Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Sessler Review. He is back.
    https://youtu.be/6gXBVz7OT0k

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Finished it, just under 9 hours.
    Good horror game, terrible Resident Evil game. The horror of the earlier games is that this seems like a real thing that could happen and its happening to relatable people in a relatable place. I had no attachment whatsoever to the people of the village because there's no real evidence of them existing prior to my turning up, especially in the numbers of Lycans there are and that's not accounting for failed experiments. The setting is pretty dull because it's all wooden houses or stone buildings, and the designers aesthetic intentional or otherwise, seems to always lead to limited ideas for mold enemies. They're all gray, desaturated, boring, and again, no attachment to them so there's tension but no horror.

Castle Dimestrecu was fun, the haunted house was a bit ott, quite a few too many invincible enemies you have to just run from in general in the game, the MOreau section is dull and the interesting parts are reading about some of the experiments, and the Heisenberg area is terrible. Industrial aesthetic, so huge as to be ridiculous that it exists, and the convenient polymer tank needed for the fight. The most interesting area was Mirdanda's lab, although little new info comes up and the second I started reading the Oswald entry I knew where it was going.

The story overall is...ok. So were Mia and Ethan just happening to live by the village they needed to be by? But Chris moved them there? I had no attachment to baby Rose (adult Rose seemed baller), she had a weird inhuman design. Didn't Ethan take an antidote to the mold infection? Is Rose special because Ethan and Mia were infected? Was Mia cured? I don't know, maybe there were some files I missed but I was pretty thorough in my exploration. I was interested in getting to the end, but I think the villain motivation is pretty dull, and it changes the atmosphere a lot when you're not actively trying to escape a horror force but invade it.

I don't know how I feel in retrospect. I absolutely have no desire to play through again and some of the better weapons were so expensive that I had to choose upgrades for the ones I had or the new ones. I'm not really a fan of the modern style of merchants and such. This line just doesn't seem to be for me.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I wonder if the dev team regrets killing off Lady D as soon as they did now.

Memes aside, I do like her a lot more than the other lords of cinder. I think they thought Heisenberg would be the most popular one but I though he was just kind of....eh?

Puppet lord had potential but that whole section felt so small and over quickly. A lot of untapped potential.

Kind of happy that shit ended when it did, tbh.

I loved it, but I wouldn't have loved another 30 minutes of it.
    The fact that there was no creepy chasing/stalking sequence with the puppets is what I was missing.

I wanted Child's Play but what I got was just kind of a giant baby and a quick game of hide and seek.

Don't get me wrong, whats there is good, brevity and all that but still feels like you spend more time drugged than actually interacting with the theme of Donna which was that she was a creepy ass puppeteer.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    edit: double post

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Memes aside, I do like her a lot more than the other lords of cinder. I think they thought Heisenberg would be the most popular one but I though he was just kind of....eh?

Puppet lord had potential but that whole section felt so small and over quickly. A lot of untapped potential.

In discussing that sequence lately I've learned some people like their potential untapped.

Not me per say, I strongly agree with you. This is I guess a dramatic way to put it but
    the entire sequence felt insultingly shallow, to me - aping the affectations of psychological horror without a shred of the thoughtful character construction (and de-struction) the finer titles offer.

And don't get me started on da baby. Awesome visual and sound work - and with that I'm out of nice things to say.

I feel in hindsight the reason I wish Lady D'd part was bigger might be because Castle D is the strongest sequence in the game. To me. She's not a great character, per say, but she was my creepy stalker for the part of the game I would've enjoyed more of.

Castle D, good. Village okay.
    Factory decent.

Swamp boring. Dollhouse boring. First twenty minutes boring. Too much boring for me.

...but I love discussing it, it seems.

Here's the thing I've learned

Having "untapped potential" means you COULD have had more, and what you got was good

Going past that could easy go into "Wore out their welcome", which is far worse a thing and much harder to judge

For me the sequence was more "terribly done" than not-quite-gettin'-there. I know some people feel it's a highlight but for me, eccch. Insultingly poor story and gameplay for that whole sequence. You order a pizza from that shitty place you like and it's 3/4 that shitty pizza you expected, and 1/4 an attempt at a sweet, non-savory dessert pizza you did not request, and moreover it's so bad it makes you vomit.

And then you go to the pizza discussion forums the next day and everyone's talking about how refreshing and awesome the dessert quarters from this place are.

Point is my taste buds may be shot. And I might be hungry.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

In discussing that sequence lately I've learned some people like their potential untapped.

Not me per say, I strongly agree with you. This is I guess a dramatic way to put it but
    the entire sequence felt insultingly shallow, to me - aping the affectations of psychological horror without a shred of the thoughtful character construction (and de-struction) the finer titles offer.

And don't get me started on da baby. Awesome visual and sound work - and with that I'm out of nice things to say.

I feel in hindsight the reason I wish Lady D'd part was bigger might be because Castle D is the strongest sequence in the game. To me. She's not a great character, per say, but she was my creepy stalker for the part of the game I would've enjoyed more of.

Factory decent.

Swamp boring. Dollhouse boring. First twenty minutes boring. Too much boring for me.

Having "untapped potential" means you COULD have had more, and what you got was good

Going past that could easy go into "Wore out their welcome", which is far worse a thing and much harder to judge

For me the sequence was more "terribly done" than not-quite-gettin'-there. I know some people feel it's a highlight but for me, eccch. Insultingly poor story and gameplay for that whole sequence. You order a pizza from that shitty place you like and it's 3/4 that shitty pizza you expected, and 1/4 an attempt at a sweet, non-savory dessert pizza you did not request, and moreover it's so bad it makes you vomit.

And then you go to the pizza discussion forums the next day and everyone's talking about how refreshing and awesome the dessert quarters from this place are.

I know, but I can't help but think that maybe you're expecting something from an RE game (especially story wise) that, after over a dozen entires into the series is probably unrealistic and never existed.

This may not be the series to give you what you want, to be clear. RE is horror camp, and survives on its surface level goofiness. Always has.

I recommended Darkwood on PC as that seems more up your alley.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Resident Evil is supposed to play off B grade horror movies. The seventh one got a little too close to high end horror. I like the sheer weirdness of this new one.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Resident Evil games are full of lots of genuinely frightening, unsettling or gross stuff...but all that is also tempered by loads of campy nonsense and the ability to solve most of your problems with a magnum bullet.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    There's a fine line between camp and bad story. I think RE8's presentation is a bit higher than camp. Look at how RE1 was acted. RE4 is peak camp IMO and perfect.

Mind you that I enjoyed 8 a whole lot. I also love campy horror flicks (80s horror for life). I don't think I'd call it campy. But it might be because I'm used to it? I'd call it more modern horror.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I keep seeing "resident evil has always been..." but who else played the original games on PS1 vs its peers? Once upon a time RE's shittiness was state of the art. We had full fmv cutscenes, people. We had doors where the knobs turned before you watched it swing open in three dazzling dimensions. The dogs jumped through the fucking window.

The only game at the time that exceeded it was MGS1. It was a shocking experience. It was as good as you'd ever seen and helped define what was possible.

RE1-3 took themselves relatively seriously. 4 went campy. 5 went hoodoo masks. 6 I skipped, 7 I skipped. RE hasn't always been so far below the bar in so many areas. Once upon a time you could expect an RE game to be about as good as a game could be.

And I get that I'm not comparing RE8 only to the other Resident Evils - I'm comparing it to every horror-clothed game I've ever played - but that ain't unfair to me. It's a video game in a specific genre, and it's fair to compare Call of Duty to Battlefield.

Factory decent.

I know, but I can't help but think that maybe you're expecting something from an RE game (especially story wise) that, after over a dozen entires into the series is probably unrealistic and never existed.

This may not be the series to give you what you want, to be clear. RE is horror camp, and survives on its surface level goofiness. Always has.

I recommended Darkwood on PC as that seems more up your alley.

Yeah yeah darkwood darkwood - I'm enjoying 3make atm.

I'm familiar with Resident Evil. I didn't see trailers for 8 that made me lean forward in my seat and say "now this looks like a startlingly nuanced investigation of the psychology of ptsd." My expectations aren't dashed - I went into it with rock-bottom expectations which shot up 'till about 1/3 of the way through castle D, petered out and smashed into the ground in the dollhouse. I don't wanna return the conversation to the dollhouse sequence and kind of investigate all the problems I have with it - who cares, really? I'm allowed to feel that stupid shit is stupid, and anyone here is free to say they think Fatal Frame II is overrated.

I'm not saying RE shouldn't be camp. You can be big and crazy and ridiculous and still be hugely involving for the player. You can do all that and not do it badly. Has no one else here seen Velocipastor? Yet I still believe it's prudent to notice something shitty - give it a sniff, play through it a few times - and be able to say "that's a bit shit."

It's not all shit! But it's way shittier than I expected. And 3make is wayyy better. 8's just prettier.

I do earnestly apologize if anyone feels I'm shitting on this thing you like. I'm not trying to do that, I'm just speakin' my truuuuuuth.

Chance on
  • Options
    And when I play Rift Apart next month if it's not pretty much exactly like every other Ratchet & Clank I'mma' be pissed.

• Options
    Never fear. Almost all of the R&C games are roughly the same and I love them so much.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    There's a fine line between camp and bad story. I think RE8's presentation is a bit higher than camp. Look at how RE1 was acted. RE4 is peak camp IMO and perfect.

Mind you that I enjoyed 8 a whole lot. I also love campy horror flicks (80s horror for life). I don't think I'd call it campy. But it might be because I'm used to it? I'd call it more modern horror.

Oh I see Lady D and the daughters, Heisenberg and Miranda just chewing the scenery with reckless abandon and that screams really campy to me. But the term IS super subjective.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I keep seeing "resident evil has always been..." but who else played the original games on PS1 vs its peers? Once upon a time RE's shittiness was state of the art. We had full fmv cutscenes, people. We had doors where the knobs turned before you watched it swing open in three dazzling dimensions. The dogs jumped through the fucking window.

While this is true, a Jill Sandwich has always been a Jill Sandwich Master of Unlocking.

• Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Oh I see Lady D and the daughters, Heisenberg and Miranda just chewing the scenery with reckless abandon and that screams really campy to me. But the term IS super subjective.

Yeah I think my reason for not calling it camp is because they take it seriously and it's presented like a high budget movie. But, again, it might be because I'm so used to it now lol

• Options
    Never fear. Almost all of the R&C games are roughly the same and I love them so much.

Except for those egregious spin offs like All4One or the tower defense. Much like the dollhouse sequence. Stay in your lane, dynamic duo!

Deadlocked was good.

Oooh I think I just thought of the best modern example of a campy story in a video game that actually works - the last two Mortal Kombats. Anyone who's played those story modes got several movies that were way better than the one that just came out.

• Options

Except for those egregious spin offs like All4One or the tower defense. Much like the dollhouse sequence. Stay in your lane, dynamic duo!

Deadlocked was good.

Oooh I think I just thought of the best modern example of a campy story in a video game that actually works - the last two Mortal Kombats. Anyone who's played those story modes got several movies that were way better than the one that just came out.

That is an excellent example. The latest was such a disappointment. It wasn't bad. It was just average. I'd watch the first two before that one haha.

• Options

Deadlocked was good.

That is an excellent example. The latest was such a disappointment. It wasn't bad. It was just average. I'd watch the first two before that one haha.

s7f7gub97u7t.jpg

The scorpion and sub zero stuff was awesome tho.

• Options

Yeah I think my reason for not calling it camp is because they take it seriously and it's presented like a high budget movie. But, again, it might be because I'm so used to it now lol

Yeah the actual definition of what camp means is something that there's been a HUGE amount of debate about which is...probably too much to get into right here.

But yeah RE8 does take itself pretty seriously, but it's filled with moments of absurdity that makes me wonder "Am I actually supposed to take this seriously?" and that kind of confusion just adds to the enjoyment for me.

• Options

Yeah the actual definition of what camp means is something that there's been a HUGE amount of debate about which is...probably too much to get into right here.

But yeah RE8 does take itself pretty seriously, but it's filled with moments of absurdity that makes me wonder "Am I actually supposed to take this seriously?" and that kind of confusion just adds to the enjoyment for me.

Oh yeah let me be clear: I didn't hate it at all. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game. I hate that I have to reiterate this point but I feel it's necessary lol.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Oh and the term "camp" -

come to think of it, hasn't camp also kind of been intended as intellectually subversive? The grotesquely ludicrous? The ludicrously grotesque?

(Googles it)

"ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals…”

k we're using the wrong word.

Chance on
  • Options
    I always consider Killer Klowns From Outer Space to be my go-to camp example. But the younger crowd hasn't seen that movie before. What's a good modern example? I feel like 80s camp is the best.

• Options
    Here's what I was looking for - ludicrously tragic:

"John Waters (b. 1946), one of the most well-known camp filmmakers, defined camp (when he was a guest star on TV's The Simpsons [Fox, beginning 1989]) as the "tragically ludicrous" or the "ludicrously tragic"—something so seriously sad, bad, or inept, that the only response one can make is to laugh at it."

• Options
    Anyway I'm sorry for the diversion. I drank too much and was enjoying The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs and decided to start that convo. I'm pretty sure as soon as I hit the pillow I'm gone.

• Options
    I always consider Killer Klowns From Outer Space to be my go-to camp example. But the younger crowd hasn't seen that movie before. What's a good modern example? I feel like 80s camp is the best.

Army of the Dead.

• Options
    Here's what I was looking for - ludicrously tragic:

"John Waters (b. 1946), one of the most well-known camp filmmakers, defined camp (when he was a guest star on TV's The Simpsons [Fox, beginning 1989]) as the "tragically ludicrous" or the "ludicrously tragic"—something so seriously sad, bad, or inept, that the only response one can make is to laugh at it."

I thought that's where that quote came from haha.

• Options

Army of the Dead.

I haven't seen it yet. Is it really campy? I am honestly sick to death of Zack Snyder's name thanks to his rabid fanbase on Twitter so I've been mentally ignoring it lol. But zombie movies are great so maybe next weekend.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Anyway I'm sorry for the diversion. I drank too much and was enjoying The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs and decided to start that convo. I'm pretty sure as soon as I hit the pillow I'm gone.

Oh you're fine. I actually wanted to talk about this much more but it's getting pretty late, and the John Waters quote Chance mentioned pretty much sums it all up.

But hey, I also think Killer Klowns from Outer Space is great too!

Shenl742 on
  • Options

Army of the Dead.

I haven't seen it yet. Is it really campy? I am honestly sick to death of Zack Snyder's name thanks to his rabid fanbase on Twitter so I've been mentally ignoring it lol. But zombie movies are great so maybe next weekend.

...no it's just some fun silly zombie killing action. It's not campy like RE8, it's... well-executed.

• Options
    Is the Underworld series campy?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Is the Underworld series campy?

Could be. Only saw the first and I didn't enjoy it, but I felt it was trying so hard to be Cool that it ended up looking super silly

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The earlier games might have some campy moments but I dont think it was ever deliberate, it was just bad 90s video game acting and translating from the before 'fore time. 4 is where it's deliberately going for it and giving up the pretense of horror.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Something minor that irritates me, and this might be amplified by my multiple playthroughs: I wish Capcom, or the voice director, had bothered with, I dunno, 2 minutes of research in the years of development on how to pronounce "Dimitrescu" and tell Alcina's VA. She says it almost like "Dimitresque", and it's weird.
    AND WHILE WE'RE AT IT
    I also wish that the signs in the village were in Romanian, with subtitles popping up when you look at them.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    The
    Chris section is a huge misstep as well IMO. I felt so powerless which seems to be the opposite of what i'm meant to feel because the rifle seems to crit more often. But against hordes the bullets run out too fast and it took too long to reload. Going from Ethan with upgrade shotgun/magnum/sniper and the grenade launcher to Chris made it feel really slow and the guns just seemed weak in what was definitely the most gung ho action part of the game. Keep the hordes, but the guns needed to be beefier or have a higher ammo capacity to avoid the constant slow down towards the end where I'm balancing between targeting that mold mound and not dying.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The earlier games might have some campy moments but I dont think it was ever deliberate, it was just bad 90s video game acting and translating from the before 'fore time. 4 is where it's deliberately going for it and giving up the pretense of horror.

One of the movies RE was based on is about a killer grizzly bear

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

The only game at the time that exceeded it was MGS1. It was a shocking experience. It was as good as you'd ever seen and helped define what was possible.

Oh I was all on RE back in the PS1 days. I loved it. But all it was was jump scares. Err, 1 jump scare. The dog, specifically.

It's difficult to be scary as a barely working 3D model with bad VO when shit like Phantasmagoria had been released the year prior. Or the nasty ass Harvester the same year.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I just don't think horror worked in video games like people intended it to in the 1990's when XCom 1 was the scariest game for a solid decade after its release.

• Options
    The
    Chris section is a huge misstep as well IMO. I felt so powerless which seems to be the opposite of what i'm meant to feel because the rifle seems to crit more often. But against hordes the bullets run out too fast and it took too long to reload. Going from Ethan with upgrade shotgun/magnum/sniper and the grenade launcher to Chris made it feel really slow and the guns just seemed weak in what was definitely the most gung ho action part of the game. Keep the hordes, but the guns needed to be beefier or have a higher ammo capacity to avoid the constant slow down towards the end where I'm balancing between targeting that mold mound and not dying.

About the mold
    You can target it while moving and the lycans have a very hard time keeping up with you

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Oh I was all on RE back in the PS1 days. I loved it. But all it was was jump scares. Err, 1 jump scare. The dog, specifically.

It's difficult to be scary as a barely working 3D model with bad VO when shit like Phantasmagoria had been released the year prior. Or the nasty ass Harvester the same year.

Hard disagree, RE1 had creepy, spooky atmosphere, and I think it made good use of the angles and prerendered backgrounds, even with their limitations at the time. Reducing it down to one jumpscare is...I don't even know how you do that tbh. It's okay if it didn't work for you, and Harvester and X-Com scared you more, but it's a horror game classic for a reason, and it ain't the dog.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    The

About the mold
    You can target it while moving and the lycans have a very hard time keeping up with you
    Pro-hax: you only need to target it at the last second, you can "warm it up" pointing at whatever the hell you want before that. If you want to do that section quickly, just run around the place while waiting for the reload.

steam_sig.png( < . . .