As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Getting 1-2 extra minions in the tavern after you roll a bunch is a hilariously weak hero power.
    Ironically, it's more potent the earlier tavern tier you unlock it, since it's giving you more minions. So it gets worse as you level up, but intentionally trying to complete it early puts you in a huge hole that you likely can't crawl out of. And if you do even survive to T6, it's barely doing anything at that point.

I wonder if they're going to reduce the rerolls to try buffing it first or just change the power entirely (presumably after getting pulled from the tavern for a while). Of course, Galakrond has been around for months and they haven't touched his garbage ass the entire time, so maybe they'll just let her rot for months too.

I definitely like the power in concept, since it can be considered somewhat of a comeback mechanic (i.e., you had to reroll a lot because you kept getting offered shit, now here's some bonus minion rolls to give you a shot at coming back), it just clearly takes too long to get there.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Maybe they could make it so after you buy a minion it puts another minion in to replace it without rerolling.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Getting 1-2 extra minions in the tavern after you roll a bunch is a hilariously weak hero power.
    Ironically, it's more potent the earlier tavern tier you unlock it, since it's giving you more minions. So it gets worse as you level up, but intentionally trying to complete it early puts you in a huge hole that you likely can't crawl out of. And if you do even survive to T6, it's barely doing anything at that point.

I wonder if they're going to reduce the rerolls to try buffing it first or just change the power entirely (presumably after getting pulled from the tavern for a while). Of course, Galakrond has been around for months and they haven't touched his garbage ass the entire time, so maybe they'll just let her rot for months too.

I definitely like the power in concept, since it can be considered somewhat of a comeback mechanic (i.e., you had to reroll a lot because you kept getting offered shit, now here's some bonus minion rolls to give you a shot at coming back), it just clearly takes too long to get there.
    Galakrond is better than her though. Not much but the ability while shit has some times when it is very useful. Her power is meh always, while Galk can get you an early 6 tier which is going to help under most circumstances.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Gets quest to deal 65 damage to heroes

Plays a single game against Priest

Completes quest

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Galakrond is better than her though. Not much but the ability while shit has some times when it is very useful. Her power is meh always, while Galk can get you an early 6 tier which is going to help under most circumstances.
    Galakrond is still shit, though. His stats are terrible. It's so easy for his hero power to whiff that the investment just doesn't pay off most the time.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Galakrond is still shit, though. His stats are terrible. It's so easy for his hero power to whiff that the investment just doesn't pay off most the time.

Oh he’s terrible no doubt. There is just a bit of value at level 4 and level 5 with galk that the gold to roll up isn’t a waste, however I’d go with most other heroes before galk. And I’d only choose galk if I were in a mood.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Aranna’s hero power is good when/if there is a build that spams level 1/2 minions, which there isn’t really at the moment. Maybe she’d be okay for like, wrathweaver demons

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Hooktusk is busted as fuck. I’ve played 3 times got a 100% top 4 rate. And 2 of those were first places.

Here is my latest. Got a new chonkiest boy.

sm04d9lfuftv.jpeg

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Before I actually take the time to download and install this, I have to ask a very important question.

How friendly to new players is this game? I don't mean by way of community, I mean has the game's introductory steps kept pace with changes and additions? Has it ever or does it currently tutorial itself well? Are there any gaps in critical information?

Edit - To be clear I'm not asking for specific rules to be explained to me here and now. I am looking for as close to basic "yes" or "no" answers as possible.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Henroid wrote: »
    Before I actually take the time to download and install this, I have to ask a very important question.

How friendly to new players is this game? I don't mean by way of community, I mean has the game's introductory steps kept pace with changes and additions? Has it ever or does it currently tutorial itself well? Are there any gaps in critical information?

Edit - To be clear I'm not asking for specific rules to be explained to me here and now. I am looking for as close to basic "yes" or "no" answers as possible.

The basic tutorial should still hold up pretty well I think. New sets do come with new mechanics/keywords (which are not in the tutorial), but you can always hover over a card and it will explain said keyword to you.

So in short, yes, the tutorial does do a pretty solid job of explaining how to play the game. Hearthstone was inherently designed to be very approachable without even having much knowledge of other card games, even.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

It is pretty newbie friendly. And while they do offer the micro transactions, it isn’t oppressive, and can be ignored entirely if you want. The tutorial is complete, and players have to work hard to be dicks. Which means that they have to add you as a friend to talk shit after the match, which can be hilarious, newbies get a new reasonably competitive deck after the tutorial phase.

• Options
    Eh, I feel like the tutorial is so basic that it leaves you completely unprepared for any reasonable success at the game. Sure, you can get through the tutorial and do OK when you're playing against other clueless people at rank 50. But if you don't have significant card game intuition, then I feel like you either need to watch streamers/Youtube or read up on at least intermediate level gameplay to become at least competent at the game.

I say this based on having watched basically all my friends that I tried to introduce to the game, and clearly in the explicit teachings in the game were not sufficient.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'm pushing 150 games with Enrage Warrior at this point and I still make some kind of misplay almost every game, this deck is going to crush my soul.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Ugh, it's this fucking trash brawl. Where games take forever and I lose because I get offered shit cards and my opponent gets ridiculous on curve threats.

I don't know what the stats say, but my recommendation is to instant concede until you get to play first. Playing second seems like a massive disadvantage in this brawl.

• Options
    Ugh, it's this fucking trash brawl. Where games take forever and I lose because I get offered shit cards and my opponent gets ridiculous on curve threats.

I don't know what the stats say, but my recommendation is to instant concede until you get to play first. Playing second seems like a massive disadvantage in this brawl.
    Yeah, and the cards are not drawn so certain cards which I thought would be busted good (making portals that summon 2/2 rush demons) turn out to be dead in my hand because a 2/2 rush that costs 2 is not great.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    New balance changes inbound:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/176-balance-updates/36815

Full text dump:
    On July 14, we’ll be releasing a patch that includes balance updates for several cards in Standard. Craftable cards listed below will be eligible for a full dust refund for two weeks after the 17.6 patch goes live.

Dragonqueen Alexstrasza

Old: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (0). → New: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (1).
    Corsair Cache

Old: Draw a weapon. Give it +1/+1. → New: Draw a weapon. Give it +1 Durability.
    Metamorphosis

Old: Swap your Hero Power to “Deal 5 damage.” After 2 uses, swap it back. → New: Swap your Hero Power to “Deal 4 damage.” After 2 uses, swap it back.
    Kayn Sunfury

Old: 3 Attack, 5 Health → New: 3 Attack, 4 Health.
    Warglaives of Azzinoth

Old: [Cost 5] → New: [Cost 6].
    Dragoncaster

Old: [Cost 6] → New: [Cost 7].
    Fungal Fortunes

Old: [Cost 2] → New: [Cost 3].
    Galakrond, the Nightmare

Old: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (1).
    Galakrond, the Apocalypse (Rogue)

Old: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. They cost (1).
    Galakrond, Azeroth’s End (Rogue)

Old: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. They cost (1).
    We have some Battlegrounds updates planned for the near future as well. Stay tuned!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    New balance changes inbound:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/176-balance-updates/36815

Full text dump:
    On July 14, we’ll be releasing a patch that includes balance updates for several cards in Standard. Craftable cards listed below will be eligible for a full dust refund for two weeks after the 17.6 patch goes live.

Dragonqueen Alexstrasza

Old: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (0). → New: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (1).
    Corsair Cache

Old: Draw a weapon. Give it +1/+1. → New: Draw a weapon. Give it +1 Durability.
    Metamorphosis

Old: Swap your Hero Power to “Deal 5 damage.” After 2 uses, swap it back. → New: Swap your Hero Power to “Deal 4 damage.” After 2 uses, swap it back.
    Kayn Sunfury

Old: 3 Attack, 5 Health → New: 3 Attack, 4 Health.
    Warglaives of Azzinoth

Old: [Cost 5] → New: [Cost 6].
    Dragoncaster

Old: [Cost 6] → New: [Cost 7].
    Fungal Fortunes

Old: [Cost 2] → New: [Cost 3].
    Galakrond, the Nightmare

Old: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (1).
    Galakrond, the Apocalypse (Rogue)

Old: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. They cost (1).
    Galakrond, Azeroth’s End (Rogue)

Old: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. They cost (1).
    We have some Battlegrounds updates planned for the near future as well. Stay tuned!

Still no nerf to Skull?!?! wtf

Those other nerfs are good though, yeah.

Edit: honestly if they want aggro decks to stop running Skull, just make the cost reduction only apply to cards that cost x or more (5 maybe?)

that's an easy fuckin fix

or just make it cost 7 idk

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    edit: whoops can't read

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Ridiculous they nerf Rogue Gala but don't touch Skull.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    not entirely sure why they wanted to make rogue unplayable but ok

e: hope nobody enjoyed playing odd dh in wild

ee: rogue now has the most laughably weak galakrond on curve of any EVIL class: 'gain 5 armor'

eee: lmao now you can draw 1 mana shadowsteps/backstabs

the meta is now going to be full-on warriors and priests, i am tapping out until the next expansion

Beasteh on
  • Options
    I wholly approve of fewer things costing 0. I think Warglaives to 6 probably kills Odd DH as a top tier deck, they have no way to recover board against fast decks, better off just running Odd Rogue. And the Corsair Cache change is only upsetting to Pirates, it's just a slap on the wrist to Enrage like the previous nerfs were.

VS # 168 is also up. Posted one hour before the patch notes for a window into the past.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Cost reduction to zero is not a healthy mechanic.

Being able to play Galakrond, drawing four 0 mana cards, developing a board, and then slamming out a giant Edwin was kinda horseshit.

It's a perfectly fine nerf. Rogue is not dead.

Edit: Similarly, a good nerf to DQ Alex. Turn 9 was such a strong fucking power swing for Highlander decks. 8/8 body with two friends was KINDA HORSESHIT.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Also the Kayn nerf is fucking hilarious. What a stupid nerf that doesn't actually matter or address the card's problems.

DH is an aggro deck that literally breaks all the fucking rules. Enough card draw to draw through their entire deck, board clear with Altruis (which doubledips as fucking FACE DAMAGE), a way to ignore taunt walls and push through for lethal. The entire dynamic of Control deck vs Aggro deck is broken when factoring DH in. If a Control deck is able to stall long enough and stabilize, the Aggro deck falls behind and runs out of steam and loses. Right? Right. DH says nah fuck that. They never run out of steam. Even when a Control deck stabilizes, they keep putting out pressure or clear their entire board with Altruis or ignore their taunts and punch face with Kayn.

It is very rare that you slam Kayn down just as a 3/5 Charge minion. Reducing his health by 1 does not fix the issue :rotate:

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, very very VERY much appreciate the nerfs to Warglaives and Metamorphosis. Those two nerfs alone are fucking huge.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    ee: rogue now has the most laughably weak galakrond on curve of any EVIL class: 'gain 5 armor'
    Same as Warrior, no?

• Options
    I'm gonna get mad dust next week. I'm pretty sure my Kayn is golden.

I wonder if I'll be able to piece together a worthwhile DH deck with none of the nerfed cards.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I just lost a brawl game of mage vs priest that lasted 40 minutes.

I just wanted to complete a quest before going to bed, Blizzard, why does this brawl have to take so long?

Grobian on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Got a golden Sunfury so I'm super happy right now. Free legendary!

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I wonder if I'll be able to piece together a worthwhile DH deck with none of the nerfed cards.

Gotta think bigger than that man, make a deck of all nerfed cards.

I present Nerf Hunter (27 nerfed cards) aka a day 1 AoO list:

sgDAA==.png

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

Being able to play Galakrond, drawing four 0 mana cards, developing a board, and then slamming out a giant Edwin was kinda horseshit.

Edit: Similarly, a good nerf to DQ Alex. Turn 9 was such a strong fucking power swing for Highlander decks. 8/8 body with two friends was KINDA HORSESHIT.

I dunno, I think this will pretty much bury rogue against any quicker decks.

Like Beasteh said upthread, this will make 0 cost cards more expensive if drawn, provide zero discount for any one drops drawn, and also the vast majority of the time it’s going to be a 7 mana do nothing/2 mana overpay for an Arcanite Reaper.

Basically, the entire powerspike they get is mainly going to be Tog, with a little bit of secrets bullshit. But both of those come online too late if you’re getting blown out by warrior, demon hunter, or regular hunter.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »

Jesus. That really puts things in perspective, my god.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Was rogue so oppressive that they had to spay it? And just sitting there watching Anduin fuck about by himself is ok?

I haven’t played standard in a month but I really don’t understand these nerfs at all.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Was rogue so oppressive that they had to spay it? And just sitting there watching Anduin fuck about by himself is ok?

I haven’t played standard in a month but I really don’t understand these nerfs at all.

From Alec Dawson, who is one of the Game Designers:
    Balance changes are coming early next week! For this balance patch, we were looking at three main categories: Demon Hunter, mana reduction, and setting up classes for the remainder of the year.

Demon Hunter is still the number one force in the meta and has a great role in determining whether or not a deck is competitive on the ladder. The changes to Kayn Sunfury and Metamorphasis are slight adjustments focused on Demon Hunter's reach and ability to control the board.

Warglaives of Azzinoth was one of the best cards in the class, especially in aggressive decks. In the future, we want to be able to push Demon Hunter into archetypes other than aggro/tempo.

As for mana reduction, we want to lessen some of the giant swings currently in the game.

Swing turns will still be present in Hearthstone, there's a healthy medium there, but not to the extent of Dragonqueen Alexstrasza or Galakrond Rogue. Dragoncaster moved to 7 mana to make that turn a bit more appropriate as to when it's occurring in the match.

Fungal Fortunes and Corsair Cache were both strong performing cards that limit some of our ability to extend those classes into different spaces later in the year. These changes should make it easier for future archetypes to take shape and be competitive.

Finally, thank you all for the feedback throughout the last few months. We're always listening so keep it coming.

Rogue wasn't oppressive, it was just creating too many explosive swingy turns.

Rogue Galakrond will still be good. You just won't be slamming 12/12 Edwins and developing a board full of minions on the same turn.

Like, y'all, drawing 4 cards is still really fucking good. Drawing 4 cards that get reduced to 1 mana is still really fucking good. That's still huge. Just.... maybe not on that same turn anymore.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    ronzo wrote: »

Like Beasteh said upthread, this will make 0 cost cards more expensive if drawn, provide zero discount for any one drops drawn, and also the vast majority of the time it’s going to be a 7 mana do nothing/2 mana overpay for an Arcanite Reaper.

Basically, the entire powerspike they get is mainly going to be Tog, with a little bit of secrets bullshit. But both of those come online too late if you’re getting blown out by warrior, demon hunter, or regular hunter.
    Good. Fuck 'em. This is what they get for not nerfing Edwin.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »

sgDAA==.png
    You should replace the Chaos Strike with Kael'thas for a 28 nerfed card deck.

Which means we ended up just one common/rare/epic nerf short of a full nerf deck. :(

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »

Rogue literally has some of the best single target spot removal in the game

Between Backstab and Seal Fate and tons of Lackey generation and easy Faceless Corruptor targets they are not hurting vs fast decks. At all.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The Warglaives nerf seems like a pretty big deal. Between that and the smaller but still significant clipping of damage from Meta (and health from Kayn, but whatever), I wonder if that will finally be enough to push DH out of the top spot. Aggro DH has adapted through a lot of nerfs so far, but this one hit some of its best and most versatile power cards, slowing it down and hampering its reach. Many DH wins are games of inches, so with no changes they're just not going to get there as often as they used to. But there are only so many times the deck can flee from nerfed cards before it's just playing decent cards and not OP ones.

This patch seems like good news for Hunters, Priests, and Warlocks (and of course Paladin/Shaman but their play rate is low). Even with the Alex nerf, Highlander decks are probably still pretty happy since DH is getting knocked down a peg. Not being able to shit out 3 dragons on turn 9 hurts, but it doesn't especially cripple the Highlander game plan or what seems to make the decks work in general.

forty on
  • Options
    I want to say I don’t have a ladder deck that isn’t hit by the nerf.

• Options
    That's unsurprising, 8 of the top 10 decks got a nerf of some kind.

• Options
    My Face Hunter just got (relatively) better!

• Options
    God damn it, I just lost the game to get into Legend because I misordered my lethal.