Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Chance wrote: »

I loved the banter in that scene.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    First-hand encounter with Lady D
    OH FUCK YOU GAME! Really, I lose my right hand now?! And then...let me get this shit straight...and then Ethan puts it back on with a bottle of tap water? Like, all the bones, muscles, and veins all fused back normally?!

FUCK YOU GAME! FUCK YOU CAPCOM! That's some goddamn stupid fucking shit right there. I don't EVER expect to die again as long as I've got a bottle of dirty tap water in my inventory. Lop off an arm? Dirty water. Lose a leg or two? No problem, I got two bottles. Decapitated?! Bruh, I keep a spare couple drops around my neck just in case.

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!! THIS DRIVES ME FUCKING CRAZY! I thought the staples in RE7 were bad, but at least it could partially be explained that the farm hicks gave you mold powers to heal or something. This....this is just....BLHKSKLHLKJSG

Lucky I'm having a fucking blast with this game or I'd have peaced right out. Seriously, for me, this is way better than RE7. I know, two vastly different play styles, but this one clicks with me so much more. I mean, Ethan actually fucking moves when he runs instead of slightly walking faster. And items aren't tucked away to the point you need another item to make them easier to find.

The same thing basically happens in 7... and it was equally stupid there, I guess they just leaned into it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    OH FUCK YOU GAME! Really, I lose my right hand now?! And then...let me get this shit straight...and then Ethan puts it back on with a bottle of tap water? Like, all the bones, muscles, and veins all fused back normally?!

FUCK YOU GAME! FUCK YOU CAPCOM! That's some goddamn stupid fucking shit right there. I don't EVER expect to die again as long as I've got a bottle of dirty tap water in my inventory. Lop off an arm? Dirty water. Lose a leg or two? No problem, I got two bottles. Decapitated?! Bruh, I keep a spare couple drops around my neck just in case.

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!! THIS DRIVES ME FUCKING CRAZY! I thought the staples in RE7 were bad, but at least it could partially be explained that the farm hicks gave you mold powers to heal or something. This....this is just....BLHKSKLHLKJSG

Lucky I'm having a fucking blast with this game or I'd have peaced right out. Seriously, for me, this is way better than RE7. I know, two vastly different play styles, but this one clicks with me so much more. I mean, Ethan actually fucking moves when he runs instead of slightly walking faster. And items aren't tucked away to the point you need another item to make them easier to find.

The same thing basically happens in 7... and it was equally stupid there, I guess they just leaned into it.
    The hand I'm fine with. In RE7 it was implied as part of the whole thing that was going on with the immortal regenerating hillbillies. Plus, that healing juice is science fiction healing factor in a bottle too, on top of that.

What utterly flummoxes me is the jacket sleeve re-fusing.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

Well...
    Ethan still retains the regen powers from the virus infection he got in RE7. There's a bit more to it than that but I won't spoil anything, but I always thought that was pretty clear to me.
    And he WAS infected. At one point he literally asked Zoe "how do I get this out of me" IIRC

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    God I just found out Jeanette Maus, one of the voice actors of the daughters in RE8, passed away this January after a months long battle with colon cancer

Possible story spoilers, kinda
    She's the one where you opened the roof to fight her, and said at the end "I don't want to die" in that really chilling way that just makes it all the more oof on retrospect

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Re: 7/8 Stupidity
    The whole entire series is based on this kind of stupid, its just been mostly confined to the enemies. Ethan is basically a playable zombie.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

The hand I'm fine with. In RE7 it was implied as part of the whole thing that was going on with the immortal regenerating hillbillies. Plus, that healing juice is science fiction healing factor in a bottle too, on top of that.

What utterly flummoxes me is the jacket sleeve re-fusing.

So it wasn't just me. Good to know.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Ending spoilers
    I thought the jacket refusing was really clever after the twist, because I was assuming it's ALL mold.

The evie in the dream says to him that he's entirely mold, and he's essentially the only person ever who is comprised entirely of the mold and still has his own personality and memories.

So he's been a mold creature for years, with the mold just doing whatever his thoughts are telling him he can do. So I assume when he puts some clothes on, they kind of get assimilated to the mold as well.

So I took it as, by that point, Ethan isn't even really wearing clothes. He's just a big old mold creature who looks like he is. So when he re-attaches his hand, the mold kind of rebuilds everything.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Had a whole thing but never mind. I think it's all just some minor graphical cost-cutting.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    You can actually see the jacket sleeve is still cut in some animations.
    Also, the plot explains it all pretty clearly. You are meant to think "wtf??" when he puts his arm back on.

As for why the jacket sleeve stays on even though it's cut, I just figured it was wet enough it kept clinging to his wrist and then the blood dried it in place or something.

Winky on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    aU0Hdq4.jpg

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ending spoilers
    I thought the jacket refusing was really clever after the twist, because I was assuming it's ALL mold.

The evie in the dream says to him that he's entirely mold, and he's essentially the only person ever who is comprised entirely of the mold and still has his own personality and memories.

So he's been a mold creature for years, with the mold just doing whatever his thoughts are telling him he can do. So I assume when he puts some clothes on, they kind of get assimilated to the mold as well.

So I took it as, by that point, Ethan isn't even really wearing clothes. He's just a big old mold creature who looks like he is. So when he re-attaches his hand, the mold kind of rebuilds everything.

To me this plot point landed like a wet sack. It immediately brought to mind a largely identical twist that was executed really well and felt like a stunning revelation of crazy sci fi...

In a schlocky, double-A open world with superpowers game called Prototype. In Prototype the twist was a shocking, emotionally explosive reveal. In RE8 it's like "well no fucking shit, Sherlock. What were your first thirty clues?"

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    What a great game. The second one less so.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    What a great game. The second one less so.

If one considers Ultimate Destruction the first in the trilogy, it's a stunning example of a series that went from incredible to pretty awesome to almost good enough.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm just about to leave the mansion:
    I made sure to "blue" every room in the entire place that I could reach so far. I honestly thought that I was going into a sniping section when I got the rifle on the roof. The flying creatures were surprisingly non-threatening with just a few handgun rounds each. And the zipline leading to a non-boss encounter was also surprising.

Killing the last of the daughters felt quite good. Not only because they were obnoxious, but my computer took a huge frame rate hit when they got close. Glad that nightmare is over.

Happy to report, no more loss of any limbs since the last one.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Blue Room Thing is the best thing to happen to this type of game since over-the-shoulder aiming.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I confess that after all these playthroughs, I still can't tell the daughters apart. Which one goes "RAWR!"?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I left the castle assuming I could backtrack. :( I didn't even get to do the labyrinth puzzle.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Huh.. I just traded returnal for village after platinuming it and started in hardcore as I heard village gets pretty easy later.. 2 hours and numerous deaths later I’ve yet to to live past the first survive the attack. This is easily the hardest game I’ve ever played; it makes returnal seem like kindergarten; I’ve been lied to :o

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Huh.. I just traded returnal for village after platinuming it and started in hardcore as I heard village gets pretty easy later.. 2 hours and numerous deaths later I’ve yet to to live past the first survive the attack. This is easily the hardest game I’ve ever played; it makes returnal seem like kindergarten; I’ve been lied to :o

Yeah no you should do normal/casual and at least try for the infinite ammo on one gun for NG+ the difficulty spikes are kind of brutal

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Yeah no you should do normal/casual and at least try for the infinite ammo on one gun for NG+ the difficulty spikes are kind of brutal

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that the harder difficulties are balanced around the assumption that you have access to infinite ammo or at the very least a fully upgraded arsenal. They're not impossible without them but it's not going to be the most enjoyable experience for most people.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that the harder difficulties are balanced around the assumption that you have access to infinite ammo or at the very least a fully upgraded arsenal. They're not impossible without them but it's not going to be the most enjoyable experience for most people.

Well I’m 6 hours in so I’m not stopping now but after finishing the castle I’d say over 50% of my fights; including a couple memorable boss fights are me using nothing but the knife due to lack of ammo.I regret my life decisions

• Options
    Tbf the first village survival section is the hardest part of hardcore mode by far. After that you will at least be given the tools to adjust your strategy to deal with the difficulty.

Also it can be cheesed somewhat:
    Run up to that first house with the front porch and close and bar the door, then just conserve your ammo and headshot lycans when they try to destroy the barricade. They will only do it one by one and a single shot will interrupt them.

If you run out of ammo or they make it through, run away down the ladder to the basement area while knifing the flour bags you pass on the way. Take the right side path up and into the next house, bar the door, and do the same thing you did in the first house (only now you have to worry about the window on the left too). Once they get inside blow up the barrel, then hold your ground as long as reasonable before climbing up the ladder. Once you're on the roof try to hold out a little and then book it to the gate where there is another barrel that should buy you a little time.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Tbf the first village survival section is the hardest part of hardcore mode by far. After that you will at least be given the tools to adjust your strategy to deal with the difficulty.

Run up to that first house with the front porch and close and bar the door, then just conserve your ammo and headshot lycans when they try to destroy the barricade. They will only do it one by one and a single shot will interrupt them.

If you run out of ammo or they make it through, run away down the ladder to the basement area while knifing the flour bags you pass on the way. Take the right side path up and into the next house, bar the door, and do the same thing you did in the first house (only now you have to worry about the window on the left too). Once they get inside blow up the barrel, then hold your ground as long as reasonable before climbing up the ladder. Once you're on the roof try to hold out a little and then book it to the gate where there is another barrel that should buy you a little time.
    I dunno I went into the (castle spoilers )
    lady dimi-whatever fight, having bought and used all the previous ammo from duke; so I only had the ammo it gives you right before fighting her; the fight wasn’t hard but it took me many tries because she was immune to knife damage as far as I can tell; and the ammo they gave me going in which seemed like a ton, 40ish pistol ; 12 sniper and 8 shells I think? Were only enough to kill her if every shot was a perfect headshot.. I finally beat her hilariously without taking any damage it just took forever making sure every single bullet lined up perfectly

That was one of the more rage inducing game experiences I’ve had recently

• Options

lady dimi-whatever fight, having bought and used all the previous ammo from duke; so I only had the ammo it gives you right before fighting her; the fight wasn’t hard but it took me many tries because she was immune to knife damage as far as I can tell; and the ammo they gave me going in which seemed like a ton, 40ish pistol ; 12 sniper and 8 shells I think? Were only enough to kill her if every shot was a perfect headshot.. I finally beat her hilariously without taking any damage it just took forever making sure every single bullet lined up perfectly

In my experience
    Knife damage was actually surprisingly good against her, partly because the AI doesn't really know what to do about you if you're hugging her closely enough and passing back and forth next to her.

• Options

In my experience
    Knife damage was actually surprisingly good against her, partly because the AI doesn't really know what to do about you if you're hugging her closely enough and passing back and forth next to her.

That could be; I based my knife assumption solely on the fact there was no noticeable blood/stagger hitting the main body rather than the “head” portion, which was too high to stab so I just gave up on it

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Is there a guide for knife only? I'll probably try it but I know theres times when you have to use a gun that dont count against you and Id like to know in advance

King Riptor on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Is there a guide for knife only? I'll probably try it but I know theres times when you have to use a gun that dont count against you and Id like to know in advance
    You can use a gun for anything that's not an enemy (so for getting crystals off the ceiling, etc.)

You can use the tank in the battle against Heisenberg, as well as the finishing blows against Miranda (but only those.)

With the targeting laser you have to be careful: you can use it on the structure without issues (even if it kills other enemies), but you cannot use it against the big dude afterwards.

My recommendation is to save a lot and to always be checking the counter in the challenges screen.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I'm apparently really bad at fish in re8; i have surplus of every other meat and two recipes left; but i'm short 8 fish; and after looking it up they were all in areas that are now unaccessible..derp

• Options
    I'm apparently really bad at fish in re8; i have surplus of every other meat and two recipes left; but i'm short 8 fish; and after looking it up they were all in areas that are now unaccessible..derp

Did you find the ones from the crank gate near the altar? I only found them and the ones at the village.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Did you find the ones from the crank gate near the altar? I only found them and the ones at the village.

Yeah; according to a couple guides i looked up there are two locations w/ missable fish;
    when leaving the castle; and another in the resevoir before you leave it; both locations you can't get back to. I found every other fish location on my own so it looks like missing those two leaves you permanently short, meanwhile i have surplus of 4 poultry and 5 meat w/ no use since they give you extra. :(

I found every other fish location on my own so it looks like missing those two leaves you permanently short, meanwhile i have surplus of 4 poultry and 5 meat w/ no use since they give you extra

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I didn't collect the remaining needed fish until my 2nd run of the game.

Your recipe progress carries over, even if you are only partially through one

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    I did something even stupider. I went back and sold the meat once I did the first hunting, before cooking was even unlocked, because I had no idea it was going to be a thing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I did something even stupider. I went back and sold the meat once I did the first hunting, before cooking was even unlocked, because I had no idea it was going to be a thing.

I just unlocked recipes after selling all the food stuff and I’m pissed.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I just unlocked recipes after selling all the food stuff and I’m pissed.

Yeah it happens so quickly after its weird they didnt just add it immediately after the castle

• Options
    I did the same thing. Sold it for money assuming that's what it was for.

• Options
    I’m hoping there’s enough ingredients to make each recipe.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2021

There definitely is if you hit every fish pool; I did the math and there’s enough fish to make every recipe on your first play through if you get every single one, no extras. There’s tons of extra poultry and meat though no worries there. It’s odd that they decided to make fish the sole limiting factor

taliosfalcon on
  • Options

There definitely is if you hit every fish pool; I did the math and there’s enough fish to make every recipe on your first play through if you get every single one, no extras. There’s tons of extra poultry and meat though no worries there. It’s odd that they decided to make fish the sole limiting factor

I sold the only 3 fish I encountered, which were right after leaving the castle. So...I'm screwed then?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yeah but you always have to do 2 or more runs to get them all anyway. So it's not a big deal.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    phew poorly thought out initial hardcore run of re8 complete; i think the final boss fight alone took me 6 hours; lol @ the 12 hour playtime i saw listed everywhere

Unexpectedly I think this ended up being my favourite RE; hell I got bored of 7 about halfway through and never finished it but this had me invested the entire way through

taliosfalcon on