As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I wish I could experience some losses due to misplays. I feel like I should start streaming or something just to get some of that streamer luck. My mulligans and draws are the absolute worst.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    God damn it, I just lost the game to get into Legend because I misordered my lethal.

https://youtu.be/LstIgtkEe50?t=22

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

Rogue wasn't oppressive, it was just creating too many explosive swingy turns.

Rogue Galakrond will still be good. You just won't be slamming 12/12 Edwins and developing a board full of minions on the same turn.

Like, y'all, drawing 4 cards is still really fucking good. Drawing 4 cards that get reduced to 1 mana is still really fucking good. That's still huge. Just.... maybe not on that same turn anymore.

rogue going off with a fully invoked gala was the entire reason the deck was even considered playing

same with alex, i expect the class and card to now be essentially unplayable

change my mind etc

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I wish I could experience some losses due to misplays. I feel like I should start streaming or something just to get some of that streamer luck. My mulligans and draws are the absolute worst.

A strange game, dr. Forty. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of Battleground?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    also strange to me that they're changing rogue galakrond and dq alex to 1 mana instead of 0 to reduce "explosive swingy turns" but then doing nothing about... spell druid/exotic mountseller with bogbeam/ironbark?

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    also strange to me that they're changing rogue galakrond and dq alex to 1 mana instead of 0 to reduce "explosive swingy turns" but then doing nothing about... spell druid/exotic mountseller with bogbeam/ironbark?
    Well technically they are nerfing that deck a little.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    still ignoring skull is the biggest gripe i have with these balance changes

i would have changed skull before anything else

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

I mean skull was nerfed previously, and it’s play is about right. Like it’s strong but it’s also higher cost. The changes to the rest is likely to have the desired effect on DH.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Okay. So I spent a couple hours with the game this morning. I unlocked the decks available to me at the start. It was a little rough on some of the matches but I kinda stumbled around deck customization until I finally landed on something comfortable for the mage. There were definitely tutorial rounds where I was getting beat up for the first half, and then after I had what I needed the game flipped on its head.

I even played a round of ranked just to see what it was like. And it started the same way too; a Paladin beating the shit out of me. Then I got the right spells to clear the board and get my army down and lit his ass up for a win.

I... god I think I like this game. I'll probably stream it frequently.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

I mean skull was nerfed previously, and it’s play is about right. Like it’s strong but it’s also higher cost. The changes to the rest is likely to have the desired effect on DH.

Skull is still Problematic because it not only lets an aggro deck draw through their whole deck, but the deck is low curve enough to let the DH play shit out on the same turn.

Skull should be a tempo loss. By all accounts. That's a 6 mana draw 3. That's Nourish. But this also lets you slam out three minions immediately.

It is by far one of the worst feeling cards to play against. That is often reason enough to warrant nerfs. Hell, they nerfed Cubelock for the same reason. Despite the winrate being within acceptable margins, the deck felt awful to play against, and they nerfed it because of that.

I do appreciate the Warglaives and Meta nerfs. Those WILL help a ton. But I also firmly believe Skull shouldn't exist in Aggro decks.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Skull is still Problematic because it not only lets an aggro deck draw through their whole deck, but the deck is low curve enough to let the DH play shit out on the same turn.

Skull should be a tempo loss. By all accounts. That's a 6 mana draw 3. That's Nourish. But this also lets you slam out three minions immediately.

It is by far one of the worst feeling cards to play against. That is often reason enough to warrant nerfs. Hell, they nerfed Cubelock for the same reason. Despite the winrate being within acceptable margins, the deck felt awful to play against, and they nerfed it because of that.

I do appreciate the Warglaives and Meta nerfs. Those WILL help a ton. But I also firmly believe Skull shouldn't exist in Aggro decks.
    Nourish by itself isn’t the nuts card with Druid, but the synergy with quest is the strength, because you can go from 6 mana to 8 mana and get the theee cards. It’s a swing card. The skull is a swing card. Honestly if they nerf skull it’ll shaman the demon hunter deck.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Nourish by itself isn’t the nuts card with Druid, but the synergy with quest is the strength, because you can go from 6 mana to 8 mana and get the theee cards. It’s a swing card. The skull is a swing card. Honestly if they nerf skull it’ll shaman the demon hunter deck.

I'm not saying Nourish is a nuts card at all. I'm saying the opposite; that a 6 mana draw 3 is a VERY slow card and should be a tempo loss when played. But Skull isn't because of the cost reduction into low curve minions means you're basically playing out a Rogue Galakrond effect. 6 mana draw 3 cards reduce their cost to 0.

They already have boatloads of draw. Do they really need Skull on top of it. Do they really need Skull of top of Altruis and Kayn. On top of all the aggressive minions that literally must die the turn they are played or you'll lose. On top of all the face damage. They have so many ways back into the game after you've stabilized. Maybe it is okay for DHs to lose games when they've lost steam already. Maybe that's fine.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I decided to try a bit of another deck, the shaman. It's very minion-buff oriented, which is a cool concept. But goddamn it takes a long time to activate and I've lost a few matches just because of bad draws. Harumph.

I still feel more adaptable as the mage but it's the first deck they give you.

Edit - And yes I've customized both decks a little bit. The shaman more subtly as I'm still learning it, the mage a bit more.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I decided to try a bit of another deck, the shaman. It's very minion-buff oriented, which is a cool concept. But goddamn it takes a long time to activate and I've lost a few matches just because of bad draws. Harumph.

Edit - And yes I've customized both decks a little bit. The shaman more subtly as I'm still learning it, the mage a bit more.

No offense meant by this, but it’s crazy viewing HS through the eyes of a new player after 6 years.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

No offense meant by this, but it’s crazy viewing HS through the eyes of a new player after 6 years.
    None taken, this is why I decided to make it a thing to stream. Jumping in so late into the game to give people that perspective.

• Options
    Henroid jockeying to be the last new Hearthstone player ever.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Ey, we finally got there, just had to stop throwing for like 4-5 games.

muNnzWN.png?1

No self recorded stats because the sheet is under reconstruction, but I've got HDT stuff.

OIGbR9G.png?1
    6Mye9Mt.png?1

Now the question is whether to jam Pirates or learn Quest Mage in Wild. It also occurs to me that DH is the only class I haven't climbed with yet, but I don't really feel the desire that I had to get the other 9 before.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I wish my account were flagged as "able to get win streaks."

• Options
    As far as deck composition goes, should class-exclusive cards make up a majority of the deck or minority?

• Options
    Class cards tend to be slightly stronger than neutral cards but there are a lot of good neutrals and they can fill in mechanical holes or offer synergy for your class cards. In general 20-25 of the cards in a 30 card deck will be class cards but it's neither a necessity nor a priority to fit that ratio. There have been strong decks with 30 class cards (modern Warrior lists for example) and also ones with under 15 (no recent examples but aggro Warlocks, often called Zoo, are frequently very neutral heavy).

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm starting to perceive a "impossible to compete" curve here with a lot of the cards I see played against me.

Edit - To elaborate, the pay to win aspect of this game is very much in my face right now. I know I can earn packs by doing missions and whatever, but I mean it's slow going. It depends on what missions just so happen to come my way, and otherwise the grind will involve just throwing myself to the wolves to lose over and over and over in matches I can't compete with because the modern starting decks don't compete with what arsenals people have built up over time or bought. So in other words, boy, this love affair didn't last long.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm starting to perceive a "impossible to compete" curve here with a lot of the cards I see played against me.

Edit - To elaborate, the pay to win aspect of this game is very much in my face right now. I know I can earn packs by doing missions and whatever, but I mean it's slow going. It depends on what missions just so happen to come my way, and otherwise the grind will involve just throwing myself to the wolves to lose over and over and over in matches I can't compete with because the modern starting decks don't compete with what arsenals people have built up over time or bought. So in other words, boy, this love affair didn't last long.

Yup, you just described the New Player Problem that Hearthstone has.

People have done experiments of starting brand new accounts and doing nothing but the daily quests (aka not cheating and skewing the results by getting a bunch of arena wins for gold....) and the results were astonishing. It takes FOREVER to get somewhere, anywhere as a new, non-paying player. It's insane. It's messed up. Even as a long term veteran player, I still feel like I have to drop money on the game.

Blizz really screwed the pooch with the new player experience. At least you found out sooner rather than later.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I've played a lot of F2P games, specifically at times to see how the free experience works out. So I guess that's what helped me notice it.

But yeah Hearthstone is absolutely one of the harsher examples of being screwed over by not paying money. But on top of that is the time investment compounding things and that suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Yeah, it's not a true P2W system, but it certainly is P2NGAFL (pay to not grind a fucking lot). Since I was playing HS from just after launch, the grind to get cards wasn't as bad. Even then, I dropped over $100 in packs and adventure modes. There reached a point where I was famously min/maxing for gold and buying 100 packs per expansion. But again, I had a head start.

When I tried to get into MtG: Arena, the slow acquisition found in that system as well, reared it's ugly head. I dropped the game after about a month because I just couldn't deal with the slow grind to get the cards I wanted. I imagine it's what most new HS players have to experience.

The slow slog of randomized card packs was one of the reasons I was apprehensive about playing any other CCGs. I tried out Legends of Runeterra because I read that it had no card packs. They just throw cards at you for playing the game. Like, lots of cards. I started playing during closed beta, which is about 4-5 months now, and I own 90% of the set, with enough wild cards to craft the rest if I wanted. I'm still blown away by this fact. Add in the fact that the game is a MtG/HS hybrid (deep, interactive gameplay of magic without all the land management), with bi-weekly balances, and I can't recommend it enough to new CCG players or people that are burned out on MtG and HS.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm guessing the grind wasn't so bad back in the day because everyone was more or less on the same footing for what goodies they were ending up with.

• Options
    I'm guessing the grind wasn't so bad back in the day because everyone was more or less on the same footing for what goodies they were ending up with.

Starting Hearthstone back when it first came out was probably the most pure experience you could have had with the game. One set, everyone on even footing.

As more time passed, it became harder for f2p players to keep up. Newer and more frequent sets made that difficult. No improvements to the f2p experience didn't help.

I will say that dropping money doesn't guarantee wins, like just because Billy drops $80 and has Good Cards doesn't mean he'll beat Jane, who is more skilled at the game but doesn't drop money on it. Skill does matter, but, powercrept Good Cards help a lot, too. And often Billy will beat Jane just because those cards are REALLY GOOD.

Dropping money is basically fasttracking the grind, though. Once I knew I liked the game, I was like, y'know what I will drop some money to strengthen my collection. I was in for the long haul, I had no problem with buying some packs.

But yeah, shit sucks. There's SO much more they could be doing for new/f2p players that they just aren't. Hearthstone is a game I wouldn't recommend to anyone who wants to start playing it.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm playing one of the story modes and this is so bad. Losing by luck of the draw is stupid. Turn 5 or 6, this boss had a 14/14 card on the table.

Edit - THIS IS SO FUCKING BAD. Oh my god fuck this game.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I'm playing one of the story modes and this is so bad. Losing by luck of the draw is stupid. Turn 5 or 6, this boss had a 14/14 card on the table.

THERE it is. Welcome. To the true Hearthstone experience.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Eeh, it's getting there. Needs more tears.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    "pay to win" is probably always going to be a problem in tcgs because the whole concept revolves around releasing a whole bunch of new cards every 8-12 weeks so anyone who's not paying money is always going to fall behind. That said, Hearthstone is incredibly stingy and that's probably not going to change unless we see stuff like Runeterra or MTGA really eat into their numbers.

Believe it or not, things used to be harder for f2players.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Yeah, Runeterra needs to be played by more HS players. It does so much more and is far more generous with giving away all the cards and refreshing the meta regularly.

At the very least, having another viable competitor will force HS to up their game and provide a better experience.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I remember a thread in r/games a couple years that was something like "What is a game you love that you would never recommend to a friend?", and the top 2 answers were EVE and Hearthstone.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Screenshot_20200712-131738.png?width=1083&height=609

I have played the everliving shit out of Highlander Priest since the expac dropped. It is by far my favorite deck to play right now. It's not endless board clears and attrition like Galakrond Priest, it feels a lot more midrangey. You get Zeph and Alex and those are fun. Just a fun fuckin' deck.

And somehow I've managed a positive winrate with it over 162 games. In this meta!! Not by much, obviously, but. A positive winrate is a positive winrate.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

Just wait until you get a turn 5/6 14/14 dropped on you in Standard ladder.

Fuck Edwin.

• Options
    Don't you get a full non-Basic premade deck at some point in the new player experience now? When does that unlock?

Which deck did you pick, Henroid?

• Options
    I'm kind of surprised they don't just give everyone a full Classic set at this point. Anyone who's been playing since '14 finished it years ago.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I've been playing since then (well, with a break until the mobile release hit) and still am not close to finishing it. :/

forty on
  • Options
    What are you missing? I presume Millhouse or something equally irrelevant? Now that there's no dupes it's pretty easy to get the HoF replacements from Brawl packs.

• Options
    9 legendaries (some relevant ones, already have Millhouse), 10 epics.

So I'm about a year's worth of Brawl packs away from having all the Epics, and ~3.5 years worth of Brawl packs away from all the legendaries.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

If I get a Gorehowl and a Kidnapper, I’ll have at least one of every Classic card.

Mind you, I’ve had Gorehowl and Kidnapper, they’ve just been turned to dust.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.