As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] so you didn't send the fish Jedi immediately because...?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm listening to a podcast about 2 people who had never seen star wars before, their thoughts on the OT make me think if I was going to show all of star wars to a kid (or someone that had almost no context for the movies) I would do it in the following order:

The Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Mandalorian
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

...and then I would hope some more stuff will have been made because I honestly don't want to show someone RoS

Throw a few hours of good Clone Wars episodes between TPM and RotS, focusing on fleshing out Anakin
    Sub out Solo (or dont) and put the best episodes of Rebels in there.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm disappointed there's no D-Wing, and thus no way of making endless cheap "Give 'em the D" type laughs. The squad leader demanding the order for them attack has to be couched as "We want the D". Amusingly shaped attack formations, etc. Just a terrible missed opportunity all round.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/D-Wing_Space_Superiority_Fighter

That ship looks nothing like a penis, this is why people dont like the EU.

It's also just generally ugly and stupid as shit.

Which, again, why people don't like the EU.

Many of the EU ships are ugly or boring as hell. The E-Wing is generic as all hell. It kind of looks like a shittier version of Colonial Vipers from BSG. The K-Wing? Ugly, overdesigned, and they really fucking shoehorned the K in there.

I’ve never been able to make the Sun Crusher register as a ship in my brain.

At most, a brass waffle cone.

I'd never seen a picture before so I had to look it up and wow, that's bad. Somehow young me came away from the book thinking that the Sun Crusher looked like a Star Trek shuttle and that misconception is infinitely better than weird ass cone.

Like, doesn't Kyp mess with one of the torpedoes while in the ship? How the fuck is he supposed to do that if the launcher is at the pointy end of that thing?

He single-handedly murders an entire populated solar system and the Jedi jurisprudence, after thinking about it for whole hours, rules "Well, the devil Sith ghost made him do it, and he's clearly sorry. Welcome back to the fold, brother."

The whole Sun Crusher affair is all kinds of stupid, but it's really not really the dumb looking ship that's the problem. It's not really any stupider looking than the not-flying-fortresses or any of the other weird designs that, in trying to look different, might just end up looking dumb.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just have them watch in release order. If this is a real person with agency over their entertainment starting with the prequels would just make them say 'this is crap I don't want to watch any more'.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm disappointed there's no D-Wing, and thus no way of making endless cheap "Give 'em the D" type laughs. The squad leader demanding the order for them attack has to be couched as "We want the D". Amusingly shaped attack formations, etc. Just a terrible missed opportunity all round.

Many of the EU ships are ugly or boring as hell. The E-Wing is generic as all hell. It kind of looks like a shittier version of Colonial Vipers from BSG. The K-Wing? Ugly, overdesigned, and they really fucking shoehorned the K in there.

I'd never seen a picture before so I had to look it up and wow, that's bad. Somehow young me came away from the book thinking that the Sun Crusher looked like a Star Trek shuttle and that misconception is infinitely better than weird ass cone.

Like, doesn't Kyp mess with one of the torpedoes while in the ship? How the fuck is he supposed to do that if the launcher is at the pointy end of that thing?

He single-handedly murders an entire populated solar system and the Jedi jurisprudence, after thinking about it for whole hours, rules "Well, the devil Sith ghost made him do it, and he's clearly sorry. Welcome back to the fold, brother."

The whole Sun Crusher affair is all kinds of stupid, but it's really not really the dumb looking ship that's the problem. It's not really any stupider looking than the not-flying-fortresses or any of the other weird designs that, in trying to look different, might just end up looking dumb.

Which is why I, Jedi is such a great book.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The issue I have is that, for an entity that has existed for “1000 generations”, going back 200 years doesn’t seem like enough distance.

My favorite part is that the High Republic name is such a fucking lie.

Like, okay, there needs to be a distinction between what fans have started to think of as the Old Republic (the really old shit, thousands of years back), and the Republic of relatively recent history (1000 years old and younger, as that's when the Jedi "finally" "defeated" the Sith) but before the Sith start bringing shit down. The name Old should of course be for the older version. And because there's no Sith around to keep starting wars, it's the pinnacle of galactic society. It's the High Republic.

It's not. The Sith are around. They're deliberately corrupting the Republic, using wealth and power and influence to making the Republic work worse, in order to get people to accept a monarch with absolute power (i.e. a Sith Lord in disguise). If it was 200 years into the supposed 1000 years of peace and plenty, with a relatively young and sprightly Yoda, sure, but 200 before the fall still feels way too close, in the grand time scales of Star Wars.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

He also stuffs himself into a missile after he sets the autopilot to fly into a black hole.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    The issue I have is that, for an entity that has existed for “1000 generations”, going back 200 years doesn’t seem like enough distance.

Like, okay, there needs to be a distinction between what fans have started to think of as the Old Republic (the really old shit, thousands of years back), and the Republic of relatively recent history (1000 years old and younger, as that's when the Jedi "finally" "defeated" the Sith) but before the Sith start bringing shit down. The name Old should of course be for the older version. And because there's no Sith around to keep starting wars, it's the pinnacle of galactic society. It's the High Republic.

It's not. The Sith are around. They're deliberately corrupting the Republic, using wealth and power and influence to making the Republic work worse, in order to get people to accept a monarch with absolute power (i.e. a Sith Lord in disguise). If it was 200 years into the supposed 1000 years of peace and plenty, with a relatively young and sprightly Yoda, sure, but 200 before the fall still feels way too close, in the grand time scales of Star Wars.

But it's not the old republic and it's not the new republic and "The Middle Aged Republic" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Maybe the "Boomer Republic" because it's this generation that thought it was at the apex of it's game but was actually setting up a corrupt would be authoritarian with dim views on the rule of law and fucking over all their descendants because they're afraid of all these aliens and robots coming to replace them.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The Wookiee Jedi's name is out in the wild.
    Burryaga Agaburry

Have any previous Wookiees had a family name before?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

But it's not the old republic and it's not the new republic and "The Middle Aged Republic" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Maybe the "Boomer Republic" because it's this generation that thought it was at the apex of it's game but was actually setting up a corrupt would be authoritarian with dim views on the rule of law and fucking over all their descendants because they're afraid of all these aliens and robots coming to replace them.

Gilded Republic?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Burryaga Agaburry

Chewbacca’s surname is McCoy

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Edit: whoops double post! Sith magic confused me

Zavian on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That's the same video from two pages ago.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    200 years before the PT/OT feels not far back enough. Is that the confirmed timeframe for the setting, or just internet guesswork? I didn't see anything on the video on first view that stated this.

Like if the High Republic was the replacement of the Old Republic of the EU, that'd be great. Using Arthurian legend as reference as the video mentioned would work too because the HR/OR could be this long ago mythological time of peace and prosperity that's about to draw to an end. 1000+ years would fit with that, leaving the Republic of the PT as a pale shadow of its former self.

Use Revan as a Mordred/Lancelot analogue, the Sith/Dark Jedi as a Nimue/Morgan le Fay, etc.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wookieepedia pegs it at 200~ years BBY, so yeah.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Also treating the Force with a more mystical/magic nature would be great too. I like the idea hinted at in Rebels and other works that for all their knowledge the Jedi of the Repulic in the PT onward had a very limited idea on what the Force actually was and how it worked.

When you have stuff like the World between Worlds, the temple on Malachor, Korriban, Dathomir and the Nightsisters, everything about Exegol, and Ahch-To, it points to something far beyond midichlorians and lightsabers

• Options

well butts

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    200 years before the PT/OT feels not far back enough. Is that the confirmed timeframe for the setting, or just internet guesswork? I didn't see anything on the video on first view that stated this.

Like if the High Republic was the replacement of the Old Republic of the EU, that'd be great. Using Arthurian legend as reference as the video mentioned would work too because the HR/OR could be this long ago mythological time of peace and prosperity that's about to draw to an end. 1000+ years would fit with that, leaving the Republic of the PT as a pale shadow of its former self.

Use Revan as a Mordred/Lancelot analogue, the Sith/Dark Jedi as a Nimue/Morgan le Fay, etc.

It's in the video.

I think the issue is Star Wars as a universe has a pretty stagnate technological and societal structure. For us 200 years is a long time. 200 years ago we didn't know what germs were, photography hadn't been developed, most folks were illiterate, and we were still using sails to move around the globe. The town 15 miles over was a long trip.

In Star Wars 200 years ago they still had blasters, light sabers, hyperdrives, Coruscant is still a giant city planet, and the Republic still rules with its weird pseudo-Senate made up of independent worlds. You have more light side wizard folks and hidden mad dark side wizard folks. And if you moved a person from 220 BBY to 20 BBY they might not notice a lot of changes.

Also screw you Disney I am still going to use before battle of Yavin 4 and After the battle of Yavin 4

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    In the High Republic era people talked faster, wore hats and holopapers hadn't yet been killed off by the holovision.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    This has annoyed me for so long.

BBY... yavin didnt solve anything. It would be either BE (before the empire) or BBE (before the battle of endor).

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

BBY... yavin didnt solve anything. It would be either BE (before the empire) or BBE (before the battle of endor).

I mean the recent movies showed neither did Endor.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

It makes sense as a nondiegetic method of letting people know when stuff is in relation to the first movie, but as a canonical time keeping system it's dumb.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Star Wars = High Fantasy + World War 2 in space.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Since TPM canonized that the Sith haven't had any mainstream presence in over 1,000 years, who are the Jedi fighting?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Star Wars = High Fantasy + World War 2 in space.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Since TPM canonized that the Sith haven't had any mainstream presence in over 1,000 years, who are the Jedi fighting?

SPACE APACHES wait no we can't do that anymore VIKINGS

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Burryaga Agaburry

Is the first name uncomfortably close to Boyega, or am I reading too much into it?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Regarding this new Wookiee
    I’m thinking former Met Benny Agbayani.

And I suppose they’ll retcon in a family name for Chewie

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Charles Soule, who's penning Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi noted about the new Wookiee, "He is amazing. He’s very sensitive. He’s a very, very sensitive Jedi."
    Aww, a sensitive Wookiee! New Life Day Holiday Special incoming?!?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm listening to a podcast about 2 people who had never seen star wars before, their thoughts on the OT make me think if I was going to show all of star wars to a kid (or someone that had almost no context for the movies) I would do it in the following order:

The Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Mandalorian
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

...and then I would hope some more stuff will have been made because I honestly don't want to show someone RoS

Way to bury the lead, you're talking about Newcomers with Laura Lapkiss and Nicole Byers, right? Everyone should be listening to this podcast.

It's amazing to listen to very funny people talking about Star Wars with fresh eyes and land on the SAME COMPLAINTS fans had when all this stuff was released originally.

For example, they both bump on the switch to CGI from the OT and it's amazing. Two people, not even fans just new, immediately said "go back to real effects and puppetry" after watching TPM. It was fantastic.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

It makes sense as a nondiegetic method of letting people know when stuff is in relation to the first movie, but as a canonical time keeping system it's dumb.

This is a much more elegant way of how I was gonna say it.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    SPACE APACHES wait no we can't do that anymore VIKINGS

My favorite part is that Zoom's comment is not a joke.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Mandalorian
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

Way to bury the lead, you're talking about Newcomers with Laura Lapkiss and Nicole Byers, right? Everyone should be listening to this podcast.

It's amazing to listen to very funny people talking about Star Wars with fresh eyes and land on the SAME COMPLAINTS fans had when all this stuff was released originally.

For example, they both bump on the switch to CGI from the OT and it's amazing. Two people, not even fans just new, immediately said "go back to real effects and puppetry" after watching TPM. It was fantastic.

Yeah, but it's different to be saying that now as opposed to when the movie was released and those effects were state of the art, twenty-one years ago. (Unless their point was specifically that CGI ages poorly compared to practical effects.)

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I dunno. There was a Yoda puppet in TPM originally.

It was not good.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Mandalorian
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

Woah woah woah if Nicole Byer is in it I will listen.

She is very funny.

• Options
    Watching the second episode of the new season of The Clone Wars.
    Padme and Anakin. The worst kept secret in the Republic. The fact that Obi-won just walks up and knows what is going on and even says to Anakin, "I hope you at least said hi to Padme for me" says a lot.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So I have listened to the first two episodes of the podcast. It's pretty funny although as a terrible internet star wars nerd the fan expert they bring on keeps making mistakes and it bothers me.

"Yeah I think they shot some of the first one in Africa, Morocco I think?"
    "UH ITS FUCKING TUNISIA MY DUDE COME ON"

• Options
    Oh I also finished the 20 essential Clone Wars episodes. The arc where Ahsoka is written out of the Jedi Order so she doesn't have to get murdered was really good. I had initially thought that Maul was behind it some way because the the episode before Palpatine is like "I have other plans for you bwahahahahaha."

So, speaking of, Tim Curry is like the most distracting possible Palpatine voice when he started talking I was like "is that fucking Tim Curry?" Also, when Palpy swings by Mandalore to fuck up Maul the fact that he goes to town with two lightsabers is just duuuuumb. Like he's a level ten million force wizard just lightning his ass. Where is the Palpatine who taunted Luke for his useless Jedi weapon? It's like nobody who makes Star Wars after the OT actually respects anything in it and it's just fan servicey whatever is cool in the moment.

Also none of the 20 most essential episodes include anything from the now penultimate season. Does that mean I just shouldn't bother?

My overall impression based almost entirely on those 20 episodes was "pretty good."

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    RE: the two saber fight -

1. It looks cool
    2. What's more humiliating than getting your ass kicked by a guy known for not getting his hands dirty? Sure, Palps could've lightning blasted them, but the message sent this way is even more striking - "I'm better than the two of you combined in the skills you're best at. You are nothing more than playthings, and your entire lives are in accordance to my whims."

Besides, it's not like Clone Wars Palps didn't play around. The entire Yoda fight in RoS was Palps having fun. He could've ended that fight whenever he wanted, but the goal wasn't just to defeat/kill Yoda, but to humiliate him. To show him the superiority of the Sith. The Maul + Savage fight was the same in that regard.

Regarding the former last season, it is good. It essentially dovetails straight into RoS. Since it was on Netflix it's a bit darker than the other seasons. Where previous seasons would imply the deaths of Clone Troopers and others largely off screen, that season showed more.

• Options
    My only issue with Palpatine fighting with two sabers is that it would've been a lot more badass if he had fought with one.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    He should have also said that that was what he was doing. When palpatine goes ham he has stopped being subtle.

They could have

Maul: youre good for an old man, but just that. I will outlast you
    Palpatine: you think i need this to beat you? This is a crutch. A useless tool of the jedi. It only slows you down if you can walk on your own. I brought it to show you that i was better than you at the thing you define yourself by. I was toying with you. But now i am done. *palpatine throws the lightsaber away*. Kneel
    Maul: foolish, old man. *maul charges*
    *palpatine crushes maul with the force*
    Palpatine: i said kneel

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    RE: the two saber fight -

1. It looks cool
    2. What's more humiliating than getting your ass kicked by a guy known for not getting his hands dirty? Sure, Palps could've lightning blasted them, but the message sent this way is even more striking - "I'm better than the two of you combined in the skills you're best at. You are nothing more than playthings, and your entire lives are in accordance to my whims."

Besides, it's not like Clone Wars Palps didn't play around. The entire Yoda fight in RoS was Palps having fun. He could've ended that fight whenever he wanted, but the goal wasn't just to defeat/kill Yoda, but to humiliate him. To show him the superiority of the Sith. The Maul + Savage fight was the same in that regard.

Regarding the former last season, it is good. It essentially dovetails straight into RoS. Since it was on Netflix it's a bit darker than the other seasons. Where previous seasons would imply the deaths of Clone Troopers and others largely off screen, that season showed more.

I mean I also thought Palpatine (or especially Yoda) fighting with lightsabers for any reason in the movies is also dumb.

And like, you can do a lot of stuff if your only goal is to look cool in the moment. That's what the transformers movies are built on. That doesn't mean it's GOOD. There was no way to make Palpatine seem cool while also being a Force wizard? Maybe he doesn't lightning blast them. Maybe he could use a mind trick of maximum power to manipulate Savage into fighting Maul, forcing Maul to weaken and tire himself out fighting his own brother. Maybe Palpatine isn't a master warrior, but he's capable of using the force to make himself appear faster, in multiple places, or disappear without warning and attack from a new angle. Maybe he uses his powerful telekinesis to make little constructs to fight for him out of the building materials near him, or creates a whirlwind of objects that overwhelm Maul's ability to parry. Like ALL the force is good for in a combat situation is flippy lightsaber fighting? No matter how powerful you become with the force, the ultimate skill is just being able to jump around with two lightsabers when you should be getting a hip replacement instead?

The dark side could be more about stealth and deception and playing with your opponent's emotions. Palpatine should be pretty good at a lot of those things consider multiple very powerful Jedi stand near him multiple times and never notice all the evil roiling beneath the surface.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    So I’ve never watched Clone Wars aside from a handful of episodes through the years. Watched the premiere of the new season though and boy was it good! I’m glad it was pretty new viewer friendly. I was pleasantly surprised!

This discussion has been closed.