As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    switzerland is an absolute motherfucker to send stuff to.
    It suuuuuuuucks, it's super expensive, and it's complicated.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular

*Brexit excitement building*

oh, joy!!

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    As the negatives of Brexit become ever clearer I'm yet to hear about the benefits in such detail....

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    As the negatives of Brexit become ever clearer I'm yet to hear about the benefits in such detail....

sovereignty, fish, border control?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

you know, things we already had

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »

you know, things we already had

yes but now we have more of that!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

as a customs consultant,

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Re: Amazon thing

Well fucking duh. Did anyone not see that coming?

Brexiteers.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Re: Amazon thing

Well fucking duh. Did anyone not see that coming?

No, lots of people thought Amazon would do *waves hands* some sort of magic thing *stops waving hands and looks exasperated instead* to make everything work like before.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Technology.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit confused about the Amazon thing.

I'm in Norway. Norway does not allow import of any goods from the EU (or anywhere else) without paying VAT (plus a VAT assessment fee). Until this year, they waived the VAT (and the fee) if the package was worth less (incl. shipping charges) than 350 NOK (ca 30 GBP / 33 EUR).

But both shcemes were unilateral decisions by the Norwegian government. Is it not within the powers of the UK govt to waive VAT on imports if they feel like it?

(On exports it's obviously up to the EU / recipient country.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It's not solely a vat thing, is the issue

Basically Amazon is declining to take on processing the (hundreds of thousands? millions?) of customs declarations and other formalities required to transfer small consignments EU<->UK through its logistics network on behalf of Amazon sellers

This can also be viewed, incidentally, as another manifestation of the "mixed consignment" issue that the supermarkets have been shouting about

At the moment, a lot of logistics networks are built around the assumption that you can just put a pile of mixed stuff on a truck and move it across the border. Post brexit, this is probably impractical, because every individual item now potentially needs its own customs declaration

If it involves food, or other regulated goods, there are also inspections and conformity assessment certifications required

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I'm in Norway. Norway does not allow import of any goods from the EU (or anywhere else) without paying VAT (plus a VAT assessment fee). Until this year, they waived the VAT (and the fee) if the package was worth less (incl. shipping charges) than 350 NOK (ca 30 GBP / 33 EUR).

But both shcemes were unilateral decisions by the Norwegian government. Is it not within the powers of the UK govt to waive VAT on imports if they feel like it?

I suspect something like it will suddenly become possible when Jeff Bezos just coincidentally happens to donate a large sum of money to the Conservative Party.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I suspect something like it will suddenly become possible when Jeff Bezos just coincidentally happens to donate a large sum of money to the Conservative Party.

Norway is part of the single market, so if Bezos can get the Conservatives to keep the UK in the single market by throwing money at them I won't complain (too much).

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

This isn't really Bezos' problem, is the thing. It's happening to all similar vendors, it's just that Amazon is the largest one. In fact, in some ways, Amazon probably has something of an advantage, because they have the logistics to deal with this while still passing on the costs and keeping a bunch of their customers.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Norway is part of the single market, so if Bezos can get the Conservatives to keep the UK in the single market by throwing money at them I won't complain (too much).

We are part of the single market, but with some broad exceptions. I can't buy stuff from the EU and have it shipped to me without paying VAT and a (substantial) VAT handling fee.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    daveNYC wrote: »

We are part of the single market, but with some broad exceptions. I can't buy stuff from the EU and have it shipped to me without paying VAT and a (substantial) VAT handling fee.

Right and the tories have decided that remaining part of the single market would be blasphemy of the great god Brexit.

So they could theoretically negotiate something similar, but they won’t.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    There was a vat exemption for small consignments, as outlined in the twitter threads that started the discussion

However its effect has mostly been for large internet retailers to site their brass plate and fulfillment centres in the channel islands where they don't have to pay UK corporation tax

• Options
    So a full cabinet meeting has been called and will be held indoors with no masks....

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

To the point that there's a thriving business in towns that border Switzerland for delivery addresses that Swiss people can send packages to, then go and collect them.
    When I lived in Zurich, I had electronics sent to a place in Konstanz, and just took the train over the border, picked it up and came back. So much cheaper than having it sent to my door.

A bit trickier to pull off when you're an island, to be fair... oh well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

To the point that there's a thriving business in towns that border Switzerland for delivery addresses that Swiss people can send packages to, then go and collect them.
    When I lived in Zurich, I had electronics sent to a place in Konstanz, and just took the train over the border, picked it up and came back. So much cheaper than having it sent to my door.

Maybe not the eastern island. But depending on what happens with the Ireland/North Ireland border* it might be a possibility for those there.

* Has anything been properly proposed for the border now that BoJo and Bros have officially driven the bus off the cliff? Last time I heard it mentioned, they were just handwaving a solution was coming, for real, trust us.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Maybe not the eastern island. But depending on what happens with the Ireland/North Ireland border* it might be a possibility for those there.

* Has anything been properly proposed for the border now that BoJo and Bros have officially driven the bus off the cliff? Last time I heard it mentioned, they were just handwaving a solution was coming, for real, trust us.

I was going to make a joke that it'd be very much a reverse 80's to have people from the North coming south to sneak goods back over the border, but I also have no idea what in the ever loving fuck the story with the border is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    All the amendments to the Trade and Agriculture bill that would protect British farmers and give MPs more oversight of Trade deals are all being roundly defeated tonight.

And the amendment that would prevent the NHS being part of trade deals.

No mention of this in the BBC news website.

No wonder people are so unawares of the danger of Brexit.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    It's not on the Guardian's site either, though not sure if that makes it better or worse.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Russia report is being released today, which is likely going to eat up a lot of the oxygen in the room.

I don't think the press has been absent any discussion of the dangers of Brexit.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular

Also, technically, you have to declare those goods when you cross the border.
    And since Brexit is all about getting control of the borders, there will be checkpoint where you have to do that.

It'll presumably be like Basil, where they check your car before you're allowed to enter.
    At least, they always seem to check mine, and not just to see if I have a Swiss Road Vignette.
    (Those road tax things wouldn't be so annoying if they weren't so hard to remove)

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I was going to make a joke that it'd be very much a reverse 80's to have people from the North coming south to sneak goods back over the border, but I also have no idea what in the ever loving fuck the story with the border is.

The latest, as I understand it, is there's going to be custom checks at the sea-border between NI and the rest of the UK.
    So, you'll have to declare if what you're taking with you on the boat is going to stay in NI, or going to the EU market.
    Things destined for the EU will then be sealed and registered, and will presumably be checked somewhere else for that seal? (unclear about that part, because that can't happen at the NI <-> Ireland border) So it's deliciously unclear about how it'll all work.
    Maybe NI will just end up being de-facto in the EU free market, and will be aligned with the EU instead of the UK?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    a fucking mess is what it's going to be.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    So the Russia Report is out (pdf)

The ISC's summary
    Intelligence and security committee questions whether government took its eye off the ball on Russia, finds that they underestimated the response required to the Russian threat and are still playing catch up:

Russian influence in the UK is the new normal. Successive governments have welcomed the oligarchs and their money with open arms, providing them with a means of recycling illicit finance through the London ‘laundromat’, and connections at the highest levels with access to UK companies and political figures.

This has led to a growth industry of ‘enablers’ including lawyers, accountants, and estate agents who are – wittingly or unwittingly – de facto agents of the Russian state.

It clearly demonstrates the inherent tension between the government’s prosperity agenda and the need to protect national security. While we cannot now shut the stable door, greater powers and transparency are needed urgently.

UK is clearly a target for Russian disinformation. While the mechanics of our paper-based voting system are largely sound, we cannot be complacent about a hostile state taking deliberate action with the aim of influencing our democratic processes.

Yet the defence of those democratic processes has appeared something of a ‘hot potato’, with no one organisation considering itself to be in the lead, or apparently willing to conduct an assessment of such interference. This must change.

Social media companies must take action and remove covert hostile state material: government must ‘name and shame’ those who fail to act.

We need other countries to step up with the UK and attach a cost to Putin’s actions. Salisbury must not be allowed to become the high water mark in international unity over the Russia threat.

A number of issues addressed in this published version of the Russia report are covered in more depth in the classified annex. We are not able to discuss these aspects on the grounds of national security.

Headlines are:
    Russia did interfere in the Brexit referrendum, but it is impossible to say by how much.
    Boris lied about the reasons to hold back it's release.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    The report seems pretty angry about the lack of investigation and sanguine "oh well" attitude of the intelligence services over Russian interference. Whether they were taking their lead from a government anxious not to investigate for fear of finding something is unclear, but it doesn't seem unlikely.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    The report seems pretty angry about the lack of investigation and sanguine "oh well" attitude of the intelligence services over Russian interference. Whether they were taking their lead from a government anxious not to investigate for fear of finding something is unclear, but it doesn't seem unlikely.

I'd say pretty iron-clad when you take into account the intentional dragging of feet over the Cambridge Analytica warrants, whilst they were even being filmed shredding documents and removing evidence, with the police only allowed in after all the vans had left.

• Options
    In spite of the ISC recommendation for one, the government has already said there will be no investigation in Russian interference in the Brexit vote because it's seen no evidence of interference, begging the question of how you expect to see evidence without investigating, you utter scumfucks.

If you don't look, you can't find, which is the point, I suppose.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    In spite of the ISC recommendation for one, the government has already said there will be no investigation in Russian interference in the Brexit vote because it's seen no evidence of interference, begging the question of how you expect to see evidence without investigating, you utter scumfucks.

The government position on brexit referendum irregularities remains sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting “LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU”

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

The government position on brexit referendum irregularities remains sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting “LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU”

When you turn on the light and the cockroaches scatter, it means they were never there.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I do wish there was going to be significant pushback on the fact that an investigation says the government actively avoided investigating Russian interference, and the government response is to not investigate Russian interference.
    But it'll be history by Friday. Nothing to see here, move along, we'll have a vaccine any yearmonthweekday now, promise, please go out and spend money.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    For better or worse (almost certainly worse) it's now established precedent that nothing can overturn a vote except another vote. No one wants a public investigation because there's no point, no matter what an investigation finds we can't un-ring the bell. The political will and mechanisms to do such a thing don't exist, and even if they did we've passed the point where we can unilaterally undo Brexit. The only tool in the box to fix situations where disinformation (foreign state backed and otherwise) has caused voters to shit the bed is to wait and hope they manage to mop it up in time for the next vote, which isn't really a particularly good situation for general elections on a five-year cycle never mind referendums that happen just whenever governments want them or are backed into having them.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    FT journalist, quoting a Daily Mail (!) journalist in the government briefing.

The original tweet was deleted, probably because it identified the journalist when that might be not the done thing. I dunno. Anyway, he tweeted the same thing without the journalists's name (but it was a DM journalist).

Bogart on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Seems like it got deleted in a hurry. What was it?

• Options
    As glad as I am to see Farage off the air, it provided a good perspective on the insane parts of british society.
    I'm wondering how the brexit supporting morons will spin this.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    As glad as I am to see Farage off the air, it provided a good perspective on the insane parts of british society.
    I'm wondering how the brexit supporting morons will spin this.

"No evidence was found"

This discussion has been closed.