As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I bought my Kitchenaid after I started taking pastry classes.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m still trying to summon up the nerve to bite the kitchenaid bullet.
    I can afford it, I’m just financially squeamish.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i just bought my kitchenaid when the US congress just sent me $1200 for filing my taxes every year.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    BBQ brisket, beans, & fresh corn on the cob tonight.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

I bought mine before I started taking pastry classes.

Because I have not yet taken pastry classes, you see.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    To save counter space I usually have my stand mixer in the pantry, I mostly only bust it out to knead dough or use the attachments. For actual baking/mixing I mostly use a hand mixer, unless I'm making like a triple batch of cookies or something.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

I bought mine before I started taking pastry classes.

Because I have not yet taken pastry classes, you see.

Check out your local community college! I took a chocolate & confections class at mine that was fantastic and inexpensive, and I never would have done any others if that first one hadn't gone so well.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Making a prepper version of vegetarian Shepard's Pie. Smells pretty good! Here's hoping it tastes as good.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I made J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe for American-Chinese-style kung pao chicken and it was pretty solid. Recipe works well even if you don't have a wok, just using a regular ol' frying pan and high heat on the range. If anything it's slightly less salty/sweet than most take out places, but that was remedied with some MSG.

jgeis on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Honestly if you're not sure you'll make large enough batches of stuff often enough to warrant a full-on stand mixer, the KitchenAid hand mixer is almost as high of quality (I assume the difference is largely due to electronic vs mechanical parts). We have both and my wife uses the latter way, way more.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I had a bunch of oats and whatnot that I would normally have eated with yoghurt for breakfast, but I thought maybe florentines?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    @tynic Meeeee tooooo! Wanna go halvsies on one together? It'll be like a timeshare... only it's a kitchen appliance and not a full house

• Options
    Every once in a while, the Kitchenaid stand mixers go on sale on Amazon for like 60% off. I totally admit, $460 is a really daunting price for one, but $220 is much more palatable for something that is, quite honestly, a kitchen workhorse.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Also check Costco! I got my model (the 6qt with the bowl lifter) for less than the 5qt head lift model sells on Amazon right now.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    the supermarket what has the affordable produce does not usually have affordable meat. But today they had beef heart for about $8 a kilo, which seemed like the perfect thing to top a lazy weeknight dinner of oyster sauce noodles and asparagus.

except now I can't get the iron taste out of my mouth, for some reason. I guess I usually eat offal with wine, and that cuts it.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I now also have to fight two additional factors: lack of counter space in the kitchen, and a partner who dislikes clutter.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    yeah I'm also lacking a bit on the storage space, but now I'm looking at my kitchen counter I realise I've had a 3D depth camera mounted to a miniature tripod up there since Monday, so clearly I'm not finding myself too cramped.

tynic on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    This year my wife and I went halvsies with our friend on a crate of peaches from a peach truck that drives up from Georgia to our city. All in all we ended up with something like 45 peaches and they all turned ripe today. So we cut up about 1/3 for peach smoothies, are using about 1/3 for making peach preserves tomorrow and the remainder this evening was a peach crumble. Every bite I took was heaven, just the bright summery goodness of fresh peaches along with warm cinnamon and toasty pecans.

IIjw1B8h.png

My only regret is we didn't have any vanilla ice cream in the freezer to gild the lily.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife is out of town so tomorrow I'm making my supped up "Bachelor Curry" but this time instead of normal beef broth I bought this bison bone broth to use and I'm pretty exited

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my personal wife-out-of-town meal is chili, because it's my favorite and she won't eat it

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife dislikes instant curry but it's a comfort food for me. Plus now that I'm an adult with adult tastes I get fresh veggies instead of frozen, add extra curry spice and some espresso, and get the good expensive meat from the butcher instead of frozen from the grocery store. Hopefully the bone broth is a good addition.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    the supermarket what has the affordable produce does not usually have affordable meat. But today they had beef heart for about $8 a kilo, which seemed like the perfect thing to top a lazy weeknight dinner of oyster sauce noodles and asparagus.

except now I can't get the iron taste out of my mouth, for some reason. I guess I usually eat offal with wine, and that cuts it.

Fats like cream or whole milk are the other thing you can use to cut beef heart and reduce that way down. We went through a big phase of cooking heart in grad school.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Fats like cream or whole milk are the other thing you can use to cut beef heart and reduce that way down. We went through a big phase of cooking heart in grad school.

Bee fart?

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    my personal wife-out-of-town meal is chili, because it's my favorite and she won't eat it

Double pepperoni pizza for me for dinner, and pancakes for breakfast.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My wife is out of town so tomorrow I'm making my supped up "Bachelor Curry" but this time instead of normal beef broth I bought this bison bone broth to use and I'm pretty exited

I make an English-style beef and potato curry that my partner loves, but I can only put a tiny bit of heat in it.

So of course when she's not here I make it so hot it makes me cry, sweat, gives me a runny nose, and my heart rate goes through the roof.

Unbelievably delicious, though!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Every once in a while, the Kitchenaid stand mixers go on sale on Amazon for like 60% off. I totally admit, $460 is a really daunting price for one, but $220 is much more palatable for something that is, quite honestly, a kitchen workhorse.
    Also check Costco! I got my model (the 6qt with the bowl lifter) for less than the 5qt head lift model sells on Amazon right now.

Both of these, with the additional caveat that the extra price (if there is one) for the larger lift-bowl style is usually not much, and the additional capacity really, really is nice to have. Especially if you're used to a hand mixer. If you're gonna have a two-device solution, it makes sense to maximize their capacity difference.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

I make an English-style beef and potato curry that my partner loves, but I can only put a tiny bit of heat in it.

So of course when she's not here I make it so hot it makes me cry, sweat, gives me a runny nose, and my heart rate goes through the roof.

Unbelievably delicious, though!

Recipe. Give.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    yeah I'm also lacking a bit on the storage space, but now I'm looking at my kitchen counter I realise I've had a 3D depth camera mounted to a miniature tripod up there since Monday, so clearly I'm not finding myself too cramped.

I need to get off my fucking duff and get some cabinets for our dining room so we have more room in our Kitchen drawers and suchlike for a stand mixer.

But COVID killed a lot of the profit I was hoping to make in the first half of the year so I’m antsy pulling the trigger.

sarukun on
  • Options
    I wanna slow cook chili this weekend.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've been grilling chicken hearts on the reg for a while and I'm due to go get some more, I might have to see what other kinds of hearts are lurking in the store and do a whole grilled heart thing.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I am a terrible human who does cook a fair bit but just have not found much use for my kitchenaid. There is a good bakery near us and I don't need to be eating anymore bread than I already am.
    To Bucketman's point about veggies, did frozen veg just get better in the past 15ish years, or were my parents just buying crap? Because SOME frozen veg is great! Green peas, carrots, black eyed peas especially I always keep around to have a quick healthy add in or thing I can nuke and put next to a protein. Growing up frozen veg was always terrribbbleee though.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    For most robust veggies, frozen is usually as good as or better than fresh unless you're buying high-quality in-season fresh produce. They're usually picked at the height of freshness instead of whatever off-season stage they could be coaxed into in a greenhouse, and flash-freezing is an excellent way to preserve flavor and texture.

Although, yeah, the cheap stuff is going to suffer just because they're buying lower-quality produce and maybe cutting corners on the production chain.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

I need to get off my fucking duff and get some cabinets for our dining room so we have more room in our Kitchen drawers and suchlike for a stand mixer.

But COVID killed a lot of the profit I was hoping to make in the first half of the year so I’m antsy pulling the trigger.

Get yourself a credenza! It's a fun word and a cool thing to have!

• Options
    I need to smoke something tonight. Not sure what. Do I do burgers? Tri-Tip? hmmmmm.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I need to smoke something tonight. Not sure what. Do I do burgers? Tri-Tip? hmmmmm.

Marijuana?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Marijuana?

I prefer edibles when it comes to that. Good suggestion though.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    At the request of @webguy20 , my step-grandma's black bean recipe.
    The style is "escabechado" because of the vinegar. Grandmami was Peruvian originally, so it may not actually be a traditionally Cuban style. This recipe is how much I usually make for myself, so that means it should serve four or five normal people.

Ingredients:
    - 2 cups dried black beans (3 cups canned also works and is a lot faster, but Grandmami will be mad at you)
    - 4 strips of bacon (I use 6, because I am a decadent fatass)
    - 1 white onion, aim for a big one
    - 1 tsp cumin
    - A nebulous but very small amount of coriander that you're going to have to figure out for yourself and know that whatever volume you settle on it's wrong.
    - A similarly nebulous small amount of cilantro, but I overwhelmingly prefer without.
    - 1 tblsp garlic, minced (probably more, but it's a good place to start)
    - 1 tblsp Aji Panca chili powder paste (my Mexican sister-in-law picks some up for me at the spanish grocery store, because my lily white ass is embarrassed to intrude there)
    - 1 Aji Amraillo chili pepper. Remove seeds, slice thin. That's moderately spicy, so you can be forgiven for substituting a milder pepper if you want.
    - 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

Soak your beans overnight. Drain. Fill pot with new water (not your bean soaking water), until beans are covered, then bring to a simmer. Add a slice of bacon. Simmer until beans are tender. This will be "a while". Such precision! Drain again, but this time keep about a cup of the bean water and set it aside.

Take half the beans. Puree them with the cup of bean water you saved.

Fry the rest of your bacon until it's crispy, crumble it, and set it aside. Don't clean out the skillet yet though, we need the grease still!

Slice up your onion into thin crescents. Put the onion and the garlic in the skillet you used for the bacon, and add the cumin, coriander, and the Aji Panca chili powder paste. And the cilantro, if you must. Cook in the bacon grease until the onions are golden brown and turning translucent. Add the Aji Amarillo pepper slices and simmer for a few more minutes.

Add the pureed beans to the skillet and simmer, stirring regularly, for a few minutes. Like 5 or so. This crap is not precise at all, sorry.

At a point in time that you will know in your heart if you are a true Samurai Warrior, add the rest of your un-pureed beans, the crumbled bacon, and the vinegar. Keep simmering until it's all warmed through.

Serve with white rice, obviously.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Made bbq hawaiian tofu bowls last night. Quinoa, pineapple, roasted bell peppers zucchini and onion, baked tofu then throw in a pan with bbq sauce. Turned out really well, but I suggested doing just rice next cause the quinoa didn't really soak up the good juices or sauce

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So I've been trying that cowardly alternative to actually eating right where you restrict all your calorie intake to a six-hour window. Since my work and sleep schedule already lend themselves to a late lunch and a fairly early dinner, cutting out breakfast did 90% of the work for me. It's been going pretty well so far.

The only problem is that I love breakfast food. So I made a deal with myself that instead of eating a basic-ass breakfast every day, I'll just have really elaborate late brunch food on my days off. Which means I just spent an hour roasting potatoes so I could put them in the best breakfast burrito I have ever had.

This diet rules.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I've been buying fresh ground breakfast sausage from the local butcher. It is AMAZING. fried up into patties with a bit of salt and pepper.

This discussion has been closed.