As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54212654

And at long last the other shoe is acknowledged to have dropped.

But we "don't want to go into a second lockdown" because that would be "disastrous." Odd, considering that we are essentially already within what is fair to consider a natural disaster.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    what is he talking about.
    The uk never got over the first wave.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    what is he talking about.
    The uk never got over the first wave.

We're not the US. We very clearly had a first wave and are now in the second.

bgl37tmrifbb.png

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Now the question is whether this will top the first wave, and I'd say the answer depends on whether or not schools are closed down again.
    So, yes it will.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Cases probably, but perhaps not deaths with any luck.
    Our county council has arranged a meeting with the volunteer groups where they plan to update us on what they are planning to do in order to avoid a lockdown over Christmas.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    As grim as it may sound we should be seeing fewer deaths with each wave as there's less elderly and infirm people left for it to kill. The first wave already went through the care homes like wildfire, the simple fact is there will be less elderly people in them to be killed this time around.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    As grim as it may sound we should be seeing fewer deaths with each wave as there's less elderly and infirm people left for it to kill. The first wave already went through the care homes like wildfire, the simple fact is there will be less elderly people in them to be killed this time around.

Historically the second wave of pandemics tends to be worse. Not better.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It depends if you've bought enough time between first and second waves to restock your medical supplies. Also, depending on the pandemic, train/hire replacement medical personnel. COVID19 is probably capable of killing 1% of a given population (which is still way too many people!) but the real disaster is the breakdown of essential services due to huge spikes of cases.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Local lock-downs in all of Lancashire, except for Blackpool which is covered by a separate council. This one includes a curfew of 10pm

So my son can sit in a classroom with 34 people, my wife can interact with anywhere up to 200 people per day as a high school teacher, we could go to the pub or a restaurant but we can't go sit in either of our parent's back gardens

Less contact is less contact, its simply a matter of priorities. Clearly pubs should close, but to me its entirely reasonable to close and ban literally everything else that can cause transmission before you close schools.

It doesn't matter that schools are open. It matters how many opportunities there are to spread the virus, and the value of those opportunities. School is the most important thing society produces, so while it may produce many infections, its almost certainly worth it.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Thats actually a random feature of the 1918 pandemic, not any kind of rule.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    There definitely seems to be a swing against Boris in the rightward press.

I think Christmas 2020 is going to be the thing that makes or breaks him, far as the 1922 committee goes.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    I can't pissing believe we're all (the nation) having the same discussions around lockdown as before. The facts are this:
    This virus kills people.
    The more people it infects, the more it kills.
    The more we mingle, the more it infects.

Deaths might not be bad now, but they're rising, as are hospitalisations.

IF WE DON'T LOCK DOWN ASAP, WE'LL HAVE TO EVENTUALLY ANYWAY! And by then many more people will be dead, as before, and because of the delay the lockdown will have to be longer so the economy takes another kicking, meaning the worst of both world.
    It's known that locking down 2 weeks earlier would have saved up to 20 THOUSAND people. Would 3 months and 2 weeks of lock down have really cost our economy that much more than 3 months? Hell, doing it earlier will mean it'll be shorter.

Of course it's also possible the government won't enact a national shutdown, just so many 'localised' ones that it'll just feel like one, but one they can deny is a national lockdown.
    PR, the one thing you can guarantee the Tories will always end up doing first...

• Options
    edited September 2020
    A National Lockdo...sorry Circuit Breaker during half term is all but confirmed.
    The only question is whether they bring it forward to extend it, and I honestly can't see that not happening.
    Start of October (3-5th perhaps) for two to three weeks would be my prediction, probably then extended by another one or two after it starts showing signs of working but isn't there yet.

The main aim is going to be trying to make Christmas as normal as usual, and we'll just take the aftermath in Jan and Feb on the chin.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Not only is the Government faced with the prospect of many more deaths in the coming months, it's also stuck with 100s of businesses across the country saying "we've barely escaped the spring lockdown and probably still in a position of 'when, not if' we go out of business - if we lockdown again, especially in the run up to Christmas, we are properly fucked"

The hospitality industry is already reeling at the prospect of not having a festive season this year. To not even have minimal business in the autumn is going to royally fuck it to death.

In so many ways, this winter is going to be disastrous.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Maybe we shouldn't have let people go on holiday abroad, you know, seems like a bad fucking idea

What the fuck is that all about anyway

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    "Taking a holiday abroad" is one of the totemic signifiers of being part of the prosperous middle class in the UK

It's hugely significant to the lower income brackets of the Tory base

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Maybe we shouldn't have let people go on holiday abroad, you know, seems like a bad fucking idea

It was driving me batty reading the news throughout half of lockdown. Just endless "can I go on holiday", "when can I go on holiday", "where can I go on holiday", "what are the rules for going on holiday" articles. It all just left me fuming at the kind of privileged prick who thinks the real disaster here is not going to Spain this year as is his God given right. The second this shit started non essential travel should have been banned. It should still be banned. Boo fucking hoo if you don't get to go on holiday this year, not everyone gets to go abroad every year it's not a necessity, it's a frivolous luxury that we pay far too high an ecological cost for as it is. I haven't been abroad in about eight years, it hasn't killed me and it won't kill anyone else.

People need to wise up and just deal with it not being on the cards for one year. Instead we get a bizzare roulette wheel of ineffective two week quarantines selected from what seems to be random destinations and a second wave. Thank you Ken and Karen I hope your trip to Spain was worth it...

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    "Taking a holiday abroad" is one of the totemic signifiers of being part of the prosperous middle class in the UK

It's hugely significant to the lower income brackets of the Tory base

Smashing the nail firmly on the head here. It's as crucial as owning a second hand Audi or Range Rover with a private plate to obscure the age. Just mind numbingly, small minded petty bullshit that people are literally dying for.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My uncle, aunt, his two daughters and at least one of the daughters' boyfriends went to Portugal a couple of weeks ago. My uncle is really overweight and suffered pleurisy as a result of blood clots in his lungs after flying back from India in February. My other aunt begged him not to go. He did anyway. People are dumb.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So according to Dido Harding "the science" didn't predict the surge in test requests triggered by schools going back.

I found this hard to believe.
    Yet...

Although there was a followup saying it wasn't SAGE's job to predict demand

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Given the infection modelling was used to predict test demand that is bollocks.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's not my job to predict the weather, but I can still look at the clouds and think 'Hmm, maybe it's about to rain, I should plan accordingly'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Utterly irrelevant. You’re referring to a second wave caused by a disease naturally peaking while running unchecked due to running out of susceptible hosts, and then re-emerging due to adapting in some way to increase its range.

This is a second wave caused by a massive lockdown in human contact cutting the infection rate followed by a relaxing of that restriction, not a change in the virus.

The two are entirely unrelated.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Solar wrote: »

It was driving me batty reading the news throughout half of lockdown. Just endless "can I go on holiday", "when can I go on holiday", "where can I go on holiday", "what are the rules for going on holiday" articles. It all just left me fuming at the kind of privileged prick who thinks the real disaster here is not going to Spain this year as is his God given right. The second this shit started non essential travel should have been banned. It should still be banned. Boo fucking hoo if you don't get to go on holiday this year, not everyone gets to go abroad every year it's not a necessity, it's a frivolous luxury that we pay far too high an ecological cost for as it is. I haven't been abroad in about eight years, it hasn't killed me and it won't kill anyone else.

People need to wise up and just deal with it not being on the cards for one year. Instead we get a bizzare roulette wheel of ineffective two week quarantines selected from what seems to be random destinations and a second wave. Thank you Ken and Karen I hope your trip to Spain was worth it...

To be fair, this is the last year of it being so easy for you folks.

Edit: obviously, I am being facetious

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    It really brings joy to my cold dead heart to hear how miserable Boris is as PM:

The Times is a newspaper.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    If you're on a six figure salary and struggling for cash.

Well fuck you is all I can say

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Almost makes me want him to stay PM forever

• Options
    Yikes

I had been wondering why the Scottish press hadn't been focusing on testing availability in the way that the national orgs had

(Alyn Smith is an SNP MP, the map is from The Times)

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yikes

I had been wondering why the Scottish press hadn't been focusing on testing availability in the way that the national orgs had

I must be off base here, because I don’t quite see how local MP’s have an impact on whether testing resources are available. Aren’t those resources described and allocated nationally?

• Options
    Imagine having to support your kids? How unfair!

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    I must be off base here, because I don’t quite see how local MP’s have an impact on whether testing resources are available. Aren’t those resources described and allocated nationally?

It took me a second too, but he's pointing out how the Scotland (and Northern Ireland) have booking rates of 80%-100% while England and Wales are more in the 20%-40% range. (It's more apparent if you open up the image and see the entirety of the UK.)

I'm not sure how the resources are allocated, but it's evident that the Scottish and Irish are doing something better.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I just learned about the worst electoral system that isn't just a complete sham I have heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Guernsey_general_election#Electoral_system
    The electoral system was changed as a result of a 2018 referendum. The 38 members of the States will be elected from a single island-wide constituency by plurality-at-large voting, with voters being able to cast up to 38 votes.[6]
    The referendum passed 52.5% to 47.5%

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Yikes

Health is devolved in Scotland and NI, so the NHS in Scotland is run entirely by the Scottish government

My impression this far had been that the Scottish testing sites were administered by the regional NHS Boards in Scotland rather than Serco as in England, but I can't find any good information on whether that's the case or not

Having said that, it would be unusual if Westminster was making decisions about how health funding was spent in Scotland or NI, because the governing legislation is set up to prevent that

• Options
    Though isn't that because Scotland has it's own facility allotted to it, which is presumably running close to full capacity - whilst England as fewer facilities per 10,000 people and so they're all swamped.
    I didn't think the Scottish Government arranged for their own testing facilities? It's still all Lighthouse.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    To be fair, having the Irish Sea in the way does prevent NI from being a testing site option for pretty much anywhere else.

The overall handling of covid overe here has been a bit of a mixed bag. Some good steps, like actually having a working test and trace app before the rest of the UK, but a lot of blindly following whatever westminster is doing without a lot of regard for applicability. Also have the right wing nonsense seeping in through the dup as you'd expect.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It's not my job to predict the weather, but I can still look at the clouds and think 'Hmm, maybe it's about to rain, I should plan accordingly'.

Even so, you can listen to those whose job it is and also plan accordingly.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

Should have thought about this before he had them really. Isn't that what he tells single mothers?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options

Should have thought about this before he had them really. Isn't that what he tells single mothers?

Ah, but he's a man you see. That makes it totally different.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I thought a few of his kids were quantum entangled?

This discussion has been closed.