As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    How far can a pro climb in Standard using just classic cards? Silver?

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm playing one of the story modes and this is so bad. Losing by luck of the draw is stupid. Turn 5 or 6, this boss had a 14/14 card on the table.

Edit - THIS IS SO FUCKING BAD. Oh my god fuck this game.

Before you give up completely, try Battlegrounds. It’s a Battle Royale version of Hearthstone. The P2W aspect is substantially reduced; I think that the season pass gives you one extra hero to select from (4 rather than 3), and emotes.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The season pass gives 2 extra heroes now (4 rather than 2).

OK, so it looks like new players get the free deck after they complete the new player quest line:
    Win 5 Practice Games Win 5 Games in Practice Mode 1 Classic card pack
    First Blood Complete a game in Play Mode or Arena 1 Classic card pack
    The Duelist Play 3 games in Play Mode or Arena 100 gold
    So Henroid definitely got his free deck by now.

forty on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Best bet would probably be a very ghetto Freeze Mage since the Mage classic cards are pretty great. It would still be like F tier but it could beat stuff that can't answer Nova+Doomsayer.
    AAECAY0WBk2uA8UE7QW4CL8IDIoB+wGcArsCyQOrBMsE5gTtBJYFigfsBwA=.png

If we're just talking ultra budget instead of classic only you can build a Face Hunter for ~1k dust. This is 3 cards off the meta list and legend viable.
    ugMA.png

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

OK, so it looks like new players get the free deck after they complete the new player quest line:
    Yep.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Behold, the shortest Spell Druid mirror in the history of Hearthstone: https://hsreplay.net/replay/LcZzj6zKfsJ2ictkJxwYXN

4 turns of passing followed by the biggest blowout of the century.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Best bet would probably be a very ghetto Freeze Mage since the Mage classic cards are pretty great. It would still be like F tier but it could beat stuff that can't answer Nova+Doomsayer.
    AAECAY0WBk2uA8UE7QW4CL8IDIoB+wGcArsCyQOrBMsE5gTtBJYFigfsBwA=.png

If we're just talking ultra budget instead of classic only you can build a Face Hunter for ~1k dust. This is 3 cards off the meta list and legend viable.
    ugMA.png

A different budget deck, one card off what got me to Legend a few seasons ago:

2x (1) Abusive Sergeant
    2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
    2x (1) Blazing Battlemage
    2x (1) Fiendish Servant
    2x (1) Flame Imp
    2x (1) Soulfire
    2x (1) Stonetusk Boar
    2x (1) Voidwalker
    2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
    2x (2) Expired Merchant
    2x (2) Imprisoned Scrap Imp
    2x (3) Magic Carpet
    2x (3) Wolfrider
    2x (4) Nightshade Matron
    2x (6) Hand of Gul'dan

AAECAcn1AgAPMPIBoQKIBeMFzgfCCLWfA/2kA/2nA/muA7C2A7W5A7a5A8e5AwA=

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Behold, the shortest Spell Druid mirror in the history of Hearthstone: https://hsreplay.net/replay/LcZzj6zKfsJ2ictkJxwYXN

4 turns of passing followed by the biggest blowout of the century.

G A M E P L A Y

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I haven't uninstalled the game yet. I'm going to give it ONE MORE TRY tonight for a couple / few hours. What stage of grief am I at right now?

Also I haven't streamed it since the first night I tried the game because there was a douchey guy in my chat berating me for not challenging him to a match when I was still trying to understand the flow of the game. That wasn't exactly encouraging. I don't need people going "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" when my options are so fucking limited to begin with. Fucking dickhead.

• Options

Yep.
    Which premade deck did you pick?

• Options
    edited July 2020

Yep.
    I didn't get to pick anything. The game starts you off as a mage, you play through a few tutorial rounds, then the game suggests going into the practice mode to unlock the other character class decks, and that's it.

As you level up to 10 with each class, you do a slow trickle of unlocking "basic" class specific cards for each. This part can be done playing practice mode.

Edit - BTW the Mage ability is absolute SHIT. 2 mana for one damage, while other classes are getting either 2 damage or multi-rounds of damage (rogues) or damage plus armor, etc. Like what the actual fuck?

Henroid on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The mage ability is one of the most powerful.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The upside of the Mage one is they don't have to take damage to use their ping like Rogue/DH/Druid do. I'd honestly rank Mage's as the third best one, behind Warlock and DH.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Yep.
    I didn't get to pick anything. The game starts you off as a mage, you play through a few tutorial rounds, then the game suggests going into the practice mode to unlock the other character class decks, and that's it.

As you level up to 10 with each class, you do a slow trickle of unlocking "basic" class specific cards for each. This part can be done playing practice mode.

Edit - BTW the Mage ability is absolute SHIT. 2 mana for one damage, while other classes are getting either 2 damage or multi-rounds of damage (rogues) or damage plus armor, etc. Like what the actual fuck?

No, there's.... supposed to be a free deck recipe that they give you. Like an actual fully constructed deck, legendaries and all.

You definitely should've gotten that @Henroid

The free deck is only granted to New Players and to Returning Players who have not logged into Hearthstone in the past 4 months beginning on March 17, 2020.

You will only be offered the deck after you complete the New or Returning Player Introductory Quests.

Each Hearthstone account is limited to one free deck per play region.
    If you are a new player, or a returning player, you will be asked to complete a few introductory quests before you can jump to the game. You must complete these quests before you can play daily quests or earn login rewards during events and promotions.

New Player
    In addition to the tutorial, new players must complete the following quests. New Players who play Ranked Mode and reach Bronze are offered a free deck.

Name Requirements Reward

There's a full list of the available decks on tap here: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/fo9coo/free_deck_for_new_and_returning_players/

If you want some advice on which to pick, I'd recommend the Rogue, Mage, or Warlock. Mage comes with two Legendaries that you can use in any deck (Zephrys and Dragonqueen), but require you to build a deck without any duplicate cards. ...But you can use those two in any deck you want, just as long as you obey the deck-building restriction. They're very powerful legendaries!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I have not seen the word "Bronze" mentioned in the game yet.

• Options

Yep.

The Mage ability is freely targeted, and unlike the Rogue weapon ability you don’t take damage to your face for using it.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I have not seen the word "Bronze" mentioned in the game yet.
    New Players who play Ranked Mode and reach Bronze are offered a free deck.
    Oh, I think you have to get through some introductory ladder before you get to the Bronze/Silver/Gold/etc. ranks? Looks like you might not be to the point of being able to pick the free deck yet.

And I agree with Dibby. The Mage and Rogue decks are probably the best picks right now.

forty on
  • Options
    Well fuck my life then, I guess I need to throw myself to the wolves a bit longer. The game did NOT give me any indication about reaching "bronze" giving me a deck.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Why the hell is Cenarius so fucking impossible in this dumb 'story' quest? He just drops multiple 7/7 (or stronger) tanks over and over again.

Edit - Actually screaming at the game now.

Edit - I just got my 5th win in regular play. No deck? I got a card back design. Wow so cool.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Why the hell is Cenarius so fucking impossible in this dumb 'story' quest? He just drops multiple 7/7 (or stronger) tanks over and over again.

Edit - Actually screaming at the game now.

Edit - I just got my 5th win in regular play. No deck? I got a card back design. Wow so cool.

Are you playing Ranked? What rank are you?

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    He has to be playing ranked to get the season card back, but he is likely in the sub-bronze ranks for new players.

https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ranked#New_Player_Ranks
    New players to Hearthstone start in the Apprentice League, which contains 40 ranks, from Apprentice 40 to Apprentice 1. These ranks are exclusive to new players only, and players cannot lose stars in these ranks.

Many rewards are given out to players for climbing the Apprentice League. Players earn 3 Classic card packs upon reaching rank milestones at Apprentice 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10 and 5. Upon advancing out of Apprentice 1 and the entire Apprentice League, the player earns 2 Classic packs and 2 packs each for the most recent four Hearthstone expansions. The player will then be promoted to Bronze 10, gaining access to the normal player ranks and the ability to play with Wild cards.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Smurfing must be a thing in this game. I'm 39 in the 'apprentice' tier.

So basically 3 wins to go up a number. 3 x 40 = fuck this gaaaaaaaaame

Edit - Oh no wait its 4 wins to go up a number; 3 to fill out stars, and then a 4th to trigger an actual number up. I am in absolute agony playing this game. I should stop for my mental health.

Henroid on
  • Options
    The 4th gives you 1 star on the next level. So going from 40 to 1 will take 121 wins.

• Options
    Someone literally just played 5 or 6 cards on TURN 3. THREE MANA.

Uninstalling. Nope nope nope nope.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice and info in my brief days with this game. I'm old enough now to know poison when I see it and this game is it. Sucks that the Hearthstone community can't genuinely grow because of how insurmountable it is for new players to join in, I feel bad for those of you who got in early enough to be able to compete. You're stuck with more or less the same people to play with.

• Options
    Wow, that is a really long climb to the free deck. I suppose the rationale was to give new players a lot of time and chance to get a fair number of packs before they become chum in the general population.

• Options
    Dibby inspired me to play Reno Priest for my Wild climb. It's hilarious how much more abusable DH is when you have 6+ board clears and Reno.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I appreciate you sharing your journey @Henroid. It was definitely fun watching you go through the stages of HS so fast. We haven’t had a true new player experience here in a long time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    l8qsfkp9sv951.jpg

Well this made me lol.

• Options
    Imagine how strong Monk and Death Knight are going to be.

• Options
    Ironically, Demon Hunter is total crap in Arena.

• Options
    God, killing Ice Block with Zephrys is orgasmic.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised they don't just give everyone a full Classic set at this point. Anyone who's been playing since '14 finished it years ago.

Nope. I've said it before, but...

still

no

Harrison.

• Options
    Imagine how strong Monk and Death Knight are going to be.

EtQTCnQ.png

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    What a great teaser, I never would have suspected the expansion would have cards in it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's a weird change of direction but I'm interested.

• Options
    As far as actual leaks, this was briefly on reddit:

5F13XOU.jpg?1

I don't read Chinese, but posters indicated it's talking about a BG tournament, and that character is probably the Mage hero for preordering.

• Options
    She's cute!!!

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Oh, apparently the entire patch notes got leaked, too?
    Today’s 17.6 patch brings pre-purchase for Hearthstone’s newest expansion, Scholomance Academy! With it comes a handful of Battlegrounds updates, balance changes, and game improvements.

Battlegrounds Hero Pool Updates

NEW HERO

Tess Greymane

Bob’s Burgles [Cost 1]
    Refresh Bob’s Tavern with minions from your last opponent’s warband.
    Players with Battlegrounds Perks will have early access Tess Greymane before the hero is formally released on July 28.

RETURNING HEROES

King Mukla

Bananarama [Cost 1]
    Get 2 Bananas. At the end of your turn, give everyone else one.
    Dinotamer Brann

Battle Brand [Cost 1]
    Refresh Bob’s Tavern with Battlecry minions.
    UPDATED HEROES

Aranna Starseeker

Demon Hunter Training [Passive]
    Old: After you Refresh 7 times, Bob always has 7 minions. → New: After you Refresh 5 times, Bob always has 7 minions.
    Captain Hooktusk [Cost 0]

Trash for Treasure
    Old: Remove a friendly minion. Discover one from a Tavern Tier lower. → New: Remove a friendly minion. Get a random one from a Tavern Tier lower.
    Battlegrounds Minion Pool Updates

Pirates are no longer guaranteed to appear in every Battlegrounds game.
    NEW MINION

Amalgadon

[Tier 6, All] 6 Attack, 6 Health

Battlecry: For each different minion type you have, Adapt randomly.
    UPDATED MINION

Goldrinn, the Great Wolf
    Old: [Tier 5] → New: [Tier 6]
    Balance Updates

The following craftable cards will be eligible for a full dust refund for two weeks after the 17.6 patch goes live.

Dragonqueen Alexstrasza

Old: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (0). → New: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (1).
    Corsair Cache

Old: Draw a weapon. Give it +1/+1. → New: Draw a weapon. Give it +1 Durability.
    Metamorphosis

Old: Swap your Hero Power to "Deal 5 damage." After 2 uses, swap it back. → New: Swap your Hero Power to "Deal 4 damage." After 2 uses, swap it back.
    Kayn Sunfury

Old: 3 Attack, 5 Health → New: 3 Attack, 4 Health.
    Warglaives of Azzinoth

Old: [Cost 5] → New: [Cost 6].
    Dragoncaster

Old: [Cost 6] → New: [Cost 7].
    Fungal Fortunes

Old: [Cost 2] → New: [Cost 3].
    Galakrond, the Nightmare

Old: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (1).
    Galakrond, the Apocalypse (Rogue)

Old: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. They cost (1).
    Galakrond, Azeroth’s End (Rogue)

Old: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. They cost (1).
    Game Improvements & Bug Fixes

When random card back is selected, you will now see a randomized card back every time you open a pack and every time you open the Crafting menu.
    The UI has been updated with an icon on the top right that will indicate when you’re offline.

Buncha BG changes and such. Hooktusk giganerfed, Aranna buffed from 7 to 5, Goldrinn nerfed to T6 (!!!), new T6 minion, a new Hero and two returning Heroes.

Hmmmm!!!

DNiDlnb.png