As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There's a Le Creuset rip-off brand called Chasseur which is close as damnit to as good as (their stuff even looks almost exactly the same), and it's like half the price.

In my mind that math works out very strongly in favour of Chasseur.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Le Creuset has been tested against Lodge. It is certainly the better deal. Le Creuset has probably the best glaze in the industry. It will last decades without chipping, while the lodge is much more prone to chipping over time, especially right where the lid seats on. It's arguable whether you'll get 5 or 6 lodges of lifetime out of the Le Crueset, but it is certainly higher quality.

I would love to see wear comparisons with the Chasseur listed.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I got a Staub dutch oven from my wedding registry and it's easily the nicest piece of kitchenware I own.

• Options
    I got a Staub dutch oven from my wedding registry and it's easily the nicest piece of kitchenware I own.

I love the look of the Staubs. I wonder if they can actually take coals on the top of them like a regular cast iron dutch oven.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got a le creuset last week as a wedding present

it ruuuules

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Also I made cookies yesterday purely because for whatever reason my quarantine-addled brain decided it would be really fun to brown a fuckload of butter. The cookies were amazing. I used this recipe, highly recommend.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have learned about an Argentinian croissant called a medialuna

I was going to spend my weekend exercising but uhh

hm

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Le Creuset has been tested against Lodge. It is certainly the better deal. Le Creuset has probably the best glaze in the industry. It will last decades without chipping, while the lodge is much more prone to chipping over time, especially right where the lid seats on. It's arguable whether you'll get 5 or 6 lodges of lifetime out of the Le Crueset, but it is certainly higher quality.

I have a 24cm Chasseur as well that I got first before a few years later deciding that it's too small and I was bored with cleaning the cooktop so much (I got both it and the Pyrolux at least 50% off). It feels nicer and like it's going to last longer than the Pyrolux, but I don't use either of them enough to make a Creuset a sensible purchase. If you are going to look into buying one, keep an eye on kitchen places having a good sale on them, and I'd suggest that the 24cm one is too small for most recipes - get the bigger one and save yourself the headache.

This has been pimento's consumer advice.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I have a 24cm Chasseur as well that I got first before a few years later deciding that it's too small and I was bored with cleaning the cooktop so much (I got both it and the Pyrolux at least 50% off). It feels nicer and like it's going to last longer than the Pyrolux, but I don't use either of them enough to make a Creuset a sensible purchase. If you are going to look into buying one, keep an eye on kitchen places having a good sale on them, and I'd suggest that the 24cm one is too small for most recipes - get the bigger one and save yourself the headache.

This has been pimento's consumer advice.

Oh yea, any pot, pan or other vessel that is over $100 I wait for sales on. I got a nice $120 Field skillet for $60 new on sale. Well worth it at that price.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    According to America's Test Kitchen, it does appear the Le Creuset is potentially worth the cost, but the Cuisinart is probably a better bang for your buck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfNwXXESiU

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Le Creuset are 100% presents to buy other people. They are nice and pretty, and worth the money (kind of) but it’s just one of those things that are difficult to justify spending on yourself.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Le Creuset are 100% presents to buy other people. They are nice and pretty, and worth the money (kind of) but it’s just one of those things that are difficult to justify spending on yourself.

Agree. It's a Big Event gift. I could see splurging on yourself for a big birthday, or like if you're moving or heavily remodeling and have a little cash left over. Like if we remodeled our kitchen, I would definitely include "new cookware" as a line item in the budget for that, because probably between 2/3s and 3/4s of what we have currently is hand-me-down.

And hand me downs are awesome! But you gotta upgrade your shit eventually, so you can pass it on to the next person.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    We have a few cuisine art pieces. No creuset, unfortunately. I have a scanpans and I love em, are they worth the price tag ?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’ve had scanpan stuff that has lasted (so far) thirteen years, but I’ve also had their pots(and out of everything, how hard is it to get a pot right?) crap out on me and need to be replaced after like five years?

I do want to get one of the scanpan big bake pans that can go on the stove top.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Belated July 4th post... I recently moved back to the Boston area, so I decided to make the independence day meal Boston themed. I made Boston baked beans, Boston brown bread, and bacon-wrapped stuffed hot dogs (not Boston related but still delicious):

sRmaT6i.jpg?1

bx5HzMK.jpg?1

2DwxHA5.jpg?1

This was basically Molasses: The Meal

xet8c.gif

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yessss, love me some Boston brown bread.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thinkin bout thos beans

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tell me about the bread, please

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Tell me about the bread, please

Ok yes this bread is wild

It's full of molasses and super sweet, and you can enhance it as you please (I added raisins per the recipe)

Instead of baking it, you steam it, traditionally in a coffee or other tall can

I searched all over my grocery store looking for a suitable can and just as I was about to give up found a can of... Boston brown bread. So we got to do a little taste test versus the corporate version (mine was better)

It's good plain but really excels toasted with a spread

xet8c.gif

• Options
    1:15 on the smoker. Super juicy and delicious. That smoker is probably one of the best things I've ever bought.

s9ieh07mc6b3.jpg
    w1emw4ld3kr4.jpg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Man whoever suggested using very hot water and the gentlest of scrubbing with a clean sponge (might have been @webguy20 ) to get stuck crap off a cast iron, that was bang on the money. Easily cleaned some stuck on crud off and didn't damage the seasoning at all, pan is cooking better than ever.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Man whoever suggested using very hot water and the gentlest of scrubbing with a clean sponge (might have been @webguy20 ) to get stuck crap off a cast iron, that was bang on the money. Easily cleaned some stuck on crud off and didn't damage the seasoning at all, pan is cooking better than ever.

Glad its working out! I haven't had to salt scrub my pans in over a year after switching over. The final piece of cleaning equipment in my arsenal is a good straight edged wooden spatula. Makes a great scraper if you've got something a bit harder on there. Bonus is that you just use them for cooking too. Works great for scraping the tasty crunchy bits off the bottom of the pan.

• Options
    I generally do hot water and a plastic brush

works like a champ

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I generally do hot water and a plastic brush

works like a champ

Yea you pretty much just want something softer than the seasoning.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I made ice cream cake!

uOtYsksh.png
    EX3tFWOh.png

top layer is strawberry, bottom is banana, with a shortbread crust

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife is gong out of town this weekend so it's time for dishes she won't eat. Gong to make some sausage and sauerkraut Friday night. I usually just grab a cheap can of the Frank's kraut, but this time they had a brand of "fresh" stuff on sale called Bubbies, so I'm giving that a shot. I will report back on it.

• Options

it ruuuules

Hey @Shorty , congrats on the getting married!

• Options
    thanks!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i don't believe it, I bet that's actually a cake

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

it ruuuules

hey @Shorty , congrats on getting a le creuset!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any tried and tested recipes for fresh pasta?

It's my next goal for myself nuts that I've got the KitchenAid and the attachments.

I get that is flour, eggs, salt, water, oil so it shouldn't be too hard

But it probably is.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    100 grams of flour, 1 egg per person

Stick blend until pebbles, throw out on a surface, bring together and knead by hand for like 5 minutes, rest for twenty minutes and then work through the pasta roller. Add water or flour if it looks too dry/wet.

I like to start by rolling all of it as a single mass in its most open position (position, not number, they can always go wider) folding until it comes together and then work down the numbers until it becomes too big, then divide up and keep working down the numbers until it is at the desired thickness.

Blake T on
  • Options

it ruuuules

hey Shorty , congrats on getting a le creuset!

getting married was the only way it was ever going to happen!

• Options

it ruuuules

Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that 90% of people who own a KitchenAid stand mixer got it as a wedding gift.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm in the remaining 10% that got it as a housewarming gift

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As an adult that got into cooking and gardening this year I bought myself a kitchenaid.

I am the 1%

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I only bought my Kitchenaid because I used to work for their parent company and got basically at-cost pricing.

Otherwise I'd probably not have one.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    To be fair, I am still a statistic, I just lost the old kitchenaid in the divorce.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

it ruuuules

Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that 90% of people who own a KitchenAid stand mixer got it as a wedding gift.

This was exactly what I was going to post.

• Options

it ruuuules

I got mine when my parents decided they didn't actually need a second home

This discussion has been closed.