As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    As glad as I am to see Farage off the air, it provided a good perspective on the insane parts of british society.
    I'm wondering how the brexit supporting morons will spin this.

"No evidence was found"

There must be a way to gloat and revel in the self harm inflicted upon these people without laughing at all the poor unfortunate souls dragged along with them.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    There must be a way to gloat and revel in the self harm inflicted upon these people without laughing at all the poor unfortunate souls dragged along with them.

I don't think they care.

They got what they wanted, they don't care if it actually produces any damage or not.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    You'd like to think the journalists who said oh Johnson getting Covid 19 will change him and make him more compassionate realise by now how deeply stupid they were but one suspects not.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Boris "I hope that the virus will be over by Christmas."
    Scientists: "The virus will not be over by Christmas."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

let's focus on the immediate, i.e. his promised deal that he would secure in the next 10 days despite having oven ready ones months ago.
    Urgh this topic is tiring.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So ScotPol twitter is fun today

The Scottish Tories are also proposing (in their press release), perplexingly, that such an inquiry should be carried out by the Scottish government, despite intelligence and defence being reserved powers

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sorry, American coming in here with a question.

When you say those are "reserved powers" do you mean exclusively by UK Parliament, and the Scottish government can't act on it if they wanted to?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

His actual statement was that he would hope for a return to significant normalcy by Christmas, which is completely possible in a continual whole of government response to Covid-19. China is returned to significant normalcy for most areas, including Wuhan. So, it can be done. But, its not like it will just happen all by itself. It requires a near endless ramping of measures against the virus.

Effectively, test 10% of the population every day, and have contact tracing and you can beat this into the ground. Its not gone, but its like tuberculosis. You can get it, but you won't spread it much etc. Clearly there are smarter paths than that with less testing and more tracing, but, there is a way out even admitting the virus will not be gone.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's not gone but it's like tuberculosis, the most deadly infectious disease in the world, may not sound as reassuring as you think

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sorry, American coming in here with a question.

When you say those are "reserved powers" do you mean exclusively by UK Parliament, and the Scottish government can't act on it if they wanted to?

Yes, matters of defence are exclusively reserved to Westminster in terms of law and legal authority

In practice, it means that the Scottish government could carry out its own investigation, but it couldn't, for instance, direct the intelligence services to look into specific allegations or provide information, so it would be unlikely to achieve much

• Options
    It's not gone but it's like tuberculosis, the most deadly infectious disease in the world, may not sound as reassuring as you think

What im meaning here is the spread of tuberculosis in the UK and other nations with an active and successful (well, reasonably so until we started being stupid about antibiotic use) anti TB program using vaccinations, contact tracing, treatment and so on. We should be concerned, we will need to be vigilant for years to come. But vigilant does not have to mean an endless parade of despair.

Effectively TB still exists (so does leprosy, the black plague and malaria) and if the governments of the world just said "Screw it" then those diseases would come roaring back all over the world within 36 months. You don't have to end up like us in the USA here. Many nations have held this virus at bay with detection and screening technology invented for the virus within weeks of it existing and based on a technology which is barely fit for purpose for mass screening (one by one PCR testing). Testing and tracing can be continually improved. Many nations could probably achieve local elimination of the virus as these things become better and better. Johnsons statement was a bit stupid, but, it can be true if the correct actions are taken.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Johnsons statement was a bit stupid, but, it can be true if the correct actions are taken.
    Spoiler warning:
    Correct measures will not be taken.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

What im meaning here is the spread of tuberculosis in the UK and other nations with an active and successful (well, reasonably so until we started being stupid about antibiotic use) anti TB program using vaccinations, contact tracing, treatment and so on. We should be concerned, we will need to be vigilant for years to come. But vigilant does not have to mean an endless parade of despair.

Effectively TB still exists (so does leprosy, the black plague and malaria) and if the governments of the world just said "Screw it" then those diseases would come roaring back all over the world within 36 months. You don't have to end up like us in the USA here. Many nations have held this virus at bay with detection and screening technology invented for the virus within weeks of it existing and based on a technology which is barely fit for purpose for mass screening (one by one PCR testing). Testing and tracing can be continually improved. Many nations could probably achieve local elimination of the virus as these things become better and better. Johnsons statement was a bit stupid, but, it can be true if the correct actions are taken.

Tuberculosis kills more than any other infectious disease worldwide. There's no "effectively" it still exists, unless you think the people it's killing don't count for some reason. Same as malaria. That is a weird statement.

• Options
    Johnsons statement was a bit stupid, but, it can be true if the correct actions are taken.
    Spoiler warning:
    Correct measures will not be taken.

You may well be right, but don't fall into the trap the US did of some people assuming things will be equally crap whether we do our best vs this or don't. I fell victim to it a bit myself here, but its clear that a well designed endlessly ramping response can achieve strong results against this virus. Dont assume that you are going to fail, the UK is in a spot where local and personal actions can make a big difference.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

The Scottish Tories are also proposing (in their press release), perplexingly, that such an inquiry should be carried out by the Scottish government, despite intelligence and defence being reserved powers

I'm confused, why are the SCons seeking a review into the Indyref? It produced the result they wanted. I could understand the SNP wanting to look into it but all the indications at the time were Russia was actually in favour of Scottish independence because they thought it would throw a wrench into NATO and the EU (haha 2014 was a very different time).

• Options

Tuberculosis kills more than any other infectious disease worldwide. There's no "effectively" it still exists, unless you think the people it's killing don't count for some reason. Same as malaria. That is a weird statement.

The death toll from TB and Malaria in Europe and the US and much of Asia have been decreased by multiple orders of magnitude, and by an order of magnitude at least worldwide. They exist, but in many parts ot the world robust infection control practices mean you can live without fear of them, and throughout the world your risk from them has been immensely reduced.

I'm not saying it doesn't count. I'm saying that simply because a deadly virus exists in the world does not mean that our lives have to be endlessly terrible due to it. Hugely effective mitigation is clearly possible.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's possible. Yes.
    Do you really think this government is going to have a "hugely effective" response to... anything?

• Options
    This government will strive to have a 'just effective enough to stave off total disaster' response, and call it a hugely effective response.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    This government will strive to have a 'just effective enough to stave off total disaster' response, and call it a world beating response.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And at this rate, they may well fail even at that.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I'm confused, why are the SCons seeking a review into the Indyref? It produced the result they wanted. I could understand the SNP wanting to look into it but all the indications at the time were Russia was actually in favour of Scottish independence because they thought it would throw a wrench into NATO and the EU (haha 2014 was a very different time).

Because then they get to say that its not partisan. See the liberals were helped too, Russian interference is neutral and has no push one way or another. They also get ammo against another upcoming referendum. “Russia is for it and you don’t want to do what they want do you?”

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Clearly the first indyref is null and void as a consequence of foreign interference and should be re-run immediately.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    This government will strive to have a 'just effective enough to stave off total disaster' response, and call it a world beating response.

You have no idea how much I'd like to be in a place which had a response effective enough to stave off a total disaster.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

let's focus on the immediate, i.e. his promised deal that he would secure in the next 10 days despite having oven ready ones months ago.

Well you have to wait for the oven the heat up first, and then there's the baking time...

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

Because then they get to say that its not partisan. See the liberals were helped too, Russian interference is neutral and has no push one way or another. They also get ammo against another upcoming referendum. “Russia is for it and you don’t want to do what they want do you?”

That doesn't seem like a particularly compelling reason balanced against the risk it could be used as an argument for indyref 2. If that's legitimately their play it's a really stupid one.

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Well you have to wait for the oven the heat up first, and then there's the baking time...

dare I ask:
    what is the equivalent to the time saving measure of making the food oven-ready in this particular analogy?

If it were me, I'd be asking Boris if:
    a) he was lying about the oven-readiness
    b) David Frost is so incredibly incompetent that he isn't capable of shoving something into an oven

I'm sure he'll yammer on about "what the british people really want" but it needs to be asked for posterity's sake.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Deal is Oven Ready - soon as we get an oven, we can work on a deal!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Edit: sorry bogart missed mod post

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    these last PMQs were pretty bad.
    The UK is well and truely goosed.

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    "more flip-flops than Bournemouth beach".

FFS, Boris. Are these dad jokes the only preparation he makes for PMQs?

Also, seeing lots of complaints about Labour's settlements to their whistleblowers from the usual suspects (Corbyn's threatening to make a statement, apparently). Why would anyone want to prolong the antisemetism conversation, knowing full well that it would continue to damage the party's reputation amongst the wider electorate?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Why anyone would want to prolong the antisemetism conversation, knowing full well that it would continue to damage the part's reputation amongst the wider electorate?
    Because they haven't won the argument.
    Winning the argument matters more than anything else, including winning elections.

• Options
    Why anyone would want to prolong the antisemetism conversation, knowing full well that it would continue to damage the part's reputation amongst the wider electorate?
    Because they haven't won the argument.
    Winning the argument matters more than anything else, including winning elections.

It isn't every day you see someone who died on a particular hill leap out of their grave to make another charge at it.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Just for info the UK has been left off the list of countries where you don't need to self isolate if you're visiting Ireland.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html

• Options
    Your periodic reminder that despite Johnson's apparent conviction that he possesses some kind of man-of-the-people charm, Nicola Sturgeon is much, much better at this than he is

• Options
    It's a horrible case for him to make because in every situation where the English and Scottish response has diverged I think the Scottish response has been better. What's more all the polls I've seen show that that opinion is the large majority of people.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Reporting from Tesco today, mask uptake seems to be 90%+ and I’d guess most non-conformists were more sheepish forgetters than defiant rebels.

Get to wear my dinosaur snood in public, get a new reason to enjoy silently judging people, 10/10 would avoid spreading contagion again.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    There's a small pet food shop in my village, they have a sign on the door.
    Picture of someone in a mask = Tick
    Picture of someone without a mask = Water spray bottle
    Underneath: It works on cats, we'll try it on customers.

The owners had a parent/parent-in-law who died in a retirement home during the early days of lockdown, so they are without fucks to give for anyone not following the rules.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Oh, I totally misunderstood that one at first. I thought it was calling people wearing face masks ticks (which is what the far right in German-speaking countries call left-wing activists, punks and the like - predictably charming, eh?).

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    There's a small pet food shop in my village, they have a sign on the door.
    Picture of someone in a mask = Tick
    Picture of someone without a mask = Water spray bottle
    Underneath: It works on cats, we'll try it on customers.

The owners had a parent/parent-in-law who died in a retirement home during the early days of lockdown, so they are without fucks to give for anyone not following the rules.

Whilst I've seen cats make use of social distancing marks, I don't think I've seen any wearing masks yet.

This discussion has been closed.