my first choice.

That said, using any other setting than the films is something I wholly support. It prevents conflicting plots and gives each creator more freedom to tell their own stories.

Hopefully whoever is overseeing the project puts a good amount of effort in to maintaining a minimum level of quality.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I would say I'm pretty excited about it but I would be MORE excited about say, an Alphabet Squadron era thing. I feel like so often Star Wars boils down to "THE JEDI" and this will obviously be a shitton of that when I would like to see SPACESHIPS.

I guess the Star Wars thing I will be looking forward to most this year is still Shadow Fall, the Alphabet Squadron sequel.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The whole High Republic think smacks of a whole new era of EU that many people seem to hate. I've been done spending paperback money on a shitton of books I read primarily while on the toilet for a long time now. So I don't think I'll be diving in head first. But I guess I am cautiously optimistic? The quality of the storytelling is the most important thing, so we'll have to wait and see. I agree though the "Skywalker" era of stories are done. Fucking JJ saw to that. The whole franchise needs a new direction now.

I'd be really hype for a story set with the Mandalorean invasion of the Republic as a backdrop.... but that was covered already in the Legends comic series "The Old Republic" from many moons ago. But I agree that I would have preferred to see something in the farther future of the franchise. Alas, thanks to fucking JJ, I'll never see my rekindled space wizard organization called the Skywalkers ranging about the galaxy righting wrongs and bring peace and justice to the galaxy. (Because that's what I wanted the whole Rise of Skywalker to be.... a new Jedi-adjacent organization that Rey forms without the hidebound trappings of the Jedi Order from the ashes of Luke's tree. With that kid from TLJ as grand high poobah and Rey as a statue somewhere. Sigh.)

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Eh. Disney was never going to abandon “Jedi”. And I’m not sure how much control they have over “Skywalker”.

While I agree that it could have made sense and worked in-universe, there are probably business reasons why it wasn’t done.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I have concerns about this direction, but I will reserve judgement until we know more.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm sure this was all planned years before JJ shit the bed anyway. I guess it's ... it's fine? It's at least a different Star Wars setting.

Sadly, I guess we will be living in prequel territory again for a long time because making a sequel to Rise of Skywalker involves having to deal with just so much trash. TROS shit all over so much and left so little to work with in it's wake.

shryke on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Given all the High Republic stuff (more books and comics and since I doubt it'll be at the quality level or impact of Warhammer 40k or matter to TV and movies, I struggle caring), I was reminded to watch the first episode of the new Clone Wars season.

I thought it was an odd way to start things? I felt....nothing.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    The issue I have is that, for an entity that has existed for “1000 generations”, going back 200 years doesn’t seem like enough distance.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm disappointed there's no D-Wing, and thus no way of making endless cheap "Give 'em the D" type laughs. The squad leader demanding the order for them attack has to be couched as "We want the D". Amusingly shaped attack formations, etc. Just a terrible missed opportunity all round.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/D-Wing_Space_Superiority_Fighter

That ship looks nothing like a penis, this is why people dont like the EU.

It's also just generally ugly and stupid as shit.

Which, again, why people don't like the EU.

Many of the EU ships are ugly or boring as hell. The E-Wing is generic as all hell. It kind of looks like a shittier version of Colonial Vipers from BSG. The K-Wing? Ugly, overdesigned, and they really fucking shoehorned the K in there.

I’ve never been able to make the Sun Crusher register as a ship in my brain.

At most, a brass waffle cone.

I'd never seen a picture before so I had to look it up and wow, that's bad. Somehow young me came away from the book thinking that the Sun Crusher looked like a Star Trek shuttle and that misconception is infinitely better than weird ass cone.

Like, doesn't Kyp mess with one of the torpedoes while in the ship? How the fuck is he supposed to do that if the launcher is at the pointy end of that thing?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    200 Years ago means we can get hip teen Yoda in his prime. He'll have cool sunglasses, and a leather jacket, and he'll snap his fingers and point at the ladies with finger guns and say catch phrases like "want this, you do."

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    200 Years ago means we can get hip teen Yoda in his prime. He'll have cool sunglasses, and a leather jacket, and he'll snap his fingers and point at the ladies with finger guns and say catch phrases like "want this, you do."

He's like a millenia old right? You'd have to go back at least 600, 700 years.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

In The Mandalorian, Baby Yoda is said to be 50 years old. This species ages much differently than humans and if you went back 600 or 700 years, he'd probably be like a child around age 8-10 (in human terms).

• Options

In The Mandalorian, Baby Yoda is said to be 50 years old. This species ages much differently than humans and if you went back 600 or 700 years, he'd probably be like a child around age 8-10 (in human terms).

He's for sure an old dude by the time of the OT. I'm gonna guess he's fully adult by two or three hundred years old.

Plus it wouldn't shock me to learn that the child is the human equivalent of a kid in kindergarten or so.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Yeah, 200 years ago means we might get late mid-life crisis Yoda, who's pimped out his Jedi rocket pod trying to reclaim the virility of his early 400s.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    The whole High Republic think smacks of a whole new era of EU that many people seem to hate. I've been done spending paperback money on a shitton of books I read primarily while on the toilet for a long time now. So I don't think I'll be diving in head first. But I guess I am cautiously optimistic? The quality of the storytelling is the most important thing, so we'll have to wait and see. I agree though the "Skywalker" era of stories are done. Fucking JJ saw to that. The whole franchise needs a new direction now.

I'd be really hype for a story set with the Mandalorean invasion of the Republic as a backdrop.... but that was covered already in the Legends comic series "The Old Republic" from many moons ago. But I agree that I would have preferred to see something in the farther future of the franchise. Alas, thanks to fucking JJ, I'll never see my rekindled space wizard organization called the Skywalkers ranging about the galaxy righting wrongs and bring peace and justice to the galaxy. (Because that's what I wanted the whole Rise of Skywalker to be.... a new Jedi-adjacent organization that Rey forms without the hidebound trappings of the Jedi Order from the ashes of Luke's tree. With that kid from TLJ as grand high poobah and Rey as a statue somewhere. Sigh.)

Like a month ago I would have been saying the same thing but somebody on Twitter convinced me that The Master and the Apprentice was worth reading and now I'm halfway through Bloodlines and it seems like the new EU is pretty good?

For now at least.

• Options
    200 years prior to the OT means that Yoda will have been training Jedi for 600 years.

I assume we’ll also see some secret Sith setting things in motion for the PT.

• Options
    I will say this about current EU canon Star Wars: I LOVE Dr. Aphra, she's become my fav new character alongside her demented fleshbag hating droids. I hope she gets a Disney+ series because I would love to see her in live action, even though she's set during the OT

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I don't need to read about a nominally-democratic superpower at the height of its glory (and hubris), shortly before descending into corruption, fascism, racism, and a host of other 'isms'.

• Options
    edited February 2020

Like a month ago I would have been saying the same thing but somebody on Twitter convinced me that The Master and the Apprentice was worth reading and now I'm halfway through Bloodlines and it seems like the new EU is pretty good?

For now at least.

I did read the Bloodlines trilogy. Because, at the time, I was starved for what happened between ROTJ and TFA. I thought it was hot garbage, myself. YMMV. Poorly paced and written from the perspective of characters I gave less than zero shits about. Tarkin was pretty good and I liked the Thrawn books, but mostly because Thrawn himself is such a cool character. And that Kanan meets Hera book was fine. But I haven't read any of the other stuff.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

For now at least.

I did read the Bloodlines trilogy. Because, at the time, I was starved for what happened between ROTJ and TFA. I thought it was hot garbage, myself. YMMV. Poorly paced and written from the perspective of characters I gave less than zero shits about. Tarkin was pretty good and I liked the Thrawn books, but mostly because Thrawn himself is such a cool character. And that Kanan meets Hera book was fine. But I haven't read any of the other stuff.
    Bloodline is a single book and not a trilogy, and also told entirely from Leia's perspective iirc, so i kinda suspect you did not actually read it

• Options
    I don't need to read about a nominally-democratic superpower at the height of its glory (and hubris), shortly before descending into corruption, fascism, racism, and a host of other 'isms'.

I feel we could use more stories about a nominally-democratic superpower at the height of its glory and the work it takes to keep it that way for everyone, not just a select few in the core systems.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »

For now at least.

Bloodline is a single book and not a trilogy, and also told entirely from Leia's perspective iirc, so i kinda suspect you did not actually read it

My bad. Somehow I confused Bloodline with the Aftermath trilogy.

I indeed did not read Bloodline. Yet I still maintain that Aftermath was garbage.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I feel we could use more stories about a nominally-democratic superpower at the height of its glory and the work it takes to keep it that way for everyone, not just a select few in the core systems.

So then it needs to be set at least 200 years AFTER the movies.

• Options

I think there is some meat to showing the Republic at its prime and the way it handles disruptions to the status quo with just wizard cops and no standing centralized military.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Jedi Knights: Space Rangers sounds pretty rad tho

• Options
    Well, obviously things on the fringes aren’t great, hence things like slavery and Hutt-controlled planets either existing or coming into existence in the near future.

And honestly, any conflict has to remain small enough to not need a central army.

Also, since we know it all falls apart soonish, I’m sure they’ll be planting the seeds of the Sith’s Revenge. The conflicts here will probably be shown to be engineered by the Sith of the day, or at least that they will take advantage of it.

I just think they should have gone much farther back.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    We don't need everything to somehow tie into the films that we've seen already.

We can just have stories that take place in the setting.

What I love about the EU is how wild and varied you can get with it. What I hate about the EU is invariably people want to craft elaborate backstories for every single character on-screen and how they're all interlinked, see?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I think there is some meat to showing the Republic at its prime and the way it handles disruptions to the status quo with just wizard cops and no standing centralized military.

The textual evidence is, it really doesn't. Aside from trust, goodwill, social norms and sheer inertia.
    (Note that a certain amount of corruption and turning a blind eye to "other people's problems", out on the Rim/in Hutt space, is also part of that status quo.)
    Until, after centuries of erosion, a cunning and shameless manipulator comes along...

• Options
    Yes, this doesn’t have to tie in to what we know is coming.

But I don’t think they’re going to push this new era, set in the lifetime of Yoda, and not at least hint at what’s coming.

Hell, we could even see the droids, if we’re assuming Anakin didn’t program a protocol droid brain.

Also, fuck Baby Yoda, now we got Baby Chewie! :P

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm listening to a podcast about 2 people who had never seen star wars before, their thoughts on the OT make me think if I was going to show all of star wars to a kid (or someone that had almost no context for the movies) I would do it in the following order:

The Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Mandalorian
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

...and then I would hope some more stuff will have been made because I honestly don't want to show someone RoS

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.