As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ... you love meth?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ... you love meth?

You beat me to it!

"shabu" is a nickname for meth in some countries.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Are you saying 17th-level Food Sorcerer/Arcane Noodle Scholar J. Kenji Lopez-Alt named his dog meth?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    meth-heads name things the dumbest shit.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm on prescribed stimulants and I named my cat duck!

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I've been putting off fermenting stuff for a while because I was supposed to be moving again, and didn't want to acquire equipment or have a shelf full of jars of funk. But y'know, COVID happened. So I started up a quick project to try to get me out of this horrible limbo I'm in.

r3zd93ofx64b.jpg

o0dyqkwf03iv.jpg

Here's a fermented green chilli paste/sauce with ginger, onion, garlic, a dash of fish sauce and maybe half a small lime.

It fermented for only about 10 days. It wasn't very active actually, I'm used to my ferments being super gassy, but this is my first time doing a chilli sauce with brine so maybe that's just how it goes? My previous fermentation experience is kimchi, sauerkraut and ginger beer.

It's perhaps a touch too salty. I'm glad I only used a little lime because the lime pickle flavour really does come through. It's wickedly hot.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So a general thread question.

Did you set yourself any culinary goals to learn while on lockdown? Did you have anything set as a single "I'm totally going to try and learn this (technique/recipe/skill" but you haven't gotten around to it yet?

Mine is making my own Mayo.

Mine is a one pan bfast sandwich. I cook my bacon, drain off some of the grease into the empty beer can I have left over from last night, crack 2 eggs into remaining grease with a knob of butter, cook for about 30 seconds then push to the side, in goes the bread to toast in the pan, plop everything onto toaster bread, hot sauce, mayo, consume.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    What’s your grungiest cooking hack this month

Mine is probably gonna be using a coconut ice cream bar I bought from my local Mexican grocer in a curry, because I didn’t want to crack a whole tin of coconut milk

Okay yesterday I was making a salad and I couldn't be assed to dirty a cutting board and knife to chop up green beans into 1" pieces so I literally used my teeth to chomp up pieces and put them on the salad so that's my new winner

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I made French dip sandwiches and instead of making garlic butter for the rolls I just tossed some garlic better than buillion into the au jus pot.

Is that grungy? I certainly felt like I was half assing it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    What’s your grungiest cooking hack this month

Mine is probably gonna be using a coconut ice cream bar I bought from my local Mexican grocer in a curry, because I didn’t want to crack a whole tin of coconut milk

Okay yesterday I was making a salad and I couldn't be assed to dirty a cutting board and knife to chop up green beans into 1" pieces so I literally used my teeth to chomp up pieces and put them on the salad so that's my new winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aELllFpqo8w

??

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    hahahahahahaha yes exactly oh god

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Proof that there is no god.

Solvent on

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    “A fucking knife for cutting? Who am I, JD motherfucking Rockefeller?”

• Options
    Solvent wrote: »

Proof that there is no god.

Lol now you've edited that it looks like you're saying that me having the ability to post on these forums is proof there is no God, which...

*sniff*

Yeah, okay, fair. I'll give you that.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Alright ya'll.

Bibimbap?

Fun as hell to say. Absolute Grade A+ word I 100% reccomend it. Say it whenever you can. Also it is delicious. But mostly its entertaining to say.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    It's grilling season, so I made some street food style elotes for lunch today:

D2ST45B.jpg?1

I had to fuss with them on the grill for longer than anticipated to get them properly charred, but the result was worth it

xet8c.gif

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Gat dang. It has been too long. I wonder if the good taco and elote truck is still along my old commute.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey Folks! I need some ideas.

I'm putting together a month worth of dinners out of regular food for emergency prep. Pretty much figuring out a week of food, then duplicating it four times. My goal is to make meals that stand alone, made from canned or dried foods that are shelf stable at room temperature with a long life. Here's what I have so far. I'm planning on cooking for 2-3 folks counting myself.

1. Vegetarian Chili. all ingredients are canned and off the spice rack. I can cook it with electricity in the slow cooker or in a dutch oven in my smoker. Pair with rice and you've got complete proteins. Also this ends up being like 8-12 meals, so it goes a long way.
    2. Pasta with canned Sauce (This is an emergency after all). Should be an easy meal to make on the stove or an outdoor gas burner.
    3. Canned Soup & *NEED IDEA HERE*
    4. Blank
    5. Blank
    6. Blank
    7. Blank

I also plan on having a tote with protein powder, powdered peanut butter, regular peanut butter, yeast & flour, some sweet snacks, vitamins and things like that.

So yea, Ideas would be super welcome!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Tuna mornay made with tinned corn and tinned tuna. Powdered milk, flour, water. Obviously it's better with a bit of fresh veg in it but still possible without. Perhaps tinned green peas, too?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    tonight I unlocked achievement: successfully put out a grease fire

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Yikes I hope it wasn't too bad and nobody got hurt!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Aash-e gandom: the soup that is practically a casserole. If you add a tablespoon of dried minced onion to the dry ingredients, all you need to complete the dish is water, a heat source, and a can of spinach to stir in at the end. You can swap out the spices for anything you'd usually put in a curry, so you can prep multiple jars and turn them into quite different flavors to avoid monotony.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Yikes I hope it wasn't too bad and nobody got hurt!

oh yeah it was no big deal at all, I just let my cast iron get too hot and the beef tallow that rendered out while I was making burgers ignited

I just put a lid on it

• Options
    My Mom and brother are coming out and we're going to have a socially distanced BBQ with my dad. We'll all sit outside and keep it chill. I have a brisket finishing up in the smoker, going on 12 hours, and some vegetarian chili in the slow cooker that I got going about 14 hours ago now. It's quite tasty. My mom is bringing homemade mac salad, a fruit salad and an apple cobbler.

It should be good stuff.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Double posting for results. This is probably the best brisket I've made to date. Did a mustard rub and a spice mix from Spice House called Brisket of Love. This brisket is so tender and flavorful. even a thick cut piece just barely holds itself together. Deffinitely a winner and I actually timed it out correctly so I wasn't rushing at all.

Picture of the finished product. I forgot to take a photo when I was cutting it the first time. This is leftovers. Still amazing.

kk5w7g861aan.jpg

It's so tender you can see where it pressed into the grates for it's last 90 minute finish.
    ucws7nplb27l.jpg

Also a neat shot of it when I hung it in the smoker this morning just after midnight.

tp59ggmqhpja.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @webguy20 Robert Evans talked about prepping somewhere, and had some very good links, the rabbit hole of prepping goes as deep as your imagination

• Options
    edited June 2020
    @webguy20 Robert Evans talked about prepping somewhere, and had some very good links, the rabbit hole of prepping goes as deep as your imagination

Oh yea. Its an interesting subject. My generals guidelines are 2 weeks without power or a month stuck in the house due to Covid (wife and I getting it consecutively). Thanks for the link!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Today's cooking adventure, turning some overripe bananas into a beautiful loaf.

• Options
    vo6X7zFh.jpg

I have been using bits of the homemade sai oua my friends sent me in tacos, sauteed with roasted sweet potato and topped with avocado and sour cream and cilantro and a bit of lemon juice

They are

Really goddamn good

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made a classic spanish-style tortilla for lunch today:

53lYbJV.jpg?1

Kept it simple this time with just green onion and bell pepper, but I want to revisit and try more advanced fillings

xet8c.gif

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so my go to breakfast lately has been sourdough bread, with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

and i'm finding myself not liking all of the plastic packaging that's coming with the salmon. plus I get so little product.

so, hoe hard would it be to either smoke my own, or just do a cured salmon like a lox?

It's just salt and sugar and let it dehydrate itself, right?

• Options
    so my go to breakfast lately has been sourdough bread, with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

and i'm finding myself not liking all of the plastic packaging that's coming with the salmon. plus I get so little product.

so, hoe hard would it be to either smoke my own, or just do a cured salmon like a lox?

do you have a weber charcoal bbq, or other similar? If so it's super easy to do a smoked salmon. A gas grill can do it too, but I've found it harder to keep it cold enough. Theres a million recipes on how to do it.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular

A couple of my friends have made Lox at home in their fridges recently, they said it was pretty easy.

• Options
    Smoked some baby back ribs yesterday. They turned out pretty good! I got this Spice Blend from spice house and it turned out super tasty, though I used too much rub for the amount of ribs. Made them a touch salty. I'll cut it back by like 25% next time.

ej83qs7bbw1f.jpg

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I made a one pot 'roo stew on saturday night. It's nice!

• Options
    That's a nice lookin' dutch oven. What brand is it and what size is it?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    looks like le creuset, bad at guessing sizes though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    It's a 28cm Pyrolux. As much as I'd love to have le creuset, this was a bunch cheaper.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think Le Creuset is worth the cost. I'd actually say The Lodge is just as good quality cookware and a fraction of the price (with the downside of being about twice as heavy). Don't know much about Pyrolux so can't comment.

This discussion has been closed.