Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    I keep seeing "resident evil has always been..." but who else played the original games on PS1 vs its peers? Once upon a time RE's shittiness was state of the art. We had full fmv cutscenes, people. We had doors where the knobs turned before you watched it swing open in three dazzling dimensions. The dogs jumped through the fucking window.

The only game at the time that exceeded it was MGS1. It was a shocking experience. It was as good as you'd ever seen and helped define what was possible.

Oh I was all on RE back in the PS1 days. I loved it. But all it was was jump scares. Err, 1 jump scare. The dog, specifically.

It's difficult to be scary as a barely working 3D model with bad VO when shit like Phantasmagoria had been released the year prior. Or the nasty ass Harvester the same year.

Hard disagree, RE1 had creepy, spooky atmosphere, and I think it made good use of the angles and prerendered backgrounds, even with their limitations at the time. Reducing it down to one jumpscare is...I don't even know how you do that tbh. It's okay if it didn't work for you, and Harvester and X-Com scared you more, but it's a horror game classic for a reason, and it ain't the dog.

Different people get scared differently, I guess? Nothing RE did really made me scared, but I jumped at the dog like everyone else. It's the most famous scare from that game by a wide margin.

Harvester was just gory, not scary. XCom was unintentionally terrifying.

RE was a horror classic because it brought the Alone in the Dark survival horror formula to a larger audience with a more accessible playstyle and better controls (Alone in the Dark's controls were fucking awful, to the point where RE's tank controls were a massive improvement). I think other games like Clock Tower and later Silent Hill just flat out did it better in every respect except for the feeling of being able to fight back. RE's cathartic release at the end of each title is kind of unrivaled in the survival horror genre IMHO. I think that's why 5 and 6 blew, because you never really had that initial overwhelmed powerless feeling.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Finishing up village has got me in the mood for more RE so I fired up 4 again.

Oh god I'd forgotten how gloriously campy this is, but "where's everybody going, bingo?" Reminded me quick.

Another thing I'd forgotten it that Leon handles like absolute ass good lord I hope the remake is in first person, or at least has some control improvements

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    If RE4 is in first person I will hunt you down.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    If you can't fully see Leon suplexing a monk than what's the fucking point?

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I want Leon to control like Nero from Devil May Cry + a subtle aim-bot because you’re being an action hero that’s supposed to win + loads of context sensitive objects to use.

I want to backflip Leon off a El Gigante and then swing from a conveniently placed rope while firing the rifle one-handed.

Also make the dog a permanent partner.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Need a new post-game minimode called "Overtime."
    It's a completely normal checkers match against Ashley.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I have Harvester somewhere. It was a disturbing game. I didn't really commit to playing through it.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I think they fixed up that last Alone in the Dark game in the PS3 version. It was kind of cool.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I keep seeing "resident evil has always been..." but who else played the original games on PS1 vs its peers? Once upon a time RE's shittiness was state of the art. We had full fmv cutscenes, people. We had doors where the knobs turned before you watched it swing open in three dazzling dimensions. The dogs jumped through the fucking window.

The only game at the time that exceeded it was MGS1. It was a shocking experience. It was as good as you'd ever seen and helped define what was possible.

Oh I was all on RE back in the PS1 days. I loved it. But all it was was jump scares. Err, 1 jump scare. The dog, specifically.

It's difficult to be scary as a barely working 3D model with bad VO when shit like Phantasmagoria had been released the year prior. Or the nasty ass Harvester the same year.

Hard disagree, RE1 had creepy, spooky atmosphere, and I think it made good use of the angles and prerendered backgrounds, even with their limitations at the time. Reducing it down to one jumpscare is...I don't even know how you do that tbh. It's okay if it didn't work for you, and Harvester and X-Com scared you more, but it's a horror game classic for a reason, and it ain't the dog.

Yeah, it's gotten lost in nostalgia and being a classic of the genre, but a lot worked in RE1's favor beyond just jump scares. While it was sci-fi horror at its core, being the first in the series lent it a sort of unpredictability; there's an inherent creepiness in being in a weird mansion with monsters, puzzles, and a mystery at the core. Kill something and you get how it works, but the game threw new threats at you at a regular clip, some of which upended what you previously understood about the game and the world it was creating.

Case in point, the hunters. By the time they show up you're well-armed, accustomed to fighting zombies and such, and have dealt with two room-filling bosses. So along come these frog-slash-ape creatures, basically out of nowhere. The cutscene establishes they can perform incredible feats of agility; the damn things can open doors. Even the short intro in the hallway has a slow-burn menace to it: the camera angle hides its entrance, the lighting emphasizes its claws, eyes, and teeth, and after watching it race through CG video it's now just slowly approaching you. It's not trying to startle you, the player, but it's demonstrating the intelligent behavior of some kind of predator. It was intimidating as fuck the first time I saw it, and more crucially it conveyed information: about this creature, about the danger you were now in, and about the unfolding plot.

Someone thought hard about how and in what context players would be introduced to new elements, and my impression is they wanted to leave the player constantly guessing what would be behind each door. Am I going to fight something, learn something, or solve something? To this day I don't know how intentional its campy dialogue and acting is - maybe a function of working on a new property, with whatever VA talent could be scrounged up - but it absolutely took itself seriously in its design and structure, and was not above throwing curveballs to keep the player on their toes. It became a classic for a lot of very good reasons, and for its time I think it did a better job building dread and atmosphere than it usually gets credit for.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I recently started up the remake on steam and its extremely stressful and mentally draining. There is a constant sense of dread and impending doom.

If you think it isnt scary you gonna have to work really hard to find something that is.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I recently started up the remake on steam and its extremely stressful and mentally draining. There is a constant sense of dread and impending doom.

If you think it isnt scary you gonna have to work really hard to find something that is.

To be fair Remake 1 is a vastly different experience to the original on purpose

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I feel like the remake is what the original game looked like in my head when I played it as a kid.

• Options
    REmake has Lisa who has to be one of the scariest things in the whole franchise to me, from both a design standpoint and her background

• Options
    I think it's been several years since I've played remake. Might be time to dust off the old 1s and 0s and reinstall.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Horror as a genre hasn't been well-served for years. It hit its peak on the PS2, Dead Space did action-horror well for another half-generation and (just in my opinion) there hasn't been a great horror game since Alien Isolation.

I've always felt that one of the challenges of horror in particular is that it requires a presentation that is able to overcome our ever-hardeninng cynicism - it needs to be good-looking enough to produce a suspension of disbelief.

And along comes RE8 lookin' fine as frog's fur and you're like "hellooo gorgeous" and it says "what an odd-shaped crest on this door."

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    REmake has Lisa who has to be one of the scariest things in the whole franchise to me, from both a design standpoint and her background

And it's scary because it's setup as a real person, in a real family, having something done to her by real people with manufactured horror. Her whole family got screwed.
    Then you get to village and it's just "Yeah, I combined my naturally occurring fetus mold with a nemotode and then I just implanted it in this one lady, and there were no negatives to it whatsoever apart from drinking blood, and now she's making wine. Even her daughters were only transformed after death if I read it right, they weren't consumed alive by the flies and tortured into subservience. It's certainly a "strain" of horror, but it's not quite like how you can see the remnants of Birkin inside the creature that's growing out of him, or the Nemesis lump of flesh still crawling after Claire. If you check out Miranda's transformed model she looks like a DMC sub villain.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    I haven’t played all the spin-offs, but has there ever been a game where a totally forgotten lab is found?

I think it’d be cool to traverse a weird undead ecosystem that’s gotten kinda alien after 30 years in isolation.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I haven’t played all the spin-offs, but has there ever been a game where a totally forgotten lab is found?

I think it’d be cool to traverse a weird undead ecosystem that’s gotten kinda alien after 30 years in isolation.

Sounds along the lines of the original setting of Bioshock.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Yeah, I guess so. I’m thinking more goo though.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    For context, I played RE1 at 16, after I had been well steeped in horror films, especially the cybernetic body horror ones I mentioned as to why I didn’t hate the factory level in RE8. That’s probably why RE1 was not at all scary past the jump scares for me. It’s less a nostalgia thing and more an already-seen-it thing.

For reference, I played Xcom at 13, which is developmentally miles distant from 16.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Yeah, I guess so. I’m thinking more goo though.

Sounds along the lines of Returnal.

• Options
    For context, I played RE1 at 16, after I had been well steeped in horror films, especially the cybernetic body horror ones I mentioned as to why I didn’t hate the factory level in RE8. That’s probably why RE1 was not at all scary past the jump scares for me. It’s less a nostalgia thing and more an already-seen-it thing.

For reference, I played Xcom at 13, which is developmentally miles distant from 16.

Gather 'round, children, and I shall tell you a tale. Once upon a time, no joke, this was the coolest thing ever.

https://youtu.be/N5uPZ7ocsqA

For a generation. Not ironically. Not in a so-bad-it's-good way, but directly and earnestly. It defined untouchably cool. Only now at this great distance can I perceive how egregious it is.

In the same way music will never be as good as the music you listened to when you were at your most emotionally impressionable. It's not maybe that music nowadays is objectively worse - it's that today's music is not hitting such a vulnerable target when we, with our gnarled and hair-tufted ears, listen to it.

In my day music made you feel something! Not like this noise they're calling music now! These kids are crazy when they try to tell me they enjoy it!

• Options
    edited May 2021

Gather 'round, children, and I shall tell you a tale. Once upon a time, no joke, this was the coolest thing ever.

For a generation. Not ironically. Not in a so-bad-it's-good way, but directly and earnestly. It defined untouchably cool. Only now at this great distance can I perceive how egregious it is.

In the same way music will never be as good as the music you listened to when you were at your most emotionally impressionable. It's not maybe that music nowadays is objectively worse - it's that today's music is not hitting such a vulnerable target when we, with our gnarled and hair-tufted ears, listen to it.

In my day music made you feel something! Not like this noise they're calling music now! These kids are crazy when they try to tell me they enjoy it!

Oh my bad you're right

Against all odds I was terrified by RE1. Because you said so.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove but it's kind of getting exhausting, so I'll just agree that you set the rules for everyone. Happy?

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Oh my bad you're right

Against all odds I was terrified by RE1. Because you said so.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove but it's kind of getting exhausting, so I'll just agree that you set the rules for everyone. Happy?

Okay, no. I'm not trying to say you're wrong about your experience with the game. I'm saying our experiences are informed by our previous degree of experience. I'm saying if you had played RE1 at 10 years old and prior to that you'd only played 8-16 bit mario games, it might have made a strong impression. If someone, as an exampled, played RE1 at 16, perhaps after its technology were state-of-the-art, perhaps after they had experienced countless horror genre conventions through films and other media, RE1 might not make as strong of an impression on that person.

Playing XCOM at 13 and finding it terrifying and then playing RE at 16 and finding it not makes perfect sense is what I was trying to say.

But if I set the rules, so fucking be it. Ice cream for everyone.

• Options
    I was also trying to further illustrate that RE1 did take itself seriously at the time, and for kids who were like "that part where he goes "is that gasoline I smell?" and then shoots the sawed-off shotgun full of wedding rings was INCREDIBLE!", it didn't hit cheesy or crappy or cheap. It hit like a ton of bricks.

It was awesome.

• Options
    I was not trying to suggest that you're inaccurately representing your experiences. Or that you were wrong to feel about them the way you did. I was trying to say "yeah, I get that." I got no personal problem with you, and I wish you nothin' but love and video games.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

To be fair Remake 1 is a vastly different experience to the original on purpose

How so?

edit: Actually don't tell me I haven't finished it.
    I will return and ask this question again after finishing it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dead By Daylight Anniversary stream tomorrow morning, 9am EST.

Twitch

Youtube

Highlight's already announced as a Resident Evil chapter featuring at least one killer and survivor from RE, and presumably a map too. The dominant rumor is that the killer will be Nemesis, and the survivors Leon/Jill with some new core mechanic 'inspired' by RE, but that could just be the long overdue key rework. I'd expect a bunch of random cosmetics too though.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I bought RE7 in the middle of a move two whole years ago (on sale, with all the DLC), then didn't even play it until a couple of months ago. I've since played the storyline a couple of times, done most of the DLC, and am in the middle of a Hardcore run, so I can't say I'm not enjoying it...

But, since RE8's already out, none of my wild theories may hold up.
    However, that won't stop me from making them! The only way RE7 makes any sense is if
    Ethan already worked for Umbrella. He knew Mia was off on a "babysitting job" when she went missing, and doesn't seem surprised in the least by his own crazy healing abilities (Jack sticks a fucking knife in Ethan's mouth and wiggles it around, and it doesn't bother him at all!). If anything, he's just annoyed by the Bakers' resilience. Ethan was the one to call in Chris and the Umbrella Suicide Squad before he headed to the farm, and it's not just a coincidence that they turn up the day after he gets there.

The Mia/Zoe decision is completely stupid.
    Did you choose Zoe? No you didn't, now she's dead and Mia washes up in the bayou next to the boat somehow, now get on with our story already. Thanks, Capcom, that narrative choice lasted all of one minute. Well, okay, if you didn't save Mia you have to stab her one more time with a crowbar, but it all comes out the same.

The DLC is mostly fun, though the first-person melee is implemented poorly in End of Zoe, especially in the damn boss fights. Let me stay centered on the one enemy and circle around him!

I'll wait for another couple of years for an RE8 Gold package and get that, too.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I finally started 8, I'm in the Castle proper.

It feels like it wants to be a hybrid of 7 and 4, but it's not nearly as good as either.

I'm still having fun, but it makes 4's innovations all the clearer, that all these years later, no one's quite managed to perfectly mimic.

6 came damn close, though, especially in Mercenaries.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ip1w-FrSY

RE bit's about 50 minutes in, although the teaser is short.

8u4odAR.png

Killer: Nemesis

Survivors: Jill and Leon.

Map: Raccoon City PD.

All as expected.

Jill perks are more independent/spec ops. Leon perks are altruistic, but other than Leon being able to create flashbangs (probably just reskinned firecrackers), didn't specify much for either.

Nemesis power: Infects with tentacle whip. One hit to infect (causes coughing and vomiting, prob identical to Plague). Second hit to injure. More survivors infected, whip powers up (range and ...?). Cleanse infection via vaccines scattered around map. Also, Nemsis passively spawns slow moving zombies around the map that can cause infection. Any stun kills them. Perks focused on hunting. Ha. His basic attack is just punching.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Holy fuck I'm in for that.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Oh wow, they're adding bot matches.

That is actually fucking huge. Right now, there's only comp or a custom match with friends, and matchmaking is standardized across just killer and survivor, so if you're trying to learn a killer you're new to, it's just going to be an absolutely miserable stomp over and over until you get the basics figured out. An actual area where you can experiment and figure things out would help smooth that out so much, even if the bots are hopeless. There's literally no way to just try out a killer or the like without using a custom match.

Sounds like they're taking a hardline to the toxicity and disconnectors problem too, which would be super nice if they actually go through with it, but I've heard this song and dance many times before.

Sorry, there's no DBD thread. I have nowhere else to go. :P

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I don't know if I've found much to actually be scary in any RE game. (Or most games and movies, really.) But original RE was, if nothing else, atmospheric. The dog jump scare is meh; I was more worried about the snake and the shark the first time I encountered them. I recall some dread at going into the snake room for the first time.

Zombies and body horror tentacle blobs have never been scary to me. What little horror was there has slowly dwindled more with each iteration. They're good explore-y resource management games with action set pieces now.

Although I say this not having played RE8.

• Options
    edited May 2021

This dude's going to be running the RE stuff and going over all the perks and stuff on the PTB in a few minutes. A good dude to watch for analytical stuff.

Nemesis Perks:
    Reveal all survivors at the start of match
    Injuring a survivor causes all injured survivors to become oblivious for 20 seconds (60 sec cooldown)
    Kicking a gen marks it. Putting a survivor into dying causes all marked gens to explode (lost 8%, more for higher tier?) and begin regressing, and incapacitates (disables) any survivor currently repairing it.

Middle perk would be huge on Legion. Third perk could be strong with Oppression or combined with Pop.

Infect people or kill zombies to tier up his power. At tier 2, tentacle can destroy pallets. Zombies can also give extra mutation/power up his tentacle. He has close range aura reading on zombies. He tiers up like Myers, but permanent, but also slower. Can gain tier points from killing zombies himself too. Very strong once fully tier'ed up, but weaker in tier 1 or 2. His real power seems to be in the zombies, to be honest. His power is like Pyramid Head's, but can break pallets and is blocked by objects, so not hugely strong on its own, especially since it's pretty blocked by pallets. You also need to be much more precise than with PH or Huntress.

Jill Perks:
    Cleanse totems 20% faster. Cleansing a totem reveals furthest totem away and speeds up all further cleansing.
    On being unhooked, immediately self partially self heal (tier 1 is 40%)
    After repairing a gen to 66%. Place a mine that reveals gen to all survivors. If a killer kicks the gen, they get stunned and blinded. Survivors nearby blinded too.

First perk is basically "fuck your hex perks."
    Second is good for healing. Great to run with self-care.
    Third seems weird. Anti pop, I guess?

Leon Perks:
    Iron Will while healing. No notifications from failed skill checks while healing.
    After 70% on gen, enter locker to get a flashbang. Flashbang is one charge item that blinds.
    After 5 successful skill checks on gens, all auras of regressing gens are revealed for rest of trial.

Leon's perks seem kind of meh. First is okay if you want to heal while stealthing, I guess. Third isn't bad though just for tracking killer and gens in general for solo.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    RE7 complete! It was...ok? I didn't really care for the first person stuff and a lack of connection with previous games, but I guess they were looking for a new feel and fresh story, so I can't blame them for that.

The first-person view really made things feel bad to me. Ethan moves so sluggishly and any time I had to do melee stuff, it felt off (as these things do in first-person games). I had a lot of deaths that felt unavoidable, but mostly they were during boss fights so a quick reload was fine. Finally, the enemies were bland. Literally nothing but mold, bugs, and the Baker family. Pretty bland there.

Overall, it wasn't a bad game and I can see why people would enjoy it. Not really my cup of tea since it leans into the horror and supernatural aspect of things, which I don't care for. My concern from what I've seen of RE8 is that they're not shying away from that with vampire ghost things and what not.

Guess we'll see...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I really would like to see Jill and Leon in a game together...for some reason I think they'd fuckin' hate each other

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    RE7 complete! It was...ok? I didn't really care for the first person stuff and a lack of connection with previous games, but I guess they were looking for a new feel and fresh story, so I can't blame them for that.

The first-person view really made things feel bad to me. Ethan moves so sluggishly and any time I had to do melee stuff, it felt off (as these things do in first-person games). I had a lot of deaths that felt unavoidable, but mostly they were during boss fights so a quick reload was fine. Finally, the enemies were bland. Literally nothing but mold, bugs, and the Baker family. Pretty bland there.

Overall, it wasn't a bad game and I can see why people would enjoy it. Not really my cup of tea since it leans into the horror and supernatural aspect of things, which I don't care for. My concern from what I've seen of RE8 is that they're not shying away from that with vampire ghost things and what not.

Guess we'll see...

I wouldn't really call anything in RE8 supernatural other than the 20 minute section that won't be named. At least RE8 has actual things to shoot... RE7's mold were the most boring enemy in the world.

• Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I really would like to see Jill and Leon in a game together...for some reason I think they'd fuckin' hate each other

Everybody hates everybody in DBD.

Especially your own teammates.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIS-TW1XeNg
    Making of Resident Evil Village - The Internal Struggle

I dunno if this has been seen but its a pretty interesting behind the scenes on the making of Village.
    5wzbd9nzgc5v.jpg

They were apparently only a few months from live with the game in that state.

Morninglord on